'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Way Too Early 2019/20 Pre-Season Predictions  (Read 72231 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Way Too Early 2019/20 Pre-Season Predictions
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 08:35:52 PM »
No top 100 recruits, but Elliott and McEwen will certainly add size, depth and shore up a weakness.   Good health and normal progress and I think that is fairly close.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 08:39:26 PM »
No top 100 recruits, but Elliott and McEwen will certainly add size, depth and shore up a weakness.   Good health and normal progress and I think that is fairly close.

I'd be very surprised if Torrance isn't here next year as well.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 08:42:28 PM »
I'd be very surprised if Torrance isn't here next year as well.
I honestly think that depends on whether Markus returns.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 11:49:43 PM »

I think it may. But on the other hand playing a role on a top 15 team, even a backup role, is probably more beneficial to his development than another year in high school.

I'm mostly just reading tea leaves. Last week his Twitter bio stated his high school and "Marquette 2020 commit."

He removed 2020 and his high school. And in an interview a month or so ago he referred to playing his last game in high school.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 06:36:43 AM »
Yup. We will be really, really, really good next year. Wash, rinse, repeat. There is always next year. Gives us time to thoroughly forget/spin this season's colossal meltdown.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 06:52:34 AM »
Next season will be truly 'report card' year for Wojo, assuming there are no critical injuries.  He needs to succeed twice: once during the November signing period and then on the court both during the regular season and to a certain extent in the NCAA.  By next year this time, we'll have a full body of work.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 07:05:22 AM »
Next season will be truly 'report card' year for Wojo, assuming there are no critical injuries.  He needs to succeed twice: once during the November signing period and then on the court both during the regular season and to a certain extent in the NCAA.  By next year this time, we'll have a full body of work.

Barring an extreme result in either direction, I really don't think it will be. If Howard comes back and we miss the tournament, that's a referendum moment. If we win the league & go to a Final Four, that's also a referendum moment. Otherwise, I feel like anything from 2nd-6th in league, any NCAA finish that ends the first or second weekend, we'll know little more than we do now other than Wojo can sustain what he's already created.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 07:06:36 AM »
Barring an extreme result in either direction, I really don't think it will be. If Howard comes back and we miss the tournament, that's a referendum moment. If we win the league & go to a Final Four, that's also a referendum moment. Otherwise, I feel like anything from 2nd-6th in league, any NCAA finish that ends the first or second weekend, we'll know little more than we do now other than Wojo can sustain what he's already created.

I'd say the lower realm of acceptable Big East finishes is closer to third vs sixth.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 07:11:07 AM »
Yup. We will be really, really, really good next year. Wash, rinse, repeat. There is always next year. Gives us time to thoroughly forget/spin this season's colossal meltdown.

Hey no one is asking you to move on. If you have the desire to feel miserable and sulk because that is beneficial for you or you believe it will get Wojo fired faster be our guest...you can even create (another) thread about it!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 07:12:01 AM »

I'm not talking about a 'fire him or not scenario'.  What I'm saying is that we'll have a fairly complete portrait on who and what Wojo is as a coach.  'He is who we thought he is' kind of stuff.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 07:14:44 AM »
I'd say the lower realm of acceptable Big East finishes is closer to third vs sixth.

I expect this will be a 6-7 bid league next year. If we get into the tournament, Wojo is probably safe. Not on great footing, but safe. It will be enough to keep him going, but not enough to silence critics.

And barring some extremely positive outlier results (Conference champs, 1/2 Seed, Final Four), it seems unlikely critics will be silenced.

It is an important year. His two most productive recruits to date will be seniors, he will have an extremely experienced team that has tasted success, & 2020 is a critical recruiting class not only because of the seniors we lose but the quality of recruits we are pursuing. If we end up 4th in the league, go to the Big East semis, get a 7-seed & win one game, and end up with a recruiting class of two 4-stars, one 3-star, and a sit-out transfer, would that change anything from where we stand right now? It wouldn't be enough to convince the Wojo supporters he was the long-term answer and wouldn't be enough to (further) convince the detractors that he needs to go now.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 07:20:10 AM »
I expect this will be a 6-7 bid league next year. If we get into the tournament, Wojo is probably safe. Not on great footing, but safe. It will be enough to keep him going, but not enough to silence critics.

And barring some extremely positive outlier results (Conference champs, 1/2 Seed, Final Four), it seems unlikely critics will be silenced.

It is an important year. His two most productive recruits to date will be seniors, he will have an extremely experienced team that has tasted success, & 2020 is a critical recruiting class not only because of the seniors we lose but the quality of recruits we are pursuing. If we end up 4th in the league, go to the Big East semis, get a 7-seed & win one game, and end up with a recruiting class of two 4-stars, one 3-star, and a sit-out transfer, would that change anything from where we stand right now? It wouldn't be enough to convince the Wojo supporters he was the long-term answer and wouldn't be enough to (further) convince the detractors that he needs to go now.

I think a 7 seed next year and a first round exit will have quite a few people hopping off of the Wojo-train.  If the 2020 recruiting class also fails to include a top 50 player or two, even worse.

I agree the administration is still unlikely to move on in this scenario and it also represents the worst case option assuming health, etc.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 07:25:58 AM »
I assume Marquette makes the tournament.  I also assume they do not progress beyond the second round.  Finally, I assume there is not enough for critics of Wojo or supporters of Wojo to agree upon at the end of the season.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 07:27:23 AM »
I think a 7 seed next year and a first round exit will have quite a few people hopping off of the Wojo-train.  If the 2020 recruiting class also fails to include a top 50 player or two, even worse.

I agree the administration is still unlikely to move on in this scenario and it also represents the worst case option assuming health, etc.

But the money will start to dry up a little.  They'll notice that.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 08:24:41 AM »
I think the most likely scenario next year is top 4 finish in conference, 5-7 seed in the Tournament, and another first or second round exit.  Not enough to silence Wojo’s critics, but just enough for Wojo’s supporters to say that we’re trending upward and have improved every year.

When Coaching Carousel 2020 rolls around, Wojo will continue to have zero interest from other high majors with job openings.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 09:01:23 AM »
I think the most likely scenario next year is top 4 finish in conference, 5-7 seed in the Tournament, and another first or second round exit.  Not enough to silence Wojo’s critics, but just enough for Wojo’s supporters to say that we’re trending upward and have improved every year.

When Coaching Carousel 2020 rolls around, Wojo will continue to have zero interest from other high majors with job openings.

Define “high major.”
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 09:03:57 AM »

That would be an extreme disappointment and in no way would indicate an upward trend.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 09:06:22 AM »
Bart's Rankings for 2020:

http://barttorvik.com/trankpre.php

#11, First in the Big East

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 09:09:11 AM »

Honestly, where the hell do u think Marcus is gonna go?  He is no where near a pro.  Prolly not even a D leaguer, how many kids leave cuz its their life long dream to play in a lower level European league.  He is a poor mans Carsen Edwards n Edwards is a late second rounder.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 09:18:22 AM »
Define “high major.”

To rephrase or be more specific, he’ll once again have zero offers from any school that’s equal to or “better” than Marquette.

Maybe he could get the job at Oregon State, Cal, or Rutgers, but that’s not exactly a feather in his cap.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 09:33:38 AM »
E8 or bust!!!!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 09:38:42 AM »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2019, 09:43:15 AM »
I expect this will be a 6-7 bid league next year.

Has anyone out there analyzed what the non-conference schedules are going to look like for the other 9 BE teams?  Because how many bids a conference gets is largely decided before Jan 1, and scheduling is key. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.