'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Virginia Tech Fans  (Read 103660 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Virginia Tech Fans
« Reply #550 on: April 04, 2019, 12:43:38 PM »
In terms of history TAMU and VPI are a wash.

In terms of $$$, TAMU wins in a landslide.

I think the ceiling at TAMU is significantly higher

What about conference affiliation? Everyone says the ACC is always Duke and UNC and then a bunch of almost-powers that will never really surpass them...but the same could be said about UK and the SEC. IMHO, he's just agreeing to be one of the almost-powers in a different conference.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #551 on: April 04, 2019, 12:46:23 PM »
In terms of history TAMU and VPI are a wash.

In terms of $$$, TAMU wins in a landslide.

I think the ceiling at TAMU is significantly higher

With Texas Tech emerging, Shaka needs to get out of Austin....especially with the Buzzard circling “nearby” (ok, Texas is big). Haven’t followed Texas recruiting, but isn’t the consensus that Shaka has mostly East coast connections? Wouldn’t VPI make sense given his success at VCU?

What do you see as the Texas hoops hierarchy in 5years? Who reigns, and how long will it last?

Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #552 on: April 04, 2019, 12:46:33 PM »
there's a problem with leaving if you made a promise to kids or co-workers...if not...feel free to go. 

when you decide to leave...there is a way to do so with class.

i think whether or not you feel you owe anything to an institution is up to the individual to determine. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #553 on: April 04, 2019, 12:54:16 PM »
With Texas Tech emerging, Shaka needs to get out of Austin....especially with the Buzzard circling “nearby” (ok, Texas is big). Haven’t followed Texas recruiting, but isn’t the consensus that Shaka has mostly East coast connections? Wouldn’t VPI make sense given his success at VCU?

What do you see as the Texas hoops hierarchy in 5years? Who reigns, and how long will it last?

If I were VT, I'd be pursuing Shaka hard.  I have no idea if he'd go.  If he gets fired, well that obviously changes things and increases the likelihood.  If he doesn't get fired, that would be a really tough blow to your ego (and, presumably, to your wallet) -- to go from UT to VT.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #554 on: April 04, 2019, 12:58:40 PM »
If I were VT, I'd be pursuing Shaka hard.  I have no idea if he'd go.  If he gets fired, well that obviously changes things and increases the likelihood.  If he doesn't get fired, that would be a really tough blow to your ego (and, presumably, to your wallet) -- to go from UT to VT.

But does Mrs. Shaka want to live in Blacksburg?  ;)

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #555 on: April 04, 2019, 01:08:04 PM »

No doubt that Buzz will succeed in recruiting the state - Shaka's going to need his East Coast connections.  I could see Shaka leaving for VT if he's having any hesitation about staying in Austin (or them keeping him on).  If he waits around another season, who knows what jobs are open in the "preferred" conferences?  BC?  Penn State?

I think Buzz has proven that he'll have A&M on the heels of UK within a few years, which is all their fanbase will ask for.  A no-brainer move for him.   

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #556 on: April 04, 2019, 01:27:13 PM »
I think Buzz has proven that he'll have A&M on the heels of UK within a few years, which is all their fanbase will ask for.  A no-brainer move for him.   

I think so too.  I think Buzz is an odd bird, but I don't have any animus toward him.  This is a fantastic move for him, and I'd expect TAMU to improve rapidly and be very competitive for years to come.  I expect Buzz to settle in and stay at TAMU for a good long time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #557 on: April 04, 2019, 01:29:59 PM »
I could see Shaka leaving for VT if he's having any hesitation about staying in Austin (or them keeping him on).  If he waits around another season, who knows what jobs are open in the "preferred" conferences?  BC?  Penn State?

Marquette?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #558 on: April 04, 2019, 01:30:29 PM »
I think so too.  I think Buzz is an odd bird, but I don't have any animus toward him.  This is a fantastic move for him, and I'd expect TAMU to improve rapidly and be very competitive for years to come.  I expect Buzz to settle in and stay at TAMU for a good long time.

He'll be there for 4-7 years and make bank at a blue blood when a spot becomes available.

Should we worry about Wojo to TAMU when Buzz takes over at Duke?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #559 on: April 04, 2019, 01:36:12 PM »
He'll be there for 4-7 years and make bank at a blue blood when a spot becomes available.

I'll take the over.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #560 on: April 04, 2019, 01:52:24 PM »
Should we worry about Wojo to TAMU when Buzz takes over at Duke?

Or Wojo to UGa when TC is gowne?

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #561 on: April 04, 2019, 01:53:16 PM »
I would be shocked if Buzz is still at A&M in six years.  His personality is one where is almost gets restless once he reaches a high-level of success.  I wouldn't be surprised if he followed a train of a thought where "I won now, so the expectations are higher; data shows those expectations are unlikely to be met, thus I should go to a place where I am valued before I get run out of here". 

Long-term, I envision Buzz having a similar collegiate career path to that of Lon Kruger - always moving on after several years at a program.  Buzz also has coached four D1 programs before the age of 50.  That is incredibly impressive/unique.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #562 on: April 04, 2019, 02:00:53 PM »
I would be shocked if Buzz is still at A&M in six years.  His personality is one where is almost gets restless once he reaches a high-level of success.

I wouldn't be. I could see Buzz there for 8-10 years. Now that he's closer to home, I think he sticks until a really big job comes calling. UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, something like that. I think he'll be very successful at A&M and try to turn that into a blue blood job. I don't expect more lateral moves from him just because.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #563 on: April 04, 2019, 02:03:46 PM »
Crean and Buzz are both fixers, not sustainers.  I honestly think Buzz prefers schools where hoops is #2.  He couldn't take the heat at the two stops where hoops was #1.

dannyb334

• Walk-On
« Reply #564 on: April 04, 2019, 02:04:39 PM »
  Buzz also has coached four D1 programs before the age of 50.  That is incredibly impressive/unique.

And keep in mind he had decent success at 2 out of 3 already

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #565 on: April 04, 2019, 02:05:23 PM »
Crean and Buzz are both fixers, not sustainers.  I honestly think Buzz prefers schools where hoops is #2.  He couldn't take the heat at the two stops where hoops was #1.

What is the second bball first school? 

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #566 on: April 04, 2019, 02:05:39 PM »
I'll take the over.

Fair, Texas people do love to get back to Texas.  I'm confident Buzz can be a hillbilly at any number of schools, though.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #567 on: April 04, 2019, 02:08:22 PM »

UNO

The Scat

• Walk-On
« Reply #568 on: April 04, 2019, 02:10:36 PM »

I assume he meant UNO.  The circumstances of Buzz's departure from UNO were so unique I don't think you can read much into it (other than that Buzz will bolt if things get difficult).

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #569 on: April 04, 2019, 02:12:52 PM »
I assume he meant UNO.  The circumstances of Buzz's departure from UNO were so unique I don't think you can read much into it (other than that Buzz will bolt if things get difficult).

Yes. He threw temper tantrums at both when he didn't get his way.  Different stage, same behavior.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #570 on: April 04, 2019, 02:20:15 PM »
Buzz also has coached four D1 programs before the age of 50.  That is incredibly impressive/unique.

Puts him in elite company with Steve Alford and Oliver Purnell.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #571 on: April 04, 2019, 02:28:55 PM »
UNO

Doc

But isn't saying UNO is a basketball first school like saying the Swiss Army ranks higher than the Swiss Navy?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #572 on: April 04, 2019, 02:34:02 PM »
I wouldn't be. I could see Buzz there for 8-10 years. Now that he's closer to home, I think he sticks until a really big job comes calling. UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, something like that. I think he'll be very successful at A&M and try to turn that into a blue blood job. I don't expect more lateral moves from him just because.

I hear ya and generally agree ... except who's to say that a blueblood doesn't come calling waaaay before 8-10 years? If he's successful at TAMU in, say 3 years, and if the program is clean (or at least cleanish), a blueblood with big $$$ could go for him. Or he could even give the NBA a shot. It sounds ridiculous, but I wouldn't have believed it for Kruger or KO or Stevens, either.

But yeah, I doubt he makes another lateral move.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #573 on: April 04, 2019, 02:40:47 PM »
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #574 on: April 04, 2019, 03:03:08 PM »
I would be shocked if Buzz is still at A&M in six years.  His personality is one where is almost gets restless once he reaches a high-level of success.   

I agree. He not only gets restless, but also power hungry, which leads to conflicts with the higher-ups.