[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: It's obvious and it's been obvious...  (Read 12735 times)

TheyWereCones

• Starter
It's obvious and it's been obvious...
« on: April 17, 2019, 03:26:16 AM »
My opinion is the Hausers leaving was a surprise only because it seems improbable that 2 starters on a preseason top 10 team would transfer.  For anyone paying attention to the reality of the season as it unfolded though, I don't think it's a surprise at all.

I'll start with portions of my past posts:

January 2nd

There was one guy politely complaining about Markus trying to do too much after the Buffalo win when his first half was awful, and got roasted by other posters.  I understood where he was coming from.  Yes, he can go into NBA Jam mode at any point, but when he doesn't have it, he does NOT do a good job of finding other ways to contribute, get other people shots, etc.  I think he needs to grow the most in this area.  Ponds scores almost as much as him but also leads the conference in assists.  Markus seems so one-dimensional.  It's an amazing dimension when he's on, but if we are literally going to win or lose as Markus goes, then we will not go far in the BE tournament or the NCAA tournament, because against good competition, he's just not going to be able to single-handily carry us for the multiple wins in a row required to win a tournament on a neutral floor.

Lastly, this team's ceiling will be determined by how much less reliant we become on Markus as the year goes on.  If others step up and he learns to better incorporate others, the ceiling is high.  If not, we may finish as high as 12-6 in the BE but I don't see much happening after that.  Teams with one main star don't tend to do much outside of Kemba Walker that one year.

March 23rd

Howard running PG, playing 35+ minutes, launching 20+ shots every game no matter the result again next year and getting constant unlimited star treatment and unending praise from Wojo?  My opinion, but then expect a repeat of this year.  Also, poor Sam must be so tired of having to constantly answer questions about Howard during the postgame pressers.  We need more balance.  Enough of the star parade.  I don't like where it gets us.  I don't like the feeling all us fans have right now about how this season ended.  There's a lot of anger and a lot of justified reasons for it.

April 17th (yes, these are my new comments)

When things were good, most posters like me who were worried about the way we were winning posted with the risk of tremendous backlash.  My issues with the way we were winning were twofold:

1. Not sustainable
2. A cancer to team chemistry

I watched every single postgame press conference, and every time Sam was asked a Markus question, he gave very diplomatic answers, but you could see it on his face.  It was exhausting as a fan to watch.  I can only imagine how much more amplified it was for Sam in person.

Markus is a terrific ambassador for Marquette.  It's been awesome to see the national attention he has brought back to MU.  I squarely place the blame back on Wojo's usage of him.  Wojo gave him...well I was going to say far too long of a leash, but really no leash at all.  No one wants to play with a chucker, especially one who doesn't know when to stop and/or have a coach who knows how to manage it.

So, I'll go back to what I've said before.  If Howard can play off the ball more, has a more controlled usage, actually faces consequences when he plays hero ball, and learns to trust & find his teammates more, we could be really good.  Even without the Hausers.  Think about the fact that the four players we just lost are our four least athletic players.  We could be super fast & quick next year and do alright (we had almost no transition offense last year).  I think we need Torrence now too (hoping he reclassifies).

Last thing I'll say about all this.  Actions speak way louder than words.  Wojo's constant "the strength of our team is our team" bs was just that...complete bs, because he never coached like it, yet he repeated it all the time whenever convenient.  I'm sure every time the Hausers heard Wojo saying that publicly they were thinking what a compete hypocrite Wojo is.  Howard constantly praising his teammates every chance he got but then shot hunting every game is just as disingenuous, but again, I believe it's the coach's job to coach that.  I hope no one else transfers, but I believe Wojo & Howard have to both find a way to earn this team's trust back, or we are broken.  Sure, Cain, Bailey, & crew may be excited by more minutes, but more minutes in the current system are only going to temporarily mask deep-seeded frustrations in the long run.  I wish the Hausers well unless they end up at UW.  I'm already over them leaving, because there is zero point in dwelling.  Next man up, and I'm actually kind of excited to see what our athletes can do next year.  I just hope (without any confidence) that Wojo will actually know how to manage the pieces he has for the first time ever and actually exceed expectations for the first time ever.
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Re: It's obvious and it's been obvious...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 06:07:45 AM »
Why is everyone saying the problem is Markus or Wojo. Why isn't the problem the massive egos of the Hausers?

They are leaving a potential top 5 team and, at best, going to an equivalent level team in Virginia and /or Michigan State (at least compared to MU's potential next season).  If they go to Bucky they are going to a clearly lesser ranked team.

They cannot "beat out" Markus?  They cannot get more selfish and demand the ball, or take the ball?  MAybe they are not as good as their egos think they are.  Maybe Bailey or Elliott (or Kobe) force Joey out of his starting role next year.  I saw him being a turn over machine down the stretch.

So if they go to Virginia, and the national champion coach Tony Bennett recruits a superstar one and done scorer this year, that becomes the leading scorer in two years, the Hausers think this is preferable than working with Markus? Ditto final four coach Tom Izzo.  Are they sure he will not replace Winston this summer with an even better scoring guard?

If they want to be featured, go to Bucky because the odds are low that Gard is getting a superstar that will be featured over them.  Then they are saying that playing for a far lesser team and being featured is far more important than playing next April in Atlanta.  Because if they stay at MU, playing in April in Atlanta in realistic.  It is not a Bucky, and odds are reasonable if they are playing with Virginia in April in two years they are playing the same supporting role they have now.

This is on the Hausers and their incredibly selfish egos. Transferring says they are more interested in filling the stat sheet than winning.  They can win big now at MU but what is more important is they want more numbers on their stat sheet
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 06:14:39 AM by Heisenberg v2.0 »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 06:33:11 AM »
This world is not black and white. It is an infinite number of shades of grey. Saying that this is all on Markus, or all on Wojo, or all on the Hauser boys, seems awfully simplistic.

Going back and forth on the reasons seems like an awful waste of time. Dissecting the various factors that went into this decision, when most of us do not know any of these people individually — relying upon hearsay of differing levels of trustworthiness instead — seems equally wasteful.

The fact is, for better or worse, they are gone. Wojo is the captain of this ship, at least for now. Where the ship sails to from here on out is completely under his control. Thus, I see next year as a watershed moment for Wojo. Either the ship sails true, or it sinks.

I have my doubts about Wojo. I’ve had those doubts all along. That said, I acknowledge he is growing as a coach. Maybe he knows something we, as a board of non-insiders, don’t know. Maybe his vision for this team didn’t necessarily rely on the Hauser. We don’t know. It’s conjecture.

What we do know is that this team was supposed to bring back nearly every piece, and certainly every significant piece, of a five seeded NCAA team. Now it doesn’t. That matters little though in the end. Either we progress and show addition by subtraction is a real concept, or we falter, in which case I think the final chapter on Wojo’s story as Marquette basketball head coach is written. There can be no excuses. Next year is make or break. While Wojo is coach, I’ll continue to hold out hope that we can “make.”

Losing the Hauser boys is a real loss. But it is not — should not be — the end all be all. It’s on Wojo know to find a way to better this team despite the departure of two starters. That’s the beauty of college ball; it’s possible.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 07:04:30 AM »
This world is not black and white. It is an infinite number of shades of grey. Saying that this is all on Markus, or all on Wojo, or all on the Hauser boys, seems awfully simplistic.

Going back and forth on the reasons seems like an awful waste of time. Dissecting the various factors that went into this decision, when most of us do not know any of these people individually — relying upon hearsay of differing levels of trustworthiness instead — seems equally wasteful.

The fact is, for better or worse, they are gone. Wojo is the captain of this ship, at least for now. Where the ship sails to from here on out is completely under his control. Thus, I see next year as a watershed moment for Wojo. Either the ship sails true, or it sinks.

I have my doubts about Wojo. I’ve had those doubts all along. That said, I acknowledge he is growing as a coach. Maybe he knows something we, as a board of non-insiders, don’t know. Maybe his vision for this team didn’t necessarily rely on the Hauser. We don’t know. It’s conjecture.

What we do know is that this team was supposed to bring back nearly every piece, and certainly every significant piece, of a five seeded NCAA team. Now it doesn’t. That matters little though in the end. Either we progress and show addition by subtraction is a real concept, or we falter, in which case I think the final chapter on Wojo’s story as Marquette basketball head coach is written. There can be no excuses. Next year is make or break. While Wojo is coach, I’ll continue to hold out hope that we can “make.”

Losing the Hauser boys is a real loss. But it is not — should not be — the end all be all. It’s on Wojo know to find a way to better this team despite the departure of two starters. That’s the beauty of college ball; it’s possible.

I agree.   I'm ready to move forward.  Time for Wojo to sink or swim.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 07:10:25 AM »

But what if he floats—does that mean he’s a witch?

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 07:15:08 AM »

I suppose that depends on whether he lays an egg next season that hatches into a duck that ends up weighing the same as Wojo.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 07:22:23 AM »

I was trying to provide a counter-point to all the Markus/Wojo hate.  Don't see as many putting this on the Hausers being selfish.

But I agree we will move on, but it is the offseason and there is nothing else to discuss.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 07:22:54 AM »
Why is everyone saying the problem is Markus or Wojo. Why isn't the problem the massive egos of the Hausers?

They are leaving a potential top 5 team and, at best, going to an equivalent level team in Virginia and /or Michigan State (at least compared to MU's potential next season).  If they go to Bucky they are going to a clearly lesser ranked team.

They cannot "beat out" Markus?  They cannot get more selfish and demand the ball, or take the ball?  MAybe they are not as good as their egos think they are.  Maybe Bailey or Elliott (or Kobe) force Joey out of his starting role next year.  I saw him being a turn over machine down the stretch.

So if they go to Virginia, and the national champion coach Tony Bennett recruits a superstar one and done scorer this year, that becomes the leading scorer in two years, the Hausers think this is preferable than working with Markus? Ditto final four coach Tom Izzo.  Are they sure he will not replace Winston this summer with an even better scoring guard?

If they want to be featured, go to Bucky because the odds are low that Gard is getting a superstar that will be featured over them.  Then they are saying that playing for a far lesser team and being featured is far more important than playing next April in Atlanta.  Because if they stay at MU, playing in April in Atlanta in realistic.  It is not a Bucky, and odds are reasonable if they are playing with Virginia in April in two years they are playing the same supporting role they have now.

This is on the Hausers and their incredibly selfish egos. Transferring says they are more interested in filling the stat sheet than winning.  They can win big now at MU but what is more important is they want more numbers on their stat sheet

You are so incredibly wrong.

When you're girlfriend won't change after 2 years of you asking for change... You have to break up with her. You don't stink around any longer once you realize things are never going to get better

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 08:03:02 AM »

Incredibly selfish egos? Filling the stat sheet?

Most of the speculation here on the Hausers has been a banal recitation of the trite and the hackneyed. But what you just wrote is not just incorrect but repulsive.

These are good kids. Don't ascribe values or impute behaviors that are not there.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 08:11:27 AM »

I suppose that depends on whether he lays an egg next season that hatches into a duck that ends up weighing the same as Wojo.

This is the stuff that separates Scoop from all other fan boards.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 08:12:31 AM »
You are so incredibly wrong.

When you're girlfriend won't change after 2 years of you asking for change... You have to break up with her. You don't stink around any longer once you realize things are never going to get better

This analogy sucks. Markus isn't the Hausers' girlfriend. It's not his responsibility to change to make the Hausers happy or provide what they want or think they need. His on-court existence does not and should not revolve around their happiness.
The simple fact here is the Hausers chose to leave because they want to go somewhere they believe they'll be more featured, and not play second fiddle to an all-American. That is all. That's their right and I don't begrudge them for it. It doesn't make them bad kids. There's a logic to it, at least in Joey's case (Sam sitting one to play one is just plain goofy).

But let's stop making Markus out to be a villain here. He's also done nothing wrong. And he's certainly not responsible for the Hausers.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 08:13:05 AM »

Most of the speculation here on the Hausers has been a banal recitation of the trite and the hackneyed. But what you just wrote is not just incorrect but repulsive.

These are good kids. Don't ascribe values or impute behaviors that are not there.

Did you get a thesaurus for your birthday?
We Are Marquette

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 08:19:58 AM »

Then why are they transferring? To go play somewhere where they will get less minutes and less opportunities?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 08:25:55 AM »

I think that this is a very fair analogy.

It also has the benefit of being completely neutral regarding whether the change you've been asking for is good or bad.  That doesn't matter.  If change is important to you and you've asked for change, it makes sense to leave if you know that change isn't coming.  The analogy, as stated, doesn't pick sides and doesn't insist that one side must have been in the wrong.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 08:39:54 AM »
This analogy sucks. Markus isn't the Hausers' girlfriend. It's not his responsibility to change to make the Hausers happy or provide what they want or think they need. His on-court existence does not and should not revolve around their happiness.
The simple fact here is the Hausers chose to leave because they want to go somewhere they believe they'll be more featured, and not play second fiddle to an all-American. That is all. That's their right and I don't begrudge them for it. It doesn't make them bad kids. There's a logic to it, at least in Joey's case (Sam sitting one to play one is just plain goofy).

But let's stop making Markus out to be a villain here. He's also done nothing wrong. And he's certainly not responsible for the Hausers.

+1

I cannot believe the hate Markus, and the never-ending defense to the Hausers.

Pakuni is 100% correct, it is not Markus, job to make them happy.  It is the Hausers job to outplay Markus ... and they cannot.

So they are taking their ball and going home.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 08:41:42 AM »
Then why are they transferring? To go play somewhere where they will get less minutes and less opportunities?

Ya unnatural carnal knowledge them for wanting to play basketball instead of watching Markus shoot from 40 feet outside.

I've said this before and very few understand it. Sam was our best player, by a lot. Marquette will miss the spacing, the dead eye shooting, the defense (Even though there are some here that think he's horrible, hes not.) and the rebounding. Sam never will put up 50. But hes the guy who can do everything.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 08:42:09 AM »

Very strong post, MUC. I've been saying for two days now that far too many Scoopers are trying to make this an all-or-nothing, him-vs-him argument.

When parsing out percentages of "blame," I give the higher percentage to Wojo because he's the CEO of the organization, and he is responsible for everything. A big part of a coach's job description is managing egos -- and situations just like this -- and he failed to manage this one to the best resolution.

That said, it isn't 100% on him, and it happened, and it's over, and we have to go forward now. I know Scoop, so we will not only be legislating this all offseason, but also next season and also 10 years from now. We're still legislating the choice of Hank as Al's successor, and we also can count on several new Crean-vs-Buzz threads being started over the next several months. So I'm not naive enough to think we actually will move on about the Hausers quitting.

But I plan to try my best to move on. I do see some possibilities for success for next year's team, especially if Koby and/or Symir are as good as advertised. I'll be rooting for my Warriors, and that means rooting for the coach of my team to do a good job.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 08:44:30 AM »

Who would you rather have as our coach next year, one Wojo-sized duck, or 100 duck-sized Wojos?

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 08:44:38 AM »
+1

Pakuni is 100% correct, it is not Markus, job to make them happy.  It is the Hausers job to outplay Markus ... and they cannot.

Totally agree.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 08:46:08 AM »

The girlfriend in that analogy is Wojo, not Markus

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 08:48:35 AM »

Why does that change the narrative around the Hausers? Why does Marquette Basketball change for Sammy and Joey?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2019, 08:49:34 AM »
https://www.stevenspointjournal.com/story/sports/2019/04/16/marquette-shocker-hausers-seek-better-fit-former-spash-coach-says/3481168002/

It hasn’t been a, 'Boy, they’ve been so unhappy' kind of thing. ... They’re interested in exploring if they can find a place that is just a little better fit for them in the future, and that’s what they’re pursuing.

This quote from their high school coach makes them sound pretty selfish.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2019, 08:57:27 AM »

Is Wojo the Hausers' girlfriend or Howard's?  What if Markus is John Lennon and Sam is Paul McCartney?  Yoko Wojo?

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 08:57:40 AM »
I've said this before and very few understand it. Sam was our best player, by a lot. Marquette will miss the spacing, the dead eye shooting, the defense (Even though there are some here that think he's horrible, hes not.) and the rebounding. Sam never will put up 50. But hes the guy who can do everything.

Both Hausers are exceptional basketball players and will be sorely missed. Both have pro potential. No less than Jay Bilas said he thought Sam would have a long NBA career. I don't disagree given the way Sam can shoot and the evolution of today's NBA toward 3s. The criticism of the Hausers as players and saying they won't be missed is as inaccurate as saying this is all any one person's fault.

I also think the Hausers' decisions were exceptionally selfish, misguided and immature. This is why millenials have a bad reputation in modern America. Just my opinion, of course.
We Are Marquette

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 09:01:15 AM »
Ya unnatural carnal knowledge them for wanting to play basketball instead of watching Markus shoot from 40 feet outside.

Absolutely
 And we are losing a ton with his parting
This is all on Wozo the bozo.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 09:05:43 AM »
Both Hausers are exceptional basketball players and will be sorely missed. Both have pro potential. No less than Jay Bilas said he thought Sam would have a long NBA career. I don't disagree given the way Sam can shoot and the evolution of today's NBA toward 3s. The criticism of the Hausers as players and saying they won't be missed is as inaccurate as saying this is all any one person's fault.

I also think the Hausers' decisions were exceptionally selfish, misguided and immature. This is why millenials have a bad reputation in modern America. Just my opinion, of course.

They're not millenials. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2019, 09:19:25 AM »

Is that supposed to make the analogy better?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2019, 09:33:04 AM »
I was trying to provide a counter-point to all the Markus/Wojo hate.  Don't see as many putting this on the Hausers being selfish.

But I agree we will move on, but it is the offseason and there is nothing else to discuss.

Did you ever watch Marquette play in 2018-19? On the 1-10 "selfish" scale (10 being the most selfish) Sam Hauser was a 1. Markus was a 9. And from listening to Wojo talk, he was more than OK with that. In fact, it was the plan. That plan may win an extra game here and there (especially with a player as gifted offensively as Markus) but when things go south they go south quickly.

I've seen a lot of great players come and go at Marquette - Thompson, Meminger, Butch, DWade, to name but a few - and all of them were capable (if necessary) of taking over a game. But that was never the game plan. With Wojo (whether it's Carlino, Ellenson, Howard/Rowsey or Howard it seems like the only plan. That breeds discontent.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2019, 09:38:39 AM »
There's nothing obvious except that you are looking at things and interpreting them in your way.  Other people are perhaps interpreting them differently.  This is no different than the minimum seven threads that are discussing why the Hausers left.  You all may want to rehash this all summer, but I don't.  They're gone.  We adjust.  That's it.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2019, 09:39:21 AM »
This is why millenials have a bad reputation in modern America. Just my opinion, of course.

Yes, millenials have an especially bad reputation among the generation that grew up inhaling exhaust from leaded gasoline. We're really torn up about it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2019, 09:39:49 AM »
https://www.stevenspointjournal.com/story/sports/2019/04/16/marquette-shocker-hausers-seek-better-fit-former-spash-coach-says/3481168002/

It hasn’t been a, 'Boy, they’ve been so unhappy' kind of thing. ... They’re interested in exploring if they can find a place that is just a little better fit for them in the future, and that’s what they’re pursuing.

No doubt he felt he was trying to protect them from something. But you're right. You upend a top-10 program to which you had made a commitment because you want "just a little better fit"?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2019, 09:41:45 AM »
This is the stuff that separates Scoop from all other fan boards.

I love all of you and we will get through this together. Even if we're becoming SLU

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2019, 09:44:26 AM »

No one is saying they won't be missed. But to say it's all cuase of others (Howard/Wojo) and not at all about them (Hausers) is laughable.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2019, 09:46:17 AM »

This is why millenials have a bad reputation in modern America. Just my opinion, of course.

Yes, the millenials. So bad. Who wants clean energy, the longest peacetime in history, exponential technology advancement, social changes for the better. We better start getting better at the things that matter. Gotta start another cold war, develop more nuclear bombs that can end all life, make that Ozone hole bigger rather then smaller, wear our white hoods and lynch some people. Because your generation was soooooooo good at all of that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2019, 09:50:51 AM »

Simple fact??? LOL. Simple opinion not borne out by three years of empirical evidence. Did you watch the the NCAA championship game? Virginia and Texas Tech had "stars" who will both be top 10 picks in this year's draft. At crunch time both teams went to their stars, but throughout the season they played well within a team concept. That's just not the way Markus (or Wojo) roll. It's the way they talk, but watch MU play and it becomes clear it's just talk. 41% usage for a guy in an awful slump as his team is falling apart? C'mon.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2019, 09:54:26 AM »
+1

I disagree and agree on some of these points.

Agree - not on Markus to to keep everyone happy, that's on Wojo

Disagree - it's not on the Hauser's to outplay anyone. A team of selfish players will never win in the long run.

Ultimately this is on Wojo. When Markus was unconscious, and couldn't miss, you ride the hot hand. However, down the stretch as Markus was hurt, tired, or whatever other reason he "off" you look for a much more balanced team approach. We saw "hero ball" from Markus mutliple times this season. And multiple times the causal scoop observer noticed how wide open Sam was for shots. Wojo should have practiced what he preached - The strength of the team is the team. Howeve what really happened was the strength of the team is Markus Come hell or high water.

Again this is not on Markus. he did what wojo asked.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2019, 09:55:08 AM »
Simple fact??? LOL. Simple opinion not borne out by three years of empirical evidence. Did you watch the the NCAA championship game? Virginia and Texas Tech had "stars" who will both be top 10 picks in this year's draft. At crunch time both teams went to their stars, but throughout the season they played well within a team concept. That's just not the way Markus (or Wojo) roll. It's the way they talk, but watch MU play and it becomes clear it's just talk. 41% usage for a guy in an awful slump as his team is falling apart? C'mon.

Nothing you just wrote contradicted what I wrote.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2019, 09:55:32 AM »
No doubt he felt he was trying to protect them from something. But you're right. You upend a top-10 program to which you had made a commitment because you want "just a little better fit"?

C'mon, Mike. You know a BS fluff piece when you see one. Better fit is code for they wanted to return to basketball as a team sport with a team culture. They wanted out of hero ball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2019, 09:57:10 AM »

And then there is Purdue. A fluke play/shot away from the final 4 and beating UVA

They had a guy who chucked even more than Markus. Had an even lower assist rate and his supporting cast was even less diverse.

They made it work. Cline was good with his opportunities. Sam wasn’t good with that role(even tho his was more than Clines throughout his career). Not every college b-ball team has the same “system”.

We don’t have to be like TT. How way can be successful too. But if players don’t like it, they are allowed to leave
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2019, 09:59:05 AM »
Nothing you just wrote contradicted what I wrote.

You said they wanted to be "featured" and that it was a fact. How is that so? It's your opinion. An opinion (IMO) not borne out by fact.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2019, 10:00:20 AM »
C'mon, Mike. You know a BS fluff piece when you see one. Better fit is code for they wanted to return to basketball as a team sport with a team culture. They wanted out of hero ball.

Couldn't this be code for the Hausers are fine with hero ball as long as they are the heroes?

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2019, 10:07:19 AM »

Because they are.

They are walking away from a top team next year to sit a year in order to find "just a little bit better fit for them in the future."

Winning does not matter to them.  If it did, they would not leave a pre-season top five team to sit a year in the hopes another school in 2 years (and 3 or 4 for Joey) will offer them "just a little bit better fit."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2019, 10:08:38 AM »
You said they wanted to be "featured" and that it was a fact. How is that so? It's your opinion. An opinion (IMO) not borne out by fact.

I'll just assume you didn't read my post very well before getting your dander up.
What I actually wrote:
"The simple fact here is the Hausers chose to leave because they want to go somewhere they believe they'll be more featured, and not play second fiddle to an all-American."

Now, tell me how that's wrong? Are you saying they're leaving because they want to play in a system in which they're less featured?  Or are you saying they were happy with the roles they had but leaving anyhow?
Or do you now agree with me?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2019, 10:10:26 AM »

No it is not the Hausers job to "outplay" Markus. It is their job to player TOGETHER for the common goal of winning.. Markus had a tendency to forget about that.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2019, 10:12:21 AM »
Couldn't this be code for the Hausers are fine with hero ball as long as they are the heroes?

exactly right

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2019, 10:16:00 AM »
Yes, the millenials. So bad. Who wants clean energy, the longest peacetime in history, exponential technology advancement, social changes for the better. We better start getting better at the things that matter. Gotta start another cold war, develop more nuclear bombs that can end all life, make that Ozone hole bigger rather then smaller, wear our white hoods and lynch some people. Because your generation was soooooooo good at all of that.

I like and admire all of those things about millenials. The entitlement and narcissism exhibited in many millenials I can do without.

And I’m Gen X, not Montgomery Burns.
We Are Marquette

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2019, 10:16:11 AM »
I'll just assume you didn't read my post very well before getting your dander up.
What I actually wrote:
"The simple fact here is the Hausers chose to leave because they want to go somewhere they believe they'll be more featured, and not play second fiddle to an all-American."

Now, tell me how that's wrong? Are you saying they're leaving because they want to play in a system in which they're less featured?  Or are you saying they were happy with the roles they had but leaving anyhow?
Or do you now agree with me?

They want the TEAM to be featured, not just one guy. Or 2 guys. Or 3 guys.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2019, 10:16:44 AM »

Fluff piece? It was a direct quote from the head coach, one who has inside knowledge, one who actually talked to the Hausers and their parents. It wasn't the writer saying it.

But I did start my very brief comment by saying the coach likely was just trying to protect the boys, presumably by not wanting them to look like unhappy malcontents.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2019, 10:25:02 AM »
They both want to be featured and want a shot at making the NBA. I guess it's Sam's best interest to go elsewhere instead of stick around with Markus. I personally think that he could still be a fringe NBA player coming back for his senior year. Joey, who knows.

To say they're selfish and act like they don't have the right to be is silly. They don't owe anything to the fans or even the team. I cannot fault a couple of young guys for making a choice they felt was right, whether or not it works out to their advantage in the end. Time to move on and look forward to who embraces a new role in the starting lineup.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2019, 10:25:14 AM »

It sounds like they want to be somewhere where the strength of the team is the team.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2019, 10:28:29 AM »
Did you get a thesaurus for your birthday?

Good line, but the poster did show that it is possible to communicate without dese, dohs, he be, and aina.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2019, 10:29:15 AM »

Is this based upon your numerous conversations with them?
And how is saying they want the TEAM featured any different than saying they want to be featured more? Wouldn't featuring the TEAM more necessarily mean that THEY would be featured more? Honestly, you're just playing semantics now. Nothing I wrote was incorrect.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2019, 10:44:13 AM »
Because they are.

They are walking away from a top team next year to sit a year in order to find "just a little bit better fit for them in the future."

Winning does not matter to them.  If it did, they would not leave a pre-season top five team to sit a year in the hopes another school in 2 years (and 3 or 4 for Joey) will offer them "just a little bit better fit."

If they go to Michigan State or Virginia, I think they care about winning. We talk about how highly ranked we’d be next year, but based on what’s been talked about, is there any confidence we would have achieved it? It sounds like the slide was due to more than just an injured wrist and our coach didn’t do anything to help it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2019, 10:47:10 AM »
I like and admire all of those things about millenials. The entitlement and narcissism exhibited in many millenials I can do without.

And I’m Gen X, not Montgomery Burns.

They aren't millennials. Sam would've been born in 99 I believe making him gen z and Joey is definitely gen z meanwhile millennial is associated with gen y. Please know who you're insulting if you're going to make blanket generalizations like all you gen xers love to do
Maigh Eo for Sam

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2019, 10:54:26 AM »
Please know who you're insulting if you're going to make blanket generalizations like all you gen xers love to do

Well played.
We Are Marquette

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2019, 10:54:54 AM »
Please know who you're insulting if you're going to make blanket generalizations like all you gen xers love to do

This is unintentionally funny.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2019, 10:57:05 AM »

I'm pretty sure it was intentional.  ;)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2019, 10:58:08 AM »
+1

Or fear they will be outplayed by Bailey or McEwen or.......

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2019, 11:02:09 AM »
I'm pretty sure it was intentional.  ;)

It’s even funnier if it’s unintentional.
We Are Marquette

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2019, 11:30:03 AM »

Very intentional
Maigh Eo for Sam

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2019, 11:33:36 AM »

Bill Raf said many times on TV Sam is the best player on the team.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2019, 11:40:19 AM »

Who is accountable for the team's success?  That is correct the coach. He recruits the players, he runs the team as he sees fit and players respond in different ways to the coaching. After five years are the players or fans satisfied with the results? Each of us have an opinion.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2019, 11:43:03 AM »
Very intentional

Which makes it funnier yet as you hooked some big fish. Pak needs teal often. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2019, 11:51:43 AM »

Who is accountable for the team's success?  That is correct the coach. He recruits the players, he runs the team as he sees fit and players respond in different ways to the coaching. After five years are the players or fans satisfied with the results? Each of us have an opinion.

I’ll say this, at the end of the season even with the collapse, I was Team Wojo.  At this point, I think it’s irrevocably broken. 

If they have success this year, I think he’s gone following the season.  And he can point to the lack of an extension as a “legitimate” excuse for bolting. Either way, the long-term future beyond 2020 is a mess IMO
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2019, 11:52:26 AM »

Yes. I don’t believe I’ve insinuated anything to the contrary.

Personally, I am not satisfied. I do not think he’s at the point to be fired right now, but I don’t think those calling for his head right now are completely off-base.

As I’ve said, he is the captain of the ship. He is responsible for whether the ship reaches destination or sinks. He is responsible, in part, for the Hauser departure. Maybe he was okay with it. Maybe not. Regardless, next year there is progress or there is not. If there is not, I’ll join the “cut ties” group.

As an aside, what I love about college basketball is that players are constantly being replaced. I do not want to minimize the Hauser’s impact (Sam was our best player and Joey, while a freshman with mistakes, has great potential), but I am hopeful this team can be successful with the additions of Elliot, Koby, etc. Perhaps addition by subtraction. This is college basketball. Expectations, in my world, remain the same.

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2019, 11:53:16 AM »
Did you ever watch Marquette play in 2018-19? On the 1-10 "selfish" scale (10 being the most selfish) Sam Hauser was a 1. Markus was a 9. And from listening to Wojo talk, he was more than OK with that. In fact, it was the plan. That plan may win an extra game here and there (especially with a player as gifted offensively as Markus) but when things go south they go south quickly.

I've seen a lot of great players come and go at Marquette - Thompson, Meminger, Butch, DWade, to name but a few - and all of them were capable (if necessary) of taking over a game. But that was never the game plan. With Wojo (whether it's Carlino, Ellenson, Howard/Rowsey or Howard it seems like the only plan. That breeds discontent.

Exactly.  This person gets it.  Imagine how bad it must have been for the brothers to make a move this dramatic.  They were miserable with the current scheme.  It's no different than having a job where you can't stand your boss, and even though you wait it out awhile, he shows no signs of changing his style, so you go elsewhere to be happy.  I wish this could have been reconciled but if Wojo made them this unhappy I don't blame them for leaving.  I don't think this is directly about them needing to be featured more or needing more shots as much as they are tired of the Markus show, the long contested jumpers whenever he feels like it, the possessions with no passes before a hoist, and probably most importantly, a coach who tirelessly talks about the team but then supports that talk by completely letting one player do whatever he wants when he wants.  It's toxic and they wanted out.  It's really that simple.

Anyone putting a lot of stock into what their high school coach said...c'mon, of course he's going to say something generic like "looking for a better fit" because again, that's the diplomatic thing to say.  Did you expect him to say, "They grew a strong disdain for the coach, believed he was incompetent, and were exhausted from hero ball."  No.  He's not going to say that.  None of this is that complicated.

This is 100% on Wojo.  He's running the ship.  What happened is unprecedented, and assuming that two of the most unselfish players on the team suddenly became so selfish they made a move this dramatic is an unbelievable narrative.  They just want to play team ball again.  I don't think I'm alone as a fan saying that I want to see the same too.  Wish they wouldn't have left.  Don't blame them for making a decision they are entitled to make.  Ready to move on with who we have.  Hoping Wojo learns to coach Markus and that this whole team thing they constantly talk about becomes a reality.  Very little blame to Markus.  Tremendous player, just needs a little coaching.  Glad he's back.  But if you are Wojo, saying the strength of our team is the team and then talking about Markus having the unlimited green light...these are two very contradictory things.
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2019, 11:54:52 AM »
Which makes it funnier yet as you hooked some big fish. Pak needs teal often.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2019, 12:01:26 PM »
Sam is not the best. Cant dribble. Cant create much. Slow as hell. Good luck being the superstar at uva. The guy ain't that good

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2019, 12:06:09 PM »
Sam is not the best. Cant dribble. Cant create much. Slow as hell. Good luck being the superstar at uva. The guy ain't that good

Sam is damn good

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2019, 12:20:17 PM »

He’s still a very good player and we are worse without him.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2019, 12:25:03 PM »
any truth to Sam and Markus almost coming to blows on flight back after Murray St?  A letter the team sent to wojo about concerns?

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2019, 12:26:50 PM »
Sam is damn good

Sam is really, really, really good. He does a lot of things well including 40% from 3. That combination is next to impossible to find. Sam is a star. I don't see how this is even remotely debatable.

STATS
2018-19

GP   MPG   FG%   FT%   REB   AST   BLK   STL   PF   TO   PTS
34   33.4   45.9   92.4   7.2   2.4   0.5   0.6   2.1   1.4   14.9

We Are Marquette

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2019, 12:35:28 PM »
Sam is really, really, really good. He does a lot of things well including 40% from 3. That combination is next to impossible to find. Sam is a star. I don't see how this is even remotely debatable.

STATS
2018-19

GP   MPG   FG%   FT%   REB   AST   BLK   STL   PF   TO   PTS
34   33.4   45.9   92.4   7.2   2.4   0.5   0.6   2.1   1.4   14.9

Kid is simply a basketball player.  High basketball IQ, motor, skilled, has it all.  Is he a future NBA All-Star?  Nope, but I’ll take 5 of him on my college team.

Now, doesn’t mean they can’t play a different way and win without him but I know what they had with him and it was good

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2019, 01:39:17 PM »
Exactly.  This person gets it.  Imagine how bad it must have been for the brothers to make a move this dramatic.  They were miserable with the current scheme.  It's no different than having a job where you can't stand your boss, and even though you wait it out awhile, he shows no signs of changing his style, so you go elsewhere to be happy.

I think this is a good comparison. But you follow the comparison by jumping to the conclusion that the supervisor is wrong and the employee is right. What if your supervisor was doing what was best for the company?

Wojo's job is to win games. Not to make every player on his team happy. He thought this playstyle was the best way to win games. Maybe he was right, maybe he was wrong. Personally, I'd be more concerned if he was making playstyle changes that he thought would decrease our chances of winning just to appease players.

That being said, I think we are trying oversimplify a not simple situation. Wojo's role isn't just to pick the playstyle, he also has to get the players to buy into their roles. He did a tremendous job of that with Heldt. Took a kid who was starting, turned him into a benchwarmer, but the kid still bought in and Wojo went out of his way to make sure his efforts were recognized. The more I hear, the more I think Wojo failed to do that with the Hausers.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2019, 01:44:49 PM »
any truth to Sam and Markus almost coming to blows on flight back after Murray St?  A letter the team sent to wojo about concerns?

I know the letter happened. not sure about the fight.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2019, 01:46:09 PM »
Exactly.  This person gets it.  Imagine how bad it must have been for the brothers to make a move this dramatic.  They were miserable with the current scheme.  It's no different than having a job where you can't stand your boss, and even though you wait it out awhile, he shows no signs of changing his style, so you go elsewhere to be happy.  I wish this could have been reconciled but if Wojo made them this unhappy I don't blame them for leaving.  I don't think this is directly about them needing to be featured more or needing more shots as much as they are tired of the Markus show, the long contested jumpers whenever he feels like it, the possessions with no passes before a hoist, and probably most importantly, a coach who tirelessly talks about the team but then supports that talk by completely letting one player do whatever he wants when he wants.  It's toxic and they wanted out.  It's really that simple.

Anyone putting a lot of stock into what their high school coach said...c'mon, of course he's going to say something generic like "looking for a better fit" because again, that's the diplomatic thing to say.  Did you expect him to say, "They grew a strong disdain for the coach, believed he was incompetent, and were exhausted from hero ball."  No.  He's not going to say that.  None of this is that complicated.

This is 100% on Wojo.  He's running the ship.  What happened is unprecedented, and assuming that two of the most unselfish players on the team suddenly became so selfish they made a move this dramatic is an unbelievable narrative.  They just want to play team ball again.  I don't think I'm alone as a fan saying that I want to see the same too.  Wish they wouldn't have left.  Don't blame them for making a decision they are entitled to make.  Ready to move on with who we have.  Hoping Wojo learns to coach Markus and that this whole team thing they constantly talk about becomes a reality.  Very little blame to Markus.  Tremendous player, just needs a little coaching.  Glad he's back.  But if you are Wojo, saying the strength of our team is the team and then talking about Markus having the unlimited green light...these are two very contradictory things.
Problem within is; who is Marcus going to get the coaching from? Cause it sure as hell ain't Eojo
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.