[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: It's obvious and it's been obvious...  (Read 12737 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: It's obvious and it's been obvious...
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 09:05:43 AM »
Both Hausers are exceptional basketball players and will be sorely missed. Both have pro potential. No less than Jay Bilas said he thought Sam would have a long NBA career. I don't disagree given the way Sam can shoot and the evolution of today's NBA toward 3s. The criticism of the Hausers as players and saying they won't be missed is as inaccurate as saying this is all any one person's fault.

I also think the Hausers' decisions were exceptionally selfish, misguided and immature. This is why millenials have a bad reputation in modern America. Just my opinion, of course.

They're not millenials. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2019, 09:19:25 AM »
The girlfriend in that analogy is Wojo, not Markus

Is that supposed to make the analogy better?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2019, 09:33:04 AM »
I was trying to provide a counter-point to all the Markus/Wojo hate.  Don't see as many putting this on the Hausers being selfish.

But I agree we will move on, but it is the offseason and there is nothing else to discuss.

Did you ever watch Marquette play in 2018-19? On the 1-10 "selfish" scale (10 being the most selfish) Sam Hauser was a 1. Markus was a 9. And from listening to Wojo talk, he was more than OK with that. In fact, it was the plan. That plan may win an extra game here and there (especially with a player as gifted offensively as Markus) but when things go south they go south quickly.

I've seen a lot of great players come and go at Marquette - Thompson, Meminger, Butch, DWade, to name but a few - and all of them were capable (if necessary) of taking over a game. But that was never the game plan. With Wojo (whether it's Carlino, Ellenson, Howard/Rowsey or Howard it seems like the only plan. That breeds discontent.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2019, 09:38:39 AM »
There's nothing obvious except that you are looking at things and interpreting them in your way.  Other people are perhaps interpreting them differently.  This is no different than the minimum seven threads that are discussing why the Hausers left.  You all may want to rehash this all summer, but I don't.  They're gone.  We adjust.  That's it.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2019, 09:39:21 AM »
This is why millenials have a bad reputation in modern America. Just my opinion, of course.

Yes, millenials have an especially bad reputation among the generation that grew up inhaling exhaust from leaded gasoline. We're really torn up about it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2019, 09:39:49 AM »
https://www.stevenspointjournal.com/story/sports/2019/04/16/marquette-shocker-hausers-seek-better-fit-former-spash-coach-says/3481168002/

It hasn’t been a, 'Boy, they’ve been so unhappy' kind of thing. ... They’re interested in exploring if they can find a place that is just a little better fit for them in the future, and that’s what they’re pursuing.

This quote from their high school coach makes them sound pretty selfish.

No doubt he felt he was trying to protect them from something. But you're right. You upend a top-10 program to which you had made a commitment because you want "just a little better fit"?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2019, 09:41:45 AM »
This is the stuff that separates Scoop from all other fan boards.

I love all of you and we will get through this together. Even if we're becoming SLU

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2019, 09:44:26 AM »
Ya unnatural carnal knowledge them for wanting to play basketball instead of watching Markus shoot from 40 feet outside.

I've said this before and very few understand it. Sam was our best player, by a lot. Marquette will miss the spacing, the dead eye shooting, the defense (Even though there are some here that think he's horrible, hes not.) and the rebounding. Sam never will put up 50. But hes the guy who can do everything.

No one is saying they won't be missed. But to say it's all cuase of others (Howard/Wojo) and not at all about them (Hausers) is laughable.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2019, 09:46:17 AM »

This is why millenials have a bad reputation in modern America. Just my opinion, of course.

Yes, the millenials. So bad. Who wants clean energy, the longest peacetime in history, exponential technology advancement, social changes for the better. We better start getting better at the things that matter. Gotta start another cold war, develop more nuclear bombs that can end all life, make that Ozone hole bigger rather then smaller, wear our white hoods and lynch some people. Because your generation was soooooooo good at all of that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2019, 09:50:51 AM »
This analogy sucks. Markus isn't the Hausers' girlfriend. It's not his responsibility to change to make the Hausers happy or provide what they want or think they need. His on-court existence does not and should not revolve around their happiness.
The simple fact here is the Hausers chose to leave because they want to go somewhere they believe they'll be more featured, and not play second fiddle to an all-American. That is all. That's their right and I don't begrudge them for it. It doesn't make them bad kids. There's a logic to it, at least in Joey's case (Sam sitting one to play one is just plain goofy).

But let's stop making Markus out to be a villain here. He's also done nothing wrong. And he's certainly not responsible for the Hausers.

Simple fact??? LOL. Simple opinion not borne out by three years of empirical evidence. Did you watch the the NCAA championship game? Virginia and Texas Tech had "stars" who will both be top 10 picks in this year's draft. At crunch time both teams went to their stars, but throughout the season they played well within a team concept. That's just not the way Markus (or Wojo) roll. It's the way they talk, but watch MU play and it becomes clear it's just talk. 41% usage for a guy in an awful slump as his team is falling apart? C'mon.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2019, 09:54:26 AM »
+1

I cannot believe the hate Markus, and the never-ending defense to the Hausers.

Pakuni is 100% correct, it is not Markus, job to make them happy.  It is the Hausers job to outplay Markus ... and they cannot.

So they are taking their ball and going home.

I disagree and agree on some of these points.

Agree - not on Markus to to keep everyone happy, that's on Wojo

Disagree - it's not on the Hauser's to outplay anyone. A team of selfish players will never win in the long run.

Ultimately this is on Wojo. When Markus was unconscious, and couldn't miss, you ride the hot hand. However, down the stretch as Markus was hurt, tired, or whatever other reason he "off" you look for a much more balanced team approach. We saw "hero ball" from Markus mutliple times this season. And multiple times the causal scoop observer noticed how wide open Sam was for shots. Wojo should have practiced what he preached - The strength of the team is the team. Howeve what really happened was the strength of the team is Markus Come hell or high water.

Again this is not on Markus. he did what wojo asked.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2019, 09:55:08 AM »
Simple fact??? LOL. Simple opinion not borne out by three years of empirical evidence. Did you watch the the NCAA championship game? Virginia and Texas Tech had "stars" who will both be top 10 picks in this year's draft. At crunch time both teams went to their stars, but throughout the season they played well within a team concept. That's just not the way Markus (or Wojo) roll. It's the way they talk, but watch MU play and it becomes clear it's just talk. 41% usage for a guy in an awful slump as his team is falling apart? C'mon.

Nothing you just wrote contradicted what I wrote.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2019, 09:55:32 AM »
No doubt he felt he was trying to protect them from something. But you're right. You upend a top-10 program to which you had made a commitment because you want "just a little better fit"?

C'mon, Mike. You know a BS fluff piece when you see one. Better fit is code for they wanted to return to basketball as a team sport with a team culture. They wanted out of hero ball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2019, 09:57:10 AM »

And then there is Purdue. A fluke play/shot away from the final 4 and beating UVA

They had a guy who chucked even more than Markus. Had an even lower assist rate and his supporting cast was even less diverse.

They made it work. Cline was good with his opportunities. Sam wasn’t good with that role(even tho his was more than Clines throughout his career). Not every college b-ball team has the same “system”.

We don’t have to be like TT. How way can be successful too. But if players don’t like it, they are allowed to leave
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2019, 09:59:05 AM »
Nothing you just wrote contradicted what I wrote.

You said they wanted to be "featured" and that it was a fact. How is that so? It's your opinion. An opinion (IMO) not borne out by fact.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2019, 10:00:20 AM »
C'mon, Mike. You know a BS fluff piece when you see one. Better fit is code for they wanted to return to basketball as a team sport with a team culture. They wanted out of hero ball.

Couldn't this be code for the Hausers are fine with hero ball as long as they are the heroes?

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2019, 10:07:19 AM »
https://www.stevenspointjournal.com/story/sports/2019/04/16/marquette-shocker-hausers-seek-better-fit-former-spash-coach-says/3481168002/

It hasn’t been a, 'Boy, they’ve been so unhappy' kind of thing. ... They’re interested in exploring if they can find a place that is just a little better fit for them in the future, and that’s what they’re pursuing.

This quote from their high school coach makes them sound pretty selfish.

Because they are.

They are walking away from a top team next year to sit a year in order to find "just a little bit better fit for them in the future."

Winning does not matter to them.  If it did, they would not leave a pre-season top five team to sit a year in the hopes another school in 2 years (and 3 or 4 for Joey) will offer them "just a little bit better fit."
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2019, 10:08:38 AM »
You said they wanted to be "featured" and that it was a fact. How is that so? It's your opinion. An opinion (IMO) not borne out by fact.

I'll just assume you didn't read my post very well before getting your dander up.
What I actually wrote:
"The simple fact here is the Hausers chose to leave because they want to go somewhere they believe they'll be more featured, and not play second fiddle to an all-American."

Now, tell me how that's wrong? Are you saying they're leaving because they want to play in a system in which they're less featured?  Or are you saying they were happy with the roles they had but leaving anyhow?
Or do you now agree with me?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2019, 10:10:26 AM »

Pakuni is 100% correct, it is not Markus, job to make them happy.  It is the Hausers job to outplay Markus ... and they cannot.

No it is not the Hausers job to "outplay" Markus. It is their job to player TOGETHER for the common goal of winning.. Markus had a tendency to forget about that.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2019, 10:12:21 AM »
Couldn't this be code for the Hausers are fine with hero ball as long as they are the heroes?

exactly right
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2019, 10:16:00 AM »
Yes, the millenials. So bad. Who wants clean energy, the longest peacetime in history, exponential technology advancement, social changes for the better. We better start getting better at the things that matter. Gotta start another cold war, develop more nuclear bombs that can end all life, make that Ozone hole bigger rather then smaller, wear our white hoods and lynch some people. Because your generation was soooooooo good at all of that.

I like and admire all of those things about millenials. The entitlement and narcissism exhibited in many millenials I can do without.

And I’m Gen X, not Montgomery Burns.
We Are Marquette

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2019, 10:16:11 AM »
I'll just assume you didn't read my post very well before getting your dander up.
What I actually wrote:
"The simple fact here is the Hausers chose to leave because they want to go somewhere they believe they'll be more featured, and not play second fiddle to an all-American."

Now, tell me how that's wrong? Are you saying they're leaving because they want to play in a system in which they're less featured?  Or are you saying they were happy with the roles they had but leaving anyhow?
Or do you now agree with me?

They want the TEAM to be featured, not just one guy. Or 2 guys. Or 3 guys.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2019, 10:16:44 AM »

Fluff piece? It was a direct quote from the head coach, one who has inside knowledge, one who actually talked to the Hausers and their parents. It wasn't the writer saying it.

But I did start my very brief comment by saying the coach likely was just trying to protect the boys, presumably by not wanting them to look like unhappy malcontents.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2019, 10:25:02 AM »
They both want to be featured and want a shot at making the NBA. I guess it's Sam's best interest to go elsewhere instead of stick around with Markus. I personally think that he could still be a fringe NBA player coming back for his senior year. Joey, who knows.

To say they're selfish and act like they don't have the right to be is silly. They don't owe anything to the fans or even the team. I cannot fault a couple of young guys for making a choice they felt was right, whether or not it works out to their advantage in the end. Time to move on and look forward to who embraces a new role in the starting lineup.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2019, 10:25:14 AM »
They want the TEAM to be featured, not just one guy. Or 2 guys. Or 3 guys.

It sounds like they want to be somewhere where the strength of the team is the team.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback