[Today at 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Now What  (Read 16384 times)

withoutbias

• All American
Re: Now What
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2019, 12:37:11 PM »
Let's just say that without Stan Johnson that locker room would be half empty right now.

This has never been about the Hausers vs Markus or any of the other things written about playing time, shots, baby blues vs gold. This has been about Wojo.

And the Hausers are far from the only ones fed up. Without Stan there are several more empty lockers today.

ill leave my commentary out of it this time and simply ask the question since i havent gotten an answer yet.  if it was never about the hausers vs markus or shots then why did the hausers, according to the hauser parents, "really hope markus was gone?"

secondary question would be if markus had signed an agent and left school are the hausers transferring out of marquette?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2019, 12:47:14 PM »
Revolutionary stuff.

The reports of Wojo's death are greatly exaggerated.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2019, 12:51:39 PM »
The reports of Wojo's death are greatly exaggerated.

lovell

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2019, 01:08:14 PM »
Let's just say that without Stan Johnson that locker room would be half empty right now.

This has never been about the Hausers vs Markus or any of the other things written about playing time, shots, baby blues vs gold. This has been about Wojo.

And the Hausers are far from the only ones fed up. Without Stan there are several more empty lockers today.
Another reason in support of my notion to fire Wojo and replace with Stan.

Wojo brings zero positive value to this program right now. He is an impediment to the success .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2019, 03:11:00 PM »
Crean, Buzz and Wojo all had players who hated them. They all had multiple players who needed to be talked out of transferring by assistants every single year. This isn't new. Players typically dislike the head coach and develop relationships with assistants.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2019, 03:16:25 PM »
Speed kills.    MU is going to be faster in 19-20.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2019, 03:17:45 PM »
Speed kills.    MU is going to be faster in 19-20.

Gotta chase all those long rebounds from missed threes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2019, 03:31:53 PM »
Counter balanced by transition baskets and guards getting to the rack.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2019, 03:49:03 PM »
ill leave my commentary out of it this time and simply ask the question since i havent gotten an answer yet.  if it was never about the hausers vs markus or shots then why did the hausers, according to the hauser parents, "really hope markus was gone?"

secondary question would be if markus had signed an agent and left school are the hausers transferring out of marquette?
Because the issue that Wojo was unwilling or incapable of correcting would have resolved itself
No Finish Line

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2019, 03:51:01 PM »
Counter balanced by transition baskets and guards getting to the rack.   

Need space to get to the rack.

I just think we're really glossing over losing 133 3PT makes at a 41% clip. That's not easy to replace. This team, as constructed, will have huge difficulty scoring consistently.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2019, 03:56:57 PM »
Need space to get to the rack.

I just think we're really glossing over losing 133 3PT makes at a 41% clip. That's not easy to replace. This team, as constructed, will have huge difficulty scoring consistently.

+1

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2019, 04:09:07 PM »
Bailey's shot will improve.   Sacar shot 36%.   Cain may recover his freshman form.   Greg has two good hands.    I think you are obsessing over the 3 pt shot and ignoring faster players.   

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2019, 04:16:46 PM »
Bailey's shot will improve.   Sacar shot 36%.   Cain may recover his freshman form.   Greg has two good hands.    I think you are obsessing over the 3 pt shot and ignoring faster players.

Obsessing? C'mon.

If we have seen anything over the last 5 years it's that Wojo values the three point shot in his offense. He'll either have to adjust, or find a grad transfer that can knock down the three.

I hope you're right and the guys improve enough to make it work. We'll see.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2019, 04:24:09 PM »
Obsessing? C'mon.

If we have seen anything over the last 5 years it's that Wojo values the three point shot in his offense. He'll either have to adjust, or find a grad transfer that can knock down the three.

I hope you're right and the guys improve enough to make it work. We'll see.

Wojo had to value the 3pt shot because that was the only thing his teams were good at.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2019, 04:30:00 PM »
I think it's a legit concern.  You have to be able to shoot the 3 to win in college basketball.  Hopefully McEwen or Elliott have been working on their shooting to the point that they can be a reliable option.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2019, 04:45:48 PM »
Shooting threes is important in college basketball. But it's not everything.

It's true that Virginia shot 39.5% (8th best nationally) from three-point range. Then again, the Cavaliers did a lot of things well offensively -- turning the ball over on just 14.7 of their possessions (12th), for instance. A lot more goes into their 2nd best offensive ranking than just 3-point shooting.

On the other hand, Michigan managed to win 30 games shooting just 34.2% (176th) from beyond the arc. Nova won the Big East shooting 35.2% (126th). Duke nearly won it all despite its awful 30.8% outside shooting (327th).

I'm good with MU taking and making fewer threes (say dropping from 38.8% as a team to 36%) if it means the defense is better and we're scoring more in transition and on drives to the basket.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2019, 04:49:25 PM »
And we reduce our turnover rate.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2019, 04:52:50 PM »
If Marquette's 3 point percentage drops by 3%, that is one more miss out of 33 attempts.   If MU cuts down on turnovers and gets two more fast break baskets per game, Marquette comes out ahead.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2019, 04:58:42 PM »
If Marquette's 3 point percentage drops by 3%, that is one more miss out of 33 attempts.   If MU cuts down on turnovers and gets two more fast break baskets per game, Marquette comes out ahead.

Also, more free throw attempts.
Koby and Greg have averaged 6.9 FTA in their careers. The Hausers combined for 5 last year.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2019, 06:34:31 PM »
Wojo had to value the 3pt shot because that was the only thing his teams were good at.

Who recruited those guys?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2019, 06:47:58 PM »

I believe Duke was at 30% on threes. Still averaged 80+.

Slashing to the hoop and shooting lots of FTs can mask lots of other issues.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2019, 06:57:54 PM »
Low bar.  Seriously.   Freshman forwards other than Sam the last 10 years that amounted to anything.   Henry, Burton and really nothing else to brag about under either Buzz or Wojo.

Yes and who does the recruiting? Of the three, two transferred and one went pro prematurely. Just adds to the track record.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2019, 06:59:01 PM »
Yes and who does the recruiting? Of the three, two transferred and one went pro prematurely. Just adds to the track record.

Wojo.   Buzz.   And Wojo actually has a better record with freshman forwards than Buzz did. 

Class71

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2019, 10:03:49 PM »
Wojo.   Buzz.   And Wojo actually has a better record with freshman forwards than Buzz did.

Yes, I have also noticed this is another meaningless discussion that will not change your opinion or mine. Think I  will move on. Good luck to all next year.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2019, 11:43:34 PM »
So, an associate head coach, that still supports Wojo, did what he's supposed to do and help calm folks down.

Kudos Stan!  Thanks for having Wojo's back!

Yep. This just in: Assistant does his job!

Not the sexiest of headlines, but that appears to be what happened.

As for those who are concerned about our 3-point shooting ...

I am one of those. But players do improve. Please raise your hand if you thought going into last season that Sacar would shoot 39% from 3-point range. Unfortunately, he slumped along with Sam, Joey and Markus at the end. It was the perfect storm of clankitude.

We apparently are going to be small, so we need to shoot 3s. Here's hoping we have a couple of guys who improve at it at least as much as Sacar did this past season. Bailey? McEwen? Buehler? Buehler?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson