collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Driving playlist  (Read 9197 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Driving playlist
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2019, 10:44:24 PM »
Give Kaleo a go.  They're not Zep, but they're good fun rock.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HC6QJsxRypQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HC6QJsxRypQ</a>

Part of Far Cry 5 video game sound track
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2019, 08:16:40 AM »
This weekend I added Ram Jam - Black Betty and half the albums from Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2019, 08:23:35 AM »
"Feed the hungry people in Africa!" - Bono as he steps off his private plane
you can do both

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2019, 08:29:10 AM »
"Feed the hungry people in Africa!" - Bono as he steps off his private plane

I don't understand this at all.  So a guy who is worth nine figures can't be truly charitable unless he flies coach?

Look if you find him to be insufferable, I get that.  If you don't like his music, that's fine too.  But he seems like a pretty good guy all things considered.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2019, 08:40:53 AM »
Quick and nimble are the right words.  They don't have big HP so it's never a 'beat anyone off the line'.  They also corner on a dime and are surprisingly smooth and glued to the road at 85.  But don't get anywhere near one flake of snow!

I've done 750-900 mile days in ours numerous times.  Hard to believe given the size.

I sort of had the same situation.  Until last month, my fun ride was an '89 corvette convertible.  It doesn't exactly get respect with all the corvette stereo types and that it's straight up 80's with the edgy body and digital dash.  However, despite being low on power, it handles amazingly well even compared to modern sports cars and is a blast to drive on curvy roads.  There's a slight tradeoff in that the miata would be smoother, but the old vette had some serious torque to offset the hard ride.  Still very comfortable on long highway trips (and nearly 30 mpg hwy to boot!).

So if someone wants a car that is fun and doesn't care about trying to look "cool" I think both these cars fit the bill. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2019, 09:24:49 AM »

I don't understand this at all.  So a guy who is worth nine figures can't be truly charitable unless he flies coach?

Look if you find him to be insufferable, I get that.  If you don't like his music, that's fine too.  But he seems like a pretty good guy all things considered.

I lived in Boston when Joshua Tree was on the charts, and none of my Boston-Irish friends would listen to U2 because they are Protestants.
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2019, 09:31:48 AM »

I sort of had the same situation.  Until last month, my fun ride was an '89 corvette convertible.  It doesn't exactly get respect with all the corvette stereo types and that it's straight up 80's with the edgy body and digital dash.  However, despite being low on power, it handles amazingly well even compared to modern sports cars and is a blast to drive on curvy roads.  There's a slight tradeoff in that the miata would be smoother, but the old vette had some serious torque to offset the hard ride.  Still very comfortable on long highway trips (and nearly 30 mpg hwy to boot!).

So if someone wants a car that is fun and doesn't care about trying to look "cool" I think both these cars fit the bill.

We're bringing ours back to Chicago this summer because we still have Illinois plates and it's emissions testing year.  I'll be doing the Million Dollar Highway in about 2 weeks.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2019, 09:38:48 AM »
This weekend I added Ram Jam - Black Betty and half the albums from Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2.

Black Betty might be the greatest song ever written.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2019, 09:49:15 AM »
What about the accordion solos?  The whistling in what sounds like a bathroom?  The flute solo that would put Ian Anderson to shame?

Next time just tell him, “Lend me your ear while I call you a fooooooooooolll.”
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2019, 10:46:25 AM »
No free bird?

Boston- foreplay/longtime

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2019, 11:37:58 AM »
Black Betty might be the greatest song ever written.

Some random hilarious comments on the YouTube video for this song...

“I live in rural Alabama, and I could round up 5 guys who look exactly like this in about 10 minutes tops.”

Producer: “here’s your $5,000 video budget”
Manager at Scarf store: “That will be $4960.oo please.”
Lead singer’s grandma: “for $40 bucks, take the House for the whole week.”

Black Betty at a local Rotary picnic: “Do you have steak or shrimp on the BBQ?”
Grill master: Nooooo Black Betty, it’s Ham ‘n Lamb”

Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2019, 11:57:28 AM »
I'm partial to Driver's Seat by Sniff 'n the Tears
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2019, 12:14:27 PM »
No free bird?

Boston- foreplay/longtime

Nope.  Massively overplayed.
Have some patience, FFS.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2019, 01:54:39 PM »
No free bird?

It's for posers.  I can picture the Hauser's with their dorky haircuts blasting it from their Corolla on their final ride up Wisconsin Avenue.

Most everything off The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars is good for a drive.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2019, 10:22:24 AM »
We're bringing ours back to Chicago this summer because we still have Illinois plates and it's emissions testing year.  I'll be doing the Million Dollar Highway in about 2 weeks.

I miss Silverton and Ouray.

If you've never been to Black Canyon, check it out.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2019, 11:41:18 AM »

I was not familiar with this... seeing pictures of some of those sections, good god I'd be white knuckled near some of those turns with the drop offs.   

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2019, 01:08:25 PM »

If you've never been to Black Canyon, check it out.

Plan on visiting the south rim in the national park.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2019, 01:17:18 PM »

Adjacent to my old stomping grounds.  Winter bus trips over Red Mountain Pass for school sports were...exhilarating.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2019, 02:54:24 PM »
Adjacent to my old stomping grounds.  Winter bus trips over Red Mountain Pass for school sports were...exhilarating.

I'll bet.  Already looking at my long range weather forecast.  High 60s and sunny.  Should be perfect.  And I can always adjust my timing.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2019, 03:57:18 PM »
"Kickstart My Heart" - Motley Crue
"Runnin Down a Dream" - Petty

Although classic rock isn't my go-to genre, I've actually found myself speeding down the road when songs come on the radio more than several times.

Also:

"Strength" - the Alarm
"Blue Highway" - Billy Idol
"Wildflower" - the Cult
"Dim" - dada
"Miserlou" - Dick Dale
"Denise" - Fountain of Wayne
"I'm Not a Number" - Gary Myrick & the Figures
"She's Kerosene" - the Interrupters
"Stone Pony" - the Romantics
"When She Begins" or "Story of My Life" - Social Distortion
"Somebody to Shove - Soul Asylum
"Let it Happen" - Tame Impala
"Got Me Under Pressure - ZZ Top

Give these a listen--I think they fit your criteria.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2019, 04:55:11 PM »
Plan on visiting the south rim in the national park.

Been there before?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2019, 05:32:35 PM »
Been there before?

I have not, at least dating back to 1968 when I 'might' have visited with my parents but I don't think Black Canyon was a national park at the time.  On that trip we absolutely visited Mesa Verde and took the narrow gauge Silverton train.  Did the same with our family in 2001.  Last time in the area I continued east toward Great Sandunes.  Northeast this time.   :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 05:42:09 PM by jsglow »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2019, 06:12:24 PM »
I have not, at least dating back to 1968 when I 'might' have visited with my parents but I don't think Black Canyon was a national park at the time.  On that trip we absolutely visited Mesa Verde and took the narrow gauge Silverton train.  Did the same with our family in 2001.  Last time in the area I continued east toward Great Sandunes.  Northeast this time.   :)

South Rim has lots of short hikes along the road - mostly about 1/4 mile for overlooks. At the end of the road their is a trail to Warner Point which is the best hike. Unless it's real hot, it is a fairly easy walk - maybe 1 1/2 - 2 miles round. But well worth it.

As I'm sure you know, there are a lot of nice rafting spots as you head east or northeast. Water might be a bit cold, but May is the best time for whitewater rafting out there due to the snow melt runoff.

My wife and I used to head out there every other year - just love the area. Let Scoop know how the trip goes.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 06:45:17 PM by Jockey »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2019, 06:19:11 PM »
Still on CD's.... I have about a dozen 'live from the WXRT archives' discs.  Get a handful of those and set out knowing you are going to hear unique live recording for the next 10 hours.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2019, 09:13:43 PM »

South Rim has lots of short hikes along the road - mostly about 1/4 mile for overlooks. At the end of the road their is a trail to Warner Point which is the best hike. Unless it's real hot, it is a fairly easy walk - maybe 1 1/2 - 2 miles round. But well worth it.

As I'm sure you know, there are a lot of nice rafting spots as you head east or northeast. Water might be a bit cold, but May is the best time for whitewater rafting out there due to the snow melt runoff.

My wife and I used to head out there every other year - just love the area. Let Scoop know how the trip goes.

I'll do it.  I probably won't have time to raft as this is more sightseeing on the drive home.  But you never know on a 1/2 day.

feedback