[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: It's obvious and it's been obvious...  (Read 12739 times)

mileskishnish72

• All American
Re: It's obvious and it's been obvious...
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2019, 10:28:29 AM »
Did you get a thesaurus for your birthday?

Good line, but the poster did show that it is possible to communicate without dese, dohs, he be, and aina.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2019, 10:29:15 AM »
They want the TEAM to be featured, not just one guy. Or 2 guys. Or 3 guys.

Is this based upon your numerous conversations with them?
And how is saying they want the TEAM featured any different than saying they want to be featured more? Wouldn't featuring the TEAM more necessarily mean that THEY would be featured more? Honestly, you're just playing semantics now. Nothing I wrote was incorrect.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2019, 10:44:13 AM »
Because they are.

They are walking away from a top team next year to sit a year in order to find "just a little bit better fit for them in the future."

Winning does not matter to them.  If it did, they would not leave a pre-season top five team to sit a year in the hopes another school in 2 years (and 3 or 4 for Joey) will offer them "just a little bit better fit."

If they go to Michigan State or Virginia, I think they care about winning. We talk about how highly ranked we’d be next year, but based on what’s been talked about, is there any confidence we would have achieved it? It sounds like the slide was due to more than just an injured wrist and our coach didn’t do anything to help it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2019, 10:47:10 AM »
I like and admire all of those things about millenials. The entitlement and narcissism exhibited in many millenials I can do without.

And I’m Gen X, not Montgomery Burns.

They aren't millennials. Sam would've been born in 99 I believe making him gen z and Joey is definitely gen z meanwhile millennial is associated with gen y. Please know who you're insulting if you're going to make blanket generalizations like all you gen xers love to do
Maigh Eo for Sam

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2019, 10:54:26 AM »
Please know who you're insulting if you're going to make blanket generalizations like all you gen xers love to do

Well played.
We Are Marquette

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2019, 10:54:54 AM »
Please know who you're insulting if you're going to make blanket generalizations like all you gen xers love to do

This is unintentionally funny.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2019, 10:57:05 AM »

I'm pretty sure it was intentional.  ;)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2019, 10:58:08 AM »
+1

I cannot believe the hate Markus, and the never-ending defense to the Hausers.

Pakuni is 100% correct, it is not Markus, job to make them happy.  It is the Hausers job to outplay Markus ... and they cannot.

So they are taking their ball and going home.

Or fear they will be outplayed by Bailey or McEwen or.......

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2019, 11:02:09 AM »
I'm pretty sure it was intentional.  ;)

It’s even funnier if it’s unintentional.
We Are Marquette

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2019, 11:30:03 AM »

Very intentional
Maigh Eo for Sam

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2019, 11:33:36 AM »
Ya unnatural carnal knowledge them for wanting to play basketball instead of watching Markus shoot from 40 feet outside.

I've said this before and very few understand it. Sam was our best player, by a lot. Marquette will miss the spacing, the dead eye shooting, the defense (Even though there are some here that think he's horrible, hes not.) and the rebounding. Sam never will put up 50. But hes the guy who can do everything.

Bill Raf said many times on TV Sam is the best player on the team.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2019, 11:40:19 AM »
This world is not black and white. It is an infinite number of shades of grey. Saying that this is all on Markus, or all on Wojo, or all on the Hauser boys, seems awfully simplistic.

Going back and forth on the reasons seems like an awful waste of time. Dissecting the various factors that went into this decision, when most of us do not know any of these people individually — relying upon hearsay of differing levels of trustworthiness instead — seems equally wasteful.

The fact is, for better or worse, they are gone. Wojo is the captain of this ship, at least for now. Where the ship sails to from here on out is completely under his control. Thus, I see next year as a watershed moment for Wojo. Either the ship sails true, or it sinks.

I have my doubts about Wojo. I’ve had those doubts all along. That said, I acknowledge he is growing as a coach. Maybe he knows something we, as a board of non-insiders, don’t know. Maybe his vision for this team didn’t necessarily rely on the Hauser. We don’t know. It’s conjecture.

What we do know is that this team was supposed to bring back nearly every piece, and certainly every significant piece, of a five seeded NCAA team. Now it doesn’t. That matters little though in the end. Either we progress and show addition by subtraction is a real concept, or we falter, in which case I think the final chapter on Wojo’s story as Marquette basketball head coach is written. There can be no excuses. Next year is make or break. While Wojo is coach, I’ll continue to hold out hope that we can “make.”

Losing the Hauser boys is a real loss. But it is not — should not be — the end all be all. It’s on Wojo know to find a way to better this team despite the departure of two starters. That’s the beauty of college ball; it’s possible.

Who is accountable for the team's success?  That is correct the coach. He recruits the players, he runs the team as he sees fit and players respond in different ways to the coaching. After five years are the players or fans satisfied with the results? Each of us have an opinion.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2019, 11:43:03 AM »
Very intentional

Which makes it funnier yet as you hooked some big fish. Pak needs teal often. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2019, 11:51:43 AM »

Who is accountable for the team's success?  That is correct the coach. He recruits the players, he runs the team as he sees fit and players respond in different ways to the coaching. After five years are the players or fans satisfied with the results? Each of us have an opinion.

I’ll say this, at the end of the season even with the collapse, I was Team Wojo.  At this point, I think it’s irrevocably broken. 

If they have success this year, I think he’s gone following the season.  And he can point to the lack of an extension as a “legitimate” excuse for bolting. Either way, the long-term future beyond 2020 is a mess IMO
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2019, 11:52:26 AM »

Yes. I don’t believe I’ve insinuated anything to the contrary.

Personally, I am not satisfied. I do not think he’s at the point to be fired right now, but I don’t think those calling for his head right now are completely off-base.

As I’ve said, he is the captain of the ship. He is responsible for whether the ship reaches destination or sinks. He is responsible, in part, for the Hauser departure. Maybe he was okay with it. Maybe not. Regardless, next year there is progress or there is not. If there is not, I’ll join the “cut ties” group.

As an aside, what I love about college basketball is that players are constantly being replaced. I do not want to minimize the Hauser’s impact (Sam was our best player and Joey, while a freshman with mistakes, has great potential), but I am hopeful this team can be successful with the additions of Elliot, Koby, etc. Perhaps addition by subtraction. This is college basketball. Expectations, in my world, remain the same.

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2019, 11:53:16 AM »
Did you ever watch Marquette play in 2018-19? On the 1-10 "selfish" scale (10 being the most selfish) Sam Hauser was a 1. Markus was a 9. And from listening to Wojo talk, he was more than OK with that. In fact, it was the plan. That plan may win an extra game here and there (especially with a player as gifted offensively as Markus) but when things go south they go south quickly.

I've seen a lot of great players come and go at Marquette - Thompson, Meminger, Butch, DWade, to name but a few - and all of them were capable (if necessary) of taking over a game. But that was never the game plan. With Wojo (whether it's Carlino, Ellenson, Howard/Rowsey or Howard it seems like the only plan. That breeds discontent.

Exactly.  This person gets it.  Imagine how bad it must have been for the brothers to make a move this dramatic.  They were miserable with the current scheme.  It's no different than having a job where you can't stand your boss, and even though you wait it out awhile, he shows no signs of changing his style, so you go elsewhere to be happy.  I wish this could have been reconciled but if Wojo made them this unhappy I don't blame them for leaving.  I don't think this is directly about them needing to be featured more or needing more shots as much as they are tired of the Markus show, the long contested jumpers whenever he feels like it, the possessions with no passes before a hoist, and probably most importantly, a coach who tirelessly talks about the team but then supports that talk by completely letting one player do whatever he wants when he wants.  It's toxic and they wanted out.  It's really that simple.

Anyone putting a lot of stock into what their high school coach said...c'mon, of course he's going to say something generic like "looking for a better fit" because again, that's the diplomatic thing to say.  Did you expect him to say, "They grew a strong disdain for the coach, believed he was incompetent, and were exhausted from hero ball."  No.  He's not going to say that.  None of this is that complicated.

This is 100% on Wojo.  He's running the ship.  What happened is unprecedented, and assuming that two of the most unselfish players on the team suddenly became so selfish they made a move this dramatic is an unbelievable narrative.  They just want to play team ball again.  I don't think I'm alone as a fan saying that I want to see the same too.  Wish they wouldn't have left.  Don't blame them for making a decision they are entitled to make.  Ready to move on with who we have.  Hoping Wojo learns to coach Markus and that this whole team thing they constantly talk about becomes a reality.  Very little blame to Markus.  Tremendous player, just needs a little coaching.  Glad he's back.  But if you are Wojo, saying the strength of our team is the team and then talking about Markus having the unlimited green light...these are two very contradictory things.
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2019, 11:54:52 AM »
Which makes it funnier yet as you hooked some big fish. Pak needs teal often.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2019, 12:01:26 PM »
Sam is not the best. Cant dribble. Cant create much. Slow as hell. Good luck being the superstar at uva. The guy ain't that good

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2019, 12:06:09 PM »
Sam is not the best. Cant dribble. Cant create much. Slow as hell. Good luck being the superstar at uva. The guy ain't that good

Sam is damn good

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2019, 12:20:17 PM »

He’s still a very good player and we are worse without him.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2019, 12:25:03 PM »
any truth to Sam and Markus almost coming to blows on flight back after Murray St?  A letter the team sent to wojo about concerns?

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2019, 12:26:50 PM »
Sam is damn good

Sam is really, really, really good. He does a lot of things well including 40% from 3. That combination is next to impossible to find. Sam is a star. I don't see how this is even remotely debatable.

STATS
2018-19

GP   MPG   FG%   FT%   REB   AST   BLK   STL   PF   TO   PTS
34   33.4   45.9   92.4   7.2   2.4   0.5   0.6   2.1   1.4   14.9

We Are Marquette

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2019, 12:35:28 PM »
Sam is really, really, really good. He does a lot of things well including 40% from 3. That combination is next to impossible to find. Sam is a star. I don't see how this is even remotely debatable.

STATS
2018-19

GP   MPG   FG%   FT%   REB   AST   BLK   STL   PF   TO   PTS
34   33.4   45.9   92.4   7.2   2.4   0.5   0.6   2.1   1.4   14.9

Kid is simply a basketball player.  High basketball IQ, motor, skilled, has it all.  Is he a future NBA All-Star?  Nope, but I’ll take 5 of him on my college team.

Now, doesn’t mean they can’t play a different way and win without him but I know what they had with him and it was good

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2019, 01:39:17 PM »
Exactly.  This person gets it.  Imagine how bad it must have been for the brothers to make a move this dramatic.  They were miserable with the current scheme.  It's no different than having a job where you can't stand your boss, and even though you wait it out awhile, he shows no signs of changing his style, so you go elsewhere to be happy.

I think this is a good comparison. But you follow the comparison by jumping to the conclusion that the supervisor is wrong and the employee is right. What if your supervisor was doing what was best for the company?

Wojo's job is to win games. Not to make every player on his team happy. He thought this playstyle was the best way to win games. Maybe he was right, maybe he was wrong. Personally, I'd be more concerned if he was making playstyle changes that he thought would decrease our chances of winning just to appease players.

That being said, I think we are trying oversimplify a not simple situation. Wojo's role isn't just to pick the playstyle, he also has to get the players to buy into their roles. He did a tremendous job of that with Heldt. Took a kid who was starting, turned him into a benchwarmer, but the kid still bought in and Wojo went out of his way to make sure his efforts were recognized. The more I hear, the more I think Wojo failed to do that with the Hausers.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2019, 01:44:49 PM »
any truth to Sam and Markus almost coming to blows on flight back after Murray St?  A letter the team sent to wojo about concerns?

I know the letter happened. not sure about the fight.