[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brendan vs Joey  (Read 9829 times)

Fred Garvin

• All American
Brendan vs Joey
« on: April 16, 2019, 09:04:28 AM »
Do you think Wojo simply thinks Brendan is better then Joey? Joey got pissed,parents got pissed,take brother with him.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
Re: Brendan vs Joey
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 09:07:40 AM »
Brendan has the potential to be a better player than Joey.   Joey is slow, turnover prone, and has not shown himself to be the elite recruit that he was touted to be. 

Joey actually nearly travels on almost every possession when he catches and starts his move to dribble.  Drove me crazy during the season.  He will be an average college level player nothing more. 

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 09:12:17 AM »
Do you think Wojo simply thinks Brendan is better then Joey? Joey got pissed,parents got pissed,take brother with him.

Dude, they left for their own reasons. This is so illogical that it boggles the mind.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 09:12:34 AM »
Joey is not that bad, but I am a huge Bailey fan. I think Joey would not of started next year. Most likely Anim would of taken his spot assuming McEwen starts at point. Now with both Hausers gone both Anim and Bailey will start.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 09:15:14 AM »
Great programs want both of them.

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 09:18:07 AM »
Joey is not that bad, but I am a huge Bailey fan. I think Joey would not of started next year. Most likely Anim would of taken his spot assuming McEwen starts at point. Now with both Hausers gone both Anim and Bailey will start.

Bailey's got his work cut out for him; He was poor from the floor, beyond the arc, and the stripe. I'd roll with Joey 7 days a week and twice on Sunday IF he wanted to be here, which he doesn't. So good luck to him and next man up.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 09:21:46 AM »
Bailey never even crossed the minds of opposing coaches last year.  Teams were too worried about stopping Markus and the Hausers.  He’s got a long way to go to become a good college player.  Joey hit the wall in BE play, but I’d take him any day over Bailey.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 09:22:33 AM »
I thought our best lineup next year with the Hausers on board would have been the one you mentioned (McEwen-Howard-Anim-Sam-John) with Joey first off the bench for Anim or his brother.  Of course that assumes McEwen is as good as we've been led to believe.

I'm not getting the Bailey more potential or better than Joey thing, though.  Bailey more athletic, but Joey much more skilled.  To me, prior to the Hauser news breaking, Bailey/Cain were the logical transfer candidates simply based on their situation.  Strictly from a situation POV, I think Bailey now has minutes readily available and no reason to transfer.  Frankly, I hope we get a true PF from somewhere (it seems like we are almost always short a true PF) and Bailey is not starting next year and is instead first off the bench at the 3 and 4, and then takes Anim's spot at the 3 his JR and SR seasons.

Besides shooting, the Hausers were good rebounders and we'll miss that as much as anything.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 09:27:56 AM »

yeah, this.

MU may end up with neither, though.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 09:29:12 AM »
Brendan is probably better defensively.  But overall based on what we saw last year Joey is better and it's not really close.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 10:00:11 AM »

MU may end up with neither, though.

I keep reading this, and I have learned in the last couple of days not to dismiss any speculation. However ...

Unless he really, really, really hates Wojo and/or Marquette, it makes absolutely no sense for him to leave now that 25-30 mpg will be plopped in his lap.

He turns 22 in 2 months. If he transfers and sits a year, he will be 23 before he begins his sophomore season and almost 26 when he'd be done as a senior. He waited all that time to get on the court, and now he's willing to sit out another year? Maybe he thinks he's already ready to play in Europe?

I dunno. Seems almost ridiculous that he would transfer unless he has irreconcilable differences with Wojo. Which he might.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 10:04:03 AM »
this board has a lot of people wearing blue and gold tinted glasses. If you want to know what those outside of the Marquette basketball community think, see Parrish's article below. We went from 7 to not even ranked in the top 25 +1. Please stop pretending w're better off without Sam and Joey.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2019-20-college-basketball-rankings-transfer-of-hauser-brothers-knocks-top-10-marquette-out-of-top-25-and-1/

Class71

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 10:06:28 AM »

Clearly to the point.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 10:07:15 AM »
this board has a lot of people wearing blue and gold tinted glasses. If you want to know what those outside of the Marquette basketball community think, see Parrish's article below. We went from 7 to not even ranked in the top 25 +1. Please stop pretending w're better off without Sam and Joey.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2019-20-college-basketball-rankings-transfer-of-hauser-brothers-knocks-top-10-marquette-out-of-top-25-and-1/

There is a difference between pretending we're better off, and believing this is the end of the program as we know it. Haven't seen anyone doing the former. Have seen plenty doing the latter.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 10:08:01 AM »
Brendan is probably better defensively.  But overall based on what we saw last year Joey is better and it's not really close.
Look at the last 7 games, the stats between them  are not that much different. Total points-Joe 59, Brendan 45. (in much less minutes)FG%-advantage Brendan, offensive rebounds, advantage Brendan. Defense (not sure how to quantify that, but the eye test shows Brendan)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 10:12:25 AM »
There is a difference between pretending we're better off, and believing this is the end of the program as we know it. Haven't seen anyone doing the former. Have seen plenty doing the latter.

Many on the interwebs are extreme. Many sports fans are extreme. Combine the two ... extreme. Very little room for nuance, lots of "it's one or the other." So it's gotta be Brendan or Joey. It's gotta be Markus or Sam. It's gotta be Wojo or the Hausers. It can't be some of all of the above, because that's not extreme enough.

Of course we are not better off having lost the Hausers, as some have suggested ... just as we would not have been a better team this past season without Markus, as many stated. And of course the program will go on, though Wojo has his work cut out for him (to say the least) to keep us from fading into bolivian again.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 10:17:23 AM »
As it stands today, if I had to choose I'd take Joey.

How much were Brendan's struggles from the field rust?  His upside is undeniable and out of any player he seems like he could take a big leap next season.  Put on some muscle, take 500 jumpers a day, etc.  Maybe I'm just being hopeful because of yesterday was such a blow to the team but it's certainly possible. 

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 10:27:50 AM »
Brendan is fine at the small forward but need a power forward to do some heavy lifting inside, if Wojo can pull that off this late in the season, then they will have
some depth.  It could be another back up center so you could put Theo and Morrow on the court at the same time.  Just need a body for 5 more fouls.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 10:33:28 AM »
Bailey has a much higher ceiling. He's way more athletic, which is something Joey will never be able to catch up to. Joey is much more skilled, but that's something Bailey can improve on.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 11:12:31 AM »
Brendan is fine at the small forward but need a power forward to do some heavy lifting inside, if Wojo can pull that off this late in the season, then they will have
some depth.  It could be another back up center so you could put Theo and Morrow on the court at the same time.  Just need a body for 5 more fouls.

I just don't see any way you can have two guys with no range on the court at the same time for more than a minute or two. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2019, 11:29:00 AM »
I just don't see any way you can have two guys with no range on the court at the same time for more than a minute or two.
We would be better at rebounding and defense. Tell them, if they want to score to go get the offensive rebound.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2019, 11:29:07 AM »
No.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2019, 12:32:01 PM »
We would be better at rebounding and defense. Tell them, if they want to score to go get the offensive rebound.

It's not about them scoring.  It's about making the entire offense much easier to defend.  And that's what would happen if Ed and Theo are on the court together for any significant length of time. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2019, 12:35:38 PM »

Yes, that’s it. The aliens who abducted ZFB last night told him it was so while probing him.

Smh. That’s quite an imagination you have there.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

PVMagic

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2019, 12:38:42 PM »
Both have holes in their game.  Both are freshman (even if Bailey older).  Joey was better in the first half, I think Bailey was trending better in the second.  I think he's a good player, but did he get some benefit of the doubt this year because of his name?