[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What is really relevant  (Read 26268 times)

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
Re: What is really relevant
« Reply #125 on: April 20, 2019, 11:31:31 AM »
Al recruited an all american in Meminger and told him they would run uptempo. When he got here, Al convinced Dean to run a control the tempo, defensive first style. seems simple enough to me-- they both wanted to win.

Very well said.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #126 on: April 20, 2019, 11:48:13 AM »
Al recruited an all american in Meminger and told him they would run uptempo. When he got here, Al convinced Dean to run a control the tempo, defensive first style. seems simple enough to me-- they both wanted to win.
This implies that in our current situation, either Wojo, Markus, or both don’t want to win. So which one of them is it? 

Or do only the poor mis-used Hauser brothers want to win?  Or are they the only ones that can suss out how to best win games with current roster? 

Either question is really laughable if you step back from the emotions involved, don’t you think? 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #127 on: April 20, 2019, 11:55:43 AM »
Through his actions/non-actions, Wojo has lost his team. Terrible characteristic of a leader and one that, in my opinion because of the scope of mistrust, is not retrievable.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #128 on: April 20, 2019, 12:05:31 PM »
Through his actions/non-actions, Wojo has lost his team. Terrible characteristic of a leader and one that, in my opinion because of the scope of mistrust, is not retrievable.

Although I hope you're wrong, I'm pretty sure you're right. I don't know how Wojo's program recovers from this.

What would you do about it now?

Tear off the Band-Aid by firing Wojo immediately and then either promoting an assistant or hiring a guy like Matta? Not many other options (other than keeping Wojo as part of a "show us" season) that I can see.

I'm actually asking for speculation, because based on everything I've read and heard, there seems to be about 0.00001% chance of MU firing Wojo.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2019, 12:18:08 PM »
I'd make a coaching change and the sooner, the better. May have to promote an assistant now on a temporary basis.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2019, 12:23:08 PM »
I'd make a coaching change and the sooner, the better. May have to promote an assistant now on a temporary basis.

I'm not 100% sure I'd choose that option, but if it happened I wouldn't object.

My only problem is that it is difficult bordering on impossible for an interim coach to recruit, and there sure seems to be some nice 2020 recruits that are attainable. But then again, might be impossible for a tainted Wojo to land them, too.

Thanks for the conversation.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2019, 12:23:13 PM »
Although I hope you're wrong, I'm pretty sure you're right. I don't know how Wojo's program recovers from this.

What would you do about it now?

There's a lot more here than we have seen and read so far. The public speculation notwithstanding along with the rumors and innuendos lead me to believe there are very heavy dark clouds around the MU program -- and unlike West Bend Insurance, there's no silver lining.

From the Hauser standpoint, the one thing I noticed as Joey played is that there was some growing up to do in his part. You have a young man who had star treatment all his life suddenly finding out he might possibly not even be our starting forward next year. He had weaknesses that were noticeable and hurting our team. Instead of fixing his problem and making himself indispensable, he runs. Sam, I still don't get. Period.

Regardless, this is a huge breakdown on Wojo's part. Either something was said, or not said, in the recruiting process or during the season that led Joey to believe he's a lot better than he showed last year. Maybe he is, but it's up to a coach to get what the team needs from each player. The fact that things broke down so badly that the Hausers up and left is something that not only will be a deterrent to our dreams next year but I have to believe dramatically will impair the 2020 recruiting class.

As to the discussions about Al McGuire, the only think I believe having watched Marquette basketball for close to 53 years is that under Coach McGuire, the Hauser problem never would have happened. Either Joey would never have come to Marquette or he would have done what Al wanted. Al once was fond of telling a recruit, "I'm going to win with you or without you!" Another Al legend was a time during the protests over the Vietnam war when he simply looked at some kids and said, "you aren't Marquette Basketball... I am."

The point: Leadership starts and ends with the Head Coach. That's Count 1 against Coach Wojo.

I'm sure the Hausers are good young men who simply want to play basketball and, perhaps, make a living doing it. I hope we can fix the problem but if we can't, then move to cut your losses quickly.

Thad Matta... you're up!

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2019, 12:30:51 PM »
This thread is so stupid, MU lost two self absorbed malcontents and u guys are ready to fire tge coach n shut down the program.  What bunch of losers.  Ive fained respect fir Wojo from this whole deal.  F the Hausers, gtf out!!  Glad to see Wojo said the same thing.  Program bigger than those two selfish bitches.
Doesnt appear losing teo unathketic crybabies has hurt recruiting too much.  As we have half a dozen ir more in homes with Top 50 kids lined up. 
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2019, 12:53:06 PM »
Sand Knit

Even if everything you say is correct, how could anyone be happy that we lost two guys that likely will end up at a top tier program? Furthermore, to be counting on a kid some thought might transfer to Detroit is beyond insanity.
As for visits with top 50 kids, that is great if you land them. Some on here fear that negative talk on Scoop can scare away recruits, how about two top players leaving going into “the year” many believed was going to be “The Year” for the program?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 03:35:14 PM by Goose »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2019, 12:58:01 PM »
There's a lot more here than we have seen and read so far. The public speculation notwithstanding along with the rumors and innuendos lead me to believe there are very heavy dark clouds around the MU program -- and unlike West Bend Insurance, there's no silver lining.

From the Hauser standpoint, the one thing I noticed as Joey played is that there was some growing up to do in his part. You have a young man who had star treatment all his life suddenly finding out he might possibly not even be our starting forward next year. He had weaknesses that were noticeable and hurting our team. Instead of fixing his problem and making himself indispensable, he runs. Sam, I still don't get. Period.

Regardless, this is a huge breakdown on Wojo's part. Either something was said, or not said, in the recruiting process or during the season that led Joey to believe he's a lot better than he showed last year. Maybe he is, but it's up to a coach to get what the team needs from each player. The fact that things broke down so badly that the Hausers up and left is something that not only will be a deterrent to our dreams next year but I have to believe dramatically will impair the 2020 recruiting class.

As to the discussions about Al McGuire, the only think I believe having watched Marquette basketball for close to 53 years is that under Coach McGuire, the Hauser problem never would have happened. Either Joey would never have come to Marquette or he would have done what Al wanted. Al once was fond of telling a recruit, "I'm going to win with you or without you!" Another Al legend was a time during the protests over the Vietnam war when he simply looked at some kids and said, "you aren't Marquette Basketball... I am."

The point: Leadership starts and ends with the Head Coach. That's Count 1 against Coach Wojo.

I'm sure the Hausers are good young men who simply want to play basketball and, perhaps, make a living doing it. I hope we can fix the problem but if we can't, then move to cut your losses quickly.

Thad Matta... you're up!

I really appreciate this comment, dg.

You hold Wojo accountable and you want to move the program forward. Yet you do not absolve the Hausers of the role they had in this and you do not throw Markus under the bus.

It's a nuanced, grown-up, no-name-calling look at a complex situation that is difficult for everybody who loves Marquette basketball.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2019, 02:18:10 PM »
I really appreciate this comment, dg.

You hold Wojo accountable and you want to move the program forward. Yet you do not absolve the Hausers of the role they had in this and you do not throw Markus under the bus.

It's a nuanced, grown-up, no-name-calling look at a complex situation that is difficult for everybody who loves Marquette basketball.

You are welcome.

I’d like to think we can get pass this one. That the recruiting trail looks promising.

But in a sales battle to the death where small intangibles can make a universe sized difference, I fear for the worst. Heck, while I don’t sell to 17 year olds, I sell all the time and I’ve seen how little things can balloon into massive reasons for doing something that’s not in the seller’s interests. Or the buyer’s.

That’s why I calling the Hauser problem, Wojo’s Dumpster Fire.

The buck stops with Wojo. Period.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 03:53:34 PM by dgies9156 »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2019, 03:27:12 PM »

Think the only positive about the hausers leaving is that 4never has finally found the queen's English.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2019, 03:34:32 PM »
This implies that in our current situation, either Wojo, Markus, or both don’t want to win. So which one of them is it? 

Or do only the poor mis-used Hauser brothers want to win?  Or are they the only ones that can suss out how to best win games with current roster? 

Either question is really laughable if you step back from the emotions involved, don’t you think?

Exactly, it essentially becomes the anti wojo people saying he handled it wrong

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2019, 03:35:05 PM »

Sooooooo soooooo stupid

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #139 on: April 20, 2019, 03:38:13 PM »
Sand Knit

Even if everything you say is correct, how could anyone be happy that we lost two guys that likely will end up at a top tier program? Furthermore, to be counting on a kid some thought might transfer to Detroit is beyond insanity.
As for visits with top 50 kids, that is great if you land them. Some on here fear that negative talk on Scoop can scare away recruits, how about two top players leaving going into “the year” many believed was going to be “The Year” for the program?

Were u being this big of a jacka$$ abd calling fir Creans head when ODB transferred for similarly selfish reasons? Had Crean lost tge program?  Odd that hes lost the program because two brothers left but not the other 11
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 03:41:35 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #140 on: April 20, 2019, 03:46:42 PM »
Think the only positive about the hausers leaving is that 4never has finally found the queen's English.

Totally pissed off, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #141 on: April 20, 2019, 03:55:11 PM »

This is a queen

This is the Queen

Goose

• All American
« Reply #142 on: April 20, 2019, 04:03:39 PM »
Sand Knut

I am 99% certain you have 0% understanding of my position on current situation or past situations. For the record, if Wojo had the greatest player in a storied history returning next season, the Hauser defection would have different meaning.

We lost two top players because a non top ten player in school history is being overused. There is zero comparison in the ODB transfer and current situation.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #143 on: April 20, 2019, 04:16:03 PM »
Sand Knut

I am 99% certain you have 0% understanding of my position on current situation or past situations. For the record, if Wojo had the greatest player in a storied history returning next season, the Hauser defection would have different meaning.

We lost two top players because a non top ten player in school history is being overused. There is zero comparison in the ODB transfer and current situation.

Joe

Trying to reason with guys like Sandy is a waste of time.

I love how the self-proclaimed hoops experts here have no clue as to what is happening. The speculation without empiricism is laughable.

Thank God for the Meat Eating Underboard!

Hey, did you get a chance to try Bombano's place on the Bund?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #144 on: April 20, 2019, 04:19:53 PM »
Crash

Did not make it to Bimbano’s joint. Was going to take my nephew there on Wednesday night and he was delayed getting into Shanghai. The menu looks awesome and I will get there when back late next month.

Back to ball, thankfully Stan shut the door on couple more guys taking an early exit. The level of distrust is awfully high amongst the troops.

Happy Easter to you and the fella’s.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 04:22:13 PM by Goose »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #145 on: April 20, 2019, 05:17:35 PM »
You need to understand the underlying causes and issues before you begin making obtuse comparisons.

Comparing Tim Maymon to Dave and Stephanie Hauser is both churlish and insulting to a fine family.

This isn't one of your insipid ten observations lists you post within seconds of the final buzzer of each Marquette game. This is a life altering event that was taken with considerable deliberation by good people who had legitimate concerns about the coach.

Instead of listening and understanding their concerns, which were not centered on how many times their sons got the ball by the way, Wojo patronized them with trite, banal platitudes which trivialized their feelings.

And it's not just the Hausers. Wojo has a major mutiny going on - we could lose many more.

Your comparison of Tim Maymon with the Hauser family is not just flawed intellectually but deeply repulsive. Like your Top Ten lists it is both tedious and unremarkable.

You never want the prisoners running the asylum. For any reason. Even if the warden might be wrong in his philosophy, you still don't want that. It's just opinion, of course. And if the coach gives in to a player's ultimatum, he has now absolutely lost control.

If the warden's philosophy is wrong, eventually that warden will be replaced.

Also, attacking tower for posting post game thoughts is pretty low. At least his postings aren't plagiarized.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #146 on: April 20, 2019, 06:35:15 PM »
You never want the prisoners running the asylum. For any reason. Even if the warden might be wrong in his philosophy, you still don't want that. It's just opinion, of course. And if the coach gives in to a player's ultimatum, he has now absolutely lost control.

If the warden's philosophy is wrong, eventually that warden will be replaced.

Also, attacking tower for posting post game thoughts is pretty low. At least his postings aren't plagiarized.

Comparing the Hausers to Tim Maymon is despicable. There is no excuse for doing that. Period. Certainly one of the lowest things ever written here.

Sorry but I never plagiarized anything in my life. That was Sultan's narrative and he's a toad.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #147 on: April 20, 2019, 06:44:30 PM »
Certainly one of the lowest things ever written here.

Really?

Ners wrote a half-dozen lower posts than that per day, and we won't even talk about the foul-mouthed, spelling-challenged MSK.

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #148 on: April 20, 2019, 06:51:39 PM »
This thread is so stupid, MU lost two self absorbed malcontents and u guys are ready to fire tge coach n shut down the program.  What bunch of losers.  Ive fained respect fir Wojo from this whole deal.  F the Hausers, gtf out!!  Glad to see Wojo said the same thing.  Program bigger than those two selfish bitches.
Doesnt appear losing teo unathketic crybabies has hurt recruiting too much.  As we have half a dozen ir more in homes with Top 50 kids lined up.

Agree. Sam wanted more shots. Took his ball and his brother and went home.

Good riddance.

Wojo is the coach, not Sam and his dad.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2019, 06:58:59 PM »

Thad Matta.

Tanned, rested, ready.