Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Should Wojo Be Fired?

Fire Wojo
Retain Wojo

Author Topic: Poll: Post Hiroshima  (Read 26020 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Poll: Post Hiroshima
« Reply #150 on: April 18, 2019, 09:33:32 AM »
I'm exactly aware of what Xavier's situation was. Based on the talent they had they should have been an NCAA at large. Not a high one but in the tournament nonetheless Steele underperformed.

You ignored my question. You say firing a head coach for losing the team and hiring one his assistants happens all the time. Can you give some examples at the high major level? I can think of times when a coach was fired because of recruiting violations or legal issues but not outside of that.
I like how your willing to give Wojo 6 years , but won’t give Steele a few months to get his bearings .

I gave you the Frieder /Steve Fischer example . Bo Schembechler forced out then fired Frieder because the two did not get along.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #151 on: April 18, 2019, 09:51:42 AM »
I like how your willing to give Wojo 6 years , but won’t give Steele a few months to get his bearings .

I gave you the Frieder /Steve Fischer example . Bo Schembechler forced out then fired Frieder because the two did not get along.

When did I say I wasn't willing to give Steele time? I said I would need more than last season to declare him better than Wojo.

Im sorry you didn't ignore my question, I don't know how I missed that. But you did answer my question badly. Frieden wasn't fired for bad performance. He was fired because he announced he was taking another job at the end of the season. Fisher was promoted because he was the assistant of a successful coach.

Plus,  you said this happens all the time. Who else you got?  Surely there's an example that's not 30 years old.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2019, 10:04:19 AM »
I don't think that's why he's not an option now.

AFAIK, he's had zero off-the-court issues.  He got MS State (MISSISSIPPI STATE!) to a five seed in his fourth season.  None of his players have written letters to the coaching staff (again, AFAIK)

If we gave him a call, I bet he picks up the phone and listens.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #153 on: April 18, 2019, 10:09:09 AM »
AFAIK, he's had zero off-the-court issues.  He got MS State (MISSISSIPPI STATE!) to a five seed in his fourth season.  None of his players have written letters to the coaching staff (again, AFAIK)

Just hire Pitino. Onesto will reap the benefits.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #154 on: April 18, 2019, 10:10:45 AM »

Howland is making more than Wojo.  Why would we fire Wojo (and pay remainder of his buyout) to hire Howland (and likely need to up his salary as well).  You'd be talking around $4.5 million annually, paying for two head coaches.  Not happening.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #155 on: April 18, 2019, 10:31:22 AM »
Howland is making more than Wojo.  Why would we fire Wojo (and pay remainder of his buyout) to hire Howland (and likely need to up his salary as well).  You'd be talking around $4.5 million annually, paying for two head coaches.  Not happening.
I don't understand the narrative that MU can't pay more than they currently pay Wojo. A coach is compensated based upon their market value. (some could argue Wojo is over paid) With MU's resources I could easily see them paying a coach $3MM per year. Not saying we want Howland or that we could go to $4.5MM per year, but maybe MU could pay that much.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #156 on: April 18, 2019, 10:32:41 AM »
I don't understand the narrative that MU can't pay more than they currently pay Wojo. A coach is compensated based upon their market value. (some could argue Wojo is over paid) With MU's resources I could easily see them paying a coach $3MM per year. Not saying we want Howland or that we could go to $4.5MM per year, but maybe MU could pay that much.

Our admin thought that Buzz was making too much at $3.5 million...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #157 on: April 18, 2019, 10:40:29 AM »

You AFAIK is not very F
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #158 on: April 18, 2019, 11:01:58 AM »
Y'all are focused on should Wojo bee chit canned. Butt, watt if Steve wanted outta dis gig and wuz actively seekin' another job. Maybe he wood welcome leavin' Peyton Place, hey?
Where there’s smoke there’s fire eh?
No Finish Line

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #159 on: April 18, 2019, 11:12:15 AM »
Our admin thought that Buzz was making too much at $3.5 million...
Thanks for proving my point. MU can pay that much, maybe more now. Did they think that was too much due to the "issues" going on and Buzz's role in it?

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #160 on: April 18, 2019, 11:49:40 AM »
Thanks for proving my point. MU can pay that much, maybe more now. Did they think that was too much due to the "issues" going on and Buzz's role in it?

Buzz was making $3.5 million not because admin thought the head coach was worth that much, but because he was smarter at reading fine print of contracts.  He had an escalating contract, with a guaranteed five-year roll-over clause, upon the conclusion of every season.  Again, if our school thought a coach who went to two Sweet 16s and an Elite Eight was making too much money, do you really think they are going to go out, spend more, on a proven coach? 

The last acting head coach Marquette hired was Mike Deane in 1994 (over 25 years ago).  I just don't see it if/when we are looking again.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #161 on: April 18, 2019, 02:16:01 PM »
Buzz was making $3.5 million not because admin thought the head coach was worth that much, but because he was smarter at reading fine print of contracts.
That would be incredibly damning of the administration of a large national university if true. No wonder Buzz left knowing how inept the leadership of MU was.

Everyone should rethink donating money to MU if they made such a massive error in negotiating with a basketball coach who had no counsel. How many millions has MU pissed away in the hundreds or thousands of other contracts they have entered into?

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #162 on: May 03, 2019, 12:42:16 PM »
Has it actually been more than two weeks since we've had a new poll on whether or not to fire Wojo? C'mon, Scoop. Very disappointing.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #163 on: May 03, 2019, 11:37:10 PM »
Who are these people voting yes?  Like seriously - are people happy with the on-court product for the past 5 years?  It baffles me.

Guess you missed the more than 3 decades before Buzz with a total of 2 Sweet 16s. That's been par. Buzz was the exception. The disappointment of coach Ks first 5 years would have certainly had you voting to fire him and look what you would have missed.

My guess is the percent you are in is really about 5% of fans - many times as many fans who are upset as content call talk radio or get in the blog's.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.