[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz -Is he going to Texas A & M  (Read 28353 times)

Don_Kojis

• Scholarship Player
Buzz -Is he going to Texas A & M
« on: April 01, 2019, 01:44:19 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has heard is Buzz going for sure.

kryza

• Team Captain
Re: Buzz -Is he going to Texas A & M
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 01:48:44 PM »
One thing you can be certain with Buzz is that the entire media landscape will know when he makes it official.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 02:05:42 PM »
I don’t know that I’ve ever seen this much speculation for a job opening that isn’t open yet. There’s a lot of VT tweets without it officially being open.

I assume it’s just a matter of time until it’s official. Buzz needs the 30 clauses he wrote himself fully agreed to.

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 02:10:32 PM »
VT fans have been speculating about Buzz since January

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 02:42:36 PM »
I'll shoot you an email when I find out.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 03:05:04 PM »
superbar
Maigh Eo for Sam

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 03:06:09 PM »
Now Buzz has become a political lightning rod.  Blue state Virginia has to stop red state Texas from stealing Buzz with "dirty" oil money.

Woke up!

Virginia Tech fan starts GoFundMe to keep 'Oil barons' from hiring Buzz Williams at Texas A&M
19:07 GMT - The Dallas News

https://tech.einnews.com/article__detail/480917491-virginia-tech-fan-starts-gofundme-to-keep-oil-barons-from-hiring-buzz-williams-at-texas-a-m?vcode=XIbw

By Alex Miller , Texas A&M blogger Contact Alex Miller on Twitter: @AlexMill20 There's been soft buzz about Texas A&M hiring Virginia Tech's Buzz Williams to be the Aggies' next head basketball coach over the weekend, which has given Hokie fans time to try and keep their head man. One Virginia Tech fan has started a GoFundMe titled "Keep Buzz in Blacksburg …
Modify message
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 03:41:20 PM »
$350 of the $3.5 million raised in 7 days...

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 03:47:34 PM »
$350 of the $3.5 million raised in 7 days...
At that rate it will only take 191 years and 237 days to get the money.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 03:54:24 PM »
At that rate it will only take 191 years and 237 days to get the money.
to speak buzz speak...that's 1,679,958 hours

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 03:59:11 PM »
not to hijack this thread...but someone referenced dick strong stopped supporting MU when they hired buzz.  is this true?  anyone know the details?  they seem like two in the same. 

which has me wondering who are the big donors to MU now?  has this effected how our HC travels (thought strong's plane was offered for use regularly)?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 04:26:48 PM »
not to hijack this thread...but someone referenced dick strong stopped supporting MU when they hired buzz.  is this true?  anyone know the details?  they seem like two in the same. 

which has me wondering who are the big donors to MU now?  has this effected how our HC travels (thought strong's plane was offered for use regularly)?

No, Dick Strong was however incredibly pissed at the Wojo hire because the powers that be didn't inform him of it before it happened. Lovell blew that one(amongst other things in regards to the BB program).
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

irishwarrior14

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 04:31:20 PM »
If the past (March, 2014) is any indication, Buzz will show up on CBS set as a guest commentator at the Final Four this weekend wearing Texas A&M gear.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 04:44:59 PM »
No, Dick Strong was however incredibly pissed at the Wojo hire because the powers that be didn't inform him of it before it happened. Lovell blew that one(amongst other things in regards to the BB program).

... because Strong was not that important anymore.  He blew up his firm (Strong Capital) because he personally broke the law and that took a serious hit to his net worth.  He was forced to sell his firm to Wells Fargo and it cost hundreds of Strong employees their jobs in and around Milwaukee.

So, no Lovell did not blow it.  He (correctly) distanced himself him Strong.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 05:31:35 PM »
... because Strong was not that important anymore.  He blew up his firm (Strong Capital) because he personally broke the law and that took a serious hit to his net worth.  He was forced to sell his firm to Wells Fargo and it cost hundreds of Strong employees their jobs in and around Milwaukee.

So, no Lovell did not blow it.  He (correctly) distanced himself him Strong.

That happened in 2004.

connie

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 05:38:22 PM »
That happened in 2004.
And your agreement with paragon of virtue Elliot Spitzer that there was a serious crime committed by Strong is highly suspect (as is limiting Lovell's errors to the basketball program).
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 05:56:39 PM »
Towel

Inaccurate account of Strong on a couple of points. What you stated is not factual.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2019, 06:05:17 PM »
Towel

Inaccurate account of Strong on a couple of points. What you stated is not factual.

Enlighten me.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2019, 06:11:03 PM »
When Spitzer implied that Strong had been unethical, Strong stepped down, repaid monies, found managers to replace himself and still no charges brought.  Hard to prove innocence without being charged with wrongdoing.  Asshat Spitzer(I wanna be president)  destroyed Strong Funds..., not Dick Strong.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2019, 06:16:49 PM »
Dick Strong had to pay a $60 million penalty for insider trading thru Canary Capital, I had some of his funds back in the 90's and they were good, but he turned out to be dirty and fell off his perch

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2019, 06:19:07 PM »
And your agreement with paragon of virtue Elliot Spitzer that there was a serious crime committed by Strong is highly suspect (as is limiting Lovell's errors to the basketball program).

Strong was an idiot. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/21/business/fund-executive-accepts-life-ban-in-trading-case.html

Richard S. Strong, who helped fuel the extraordinary growth of mutual funds over the last three decades, agreed yesterday to pay $60 million and be banned from the financial industry for life to settle an investigation over rapid trades he made at the expense of investors in his funds.

Mr. Strong, the founder of Strong Capital Management, is the most prominent figure to be ensnared in a sweeping investigation of improper trading in mutual funds begun last September by Eliot Spitzer, the New York attorney general. Mr. Spitzer and other regulators have sued some of the largest money managers, forcing several to pay steep penalties and also reduce the fees charged to investors.

Strong Capital, based in Menomonee Falls, Wis., agreed to pay $80 million and cut management fees for its mutual funds by 6 percent over the next five years.

Forbes magazine has estimated Mr. Strong's personal wealth at $800 million. But it was a relatively small gain that resulted in his downfall.

He made $1.8 million in profit on hundreds of short-term trades in Strong Capital mutual funds, even as the company's public filings indicated that it discouraged such activity, Mr. Spitzer's office said yesterday.

The company also permitted a hedge fund, Canary Capital Partners, to trade rapidly in and out of Strong's funds, regulators said. The trades by Canary and its manager, Edward Stern, were first disclosed by Mr. Spitzer in a $40 million settlement with the fund and Mr. Stern last September.

Mr. Spitzer had weighed bringing criminal charges against Mr. Strong for the trading, and had convened a grand jury to consider the case. Mr. Strong, who avoided criminal charges, agreed to pay $60 million in penalties and disgorgement of profits.

ADDED

and his stupidity whacked two-thirds of his net worth

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2004-05-27-0405270275-story.html

Wells Fargo & Co. said Wednesday that it is buying the assets of Strong Financial Corp., the Wisconsin financial-services firm that was deeply involved in the nation's mutual fund trading scandal.

The price was not disclosed, but industry analysts estimated it was about $500 million, a fraction of what it would have cost before Strong's wrongdoing was made public.

"It's very cheap," said Richard Bove, managing director with brokerage firm Hoefer & Arnett. "Four months ago, we were talking $1.5 billion for the property. Then it came down to $1 billion."

The Strong name, prominent in the industry for 30 years, may not survive.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 06:23:38 PM by Heisenberg v2.0 »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2019, 06:41:40 PM »
Towel

Dick Strong is a lot of things, a crock or dishonest are not amongst them. He is good man, highly driven, high IQ and he treated his employees extremely well from day one he started his business. That said, he is quirky and I will leave at that. His departure from MU’s landscape was a loss for the program and the university. I will not debate Strong with you, aside from I wish he was still helping the program.

You can believe me or not, that is your call. But, I can add that I likely know more about the story than your finding newspaper links. I have not always been his biggest fan, but I do believe in being fair in how he is remembered.

Again, feel free to say whatever you want. Our debate over Rick showed your colors and that is fine by me.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2019, 06:52:11 PM »
I had an IRA with Strong funds. When Strong got in trouble it got transferred to Wells Fargo. That is ironic considering how honest Wells Fargo has been.

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2019, 06:54:58 PM »
How much did Strong donate to MU annually?

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2019, 07:00:22 PM »
Towel

Dick Strong is a lot of things, a crock or dishonest are not amongst them. He is good man, highly driven, high IQ and he treated his employees extremely well from day one he started his business. That said, he is quirky and I will leave at that. His departure from MU’s landscape was a loss for the program and the university. I will not debate Strong with you, aside from I wish he was still helping the program.

You can believe me or not, that is your call. But, I can add that I likely know more about the story than your finding newspaper links. I have not always been his biggest fan, but I do believe in being fair in how he is remembered.

Again, feel free to say whatever you want. Our debate over Rick showed your colors and that is fine by me.

Considering the way you defend questionable characters, if Dahmer invited you over for home-made sausage links, I have no doubt you would defend him too.