[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2019 thread  (Read 124121 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: MLB 2019 thread
« Reply #550 on: June 18, 2019, 11:23:56 PM »
Eloy  8-)

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #551 on: June 20, 2019, 10:27:01 AM »
C: Sanchez
1B: Goldschmidt
2B: Albies
3B: Rendon
SS: Bregman
OF: Puig
OF: Castellanos
OF: Pollock
UTL: Segura
UTL: Encarnacion
SP: Scherzer
SP: Snell
SP: Mikolas
SP: Castillo
SP: Quintana
RP: Hicks
RP: Strop
RP: Barnes
Bench: Brantley (OF), Peraza (SS), Moustakas (3B), Moncada (2B)

The Cubs are look bad.  So very, very bad.
However, my Fantasy team is solidly in 2nd place (out of 10), one week into the season.  I know everyone was wondering.  Goldschmidt had one very good game, Moncada is a monster, Albies and Rendon are good.

Goldschmidt sucks.  Snell is sucking historically.  Mikolas sucks. Pollock has been hurt forever.  I missed out on a bunch of draft steals, like:
Josh Bell
The middle infield for the Diamondbacks (Ketel Marte and Eduardo Escobar both have over 50 RBI)
Pete Alonso
Hunter unnatural carnal knowledgeing Pence
Trey Mancini
Jorge Polanco
Tommy unnatural carnal knowledgeing LaStella

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #552 on: June 20, 2019, 12:45:57 PM »
Tampa Bay/Montreal Devil Expos?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #553 on: June 20, 2019, 12:52:35 PM »

This is such a terrible idea ... and perhaps nothing more than a lame attempt to win leverage for a stadium deal.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #554 on: June 20, 2019, 01:04:47 PM »
This is such a terrible idea ... and perhaps nothing more than a lame attempt to win leverage for a stadium deal.

The Expos leaving Montreal wasn't like the Sonics being snatched from Seattle.  They had horrible attendance and there was little to no interest in the team by the city the last decade.  They won a single division title 40 years ago.  The only thing that the MLB misses from the Expos era is their awesome logo.  Of all the places to propose bringing a team to partially, Montreal is such a terrible choice.  LOL funny.  The Alouettes have the lowest attendance in the CFL.  Def a market fiending for another non-hockey team!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #555 on: June 20, 2019, 01:07:08 PM »
The Expos leaving Montreal wasn't like the Sonics being snatched from Seattle.  They had horrible attendance and there was little to no interest in the team by the city the last decade.  They won a single division title 40 years ago.  The only thing that the MLB misses from the Expos era is their awesome logo.  Of all the places to propose bringing a team to partially, Montreal is such a terrible choice.  LOL funny.  The Alouettes have the lowest attendance in the CFL.  Def a market fiending for another non-hockey team!

Yup, I want the Expos back just because their uniforms were awesome.  And Vlad Guerrero was even more awesome.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #556 on: June 20, 2019, 01:16:16 PM »
Its too bad that the stadium/fanbase for that team is such a disaster.  They have one of the most inventive and creative front offices and management teams the game has ever seen, and it largely goes to waste. Think about how much fun the 2019 Rays would be if they were the Portland Weirdos or the Omaha Insurers, drawing 22,500 per game and punching above their weight as a small market team.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #557 on: June 20, 2019, 01:50:58 PM »

The strike killed baseball in Montreal.  All was fine and the Quebecois never came back after the strike.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #558 on: June 20, 2019, 02:39:27 PM »
The strike killed baseball in Montreal.  All was fine and the Quebecois never came back after the strike.

It didn't help, but attendance was fine by Expo standards the first few years after the strike.
It was when the team started to suck - they won an average 73 games per season in the 10 seasons post-strike - and the stadium began to fall apart that fans stopped coming.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #559 on: June 20, 2019, 03:09:58 PM »
Its too bad that the stadium/fanbase for that team is such a disaster.  They have one of the most inventive and creative front offices and management teams the game has ever seen, and it largely goes to waste. Think about how much fun the 2019 Rays would be if they were the Portland Weirdos or the Omaha Insurers, drawing 22,500 per game and punching above their weight as a small market team.
I do wish we had a pro team here. I've never gotten into the AAA team here, maybe would if they were the Brewers affiliate.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #560 on: June 20, 2019, 03:17:09 PM »

I really don't know where a team should be placed though.  If they had a stadium available, Charlotte might be the best location. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #561 on: June 20, 2019, 04:50:32 PM »

I really don't know where a team should be placed though.  If they had a stadium available, Charlotte might be the best location.

Charlotte, Nashville, and Indianapolis would all make sense, if a stadium was available.  They are all amongst the highest attendance in the minors, and 2 of 3 play in the right time zone, though Nashville is still far enough East to work.  Columbus also draws really well but that would never happen with Cleveland and Cincy

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #562 on: June 20, 2019, 05:01:51 PM »

correct.  They were 74-40 when the strike ended the season and averaging over 24K per game. After the strike, their best players were all dealt and payroll was slashed significantly. Then Selig and Loria conspired to kill off the Expos and move them to DC and the fan base had enough. Plus, Olympic Stadium was a dump outside of downtown. 
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #563 on: June 21, 2019, 09:26:25 AM »
Charlotte, Nashville, and Indianapolis would all make sense, if a stadium was available.  They are all amongst the highest attendance in the minors, and 2 of 3 play in the right time zone, though Nashville is still far enough East to work.  Columbus also draws really well but that would never happen with Cleveland and Cincy

Portland or Las Vegas
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #564 on: June 21, 2019, 09:49:48 AM »
Columbus also draws really well but that would never happen with Cleveland and Cincy

They would draw really well in a 10,000 seat stadium.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #565 on: June 21, 2019, 02:21:33 PM »
They would draw really well in a 10,000 seat stadium.

I'm not sure your point.  Obviously its not an MLB stadium.  Just pointing out the AAA markets/teams that draw well relatively for that level.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #566 on: June 21, 2019, 02:41:36 PM »
I'm not sure your point.  Obviously its not an MLB stadium.  Just pointing out the AAA markets/teams that draw well relatively for that level.

My apologies. I thought you were recommending Columbus as Avis last alternative.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #567 on: June 21, 2019, 02:46:22 PM »
Portland or Las Vegas

Portland lost their AAA team though and Vegas...well I don't know...that might work.

Charlotte, Nashville, and Indianapolis would all make sense, if a stadium was available. 

Good thoughts.

But any location is going to need a team first before a stadium would be built right?  At least with an indoor arena, it can be used for other things.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #568 on: June 21, 2019, 03:42:56 PM »
MLB has a chance to align things up properly for once, between moving the Rays and then adding two teams.

My thought has always been to get rid of the leagues, go full DH, go to a 148 game schedule, and line up this way. 8 division winners go to the playoffs. I'd have the other 24 teams play a single elimination tournament to determine draft order to curtail tanking.

My divisions are to cut down on as much travel as possible. You'd play each team in your division 12 times (6 home/6 away), and you'd play every other team in the league 2 home/2 road, so there'd be a balanced schedule.

Seattle
Portland  (Expansion)
San Fran
Oakland

LAD
LAA
SD
AZ

Col
Tex
Hou
KC   (Royals are tough to slot, ideally they'd be with St. Louis, but not happening)

Mil
CHC
CWS
St.L

Tor
Montreal (Rays move)
Minny
Det

NYY
NYM
Bos
Phi

Pit
Cincy
Clev
Nashville (Expansion)

Atl
Miami
Balt
Wash

Baseball is a regional sport now anyway, they should embrace it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #569 on: June 21, 2019, 05:05:54 PM »
MLB has a chance to align things up properly for once, between moving the Rays and then adding two teams.

My thought has always been to get rid of the leagues, go full DH, go to a 148 game schedule, and line up this way. 8 division winners go to the playoffs. I'd have the other 24 teams play a single elimination tournament to determine draft order to curtail tanking.

My divisions are to cut down on as much travel as possible. You'd play each team in your division 12 times (6 home/6 away), and you'd play every other team in the league 2 home/2 road, so there'd be a balanced schedule.

Seattle
Portland  (Expansion)
San Fran
Oakland

LAD
LAA
SD
AZ

Col
Tex
Hou
KC   (Royals are tough to slot, ideally they'd be with St. Louis, but not happening)

Mil
CHC
CWS
St.L

Tor
Montreal (Rays move)
Minny
Det

NYY
NYM
Bos
Phi

Pit
Cincy
Clev
Nashville (Expansion)

Atl
Miami
Balt
Wash

Baseball is a regional sport now anyway, they should embrace it.

This is a beaut, Clark.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #570 on: June 21, 2019, 05:08:29 PM »
Col
Tex
Hou

I grew up a Royals fan in pre-Rockies Colorado.  So this makes perfect sense to me.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #571 on: June 21, 2019, 05:14:05 PM »

Montreal X-Rays

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #572 on: June 21, 2019, 05:28:35 PM »
I grew up a Royals fan in pre-Rockies Colorado.  So this makes perfect sense to me.

Didn’t realize baseball was around 10,000,000 years ago.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #573 on: June 21, 2019, 05:28:53 PM »
Montreal X-Rays

Pay the man, Shirley!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #574 on: June 21, 2019, 05:29:20 PM »
Montreal X-Rays

More like the Montreal "Ex"-Rays