[Today at 05:16:12 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Jeopardy!  (Read 18922 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Jeopardy!
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2019, 11:32:06 AM »
Article on how much this might be costing the show.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/04/james-holzhauer-vs-jeopardys-prize-budget-game-show/587668/

Mentions that games shows sometimes buy insurance for big payouts, but Jeopardy's payout rate is usually pretty steady so they may have "self insured."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2019, 05:29:28 PM »
Friday's show was interesting.  He seemed "off his game" and the other two contestants were hanging around.  At the end of first round, he only had around $5k or so, and the others were fairly close.

Of course, he finished with $80k plus.  Even with what seemed like an "off" game he managed to post a score higher than any other player has ever gotten.  Crazy.

Sham was close to Secretariat, for about 3/4 of a Mile, in the Belmont too.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2019, 06:20:11 PM »
This kind of reminds me of my sophomore year at West Hall. Jeopardy aired on the Chicago station an hour earlier than Milwaukee. We were able to get the Chicago station in our room, so we watched. We then went downstairs and answered all of the questions when the Milwaukee broadcast aired.  It really impressed the ladies

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2019, 07:33:17 AM »
This kind of reminds me of my sophomore year at West Hall. Jeopardy aired on the Chicago station an hour earlier than Milwaukee. We were able to get the Chicago station in our room, so we watched. We then went downstairs and answered all of the questions when the Milwaukee broadcast aired.  It really impressed the ladies

Is this you?  You're right...the ladies did look pretty impressed.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2019, 09:59:43 PM »
After “only” 22 episodes, James now has all of the top 10 single-day totals in Jeopardy history.

His total winnings of $1,691,008 makes his daily average $76,864. This is just $136 below the previous single-day record. Amazing.

He did win by just $18 on Monday. Aside from that one, he continues to blow people away.

Next week is the Teachers Tournament, so he’ll be off for a week.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2019, 10:07:22 PM »
After “only” 22 episodes, James now has all of the top 10 single-day totals in Jeopardy history.

His total winnings of $1,691,008 makes his daily average $76,864. This is just $136 below the previous single-day record. Amazing.

He did win by just $18 on Monday. Aside from that one, he continues to blow people away.

Next week is the Teachers Tournament, so he’ll be off for a week.

Next 2 weeks is the teachers tournament. Hopefully there is a Colby to root for.

But I like to throw handfuls...

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2019, 07:27:36 AM »
I remember how popular the 64k question was on TV in the 50s; then we found out it was rigged. Not saying that is happening now but who knows.

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2019, 07:28:53 AM »
There is zero reason for Jeopardy to be rigged.  Cmon...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2019, 10:20:17 PM »
There is zero reason for Jeopardy to be rigged.  Cmon...

I think it may be reverse-rigged.
Just as the whole country started tuning in, today Jeopardy started a two week long “Teachers Tournament”....with Vegas James not returning for a fortnight.

Makes me wonder........I’ll take NEW GIGS for $800, Alex.

The former CEO of this company is now the scheduling/programming director at ABC.

What is SEARS!
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2019, 08:11:37 AM »
James was back at it last night after the two-week hiatus.  He ended with $89k+.  After 23 consecutive wins, he now holds the top 13 single-day totals ever.  $1.78 million and counting.  Oh, and his average is now higher than the previous single-day record.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2019, 09:07:52 AM »
James was back at it last night after the two-week hiatus.  He ended with $89k+.  After 23 consecutive wins, he now holds the top 13 single-day totals ever.  $1.78 million and counting.  Oh, and his average is now higher than the previous single-day record.
finally watched him. Impressive, and still confused on why he bets the odd amounts in the daily doubles. He almost incorrectly answered a question too!

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2019, 09:40:52 AM »
finally watched him. Impressive, and still confused on why he bets the odd amounts in the daily doubles. He almost incorrectly answered a question too!

The amounts usually correspond to special dates like his anniversary or family and friends birthdays.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2019, 11:09:47 AM »
Next 2 weeks is the teachers tournament. Hopefully there is a Colby to root for.

He was my son's high school Scholastic Bowl coach.  Quirky guy.

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2019, 08:07:32 PM »
Didn’t land On either of the daily doubles in the double jeopardy round.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2019, 07:28:55 AM »
Didn’t land On either of the daily doubles in the double jeopardy round.

And, got the first daily double on the first pick of the game.  I'd guess he often got somewhere in the neighborhood of $20-$25k on daily doubles.  He got a total of $1k last night.  That, coupled with two strong opponents, was his downfall.

I know that a lot of people questioned his final wager, but it was perfect from a strategic point of view.  I know some think he threw the game, but I'm not convinced.  I'm 100% positive, of course.  But, if he threw it, he did so by not buzzing in during the game, not on his final wager.  His final wager was dead on to maximize his chance of winning.  It just also happened to be too little, too late.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2019, 10:52:19 AM »
And, got the first daily double on the first pick of the game.  I'd guess he often got somewhere in the neighborhood of $20-$25k on daily doubles.  He got a total of $1k last night.  That, coupled with two strong opponents, was his downfall.

I know that a lot of people questioned his final wager, but it was perfect from a strategic point of view.  I know some think he threw the game, but I'm not convinced.  I'm 100% positive, of course.  But, if he threw it, he did so by not buzzing in during the game, not on his final wager.  His final wager was dead on to maximize his chance of winning.  It just also happened to be too little, too late.

This is why I think he threw the game.  Admittedly I was getting ready to go play some basketball when I started watching and when it was still close as I was getting ready to leave I just fast forwarded to near the end of Double Jeopardy so maybe the girl figured it out, but you could see at times that she'd be hitting the buzzer multiple times.  James normally absolutely kills people when they do that.  He seemed to just be sitting around letting the other two get their chances to answer.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2019, 11:11:49 AM »
James was adamant early on that he only buzzed in when he knew the answers. Perhaps the categories weren't to his liking. Or maybe he just wanted to be done and not unseat Jennings.  Either way he was fun to watch.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2019, 11:16:51 AM »
This is why I think he threw the game.  Admittedly I was getting ready to go play some basketball when I started watching and when it was still close as I was getting ready to leave I just fast forwarded to near the end of Double Jeopardy so maybe the girl figured it out, but you could see at times that she'd be hitting the buzzer multiple times.  James normally absolutely kills people when they do that.  He seemed to just be sitting around letting the other two get their chances to answer.
I read that he still answered more questions correctly than either of his opponents. Between the three of them, they only missed one question.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2019, 11:21:13 AM »
James was adamant early on that he only buzzed in when he knew the answers. Perhaps the categories weren't to his liking. Or maybe he just wanted to be done and not unseat Jennings.  Either way he was fun to watch.
I don't get the logic of not wanting to unseat Ken Jennings.. You'd have a tough convincing anyone to willingly give up a job that was paying about 350K a week.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2019, 11:33:57 AM »
I don't get the logic of not wanting to unseat Ken Jennings.. You'd have a tough convincing anyone to willingly give up a job that was paying about 350K a week.

Yeah I basically agree with you.  Not getting the daily doubles, and categories that he didn't seem comfortable with, were ultimately why he lost.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2019, 12:02:25 PM »
Yeah I basically agree with you.  Not getting the daily doubles, and categories that he didn't seem comfortable with, were ultimately why he lost.

I also agree.  I don't think he threw it, but I'm surprised by how many people seem to think that he did.

Very early on in his run you could easily deduce the kid of "perfect storm" that would need to occur for him to lose.  Aside from the obvious (i.e., a capable opponent) the biggest key would be getting shut out of the daily doubles.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2019, 09:17:26 AM »
Rovell proving once again why he is the worst. Tweeting this out in the morning.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1135583612626231300

Was it really his 33rd episode?
Damnit.

Free Masonic alchemy again.

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2021, 08:45:24 AM »
Aaron Rodgers was great as host, and the "question" asked by the defending champion was hilarious.

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1379199866807578624?s=20