[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Virginia Tech Fans  (Read 103144 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: Virginia Tech Fans
« Reply #600 on: April 04, 2019, 09:42:12 PM »
It's possible Buzz messes with his own happy. He identifies with the underdog -- the one everyone's against, the one that's expected to lose. When he finds success and starts to get comfortable somewhere, that might just make him uncomfortable.

Who is Virginia Tech? Perhaps the ultimate underdog. Think back to when Buzz arrived. In the ACC and the college basketball world, VT is nobody. They have virtually no history of winning, with just 8 NCAA appearances between 1908 and 2014. They're a vagabond -- moving from independent status (1908-1921) to the Southern Conference (1921-1965) back to independent status (1965-1977) to the Metro Conference (1978-1995) to the Atlantic 10 (1995-2000) to the Big East (2000-2004) to the ACC (2004-today).

The Hokies were also coming off a 9-22 season in which they finished dead last in the conference (15th out of 15 teams) and had missed the NCAA tournament for seven straight seasons.

Buzz comes in and leads Virginia Tech to three consecutive NCAA appearances for the first time in school history -- including the first Sweet 16 since 1967. Suddenly, the Hokies aren't such underdogs anymore. They're not expected to lose. Instead, they're expected to challenge Duke, UNC, Virginia and Louisville at the top of the conference.

Buzz might be at his best with a big chip on his shoulder, and start to get restless without one.

Buzz transitions from everybody is out to get his team, to everyone (in the administration) is out to get him. He has to feel the victim or little guy. You are right, he ruins his own happy.

Also, although VPI does not have a long track record, they were not bottom of the barrel. We were "team bubble watch" under Buzz for most of the time. We were on the right side of the bubble. The other "team bubble watch" was VPI, who was on the other side of the bubble because of weak out of conference schedules. Under Greenburg they were 170-123, for a winning percentage of 58%. Buzz was 100-69, for a 59% winning percentage at VPI.

Oregon Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #601 on: April 04, 2019, 09:45:43 PM »
Full quote:

I love where I am. I suppose it's a good thing when your phone is ringing and your name is being mentioned on the coaching carousel, but I'm happy with @MarquetteMBB.

Link?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #602 on: April 04, 2019, 10:05:43 PM »
Yeah...wojo strikes me as the kind of guy that looks for a low accountability job so he can coast through life.

Why?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #603 on: April 04, 2019, 10:28:10 PM »
Why?

Read the rest of Avid's post. Like you, he's not a teal guy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #604 on: April 04, 2019, 11:42:09 PM »
Read the rest of Avid's post. Like you, he's not a teal guy.

Thanks Lenny. Just did as you suggested, and I see. I like it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #605 on: April 05, 2019, 03:07:16 AM »
You never want to be the guy replacing The Guy. There are a few schools that are going to have to deal with this soon: Duke, UNC, Michigan State, Syracuse (though they probably hire Mike Hopkins).

Hopkins isn't going anywhere. He will be at U Dub for years.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #606 on: April 05, 2019, 05:41:37 AM »
You never want to be the guy replacing The Guy. There are a few schools that are going to have to deal with this soon: Duke, UNC, Michigan State, Syracuse (though they probably hire Mike Hopkins).
You do if you are really good and confident in what you do.  You dont want to be the school hiring the guy who flammed out following the legend....which tells me the school made a bad choice on who to hire when the legend left. 

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #607 on: April 05, 2019, 07:33:31 AM »

Seattle >>>>>>>>>> Syracuse

Pressure to win <<<<<<< Syracuse

Conference competition <<<<<<<< ACC

seems like a no-brainer to me

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #608 on: April 05, 2019, 07:34:59 AM »
Seattle >>>>>>>>>> Syracuse

Pressure to win <<<<<<< Syracuse

Conference competition <<<<<<<< ACC

seems like a no-brainer to me

They may circle back to him twice like UNC did with Williams. Who knows what he actually thinks in the matter.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #609 on: April 05, 2019, 08:29:28 AM »

The Tech Lunch Pail
@techlunchpaild
Here's a final update on all of this. As I've been informed last night, the flight connected to VT was not being used in the coaching search. Simply coincidental timing and business being done. Timing of flights from Milwaukee area brought intrigue but nothing to it. Carry on

One of you much better at trolling, please go troll this turd.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #610 on: April 05, 2019, 08:41:37 AM »
You do if you are really good and confident in what you do.  You dont want to be the school hiring the guy who flammed out following the legend....which tells me the school made a bad choice on who to hire when the legend left.

Exactly you take the chance n succeed or fail.  You dont wait around expecting the next guy to fail, because at most blue bloods the next guy does not fail.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #611 on: April 05, 2019, 09:18:05 AM »
I agree. If K really has the softest spot in his heart for Wojo among all his assistants, as has been said..........he’s already advised him to be the guy after The Guy.

the guy after the guy after The Guy**

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #612 on: April 05, 2019, 09:27:47 AM »
the guy after the guy after The Guy**

Where's Kyle Guy in this equation?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #613 on: April 05, 2019, 10:57:58 AM »

"years," as in the remaining number of years Boeheim stays at Syracuse.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #614 on: April 05, 2019, 11:10:39 AM »

The Tech Lunch Pail
@techlunchpaild
Here's a final update on all of this. As I've been informed last night, the flight connected to VT was not being used in the coaching search. Simply coincidental timing and business being done. Timing of flights from Milwaukee area brought intrigue but nothing to it. Carry on

One of you much better at trolling, please go troll this turd.

Amazing that one random idiot on twitter completely makes up something out of whole cloth (Gary is close enough to Milwaukee = Wojo is coming to VT!!!)  and, if you repeat the lie long enough, the circle jerk starts as it gets repeated and embellished by others that make up additional stuff (“my wife’s sister’s brother’s neighbor’s friend that works with the guy down the street saw Wojo on campus today!!!!!”).

It actually results in Wojo having to deny all of this.

Remind me again why social media is a good thing?

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #615 on: April 05, 2019, 11:19:15 AM »

Setting up illicit wedding registries.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #616 on: April 05, 2019, 11:43:27 AM »
Amazing that one random idiot on twitter completely makes up something out of whole cloth (Gary is close enough to Milwaukee = Wojo is coming to VT!!!)  and, if you repeat the lie long enough, the circle jerk starts as it gets repeated and embellished by others that make up additional stuff (“my wife’s sister’s brother’s neighbor’s friend that works with the guy down the street saw Wojo on campus today!!!!!”).

Remind me again why social media fan boards are a good thing?

fixed for accuracy

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #617 on: April 05, 2019, 11:52:02 AM »
Anthony Harris of Va Tech has reopened his recruiting. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #618 on: April 05, 2019, 11:55:05 AM »
Anthony Harris of Va Tech has reopened his recruiting.

Ironic that they are complaining that he will probably follow Buzz to A&M.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #619 on: April 05, 2019, 11:59:49 AM »

Remind me again why social media is a good thing?

+1

I almost wonder if the "random idiot" is actually VTech psychology professor running an experiment of some kind.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #620 on: April 05, 2019, 12:40:13 PM »
+1

I almost wonder if the "random idiot" is actually VTech psychology professor running an experiment of some kind.

I think it is just a guy best described by the band Styx:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XcKBmdfpWs

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #621 on: April 05, 2019, 01:37:04 PM »
"years," as in the remaining number of years Boeheim stays at Syracuse.

One of my colleagues is a major benefactor of U Dub MBB. He actually has had dinner at Mike and Tricia's home in Madison Park. 

He hated Romar but loves Hopkins. He is pretty certain Hopkins will not go to Syracuse.

Is that 100% certain. Likely not. But it is first person intel as opposed to the wild ass guess of some chucklehead on Scoop.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/the-huskies-have-their-coach-of-the-future-in-mike-hopkins-but-theyre-just-getting-started/

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #622 on: April 05, 2019, 01:44:52 PM »

And Guy Rodgers? Where is Guy Rodgers?

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #623 on: April 05, 2019, 01:50:36 PM »

And Guy Rodgers? Where is Guy Rodgers?

Underhanded free throws

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #624 on: April 05, 2019, 02:43:01 PM »
One of my colleagues is a major benefactor of U Dub MBB. He actually has had dinner at Mike and Tricia's home in Madison Park. 

He hated Romar but loves Hopkins. He is pretty certain Hopkins will not go to Syracuse.

Is that 100% certain. Likely not. But it is first person intel as opposed to the wild ass guess of some chucklehead on Scoop.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/the-huskies-have-their-coach-of-the-future-in-mike-hopkins-but-theyre-just-getting-started/
Smart way to handle it with donors...TC used to openly discuss leaving...That was never a good business decision in my opinion...