[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Knock off the criticism of players!  (Read 14247 times)

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
Re: Knock off the criticism of players!
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2019, 12:57:22 AM »
You are correct, and in response I will apologize for the criticism of Joey. He did have a poor last 2 months, but I should have put in context that the big jump most players make is between their freshman and sophomore seasons and he certainly should join Sam as a true star wherever they go.

I should have just focused on the positive side - which was that after Joey hit the wall those last could of months, Bailey really came out of nowhere and was an excellent player and really should have been a starter and I'm glad he looks like he will be next year.

Best of luck to Sam and Joey and thanks for some great memories - but obviously even more kudos to everyone who will get more.minutes next year.

Don’t apologize auburnMarquette...you are a professional....it’s your job to critique players. Some of the people here shaking their head at “name calling” don’t hesitate to do the same thing when it fits their narrative. Wolves in sheep’s clothing. You have always been informative and respectful.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2019, 08:58:50 AM »
Yeah I started a new thread...I don't give a unnatural carnal knowledge...The amount of criticism I see levied here against Markus, Joey, Sam and other players is beyond despicable. It's things like this that Scoop has the poor reputation that it does. For those of us that are parents, imagine coming here and seeing some of the things being said about YOUR kids in a public open, forum. Worse yet, imagine being one of the players and reading what is being said about you...these are your supposed fans, alumni, people that you THOUGHT supported you, and you have to read the sh*t being posted about you here.

I don't know what's worse, those that run their mouths and bad mouth these kids, or the moderators here that allow it. These are college kids...adults yes, but that does NOT make it okay. You wanna criticize the staff, administration etc, by all means go right ahead. And I'd guarantee you they would say the EXACT same thing. They do read these boards and are stunned at some of the things they read.

So go ahead...you wanna take out your anger, frustrations whatever it is...tell ya what, do it on me, beat me up, call me any name you want, rip my posts, my character, whatever you want. I'm an adult, I can handle it, and frankly I don't give a damn what any of you think of me. But i do give a damn what you say about the players. that is NEVER acceptable.

If the mods want to ban me for speaking my mind and calling them out, I could care less...but they are responsible for allowing that kind of sh*t here.

Character revealed indeed by all of you...frankly, it's flat out pathetic.

Wow!! Just wow!! Character revealed?  Really?  Coming from you!!  You revealed your character a long time ago and I am going to let you in on something that I don't think you realize; your character is not good.  You can rip on our coach over and over again and you think it is okay because he is older and makes a lot of money, but college players are off limits?  Why do you get to decide who it is okay to be a jerk to?  Personally I try not to be overly critical of anyone that I know is working hard and doing their best, even if they are not perfect, which includes players on the team and the coaching staff.  I am not someone who thinks Wojo can do no wrong and he certainly can improve as a coach, but from everything I have seen and heard from people around the program is that he works extremely hard and is a good person.  His coaching will improve and has improved since he started here.  I promise you that coaching is much more difficult than you will ever fully understand and you cannot make informed judgments on every single decision that is made within a program when you are not at every practice, team meeting or recruiting visit.  In your case, it is amazing to me how very little you seem to know or understand about the game of basketball and how to coach it, but yet based on your posts, you seem to think you know more than the majority of the posters and the coaching staff. 

There is one reason and one reason alone that you do not want the players criticized on here; because you think it may hinder our ability to recruit other players.  You have shown me nothing that would indicate you actually care about the players outside of how they can make you look good when Marquette basketball wins. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2019, 10:13:41 AM »
MU 1980

You heard Wojo works very extremely hard from folks near the program? Now, is that extremely hard compared to the folks near the program or other D1 coaches? Very interested in your reply.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2019, 10:57:03 AM »
MU 1980

You heard Wojo works very extremely hard from folks near the program? Now, is that extremely hard compared to the folks near the program or other D1 coaches? Very interested in your reply.

I am not quite sure of your question and I do not have some great insider knowledge about MU basketball, but anything I have ever heard about Wojo from people within the athletic department, has been positive.  Maybe other people within the athletic department think differently, I have no idea.  Does he work harder than Coach K, or Greg Gard or Bo Ryan or the Marquette tennis or soccer coach?  I have zero clue and would not want to venture a guess. 

My main point to MUGuru was not whether Wojo should be criticized or not (although I think several posters do go over the top with the criticism); I just thought it was hypocritical of him to call out people for being critical of players and that he has decided who it is okay to be critical of and who is off limits

Like everyone else, I was very frustrated with the way the season ended and even more so with the Hausers transferring and I think what happens in these next few months and next season are crucial for Coach Wojo to show us whether he is the right person for the job. Personally I am rooting for him to show us that he is because coaches with good Character seem to be few and far between. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2019, 11:40:39 AM »
MU 1980

Thanks for reply. I was seriously interested in your answer, because I was under the impression that he was not one of those hard driving workers, like many other coaches. Very happy to hear that Wojo cranks it out and does not pan off his heavy lifting to assistances.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2019, 11:40:57 AM »
Do players count as those within the athletic dept?
No Finish Line

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2019, 12:05:28 PM »
I have no doubt Wojo works hard. Whether he is good at his job or not is another question

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2019, 12:33:53 PM »
MU 1980

Thanks for reply. I was seriously interested in your answer, because I was under the impression that he was not one of those hard driving workers, like many other coaches. Very happy to hear that Wojo cranks it out and does not pan off his heavy lifting to assistances.

Goose, you could be more correct than me on his work ethic, I have no idea. I am not an insider and do not know any players, I just have a few friends that work in athletics. I do not like to listen to rumors on MUScoop since so many turn out to not be true, but if I knew for certain he had a bad work ethic that would change my opinion of him quite a bit. If you are a division 1 college coach and are making millions, a good work ethic should be a given. For now I will continue to believe what I have heard and support him until something besides an internet rumor changes my mind.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2019, 02:59:04 PM »
MU 1980

Can I ask what your impression is based on?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2019, 03:07:53 PM »
So that's going to be the newest narrative? That Wojo doesn't work hard like other coaches?

What next?

I heard he has worse breath than 64.4% of other D1 coaches. His deodorant usage ranks behind 52.2% of his peers. And don't get me started about his athlete's foot problems!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2019, 03:09:07 PM »
Everyone here needs to read the bolded part over and over and over again, because you my friend, just won this thread. Imagine how you would feel if you were promised on more than one occasion that things were going to change, only to have them stay the same every time. Now...I'm pretty sure anyone of us in that situation would feel like we were being lied to or misled. So, based on that, why would we have any confidence what so ever that anything would be different going forward?? I sure wouldn't.

What exactly was promised?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2019, 05:44:47 PM »
MU 82

Ok. I was told recently by someone that much of the heavy lifting is done by the assistants. I reached out to a younger poster on here, that I believe knows his stuff, and was curious 1980 stated Wojo was a hard worker.
Al was far from hard worker, so I could not care less. I believe much of the hard working crew are doing it for affect. Was not a narrative, simply a question.
For some reason, I thought this site was to get different opinions, share thoughts and discuss the program.
Actually quite funny, you feel it is ok to criticize players, but are coached off limits? You love to stir the pot, even when a legit question was raised.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2019, 07:30:37 PM »
MU 82

Ok. I was told recently by someone that much of the heavy lifting is done by the assistants. I reached out to a younger poster on here, that I believe knows his stuff, and was curious 1980 stated Wojo was a hard worker.
Al was far from hard worker, so I could not care less. I believe much of the hard working crew are doing it for affect. Was not a narrative, simply a question.
For some reason, I thought this site was to get different opinions, share thoughts and discuss the program.
Actually quite funny, you feel it is ok to criticize players, but are coached off limits? You love to stir the pot, even when a legit question was raised.

First, I have never, ever, ever said -- nor have I ever suggested or implied -- that coaches are off-limits. Indeed, I have been extremely critical of Wojo the last week.

You claimed you could tell whenever a fellow Scooper has been drinking. All I'll say is step away from the Chinese beer, my friend.

As for "criticizing" players ... as has been discussed ad nauseum already in this thread, I think it is OK to say something like, "Joey can't defend anybody" or "Derrick can't shoot." Those are facts. What I don't think is OK is to say something like, "Vander is an a-hole" or "Markus is a cancer." You are free to agree or disagree with that distinction; I really don't care if it gets your approval.

And of course, it's OK to rip opposing players. That's practically a fan's job.

As for whether Wojo is a hard-worker ... all I know from spending four decades getting to know coaches pretty well is that the vast, vast, vast majority of them are extremely hard workers. If you have gotten to be the head coach at the D1 level, you almost surely got there by developing incredible work habits. If Al were a D1 head coach today, and he weren't a very hard worker, he'd get eaten alive. You can't coast through being a D1 basketball coach any more, not if you want to be more than a short-timer, anyway.

But somebody told somebody who told you that Wojo might be the rare D1 coach who isn't a hard worker, so sure. Have another one, Goose.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2019, 07:58:12 PM »
MU 82

Safely home enjoying a beautiful Easter evening with my wife. Life is good and thankful for all God means in our lives.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2019, 09:45:29 PM »
MU 82

Safely home enjoying a beautiful Easter evening with my wife. Life is good and thankful for all God means in our lives.

Glad you got home safely. Have a nice night.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2019, 12:03:21 PM »
Can we rip on Nutgrabber McDouchenozzle?
Please, it's Floppy McDickpuncher.  Garbling his name as you have done is disrespectful to Floppy.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2019, 02:26:46 PM »
If the Hausers choose Wisconsin, is it fair to rip on them then?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2019, 02:55:07 PM »
I have never heard anyone speak an ill word about the Hauser parents...I have also never heard anyone speak an ill word about the Hauser boys until they decided to transfer. 

I'm sure Wojo sold them on being part of a team...you hear him with the coach speak all the time.  Markus didnt play team ball...Wojo even alluded to it in an on court interview after a game.  Thats on Wojo...and really Wojo isnt doing Markus any favors either, IMHO.

So if you preach team...you sell receuits on that belief...but dont hold your super star accountable to it...tell me who quit on who?  I could be missing information...but the way it looks to me...Wojo quit on the team when he didnt live up to what he sold/preeched to his players.  Sam and Joey dont strike me as the type of kids that would quit a team because they arent the first option.  They do strike me as the type of kids that would walk if they feel they were sold a load of BS.
Hmmmmm.........
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2019, 03:17:46 PM »
If the Hausers choose Wisconsin, is it fair to rip on them then?

Yes.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2019, 06:37:40 PM »
If the Hausers choose Wisconsin, is it fair to rip take pity on them then?
Fixed and yes
No Finish Line

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2019, 07:14:35 PM »
Is it fair to say:    Derrick is a bad shooter?     Markus sometimes plays hero ball?   Joey turned the ball over too much?    What is a fair level of criticism?     I generally try to stay objective and calm in my analyses, but sometimes a player is playing lousy.    I almost never say a player sucks or he should never see the court again or anything that senseless and stupid.       I said that sometimes Theo tried to block everything, leaving himself out of position for rebounds.    Fair or unfair?     

I guess I am asking you to more clearly define your terms.
My standard is to rip the coaches when necessary . However, the kids should only be referred to in positive ways or defended when coaches treat them unfairly. Otherwise say nothing.

If a kid is not playing well it is better to just let their performance speak for itself . First , they are trying their best and their demands are heavy. Second, we don’t know the inner workings of the coaches strategies and my experience is many times the coaches put kids in positions they cannot succeed
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2019, 05:25:17 PM »
Yeah I started a new thread...I don't give a unnatural carnal knowledge...The amount of criticism I see levied here against Markus, Joey, Sam and other players is beyond despicable. It's things like this that Scoop has the poor reputation that it does. For those of us that are parents, imagine coming here and seeing some of the things being said about YOUR kids in a public open, forum. Worse yet, imagine being one of the players and reading what is being said about you...these are your supposed fans, alumni, people that you THOUGHT supported you, and you have to read the sh*t being posted about you here.

I don't know what's worse, those that run their mouths and bad mouth these kids, or the moderators here that allow it. These are college kids...adults yes, but that does NOT make it okay. You wanna criticize the staff, administration etc, by all means go right ahead. And I'd guarantee you they would say the EXACT same thing. They do read these boards and are stunned at some of the things they read.

So go ahead...you wanna take out your anger, frustrations whatever it is...tell ya what, do it on me, beat me up, call me any name you want, rip my posts, my character, whatever you want. I'm an adult, I can handle it, and frankly I don't give a damn what any of you think of me. But i do give a damn what you say about the players. that is NEVER acceptable.

If the mods want to ban me for speaking my mind and calling them out, I could care less...but they are responsible for allowing that kind of sh*t here.

Character revealed indeed by all of you...frankly, it's flat out pathetic.
Now, by your standards, aren't you saying that the players are mediocre?   That is criticism, right?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2019, 05:48:49 PM »
ND sucks

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2019, 06:35:00 PM »
Goal is National Championship

WarriorPride68