[Today at 02:58:27 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Knock off the criticism of players!  (Read 14362 times)

muguru

• All American
Knock off the criticism of players!
« on: April 17, 2019, 09:05:17 PM »
Yeah I started a new thread...I don't give a unnatural carnal knowledge...The amount of criticism I see levied here against Markus, Joey, Sam and other players is beyond despicable. It's things like this that Scoop has the poor reputation that it does. For those of us that are parents, imagine coming here and seeing some of the things being said about YOUR kids in a public open, forum. Worse yet, imagine being one of the players and reading what is being said about you...these are your supposed fans, alumni, people that you THOUGHT supported you, and you have to read the sh*t being posted about you here.

I don't know what's worse, those that run their mouths and bad mouth these kids, or the moderators here that allow it. These are college kids...adults yes, but that does NOT make it okay. You wanna criticize the staff, administration etc, by all means go right ahead. And I'd guarantee you they would say the EXACT same thing. They do read these boards and are stunned at some of the things they read.

So go ahead...you wanna take out your anger, frustrations whatever it is...tell ya what, do it on me, beat me up, call me any name you want, rip my posts, my character, whatever you want. I'm an adult, I can handle it, and frankly I don't give a damn what any of you think of me. But i do give a damn what you say about the players. that is NEVER acceptable.

If the mods want to ban me for speaking my mind and calling them out, I could care less...but they are responsible for allowing that kind of sh*t here.

Character revealed indeed by all of you...frankly, it's flat out pathetic.

“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Knock off the criticism of players!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 09:15:44 PM »
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 09:17:25 PM »
Yeah I started a new thread...I don't give a unnatural carnal knowledge...The amount of criticism I see levied here against Markus, Joey, Sam and other players is beyond despicable. It's things like this that Scoop has the poor reputation that it does. For those of us that are parents, imagine coming here and seeing some of the things being said about YOUR kids in a public open, forum. Worse yet, imagine being one of the players and reading what is being said about you...these are your supposed fans, alumni, people that you THOUGHT supported you, and you have to read the sh*t being posted about you here.

I don't know what's worse, those that run their mouths and bad mouth these kids, or the moderators here that allow it. These are college kids...adults yes, but that does NOT make it okay. You wanna criticize the staff, administration etc, by all means go right ahead. And I'd guarantee you they would say the EXACT same thing. They do read these boards and are stunned at some of the things they read.

So go ahead...you wanna take out your anger, frustrations whatever it is...tell ya what, do it on me, beat me up, call me any name you want, rip my posts, my character, whatever you want. I'm an adult, I can handle it, and frankly I don't give a damn what any of you think of me. But i do give a damn what you say about the players. that is NEVER acceptable.

If the mods want to ban me for speaking my mind and calling them out, I could care less...but they are responsible for allowing that kind of sh*t here.

Are you ever calm?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 09:20:23 PM »

Are you ever calm?

No, my blood pressure is sky high.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 09:21:21 PM »
May God have mercy on your children's souls.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 09:22:13 PM »
No, my blood pressure is sky high.

I mean there are some solutions for that. Maybe you need to take this stuff less seriously. It’s just a game.

And I’m being sincere about this.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 11:06:12 PM »
He's not wrong though
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 11:07:50 PM »

I'm a man! I'm 40!
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 08:10:55 AM »
He's not wrong though

I agree, Tamu.  Personally, I think it's unfortunate that an otherwise sensible message got lost in a sea of muguru.  Due to some events this past year, I don't have to imagine the situation guru mentions.  I've really never been overly inclined to bash the kids on this site, but suffice it to say that I've become more sensitive to that issue this past year.  I haven't looked through all my old posts, and I have no doubt that there are some that would make me cringe today.  But I really now try to keep my more critical thoughts to myself.  I'm sure I fail at times, but I make a conscious effort.

Remember, these are just kids playing a game they love.  They're good at it, so they get an amazing opportunity to continue playing in college.  And, make no mistake, they are all good.  Every single one of them.  You don't get an opportunity to play D1 ball unless you are really, really good.  They've done nothing to deserve having anonymous posters on a message board trash them.  I know they play on TV.  I know they're part of a huge business.  I even know that sometimes they play badly and/or make bad decisions.  But at the end of the day, they're just college students playing basketball.  There's no reason that the adults in the room can't hold their tongue and/or soften their comments a bit.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 08:14:43 AM »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 08:46:30 AM »
Is it fair to say:    Derrick is a bad shooter?     Markus sometimes plays hero ball?   Joey turned the ball over too much?    What is a fair level of criticism?     I generally try to stay objective and calm in my analyses, but sometimes a player is playing lousy.    I almost never say a player sucks or he should never see the court again or anything that senseless and stupid.       I said that sometimes Theo tried to block everything, leaving himself out of position for rebounds.    Fair or unfair?     

I guess I am asking you to more clearly define your terms.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 08:51:48 AM »
Is it fair to say:    Derrick is a bad shooter?     Markus sometimes plays hero ball?   Joey turned the ball over too much?    What is a fair level of criticism?     I generally try to stay objective and calm in my analyses, but sometimes a player is playing lousy.    I almost never say a player sucks or he should never see the court again or anything that senseless and stupid.       I said that sometimes Theo tried to block everything, leaving himself out of position for rebounds.    Fair or unfair?     

Player performance should be scrutinized and criticized, such as the examples you give.  Calling someone a cancer or quitters or name calling in general is in poor taste. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 08:57:35 AM »
Player performance should be scrutinized and criticized, such as the examples you give.  Calling someone a cancer or quitters or name calling in general is in poor taste.

I agree.   These are kids who have chosen to represent Marquette.   And I know I would not want to be judged by decisions I made when I was 19.    Kids drink, kids have sex.    They always have.   The sex needs to be consensual and don't drive after drinking.     On the court, as in life, they are works in progress who are not perfect.     They have impulses, egos, parents,  evolving brains, and they are doing it all in the spotlight.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 08:58:10 AM »

Sam and Joey quit the team. That's pretty much a fact.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 09:06:02 AM »
Sam and Joey quit the team. That's pretty much a fact.
+1

Do people ever visit other teams message boards? the same thing take place everywhere. Let's not act like this is a scoop issue.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 09:08:30 AM »
+1

Do people ever visit other teams message boards? the same thing take place everywhere. Let's not act like this is a scoop issue.

It’s definitely an issue elsewhere and far worse elsewhere.  Peruse social media after a loss by any college team and it’s a cesspool of personal attacks on college athletes.  It’s ugly out there.  Just don’t see the benefit of it there or on message boards beyond fair criticisms.  See: Alex Hornibrook
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2019, 09:09:26 AM »

I think Uncle Rico's comment is fair, and I would think that it encompasses Tower's example of saying a player "sucks."  I think one key point in this is to remember that every single one of these players is really talented or they wouldn't even be there.  So, criticisms on a bad performance like Tower mentioned are generally fair game -- although I still think should be tempered (e.g., "Player X was a total piece of s$%t last night" is needlessly harsh).  In my opinion, criticisms focusing more on overall are more questionable (e.g., this player sucks; is a waste of a scholarship; should never see the floor again; etc.).

I know that we're all passionate.  I know I've said things that are probably over the line that I'd like to walk back.  But I also know that parents and the athletes themselves do read these boards (perhaps that's not a good idea), and I'm willing to govern myself a bit because of that.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jimmybutlerfanatic

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2019, 09:55:59 AM »
I agree.   These are kids who have chosen to represent Marquette.   And I know I would not want to be judged by decisions I made when I was 19.    Kids drink, kids have sex.    They always have.   The sex needs to be consensual and don't drive after drinking.     On the court, as in life, they are works in progress who are not perfect.     They have impulses, egos, parents,  evolving brains, and they are doing it all in the spotlight.     

These are 100% LEGAL ADULTS (minus any anomalies like a 17 yo frosh Howard).

They will face far worse and harder criticism in the "real world." And the OP is correct, social media is FAR worse. Message boards are antiquated and like records (vinyl LPs) in the Tech world.

Stop coddling these ADULT MEN who play college basketball.

We lost a slow white guy with a good set jump shot who has aspirations (however lofty they may be) of playing in the NBA and he realized he wasn't gonna get the press or chance to impress in his final year when Howard was coming back.

This MAN decided it was in his best interest to go somewhere else to try to achieve his lofty dream. Best of luck to him.

His allegedly 5 Star ADULT brother who looked like he was nursing a hang over almost every game decided he wanted to do the same.

I doubt either make NBA careers but again, best of luck to them both.

BTW, people talking about too much press for Howard, not enough for Hausers. I sure remember seeing plenty of shots on TV of Hauser's parents being at every game and all the talk about how they traveled to watch their boys play. Makes you wonder how much parental influence played into this decision. Only "kids" would let that sort of thing happen.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2019, 10:06:04 AM »
These are 100% LEGAL ADULTS (minus any anomalies like a 17 yo frosh Howard).

They will face far worse and harder criticism in the "real world." And the OP is correct, social media is FAR worse. Message boards are antiquated and like records (vinyl LPs) in the Tech world.

Stop coddling these ADULT MEN who play college basketball.

We lost a slow white guy with a good set jump shot who has aspirations (however lofty they may be) of playing in the NBA and he realized he wasn't gonna get the press or chance to impress in his final year when Howard was coming back.

This MAN decided it was in his best interest to go somewhere else to try to achieve his lofty dream. Best of luck to him.

His allegedly 5 Star ADULT brother who looked like he was nursing a hang over almost every game decided he wanted to do the same.

I doubt either make NBA careers but again, best of luck to them both.

BTW, people talking about too much press for Howard, not enough for Hausers. I sure remember seeing plenty of shots on TV of Hauser's parents being at every game and all the talk about how they traveled to watch their boys play. Makes you wonder how much parental influence played into this decision. Only "kids" would let that sort of thing happen.

Everything you've said here is wrong. Everyone is now dumber for having read this.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2019, 10:11:30 AM »
I don't agree with muguru on much at all... but he is 100% correct.  Any adult on here that rips a college kid over basketball.... well, there should be no need to say much about it.

jimmybutlerfanatic

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2019, 10:12:50 AM »
Everything you've said here is wrong. Everyone is now dumber for having read this.

EVERYTHING?!

What age do you think is considered an LEGAL ADULT in this country?

So everything I said is wrong, but the very first thing I wrote is completely true.

Should we go word by word, sentence by sentence or paragraph by paragraph?

Idiocracy!

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2019, 10:14:17 AM »
Right or wrong, I don't need a lecturing.

I'll do as I please. Hopefully that isn't bashing kids unnecessarily, but I'm not your parent and your not mine. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2019, 10:15:28 AM »

Here is exactly where I am.

If I'm not allowed to say that Derrick/Jake might have been Marquette's worst starting backcourt ever (and it was Buzz's fault), or that the Hausers quit on their commitment, or that Morrow's shooting range appears to be 1 foot, why even bother going on a fan site?

If I say something really stoopid and/or over the top, like Sacar is the worst 2 in the BEast by far or Markus is a cancer, my fellow Scoopers will gladly call me on it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2019, 10:17:09 AM »
Here is exactly where I am.

If I'm not allowed to say that Derrick/Jake might have been Marquette's worst starting backcourt ever (and it was Buzz's fault), or that the Hausers quit on their commitment, or that Morrow's shooting range appears to be 1 foot, why even bother going on a fan site?

If I say something really stoopid and/or over the top, like Sacar is the worst 2 in the BEast by far or Markus is a cancer, my fellow Scoopers will gladly call me on it.

And wuuuuuuunnnnnn!
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2019, 10:34:18 AM »
Maybe “cancer” is too harsh.

How about:

Rather than spend another second playing on a team that includes Markus Howard, two of our best players...and highest profile Wisconsin kids...just pulled up stakes and bolted.

Is that too harsh or simply a statement of fact?