[Today at 02:47:50 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by MUbiz
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Point guard or big by Jockey
[Today at 11:37:56 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 10:25:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Knock off the criticism of players!  (Read 14341 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Knock off the criticism of players!
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2019, 11:24:42 AM »
EVERYTHING?!

What age do you think is considered an LEGAL ADULT in this country?

So everything I said is wrong, but the very first thing I wrote is completely true.

Should we go word by word, sentence by sentence or paragraph by paragraph?

Idiocracy!

Well, thats a bit up in the air, now isn't it.

You have to be 18 to vote, to be drafted, and to legally live on your own.
You have to be 19 to be drafted into the NBA.
You have to be 21 to drink, smoke (in like 50% of states), do weed, be drafted into the NFL.
You have to be 25 to have decent insurance.
You have to be 26 to reliably rent a car
You have to be 30 to be a senator or a governor.
You have to be 35 to become the president.

So it looks like theres a lot of different ages of adulthood hmm? Kids that are 18-22 that are playing for your basketball team for free should not be harrassed for decisions they make to play or not to play FOR FREE for your team. It is their lives.

But since you brought up the rest of your statement. Lets do it.

"They will face far worse and harder criticism in the "real world." And the OP is correct, social media is FAR worse. Message boards are antiquated and like records (vinyl LPs) in the Tech world."

No actually, not really. I haven't received any criticism like this in my life. 60 year old men calling me a quitter because I left my job for a higher paying one. Have you in your life ever left something for something better? Yes? Then you're a hypocrite and should stfu.

Stop coddling these ADULT MEN who play college basketball.

No one is coddling these YOUNG ADULTS who are not being paid. Again, you're an idiot.

We lost a slow white guy with a good set jump shot who has aspirations (however lofty they may be) of playing in the NBA and he realized he wasn't gonna get the press or chance to impress in his final year when Howard was coming back.

We lost our best overall player who has a very decent opportunity. Your whole press spiel is complete speculation.

This MAN decided it was in his best interest to go somewhere else to try to achieve his lofty dream. Best of luck to him.

Again, speculation. The only thing we know is Hauser didn't like the type of basketball being played, which is completely understandable.
His allegedly 5 Star ADULT brother who looked like he was nursing a hang over almost every game decided he wanted to do the same.

I doubt either make NBA careers but again, best of luck to them both.

They both have very high chances of NBA careers, in fact they were the two most likely on Marquette's roster (Besides a bunch of nonsense scoopers thinking Howard was somehow the second coming of Wade)

BTW, people talking about too much press for Howard, not enough for Hausers. I sure remember seeing plenty of shots on TV of Hauser's parents being at every game and all the talk about how they traveled to watch their boys play. Makes you wonder how much parental influence played into this decision. Only "kids" would let that sort of thing happen.

Howard received much more press. God forbid a parent goes to watch their sons play basketball at a high level. And only kids allow their parents for advice, I'll remember that next time I ask my Dad with 40 years of experience in the business world. Since I am an adult and should make a decision without looking for information.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2019, 11:28:01 AM »
Here is exactly where I am.

If I'm not allowed to say that Derrick/Jake might have been Marquette's worst starting backcourt ever (and it was Buzz's fault), or that the Hausers quit on their commitment, or that Morrow's shooting range appears to be 1 foot, why even bother going on a fan site?

If I say something really stoopid and/or over the top, like Sacar is the worst 2 in the BEast by far or Markus is a cancer, my fellow Scoopers will gladly call me on it.

Mu82 has got it. I can say that Derrick might have possibly had the worst jumper I've ever seen. Or that Markus has hurt us with his shot selection. Or that a lot of scoopers get hard on's when Howard takes a bad shot and it goes in.

It's a very simple line one cannot cross.

What I cannot say is that Markus is the worst person in the world for taking those shots, that he should die a horrible death of anal cancer and I hope everything in his life goes wrong OR that the Hausers are immature and terrible and SLOW (Like what? Why does this keep coming up) because they decided to leave a basketball program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2019, 11:37:16 AM »
Maybe “cancer” is too harsh.

How about:

Rather than spend another second playing on a team that includes Markus Howard, two of our best players...and highest profile Wisconsin kids...just pulled up stakes and bolted.

Is that too harsh or simply a statement of fact?

Although we still don't know if they left because of Markus or because Wojo wouldn't harness Markus, that statement seems fair.

And yes, "cancer" is too harsh. In my opinion.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2019, 11:55:54 AM »
If you have an issue with a particular post, the best thing to do is call it out directly.  I haven't read everything about this but haven't seen anything that I would consider completely offensive or inappropriate.  It is absolutely fair to critique the players, both their game and their decisions.  The Hausers knew that they were doing something unusual and drastic that would be deeply upsetting to a lot of people.  If criticism of players bothers you, probably better for you stay away from sports message boards and maybe sports in general.

jimmybutlerfanatic

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2019, 09:54:34 PM »
Well, thats a bit up in the air, now isn't it.

You have to be 18 to vote, to be drafted, and to legally live on your own.
You have to be 19 to be drafted into the NBA.
You have to be 21 to drink, smoke (in like 50% of states), do weed, be drafted into the NFL.
You have to be 25 to have decent insurance.
You have to be 26 to reliably rent a car
You have to be 30 to be a senator or a governor.
You have to be 35 to become the president.

So it looks like theres a lot of different ages of adulthood hmm? Kids that are 18-22 that are playing for your basketball team for free should not be harrassed for decisions they make to play or not to play FOR FREE for your team. It is their lives.

But since you brought up the rest of your statement. Lets do it.

You are considered a LEGAL ADULT in the United States of America at age 18. You look foolish not acknowledging this. It is common knowledge and factually correct in every single state of our Democratic Republic.

"They will face far worse and harder criticism in the "real world." And the OP is correct, social media is FAR worse. Message boards are antiquated and like records (vinyl LPs) in the Tech world."

No actually, not really. I haven't received any criticism like this in my life. 60 year old men calling me a quitter because I left my job for a higher paying one. Have you in your life ever left something for something better? Yes? Then you're a hypocrite and should stfu.

You must be over 50 and unfamiliar with social media and technology. A board like this is 50 years old in the tech world. Jump on Twitter sometime and have a look see

No one is coddling these YOUNG ADULTS who are not being paid. Again, you're an idiot.

Calling LEGAL ADULT MEN "kids" and acting like they can't think for themselves is a form of coddling.

We lost a slow white guy with a good set jump shot who has aspirations (however lofty they may be) of playing in the NBA and he realized he wasn't gonna get the press or chance to impress in his final year when Howard was coming back.

We lost our best overall player who has a very decent opportunity. Your whole press spiel is complete speculation.

My whole spiel is very clearly my opinion. I'm unsure how you missed that.

This MAN decided it was in his best interest to go somewhere else to try to achieve his lofty dream. Best of luck to him.

Again, speculation. The only thing we know is Hauser didn't like the type of basketball being played, which is completely understandable.
His allegedly 5 Star ADULT brother who looked like he was nursing a hang over almost every game decided he wanted to do the same.

Again, very clearly my opinion covered by the 1st Amendment.

They both have very high chances of NBA careers, in fact they were the two most likely on Marquette's roster (Besides a bunch of nonsense scoopers thinking Howard was somehow the second coming of Wade)

I respect your opinion on this. It saddens me that you do not respect mine and have to resort to name calling and berating. One of us will be correct and neither of us will receive any benefit for being right. Please accept my advanced congratulations if you are right.

BTW, people talking about too much press for Howard, not enough for Hausers. I sure remember seeing plenty of shots on TV of Hauser's parents being at every game and all the talk about how they traveled to watch their boys play. Makes you wonder how much parental influence played into this decision. Only "kids" would let that sort of thing happen.

Howard received much more press. God forbid a parent goes to watch their sons play basketball at a high level. And only kids allow their parents for advice, I'll remember that next time I ask my Dad with 40 years of experience in the business world. Since I am an adult and should make a decision without looking for information.

I agree. Howard did receive more. He was a National Player of the Year candidate. I'm happy that the Hauser family is well off enough and have enough free time to watch their boys play. Parental advice is great, I certainly didn't say not to take it or ask for it; but grown men take the advice and make their own decisions. I hope that's what happened here and am merely speculating about how involved or non-involved the parents may or may not be.

I hope in the future you read other posters posts more carefully, do not resort to insults and respect other's opinions. If you have a differing opinion you could certainly express it more respectfully.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 11:03:11 AM by jimmybutlerfanatic »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2019, 10:09:27 PM »
Is it fair to say:    Derrick is a bad shooter?     Markus sometimes plays hero ball?   Joey turned the ball over too much?    What is a fair level of criticism?     I generally try to stay objective and calm in my analyses, but sometimes a player is playing lousy.    I almost never say a player sucks or he should never see the court again or anything that senseless and stupid.       I said that sometimes Theo tried to block everything, leaving himself out of position for rebounds.    Fair or unfair?     

I guess I am asking you to more clearly define your terms.

The things you list above "Derrick is a bad shooter" etc, to me aren't crossing a line and are fine. What pisses me off is when people throw words around like I have seen directed at Sam/Joey this week..."quitters", "soft" "hairy wet cats" etc. Absolutely inexcusable. Things like "he sucks" etc, are also out of line. No one player should be blamed for losing a game either..it's a TEAM game. I also don't like all the attacks I have seen hurled at Markus either. He did NOT cause the Hauser's to transfer.

Put yourself in Markus's shoes right now..let's hypothetically say he had no knowledge of this letter to Wojo about his style of play. Well, he certainly knows about it now..It's bad enough that i am sure he has heard from classmates and everyone else under the sun, that HE caused the Hauser's to transfer. He's a 20 year old kid..would you like to carry that burden on your shoulders?? I sure as hell wouldn't. That is completely unfair to him. Quite honestly, he needs his teammates and close friends as much as possible right now...I can't even imagine what his mindset is like and to me, that's a little bit unsettling.

This is what wrankles me the most about the whole situation, because Wojo doesn't have Twitter anymore, because he will NEVER have to answer any questions about this, because the general public that doesn't really know what went on...they hear "Markus caused them to transfer" (which couldn't be further from the truth), and they run with it. Anger turns to Markus etc. So in reality, Markus ends up taking the bullet for this completely unfairly, because Wojo never has to face the music for it. Completely unfair to the kid if you ask me.

Show a little compassion people, walk in Markus's shoes right now..
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2019, 10:17:28 PM »
I have never heard anyone speak an ill word about the Hauser parents...I have also never heard anyone speak an ill word about the Hauser boys until they decided to transfer. 

I'm sure Wojo sold them on being part of a team...you hear him with the coach speak all the time.  Markus didnt play team ball...Wojo even alluded to it in an on court interview after a game.  Thats on Wojo...and really Wojo isnt doing Markus any favors either, IMHO.

So if you preach team...you sell receuits on that belief...but dont hold your super star accountable to it...tell me who quit on who?  I could be missing information...but the way it looks to me...Wojo quit on the team when he didnt live up to what he sold/preeched to his players.  Sam and Joey dont strike me as the type of kids that would quit a team because they arent the first option.  They do strike me as the type of kids that would walk if they feel they were sold a load of BS. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 10:21:32 PM by avid1010 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2019, 10:19:23 PM »
The things you list above "Derrick is a bad shooter" etc, to me aren't crossing a line and are fine. What pisses me off is when people throw words around like I have seen directed at Sam/Joey this week..."quitters", "soft" "hairy wet cats" etc. Absolutely inexcusable. Things like "he sucks" etc, are also out of line. No one player should be blamed for losing a game either..it's a TEAM game. I also don't like all the attacks I have seen hurled at Markus either. He did NOT cause the Hauser's to transfer.

Put yourself in Markus's shoes right now..let's hypothetically say he had no knowledge of this letter to Wojo about his style of play. Well, he certainly knows about it now..It's bad enough that i am sure he has heard from classmates and everyone else under the sun, that HE caused the Hauser's to transfer. He's a 20 year old kid..would you like to carry that burden on your shoulders?? I sure as hell wouldn't. That is completely unfair to him. Quite honestly, he needs his teammates and close friends as much as possible right now...I can't even imagine what his mindset is like and to me, that's a little bit unsettling.

This is what wrankles me the most about the whole situation, because Wojo doesn't have Twitter anymore, because he will NEVER have to answer any questions about this, because the general public that doesn't really know what went on...they hear "Markus caused them to transfer" (which couldn't be further from the truth), and they run with it. Anger turns to Markus etc. So in reality, Markus ends up taking the bullet for this completely unfairly, because Wojo never has to face the music for it. Completely unfair to the kid if you ask me.

Good post, guru.

Minor quibble: By any definition, Sam and Joey quit Marquette basketball and therefore are quitters. I know it has a negative connotation that goes above and beyond just quitting -- that somehow they are gutless or soft or whatever -- and I don't cotton to that. But they are quitters.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2019, 10:20:04 PM »

Ya know, you're right, Markus shouldn't have to take that bullet, Wojo should address this whole fiasco with some meaningful dialogue.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2019, 11:09:30 PM »
I have never heard anyone speak an ill word about the Hauser parents...I have also never heard anyone speak an ill word about the Hauser boys until they decided to transfer. 

I'm sure Wojo sold them on being part of a team...you hear him with the coach speak all the time.  Markus didnt play team ball...Wojo even alluded to it in an on court interview after a game.  Thats on Wojo...and really Wojo isnt doing Markus any favors either, IMHO.

So if you preach team...you sell receuits on that belief...but dont hold your super star accountable to it...tell me who quit on who?  I could be missing information...but the way it looks to me...Wojo quit on the team when he didnt live up to what he sold/preeched to his players. Sam and Joey dont strike me as the type of kids that would quit a team because they arent the first option.  They do strike me as the type of kids that would walk if they feel they were sold a load of BS.

Everyone here needs to read the bolded part over and over and over again, because you my friend, just won this thread. Imagine how you would feel if you were promised on more than one occasion that things were going to change, only to have them stay the same every time. Now...I'm pretty sure anyone of us in that situation would feel like we were being lied to or misled. So, based on that, why would we have any confidence what so ever that anything would be different going forward?? I sure wouldn't.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2019, 11:14:10 PM »
Ya know, you're right, Markus shouldn't have to take that bullet, Wojo should address this whole fiasco with some meaningful dialogue.

Wojo won't though, and that's the problem...all people are hearing is "Markus made Sam/Joey leave". Can you imagine some of the things Markus has probably heard since Monday?? For someone that has to see a psychiatrist already, I hope he leans on him or her even more now, and I hope those truly close to Markus are there for him. He's got to feel the weight of the world is on his shoulders right now, and all because his Coach doesn't have to face the music the way Markus does.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2019, 11:41:52 PM »
In general I believe that you shouldn't attack anybody regardless of who they are. I'm curious why only the players deserve that treatment? At what point is someone no longer deserving of that kind of respect?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 07:33:12 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2019, 12:44:16 AM »
In general I believe that you should attack anybody regardless of who they are.

Screw you, you worthless piece of Buzz unflushables!  What good have you ever done here.  I've seen haikus that are more valuable that this post.  Not sure why you haven't been banned yet.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2019, 03:47:43 AM »
He's not wrong though

Yes he is.

Not everyone is saying silly things about the players.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2019, 07:34:17 AM »
Yes he is.

Not everyone is saying silly things about the players.

Did he say everyone?
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2019, 07:34:59 AM »
Screw you, you worthless piece of Buzz unflushables!  What good have you ever done here.  I've seen haikus that are more valuable that this post.  Not sure why you haven't been banned yet.

That's an unfortunate mistype on my part
TAMU

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2019, 11:44:10 AM »
Did he say everyone?

He did:

"Character revealed indeed by all of you...frankly, it's flat out pathetic."

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2019, 11:46:31 AM »
fat finger typo
one more personal attack
there are no mistakes

muguru

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2019, 11:59:06 AM »
He did:

By everyone that was hurling the insults etc...not every person here, because not everyone here was doing it. I didn't think It needed to be spelled out, was widely assumed it was easy to figure out who I was referring to by saying "all of you"...but...here we are.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2019, 03:53:56 PM »
He did:

I read "all of you" as "all of you I described in my earlier paragraphs"
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2019, 07:34:16 PM »
Is it OK to criticize other teams' players?

Can we rip on Nutgrabber McDouchenozzle? Kelly Tri-PUKE-a? Dirty Myles Powell? Or just some guys who might not even be dirty but who get on our nerves. Ponds, for example?

Is that allowed?

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2019, 08:07:11 PM »
These are 100% LEGAL ADULTS (minus any anomalies like a 17 yo frosh Howard).

They will face far worse and harder criticism in the "real world." And the OP is correct, social media is FAR worse. Message boards are antiquated and like records (vinyl LPs) in the Tech world.

jimmybutlerfanatic

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2019, 11:31:27 AM »

I know.

Truth and facts hurt in this snowflake, PC time that we're currently living in.

Sorry, not sorry that I triggered you and violated your safe space that is MU Scoop!

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2019, 11:39:02 AM »
I read "all of you" as "all of you I described in my earlier paragraphs"

No, Tex, you read it as, "y'all" as "All y'all sorry asses I was fixin' to lit out and tump y'all for bad mouthin tuh players. Y'all jus a buncha damn fools" 

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2019, 12:34:36 AM »
Yeah I started a new thread...I don't give a unnatural carnal knowledge...The amount of criticism I see levied here against Markus, Joey, Sam and other players is beyond despicable. It's things like this that Scoop has the poor reputation that it does. For those of us that are parents, imagine coming here and seeing some of the things being said about YOUR kids in a public open, forum. Worse yet, imagine being one of the players and reading what is being said about you...these are your supposed fans, alumni, people that you THOUGHT supported you, and you have to read the sh*t being posted about you here.

I don't know what's worse, those that run their mouths and bad mouth these kids, or the moderators here that allow it. These are college kids...adults yes, but that does NOT make it okay. You wanna criticize the staff, administration etc, by all means go right ahead. And I'd guarantee you they would say the EXACT same thing. They do read these boards and are stunned at some of the things they read.

So go ahead...you wanna take out your anger, frustrations whatever it is...tell ya what, do it on me, beat me up, call me any name you want, rip my posts, my character, whatever you want. I'm an adult, I can handle it, and frankly I don't give a damn what any of you think of me. But i do give a damn what you say about the players. that is NEVER acceptable.

If the mods want to ban me for speaking my mind and calling them out, I could care less...but they are responsible for allowing that kind of sh*t here.

Character revealed indeed by all of you...frankly, it's flat out pathetic.

You are correct, and in response I will apologize for the criticism of Joey. He did have a poor last 2 months, but I should have put in context that the big jump most players make is between their freshman and sophomore seasons and he certainly should join Sam as a true star wherever they go.

I should have just focused on the positive side - which was that after Joey hit the wall those last could of months, Bailey really came out of nowhere and was an excellent player and really should have been a starter and I'm glad he looks like he will be next year.

Best of luck to Sam and Joey and thanks for some great memories - but obviously even more kudos to everyone who will get more.minutes next year.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

feedback