Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Way Too Early 2019/20 Pre-Season Predictions  (Read 72193 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Way Too Early 2019/20 Pre-Season Predictions
« Reply #350 on: June 02, 2019, 09:20:10 PM »
And why do you and others always like to use that as your "fallback" with him, to justify his "success" to this point. If past years have nothing to do with Wojo's starting point, then why does his starting point have anything to do with now?? That was 6 years ago...he has had 1 and a half recruiting cycles since. At some point you have to let go of "look at what he started with". That's gone, it's irrelevant. You spew this utter nonsense about how you think big, yet here you are willingly accepting his mediocre results to this point because you're "patient". BS, absolute total crock of you know what. It's small time thinking TAMU, think bigger! Thinking big should be not wanting your alma mater following the same path as everyone else shouldn't it?? Thinking big would wanting them/expecting them to be the exception, not the norm, right?? That's thinking BIG TIME.

Tell me TAMU, 10 years from now if Wojo hasn't really moved the program forward from where it is now, are you still going to be spewing your "patience" nonsense?? I have absolutely zero doubt you will be.

Did you write your check yet?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #351 on: June 02, 2019, 09:25:15 PM »
That was 6 years ago...6...are you going to continue to use that as your fallback?? Not one single player that Wojo inherited still plays for MU. Not a single one. Hard to believe isn't it?? As i was told...move on. This isn't Wojo's first year anymore, he's had his own recruiting classes since...FULL recruiting classes. And yet, he hasn't won a single NCAA game(oh yeah, crapshoot, I forgot), hasn't won a conference title, a BE tourney title, nothing of consequence to this point. I know, that's on Buzz for what Wojo inherited 6 years ago. Next year will be on Buzz, and the year after, and the year after..It will always be because what Wojo inherited. I get it.

YOU are the one that keeps bringing up the early years, you have been shown to be out of your element by many of us.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #352 on: June 02, 2019, 09:31:24 PM »
YOU are the one that keeps bringing up the early years, you have been shown to be out of your element by many of us.

Whatever, anytime anyone mentions Wojo and doesn't support him you play the "look what Buzz left him with" card. You will still be doing that, 5 years from now, even though it will be just as irrelevant than as it is now.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #353 on: June 02, 2019, 09:34:53 PM »
Did you write your check yet?

As I have stated, since you are obviously not good at following along, or you are just slow..when/if the administration, decides they want to share my vision or something similar, I will absolutely help them out. 100% fact. Any justification why Lovell turned down(or kept putting off until he pulled out) a donor that was willing to write the entire check for MU's version of the "coal lodge"?? Does that sound like an administration that will ever have the vision necessary??

What's DePaul looking like next year??

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #354 on: June 02, 2019, 09:36:12 PM »
Whatever, anytime anyone mentions Wojo and doesn't support him you play the "look what Buzz left him with" card. You will still be doing that, 5 years from now, even though it will be just as irrelevant than as it is now.

Nope, only if someone like you makes a ridiculous comparison of how long it took or why did Buzz do well year one vs Wojo...gee, could to be the rosters?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #355 on: June 02, 2019, 09:43:22 PM »
As I have stated, since you are obviously not good at following along, or you are just slow..when/if the administration, decides they want to share my vision or something similar, I will absolutely help them out. 100% fact. Any justification why Lovell turned down(or kept putting off until he pulled out) a donor that was willing to write the entire check for MU's version of the "coal lodge"?? Does that sound like an administration that will ever have the vision necessary??

Hmm, the last time we had our own version of the coal lodge under previous coach, what happened?  I’m sure that was part of the thinking and analysis if your story is even true.  Marquette preaches community and nothing screams community by isolating the basketball team away from most other students....you know like some of the dirtier programs in the country do.  Great idea.

Now, a few minutes ago you said I was crafty because I say something that cannot be proven right or wrong.   Hmm, can you prove what you just stated is true, that there was ever a donor that offered such money let alone for the goal which you derived?  If you cannot, how are you any different than the crafty charge you made earlier?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #356 on: June 02, 2019, 09:49:22 PM »

Have you reached out to the admin to discuss your vision?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #357 on: June 02, 2019, 10:11:46 PM »
That was 6 years ago...6...are you going to continue to use that as your fallback?? Not one single player that Wojo inherited still plays for MU. Not a single one. Hard to believe isn't it?? As i was told...move on. This isn't Wojo's first year anymore, he's had his own recruiting classes since...FULL recruiting classes. And yet, he hasn't won a single NCAA game(oh yeah, crapshoot, I forgot), hasn't won a conference title, a BE tourney title, nothing of consequence to this point. I know, that's on Buzz for what Wojo inherited 6 years ago. Next year will be on Buzz, and the year after, and the year after..It will always be because what Wojo inherited. I get it.

I don't need a fallback. The past three seasons have been successful. Not as an end goal but as a first step. The starting point explains the need for a two year rebuild. Try to keep up Guru.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #358 on: June 02, 2019, 10:55:25 PM »
I don't need a fallback. The past three seasons have been successful. Not as an end goal but as a first step. The starting point explains the need for a two year rebuild. Try to keep up Guru.

The NEED for a rebuild? So now we are going to use that crutch too? As I have said MANY times..and it HAS been proven MANY times(you cite similar with your patience refrain) programs do NOT automatically have to have rebuilds when a new Coach is brought in. It all depends on who the hire is.

Go check Alabama and what Nate Oates has done..New coach..new school..tell me if you think he's "rebuilding". They are going to be better than they were last year..but yet..according to you..rebuilds are almost a given when a new coach takes over..or..maybe, just maybe rebuilds occur based on who the coach is that's hired? Nah..can't be, right?

Try to keep up TAMU!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #359 on: June 02, 2019, 11:05:10 PM »
Hmm, the last time we had our own version of the coal lodge under previous coach, what happened?  I’m sure that was part of the thinking and analysis if your story is even true.  Marquette preaches community and nothing screams community by isolating the basketball team away from most other students....you know like some of the dirtier programs in the country do.  Great idea.

Now, a few minutes ago you said I was crafty because I say something that cannot be proven right or wrong.   Hmm, can you prove what you just stated is true, that there was ever a donor that offered such money let alone for the goal which you derived?  If you cannot, how are you any different than the crafty charge you made earlier?

That wasn't anywhere close to a "coal" lodge..if you wanna know what one is..go look it up..it's what Kentucky has..and you will also see that by rule..a certain % of "normal" students have to occupy it as well.

So not only did Lovell ruin a chance to give the basketball program an advantage few others in the country have, but he also torpedoed a chance for some normal MU students to have an opportunity to have a great experience as well. And alienated the donor on top of that..well played Dr Lovell!

As far as my info goes..i have no problem sharing that with you..none whatsoever..in exchange for your source that told you a rape "definitely" occurred. That seems reasonable, agreed?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #360 on: June 02, 2019, 11:18:32 PM »
The NEED for a rebuild? So now we are going to use that crutch too? As I have said MANY times..and it HAS been proven MANY times(you cite similar with your patience refrain) programs do NOT automatically have to have rebuilds when a new Coach is brought in. It all depends on who the hire is.

Go check Alabama and what Nate Oates has done..New coach..new school..tell me if you think he's "rebuilding". They are going to be better than they were last year..but yet..according to you..rebuilds are almost a given when a new coach takes over..or..maybe, just maybe rebuilds occur based on who the coach is that's hired? Nah..can't be, right?

Try to keep up TAMU!

Alabama has different academic qualifications than MU, but I am sure you knew that.

If I buy you a XXL Bama sweatshirt to start cheering for them, will you be gone?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #361 on: June 02, 2019, 11:29:07 PM »
That wasn't anywhere close to a "coal" lodge..if you wanna know what one is..go look it up..it's what Kentucky has..and you will also see that by rule..a certain % of "normal" students have to occupy it as well.

So not only did Lovell ruin a chance to give the basketball program an advantage few others in the country have, but he also torpedoed a chance for some normal MU students to have an opportunity to have a great experience as well. And alienated the donor on top of that..well played Dr Lovell!

As far as my info goes..i have no problem sharing that with you..none whatsoever..in exchange for your source that told you a rape "definitely" occurred. That seems reasonable, agreed?

Exactly, and Buzz’s boys still screwed it up.  I know exactly what is, KU where I worked and attended grad school, had one and now has one of the newer ones in the country with the latest version. Great for KU, not so great for a school like MU and others.  Tends to segregate athletes from students and allows way too much privilege and crap to go on, often abused by the athletes.  This is why the NCAA said enough and forced these residences to be at least 51% regular students instead of the good old days like Barry Switzer and his ilk were doing to corrupt these guys. Do you pine for those gold old days Guru?

Your credentials to run a university are what exactly?  You have never worked for one, don’t know the culture, etc.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 11:32:44 PM by Cheeks »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #362 on: June 02, 2019, 11:34:15 PM »

Try to keep up TAMU!

Have I ever said that programs have to automatically rebuild when a new coach is hired? I'll save you the time, I haven't. I said Marquette needed a rebuild when Buzz left which is a fact.

Name a team that...

missed the NIT
lost 6/7 of its top players in minutes played
lost its coach
lost all but one player in its incoming recruiting class

...that didn't need a rebuild. Bonus points if you can find an example where the top returning player in minutes played is as bad as Derrick Wilson. Until you can successfully give an example, then you are wrong about not needing a rebuild. And even if you find one (which I doubt you can), it will be one compared to hundreds that did need to rebuild.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 11:40:46 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #363 on: June 02, 2019, 11:50:40 PM »

I'm pretty sure you are conflating stories. It was Pilarz who refused the dorm. It was briefly discussed as a possibility in 2014 when Wojo came on board but I've seen no evidence it was refused in the last 5 years.

I provided the phone numbers. Call Lovell & Scholl. Tell them you have a $10,000,000 donation ready to go and want to discuss the possibility of an athletic dorm. I expect you will at least be able to get a meeting if you can prove you have that level of commitment.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #364 on: June 03, 2019, 05:44:46 AM »
“My Marquette Vision”
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #365 on: June 03, 2019, 07:05:36 AM »

Try to keep up TAMU!

1. You would have been pissed if we had hired Oats. Not an established coach with a proven high-major record.

2. Sorry, but TAMU's response pretty much crushed you again, guru. Facts still matter.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #366 on: June 03, 2019, 07:23:45 AM »

I'm glad he turned down that donor if the story is true.  Primary athletic dorms aren't a good thing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #367 on: June 03, 2019, 09:52:48 AM »

I'm glad he turned down that donor if the story is true.  Primary athletic dorms aren't a good thing.

::)

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #368 on: June 03, 2019, 10:25:45 AM »
I was not happy with the Wojo hire. Mainly, because I could not stand him as a player. He also was stiff compared to Buzz. I really enjoy crazy coaches like Al and Buzz. I think Wojo is less stiff now.

A five year record of 97-69 is under performing my expectations for an MU coach. He has to do better than that the next 5 years and I think he will.
I would not of agreed with firing him now. Wojo has been successful even though it was not as successful as I would of liked. There is no guarantee that a new coach would do as good as Wojo has.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #369 on: June 03, 2019, 08:17:17 PM »
A five year record of 97-69 is under performing my expectations for an MU coach. He has to do better than that the next 5 years and I think he will.

I would not of agreed with firing him now. Wojo has been successful even though it was not as successful as I would of liked. There is no guarantee that a new coach would do as good as Wojo has.

Well said, bilsu.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #370 on: June 07, 2019, 11:40:53 AM »
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26902770/kansas-michigan-way-too-early-top-25-2019-20

Another way too early top 25 and another #23 ranking for MU (same as Andy Katz).

Notables:
#8 Villanova
#9 Maryland (potential Orlando opponent)
#13 Seton Hall
#20 Xavier
#23 Marquette
#25 USC (potential Orlando opponent)
Next in Line: Creighton
Next in Line: Georgetown
Next in Line: Davidson (potential Orlando opponent)

No mention of Providence, Butler, St. John's, Depaul, Kansas State, Texas A&M, or Wisconsin.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #371 on: June 07, 2019, 03:48:06 PM »
Can't believe Nova would be ranked that high without the great Jahvon Quinerly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #372 on: June 08, 2019, 11:57:52 AM »
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26902770/kansas-michigan-way-too-early-top-25-2019-20

Another way too early top 25 and another #23 ranking for MU (same as Andy Katz).

Notables:
#8 Villanova
#9 Maryland (potential Orlando opponent)
#13 Seton Hall
#20 Xavier
#23 Marquette
#25 USC (potential Orlando opponent)
Next in Line: Creighton
Next in Line: Georgetown
Next in Line: Davidson (potential Orlando opponent)

No mention of Providence, Butler, St. John's, Depaul, Kansas State, Texas A&M, or Wisconsin.

Or Purdue

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #373 on: July 11, 2019, 11:01:25 AM »
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27154359/florida-makes-big-move-way-too-early-top-25-2019-20

ESPN updated their way too early top 25 again. Despite no additions to our roster, we moved up 2 spots due to "a more careful look at the roster." Which I think is the perfect way to say that. I think a lot of people reacted right away after Hausergate and assumed we were going to suck. But once you calm down and actually look at the roster, we should be really good again next season. I actually think we are a little better than #21. Think we end up somewhere between #10 and #20.

Notables:
#9 Villanova
#10 Maryland
#14 Seton Hall (also mentions that grad transfer Shakur Juiston has them on his list)
#20 Xavier
#21 Marquette
#25 USC
Next in Line: Harvard

Also interesting is that all three of the teams that dropped out of the rankings are potential opponents: Creighton, Georgetown, and Davidson.
TAMU

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #374 on: July 11, 2019, 11:19:03 AM »
While I get the appeal of X (returning 4 starters and got hot down the stretch last year), top 20 seems too high for them.  Keep in mind that they were still a NIT team that had a 6 game losing streak during the season capped by a 12 point home loss to DePaul. Marshall, Scruggs, Goodin, and Jones are all decent players, but Scruggs was the only one to shoot over 30% from deep (for reference Goodin and Marshall would have been the 6th and 7th best shooters on MU last year behind "worst 2 guard in the conference Sacar", and "not a Beast player Chartouny").  The returning experience should help, but I see them as more of a fringe top 25 team.

feedback