'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Way Too Early 2019/20 Pre-Season Predictions  (Read 72185 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Way Too Early 2019/20 Pre-Season Predictions
« Reply #225 on: May 31, 2019, 04:49:15 PM »
How do you define better next year? I think the team will be better, but that does not mean we win 24 games.

The purpose of the regular season and Big East tournament is to earn an NCAA bid. The NCAA tournament decides how good your season is.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #226 on: May 31, 2019, 05:46:52 PM »
How do you define better next year? I think the team will be better, but that does not mean we win 24 games.

The purpose of the regular season and Big East tournament is to earn an NCAA bid. The NCAA tournament decides how good your season is.
We understand. And the blowout of MU in their first game should definitely decide that the season was a disaster.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #227 on: May 31, 2019, 06:30:08 PM »

I disagree. For me, the regular season/conference tournament decides your grade for the season. The NCAA tournament can drop you a half letter grade for an upset loss in the first round or give you extra credit for advancing.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #228 on: May 31, 2019, 07:08:03 PM »
I disagree. For me, the regular season/conference tournament decides your grade for the season. The NCAA tournament can drop you a half letter grade for an upset loss in the first round or give you extra credit for advancing.

Why?? You should know...right or wrong, you are judged by how you do in the tournament..So if you decide that after the regular season/BET MU has earned an A...if they made the Final Four, they would stay at an A?? I'm sorry TAMU but I can't envision a scenario where any regular season/BET record, would trump a sweet 16 or further run. If someone goes to the Sweet 16(or deeper) in a given year, what are people going to remember?? That that school finished 25-10(and finished 3rd in their conf  and made the finals of their conf tournament, or they went to the sweet 16??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #229 on: May 31, 2019, 07:21:03 PM »
Why?? You should know...right or wrong, you are judged by how you do in the tournament..So if you decide that after the regular season/BET MU has earned an A...if they made the Final Four, they would stay at an A?? I'm sorry TAMU but I can't envision a scenario where any regular season/BET record, would trump a sweet 16 or further run. If someone goes to the Sweet 16(or deeper) in a given year, what are people going to remember?? That that school finished 25-10(and finished 3rd in their conf  and made the finals of their conf tournament, or they went to the sweet 16??

Can you name the sweet 16 teams from three, four, five years ago? Maybe the odd elite 8 team but really unless you get to the sweet 16 year in year out nobody's going to remember it. I'd rather be like Xavier the year they had 1 seed than have a quick sweet 16 randomly.

31-3, Conference Tournament champs, 1st round
22-15, T-9th in conference, Sweet 16.

Which is the season you'd prefer?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 07:27:24 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #230 on: May 31, 2019, 07:23:15 PM »
I tend to value tournament success very highly.

Then again ...

Did Virginia go from an F- in 2017-18 to an A+ in 2018-19?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #231 on: May 31, 2019, 07:44:47 PM »
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-05-30/college-basketball-rankings-andy-katzs-power-36-teams-right?fbclid=IwAR3EZiPDgs29c9dqZIteM8GTXFrNgY6QLrOqbAl2YPQVe7pkeUwZVrxqxlU

Andy Katz LOVES the Big East

7. Seton Hall
14. Villanova
15. Xavier
20. Georgetown
23. Marquette
30. Providence
36. Creighton

Half the conference in the top 25, 70% in the top 36. Butler, Depaul, and St. John's not on his "in the mix" list.

Some of his picks (not just the Big East ones) don't make a ton of sense to me but this would be a pretty solid result for the conference.

For those of us who have moved on from the Hauser incident, this goes to show how the program has made some positive steps.  After losing two starters who were going to be major contributors, most people have MU in the 20-35 range for next year.  A Positive sign that can be built upon.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #232 on: May 31, 2019, 07:47:03 PM »

If MU went 20-12 next season, 10-8 in the BE, made the dance as a 11 seed and made the Elite 8, I am sure you would be bitching the whole time about how this program is a disgrace, that is spends too much money to only win 20 games, that Wojo is awful blah blah blah blah blah.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #233 on: May 31, 2019, 08:00:52 PM »
If MU went 20-12 next season, 10-8 in the BE, made the dance as a 11 seed and made the Elite 8, I am sure you would be bitching the whole time about how this program is a disgrace, that is spends too much money to only win 20 games, that Wojo is awful blah blah blah blah blah.

He would. There's no consistency in what he's saying now. Here's some of Guru's hits from the 2010-11 season:

An extremely passionate one thank you very much! Perhaps you are satisfied with mediocrity. I frankly am not. I want MU to be one of those perennial NCAA teams. Uw has been, no damn reason MU can't be either. I'm not on the fire buzz bandwagon, but something wasn't right with this team this year, and he didn't seemingly do anything to try to fix it either. Everyone is responsible for this craptacular season.

EXACTLY!!! I don't get that people try to use that excuse with everything...."well every team struggles on the road", or..."even the best teams lose at home sometimes, and now this one??

What people fail to realize is I personally(and I am sure many others don't either) could care less what other teams do. I care about what Marquette does. I hold them to higher standards than I do anyone else. So just because Nova and UCONN finished 9-9, does NOT excuse MU finishing 9-9 IMO.

Those "other" two 9-9 teams are also going ot be playing in the NCAAs next weekend. MU likely won't be.

If MU can't/doesn't beat SJU at home, they don't deserve to be dancing anyway. Simple as that.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #234 on: May 31, 2019, 08:11:21 PM »

Small time thinking. Who cares about a Sweet 16 run? I want National Championships. You get there by consistently earning high seeds. You do that during the regular season.

You may enjoy a Sweet 16 run. But by the following year 99% of non-Marquette fans won't remember they made it. People remember Final Fours and National Championships. Less than that and no one cares.
TAMU

muguru

• All American
« Reply #235 on: May 31, 2019, 08:17:15 PM »

You cannot be serious?? Bitch about an elite 8 appearance?? Just stop...I know you want to attack me any chance you can get, but even with this, you make yourself look like a fool.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #236 on: May 31, 2019, 08:20:34 PM »
Small time thinking. Who cares about a Sweet 16 run? I want National Championships. You get there by consistently earning high seeds. You do that during the regular season.

You may enjoy a Sweet 16 run. But by the following year 99% of non-Marquette fans won't remember they made it. People remember Final Fours and National Championships. Less than that and no one cares.

Well yeah, I want a National Championships too. But regular season does NOTHING to guarantee that. But you know what does?? Winning 6 games in March in the NCAA's. That's the ONLY thing that guarantees a National championship. Gonzaga has great regular seasons every year, but they haven't won a Natty...what does that get them??

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #237 on: May 31, 2019, 08:26:59 PM »
Gonzaga has great regular seasons every year, but they haven't won a Natty...what does that get them??

One more national championship appearance than we have had in the past 41 years.

Stop the small time thinking guru, it doesn't suit you.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #238 on: May 31, 2019, 08:30:59 PM »
Small time thinking. Who cares about a Sweet 16 run? I want National Championships.

This. A Sweet 16 or Elite 8 might be fun, but it's meaningless. I'd take a Big East Tourney title over either of those. Final Fours and National Titles are the only things in the NCAA Tournament with any permanence.

Any less than that...frankly there's not much difference between losing the first day or second weekend to me.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jdbied

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #239 on: May 31, 2019, 08:34:44 PM »
Well yeah, I want a National Championships too. But regular season does NOTHING to guarantee that. But you know what does?? Winning 6 games in March in the NCAA's. That's the ONLY thing that guarantees a National championship. Gonzaga has great regular seasons every year, but they haven't won a Natty...what does that get them??

muguru

• All American
« Reply #240 on: May 31, 2019, 08:35:43 PM »
One more national championship appearance than we have had in the past 41 years.

Stop the small time thinking guru, it doesn't suit you.

Me, small time thinking?? Hardly! How many times have i said I want this program to be elite?? The regular season is what gets you into the tournament..winning 6 games in the tournament is what gets you a National Championship. You can do that as a 1 seed, a 4 seed, or whatever seed. Regular season success is NO guarantee of post season success, regardless of what seed you earn. You seem to think by consistently getting high seeds yo eventually "break through" and win the Natty, it doesn't work that way, again look at Gonzaga. I don't care how you win a National championship..I don't care if MU does it as a 9 seed...just win it.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #241 on: May 31, 2019, 08:39:12 PM »
This. A Sweet 16 or Elite 8 might be fun, but it's meaningless. I'd take a Big East Tourney title over either of those. Final Fours and National Titles are the only things in the NCAA Tournament with any permanence.

Any less than that...frankly there's not much difference between losing the first day or second weekend to me.

Well yeah, as i said, I want national Champonships too, but my point to TAMU was it doesn't matter how good your regular season is, it doesn't guarantee a Natty...the only thing that does is winning 6 games in the post season. And right now at this point for MU, sadly enough, I'd just take a tourney win.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #242 on: May 31, 2019, 08:41:29 PM »
Well yeah, as i said, I want national Champonships too, but my point to TAMU was it doesn't matter how good your regular season is, it doesn't guarantee a Natty...the only thing that does is winning 6 games in the post season. And right now at this point for MU, sadly enough, I'd just take a tourney win.

I wouldn't. Honestly, if Marquette went 6-10 in the tournament in the next 11 years, I'd be fine with that, provided they made the tourney every year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #243 on: May 31, 2019, 09:31:43 PM »
Me, small time thinking?? Hardly! How many times have i said I want this program to be elite?? The regular season is what gets you into the tournament..winning 6 games in the tournament is what gets you a National Championship. You can do that as a 1 seed, a 4 seed, or whatever seed. Regular season success is NO guarantee of post season success, regardless of what seed you earn. You seem to think by consistently getting high seeds yo eventually "break through" and win the Natty, it doesn't work that way, again look at Gonzaga. I don't care how you win a National championship..I don't care if MU does it as a 9 seed...just win it.

Since the far majority of national champions have come from a high seed, regular season success does correlate to winning in the tourney.

Math isn't on your side, it would seem.

Logic.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #244 on: May 31, 2019, 09:36:50 PM »
I have a hard time seeing Xavier or Georgetown being better than Marquette.
Xavier was playing very well at the end of the season. When I saw them at the Big East tournament semifinal they looked very strong against Villanova. They have all their core players back and have replaced the grad transfers with a new set of grad transfers. Plus a strong incoming class. A lot of good stuff going on at X.

Georgetown  has a quality transfer big man coming on line from NC State. Although at this juncture, I still think MU is a better team.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #245 on: May 31, 2019, 09:41:40 PM »
Simple question. What was more successful in your mind? Last year's 24-10 or Buzz's 22-15 year.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #246 on: May 31, 2019, 10:02:52 PM »
Simple question. What was more successful in your mind? Last year's 24-10 or Buzz's 22-15 year.

I'd rather have a conference championship than a sweet 16

muguru

• All American
« Reply #247 on: May 31, 2019, 10:06:03 PM »
Since the far majority of national champions have come from a high seed, regular season success does correlate to winning in the tourney.

Math isn't on your side, it would seem.

Logic.

It does?? Wonder what Gonzaga would say about that?? And a great regular season is NOT a guarantee of post season success, point being, you can have 10-12 GREAT regular seasons in a row, but it doesn't guarantee you will cut down the nets, now does it??

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #248 on: May 31, 2019, 10:07:26 PM »
Me, small time thinking?? Hardly! How many times have i said I want this program to be elite??

You can say it all you want, but your posts scream small time.

How many 9 seeds or lower have won the national championship in the past 34 years? I'll give you a hint, it rhymes with hero.

So your point is the only thing that guarantees a national champion is winning the national championship? Groundbreaking logic there.

Only 4 National Champions had a seed lower than 3 in the past 34 years. That's a pretty strong correlation. Best path to success is to get as many of those top 3 seeds as possible.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #249 on: May 31, 2019, 10:10:07 PM »

Easy, last year.
TAMU

feedback