Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz -Is he going to Texas A & M  (Read 28351 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Buzz -Is he going to Texas A & M
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2019, 07:18:02 PM »
$350 of the $3.5 million raised in 7 days...

They actually have put out donation jars at the local Sunoco's.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2019, 07:24:28 PM »
Towel

You truly lack respect for others. Not exactly sure why you feel the need to attack on every topic.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2019, 07:40:30 PM »
Dick Strong helped MU get where it is right now. He loved Crean and Buzz. He was less visible and quit going to games when his wife had some health problems but also after the Wojo hiring. He still has 8 floor seats but let’s others use them. He was pissed in the way Wojo was hired as he wanted MU to hire Ben Howland. Lovell hired Wojo when Strong was in Europe on business. Prior to that, he tried to get Tony Bennett and actually filed to Pullman trying to convince him to go to MU. Since LSU was open and Bennett’s wife was from that area, he wanted to see if he could get LSU. Shaka was offered and he told Rivers he accepted. So Strong heads to Europe, Shaka backs out and Lovell interviews Wojo. Wojo supposedly gave Lovell 24 hours.  Lovell moved ahead without speaking to Strong. Strong was rightly pissed. I hear Bennett called MU as soon as LSU told him no but it was too late. I don’t think anyone knows Strong’s giving level, if any. He always donated anonymously. His legal issues cost him some money but he is still a billionaire. All Eliot Spitzer did was take some charitable contributions away from him since it would never affect his life style or several generations thereafter.  One of Dick Strong’ s best days in his life had to be the day the Spitzer prostitution thing broke. I hope he is still supporting MU behind the scenes—he might be doing that but we will never know.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2019, 07:43:10 PM »
Gato

100% spot on account of events. There is not one word that I could dispute.

One addition/confirmation Tony Bennett did contact MU about the job and it was too late. Dick Strong swung for the fences and I respected that big time.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 07:52:38 PM by Goose »

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2019, 07:47:53 PM »
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2019, 07:55:05 PM »
Dick Strong helped MU get where it is right now. He loved Crean and Buzz. He was less visible and quit going to games when his wife had some health problems but also after the Wojo hiring. He still has 8 floor seats but let’s others use them. He was pissed in the way Wojo was hired as he wanted MU to hire Ben Howland. Lovell hired Wojo when Strong was in Europe on business. Prior to that, he tried to get Tony Bennett and actually filed to Pullman trying to convince him to go to MU. Since LSU was open and Bennett’s wife was from that area, he wanted to see if he could get LSU. Shaka was offered and he told Rivers he accepted. So Strong heads to Europe, Shaka backs out and Lovell interviews Wojo. Wojo supposedly gave Lovell 24 hours.  Lovell moved ahead without speaking to Strong. Strong was rightly pissed. I hear Bennett called MU as soon as LSU told him no but it was too late. I don’t think anyone knows Strong’s giving level, if any. He always donated anonymously. His legal issues cost him some money but he is still a billionaire. All Eliot Spitzer did was take some charitable contributions away from him since it would never affect his life style or several generations thereafter.  One of Dick Strong’ s best days in his life had to be the day the Spitzer prostitution thing broke. I hope he is still supporting MU behind the scenes—he might be doing that but we will never know.

I think you have some things confused here.
Bennett landed the Virginia job in 2009, so why would Dick Strong have flown out to Pullman to talk to him about the MU job before Wojo was hired in 2014?
Also, the LSU job wasn't open in 2014 (they'd just hired Johnny Jones the year prior) , so I'm not sure why Bennett was thinking it might be offered to him.
Maybe you're thinking about 2008, before Buzz was hired? But if that's true, why would Strong be working so hard to get Bennett - and perhaps be angry that MU didn't hire him - when he "loved" Buzz? Maybe he learned to love Buzz.

And, no, Strong was not "rightly" pissed. His support of the program surely is appreciated, but it doesn't mean he's entitled to overrule the president on hiring decisions.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2019, 07:58:51 PM »
I'll just add to the Strong tale that he pushed hard for MU to hire local with Lovell (and I believe ponied up some $$). When Lovell and Ferraro didn't inform DS on Wojo, I think that was it for MU basketball. I know the annual AD checks stopped for the coach salary and I think that Heartland isn't even involved with MU any more.

Gato, I think you got the Pullman story slightly wrong as TB was already at UVA. That run was when MU hired Buzz and MU wasn't at the Final Four with all the other coaches as they ran the search out of MKE.  TB called and said he'd now consider it but they had rushed and signed Buzz 20 minutes before.  I could be wrong so I will trust your take.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2019, 08:02:49 PM »

I don't question what you say, but Strong offers nothing but his money. He is a crook who was rightfully taken down.

Marquette does not need to be associated with his type. Personal values are much more important than money.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2019, 08:05:34 PM »

This is what I don't get.  Why should any donor expect to be informed of any decision that isn't directly involved  with a restricted donation? And why would you agree that he has the right to be pissed about it?
Have some patience, FFS.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2019, 08:06:02 PM »
Jockey

Do you know Dick Strong? Do you know his history? If what you believe is true, MU has happily taking dirty money. Are you saying MU had no problem taking dirty money? Come on, you are smarter than that.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2019, 08:07:56 PM »
Chick

No different than being a donor of building. Do you think they have say in the building they are paying for? In addition, who do you think was paying Buzz and Crean?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2019, 08:09:25 PM »
This is what I don't get.  Why should any donor expect to be informed of any decision that isn't directly involved  with a restricted donation? And why would you agree that he has the right to be pissed about it?

I believe it was restricted. I also believe that's how Buzz's Bunch got funded (although not certain). 

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2019, 08:13:19 PM »

Wow, you mean we might’ve had Tony Bennett instead of Wojo?  Ugh.  And who the heck was Wojo to give Lovell 24 hours, and why did Lovell fold?  Because there were so many other top schools courting Wojo?  This whole story makes Lovell look like a bumbling novice.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2019, 08:14:47 PM »
Wow, you mean we might’ve had Tony Bennett instead of Wojo?  Ugh.  And who the heck was Wojo to give Lovell 24 hours, and why did Lovell fold?  Because there were so many other top schools courting Wojo?  This whole story makes Lovell look like a bumbling novice.

No. His timeline is wrong. TB was post-Crean.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2019, 08:16:37 PM »
Gato, I think you got the Pullman story slightly wrong as TB was already at UVA. That run was when MU hired Buzz and MU wasn't at the Final Four with all the other coaches as they ran the search out of MKE.  TB called and said he'd now consider it but they had rushed and signed Buzz 20 minutes before.  I could be wrong so I will trust your take.

TB has been at UVA since 3/31/09 so he wouldn't have been involved "from Pullman" when Wojo was hired.

Not unless TB was going to leave Virginia...
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2019, 08:17:49 PM »
I have no doubt that there were those that thought TB would come to Marquette in 2014. I also have no doubt that those individuals were incorrect.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2019, 08:18:00 PM »
I don't question what you say, but Strong offers nothing but his money. He is a crook who was rightfully taken down.

Marquette does not need to be associated with his type. Personal values are much more important than money.

100% agree

Let me say this S L O W L Y

Strong was FINED $60 million and banned for life because he was a crook that stole money from his customers via unfair trades.

He was never a billionaire.  He maxed out about $800 million and lost about 2/3 of that thanks to his criminal behavior.

But yes In the 90s and 00s he was helpful to MU.  His ship sailed when he became a two-bit thief.

Goose your defense of questionable people is worrisome.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2019, 08:18:13 PM »
I stand corrected, it was the Buzz search that TB contacted MU. That said, they did reach out to him during the Wojo hire process.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2019, 08:19:49 PM »
Jockey

Do you know Dick Strong? Do you know his history? If what you believe is true, MU has happily taking dirty money. Are you saying MU had no problem taking dirty money? Come on, you are smarter than that.
His money was dirty wasnt it?  Buying and selling his own funds to drive up profits?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2019, 08:23:03 PM »
Towel

Then why was MU accepting dirty money? If you know it was dirty, MU sure should know. For the record, Dick was a billionaire and is a billionaire. You should do some homework on his current endeavors.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 09:18:22 PM by Goose »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2019, 08:24:20 PM »
Chick

No different than being a donor of building. Do you think they have say in the building they are paying for? In addition, who do you think was paying Buzz and Crean?

I don't know who was paying Buzz and Crean.  I have never seen anything about other than what's been posted here on Scoop, so I don't treat it any differently than any other unsubstantiated comment.
Have some patience, FFS.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2019, 08:24:54 PM »
Avid

Then MU should be ashamed of themselves for taking millions and millions from Mr. Striong. I hope you are smarter than to believe that.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2019, 08:27:06 PM »
Chick

I misunderstood, I thought you sent out a question to the board and I replied. Agreed, take it for what you believe it is worth.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2019, 08:30:29 PM »
Avid

Then MU should be ashamed of themselves for taking millions and millions from Mr. Striong. I hope you are smarter than to believe that.
I know little about it...but do know my brother had $ in a college savings fund that was involved.  I never read into it.  I thought it was well known...brother used to joke about helping Strong donate to MU. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2019, 08:30:35 PM »
I think you have some things confused here.
Bennett landed the Virginia job in 2009, so why would Dick Strong have flown out to Pullman to talk to him about the MU job before Wojo was hired in 2014?
Also, the LSU job wasn't open in 2014 (they'd just hired Johnny Jones the year prior) , so I'm not sure why Bennett was thinking it might be offered to him.
Maybe you're thinking about 2008, before Buzz was hired? But if that's true, why would Strong be working so hard to get Bennett - and perhaps be angry that MU didn't hire him - when he "loved" Buzz? Maybe he learned to love Buzz.

And, no, Strong was not "rightly" pissed. His support of the program surely is appreciated, but it doesn't mean he's entitled to overrule the president on hiring decisions.

Gato's order of events jumps back and forth between the two hires. Strong pitched Bennett in 2009 before we hired Buzz. Bennett wanted to go for the LSU job because his wife is from Louisiana. So Bennett pursued the LSU job while Marquette moved on to other candidates (Buzz) believing they would not be able to get Bennett. LSU decided to go with Johnny Jones instead. When Bennett learned he didn't get LSU in 2009, he called Marquette to ask if the head coaching job was still available. That phone call was made about a half hour after Buzz Williams put pen to contract.

The next hiring involvement was when Strong was involved in pitching Shaka in Richmond. They came to a tentative agreement that was later scuppered when Mrs. Smart decided she didn't want to go to Milwaukee. Strong's second choice was Howland but he was overseas when Marquette interviewed Cuonzo Martin & Steve Wojciechowski. From what I heard, the initial expectation was to hire Martin, but he didn't interview well at all. Meanwhile, Wojo knocked the interview out of the park and had a clear cohesive plan to restore Marquette basketball to its glory (the oft-mentioned powerpoint). The comment I heard was that Martin was running from something & Wojo was running to something. That may have been repeated here in recent days, but Martin didn't come off well at all. Lovell & company decided to go with Wojo and didn't consult Strong, which upset him.

Two totally different stories mixed together in Gato's post. I agree with what he said and it comports with what I've heard in the past.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.