[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Way Too Early 2019/20 Pre-Season Predictions  (Read 71878 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Way Too Early 2019/20 Pre-Season Predictions
« Reply #375 on: July 11, 2019, 11:46:54 AM »
While I get the appeal of X (returning 4 starters and got hot down the stretch last year), top 20 seems too high for them.  Keep in mind that they were still a NIT team that had a 6 game losing streak during the season capped by a 12 point home loss to DePaul. Marshall, Scruggs, Goodin, and Jones are all decent players, but Scruggs was the only one to shoot over 30% from deep (for reference Goodin and Marshall would have been the 6th and 7th best shooters on MU last year behind "worst 2 guard in the conference Sacar", and "not a Beast player Chartouny").  The returning experience should help, but I see them as more of a fringe top 25 team.

Agreed. I see them as more of a top 25-35 type team than a top 25. And while they do bring back four starters, they lose every other rotation player. The three point shooting will be a big question for them. Can Marshall and Goodin improve their sub 30% 3P shooting? Can Scruggs take more shots while keeping his 3P% up? Incoming transfer Jason Carter shot a respectful 34% last season but only has 32 makes in 2 seasons. Bryce Moore could be an answer. He shot 39% and averaged 2 3s a game 2 seasons ago...but is coming off major surgery and is facing a big step up in competition. Then there's all the freshmen.

Lots of unknowns on Xavier....but with so many quality options, I think the chances are that enough of them will be pleasant surprises and lead them to a good season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #376 on: July 11, 2019, 03:52:08 PM »
While I get the appeal of X (returning 4 starters and got hot down the stretch last year), top 20 seems too high for them.  Keep in mind that they were still a NIT team that had a 6 game losing streak during the season capped by a 12 point home loss to DePaul. Marshall, Scruggs, Goodin, and Jones are all decent players, but Scruggs was the only one to shoot over 30% from deep (for reference Goodin and Marshall would have been the 6th and 7th best shooters on MU last year behind "worst 2 guard in the conference Sacar", and "not a Beast player Chartouny").  The returning experience should help, but I see them as more of a fringe top 25 team.

Agreed. I see them as more of a top 25-35 type team than a top 25. And while they do bring back four starters, they lose every other rotation player. The three point shooting will be a big question for them. Can Marshall and Goodin improve their sub 30% 3P shooting? Can Scruggs take more shots while keeping his 3P% up? Incoming transfer Jason Carter shot a respectful 34% last season but only has 32 makes in 2 seasons. Bryce Moore could be an answer. He shot 39% and averaged 2 3s a game 2 seasons ago...but is coming off major surgery and is facing a big step up in competition. Then there's all the freshmen.

Lots of unknowns on Xavier....but with so many quality options, I think the chances are that enough of them will be pleasant surprises and lead them to a good season.
Xaver has done a solid job with Travis Steele in charge. When I went to the Big East semis this past year, of the four teams there, the eye test was that Xavier was very clearly the second best as they were able to compete very well with Nova taking them to overtime. 

The way I look at it,  X has almost all their lineup back. Having a big percentage of production returning is historically a good thing.  The two grad transfers they have coming should be able to replace two the grad transfers who are gone.  Then they have a very nice large freshman class coming in to provide depth. 

I think they will be a team that bounces around the top 22- 25 ,first or second of those also receiving votes type team.  By the end of the season one or two of those freshman should be decent contributors .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #377 on: July 12, 2019, 12:15:33 AM »
Xaver has done a solid job with Travis Steele in charge. When I went to the Big East semis this past year, of the four teams there, the eye test was that Xavier was very clearly the second best as they were able to compete very well with Nova taking them to overtime. 

The way I look at it,  X has almost all their lineup back. Having a big percentage of production returning is historically a good thing.  The two grad transfers they have coming should be able to replace two the grad transfers who are gone.  Then they have a very nice large freshman class coming in to provide depth. 

I think they will be a team that bounces around the top 22- 25 ,first or second of those also receiving votes type team.  By the end of the season one or two of those freshman should be decent contributors .

Glad to see you agree with DJO and I. 20 is too high and they'll probably end up in other's recieving votes category.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #378 on: July 14, 2019, 03:18:10 PM »
I was not happy with the Wojo hire. Mainly, because I could not stand him as a player. He also was stiff compared to Buzz. I really enjoy crazy coaches like Al and Buzz. I think Wojo is less stiff now.

A five year record of 97-69 is under performing my expectations for an MU coach. He has to do better than that the next 5 years and I think he will.
I would not of agreed with firing him now. Wojo has been successful even though it was not as successful as I would of liked. There is no guarantee that a new coach would do as good as Wojo has.

Well done. I especially appreciate any fan who didn't want a particular hire but is one board with our coach. Every time I hear underperformed - I go back to the record between Al and Buzz - what was it one final four and one other sweet 16 in three decades? I believe we are on course for a.good run, and certainly better than most of our history.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #379 on: July 14, 2019, 07:50:54 PM »
Well done. I especially appreciate any fan who didn't want a particular hire but is one board with our coach. Every time I hear underperformed - I go back to the record between Al and Buzz - what was it one final four and one other sweet 16 in three decades? I believe we are on course for a.good run, and certainly better than most of our history.

Raymonds got us a Sweet 16 but yeah pretty rough.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #380 on: July 22, 2019, 12:28:36 PM »

I was at a Xavier reception for incoming Connecticut Freshman.  My kid met ZAK SWETYE at the reception who is from Darien.  I'm guessing he's the Rob Frozena of Xavier.

feedback