[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2019 thread  (Read 124142 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: MLB 2019 thread
« Reply #375 on: June 03, 2019, 12:25:28 PM »
Major League Baseball has a bigger problem than safety.  Boredom and fan loss.  Attendance down again this year despite home run record in May with 1,135 dingers.

The prospect of serious injury definitely makes the game more exciting, and is a great enticement to bring your family to the old ball game.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #376 on: June 03, 2019, 12:29:37 PM »
Major League Baseball has a bigger problem than safety.  Boredom and fan loss.  Attendance down again this year despite home run record in May with 1,135 dingers.
With half the teams tanking and rebuilding, why the surprise?   And Tampa has never drawn, despite being one of the most interesting teams in the league.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #377 on: June 03, 2019, 12:48:39 PM »
With half the teams tanking and rebuilding, why the surprise?   And Tampa has never drawn, despite being one of the most interesting teams in the league.

Apparently, fans don't enjoy the experience of watching baseball played in a warehouse.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #378 on: June 03, 2019, 12:50:45 PM »
Nets, foul line to foul line. It's a no-brainer. There is absolutely no reason to argue against them. None.

If one wants to argue that other things also should be fixed to save life and limb, cool, but it has nothing to do with the no-brainer that is putting up nets.

Let me start by saying I'm not against extending the nets, but why is the default position set at foul line to foul line?  Is there something inherently more dangerous about being one seat into foul territory vs. one seat into fair territory?  When this discussion came up on here before I've said the same thing.  Conduct a study, make a determination about the appropriate place to start/stop the nets based upon the study and do so.  I wouldn't call foul line to foul line a no-brainer.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #379 on: June 03, 2019, 01:12:05 PM »
What should Brewers do with Shaw returning? I don't think there is anyway they can send Hiura down. The guy has been too good and too valuable.

Great batting stroke. I think his absolute floor would be a young Neil Walker. Ceiling? How about Alex Bregman?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #380 on: June 03, 2019, 01:14:00 PM »
Apparently, fans don't enjoy the experience of watching baseball played in a warehouse.

*submarine

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #381 on: June 03, 2019, 01:34:57 PM »
That dude is an absolute beast.  Hit a 460 foot bomb over the scoreboard today in Birmingham.  He has a .930 OPS in AA, in a field that typically suppresses offense, after a 1.400 OPS in high A.  If he keeps this up, I'd think he will be in Charlotte shortly after the All-Star break.

Hey, a couple of Sox fans on Scoop!

Went yesterday.  Giolito so solid.  Starting to feel really good about this team.

I'd love for them to stay in contention for the wildcard and go through the process of playing some important games at the end of the year.  May not have to wait until 2021--next year could be very good. 

Legit plus position players:

Abreu
Anderson
Moncada
McCann (did not see that coming)
Jimenez
Robert

Solid pieces/utility players

Sanchez
Tilson
Garcia

Unproven but real position player prospects (I consider Robert proven):

Burger
Madrigal
Collins

Current starters and high prospects are interesting bc other than Giolito and maybe Lopez, they are unproven, injured or both:

Giolito (1/2)
Lopez (4)
Rodon (3)
Kopech (1/2)
Dunning (2/3)
Cease (2/3)

(the rest of the current bunch - meh)

And they have Colome for now. I would not trade him this year if they are in contention at deadline- would be wrong message to send. 

Do you try to sign Kuechel and bring up Cease and take a run??

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #382 on: June 03, 2019, 02:57:40 PM »
I’m excited to be a Sox fan right now. Hopefully things unfold for them at #3 tomorrow.

Luis Robert is destroying AA, I wonder what their timeline is going to look like for him.
I agree
I watched all three games of their recent series with the Astros, won by the Sox. Many good hitters Good pitching, too. Arent you glad they didnt blow the wad on Machado. They are only a year or two away from challenging for the central...IMHO Indians are in decline and Twins are only continued good team in AL Central
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #383 on: June 03, 2019, 03:51:19 PM »
Nice weekend for the Cardinals this past weekend.

Made up for the debacle at Wrigley a couple of weeks ago.

Adam Wainwright still has something left in the tank -- and the bullpen put out the fires.

Long way to go but after a bad May, things are righting....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #384 on: June 03, 2019, 04:19:31 PM »
What should Brewers do with Shaw returning? I don't think there is anyway they can send Hiura down. The guy has been too good and too valuable.

Great batting stroke. I think his absolute floor would be a young Neil Walker. Ceiling? How about Alex Bregman?

They sent Hiura down. Think he may have been the only one with a minor league option
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #385 on: June 03, 2019, 04:31:03 PM »
They sent Hiura down. Think he may have been the only one with a minor league option

While Stearns is denying a 'service time' consideration, it could have had an impact. Shaw needs to get it going for the Crew to maximize their opportunities. He's got a long leash. But he needs to remember that he has options too. If he needs to ask anyone, Orlando's locker is right there.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #386 on: June 03, 2019, 04:37:26 PM »
Hey, a couple of Sox fans on Scoop!

So ... Vaughn or Abrams tonight?
I think they end up sticking to their formula and taking Vaughn.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 04:39:27 PM by Pakuni »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #387 on: June 03, 2019, 06:26:09 PM »
So ... Vaughn or Abrams tonight?
I think they end up sticking to their formula and taking Vaughn.

Was hoping the Orioles might surprise everybody and pass on Rutschman.

Love Vaughn's bat, but I think we have a lot of 1B/DH types in the pipeline. Think I might take a chance on Abrams or the OF from Vandy.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #388 on: June 03, 2019, 06:38:20 PM »
Vaughn it is. Guy can rake - could he be with the big club by sometime in 2020?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #389 on: June 03, 2019, 07:19:20 PM »
Vaughn it is. Guy can rake - could he be with the big club by sometime in 2020?

Agree on the glut of 1B/DH in the system, but I guess you take your guy and let that figure itself our. 2020 a possibility, depending on what they do with Abreu.
Sox don't have much positive history with 'toolsy' high schoolers, so I'm not mad they didn't take Abrams.
Hope they take nothing but starters and middle infielders the rest of the way.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #390 on: June 03, 2019, 07:34:12 PM »
Agree on the glut of 1B/DH in the system, but I guess you take your guy and let that figure itself our. 2020 a possibility, depending on what they do with Abreu.
Sox don't have much positive history with 'toolsy' high schoolers, so I'm not mad they didn't take Abrams.
Hope they take nothing but starters and middle infielders the rest of the way.

+1 on all accounts. Hope they stockpile a bunch of good arms.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #391 on: June 03, 2019, 08:51:56 PM »
Was thinking the same thing about Abreu, though I hope they keep him.  He has been a leader for all the young guys. (Not to mention that he he pretty damn good).

Seems like the right pick. Likely to be a success.  I like it more than the Madrigal pick (who I see as a utility guy).

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #392 on: June 03, 2019, 09:56:49 PM »
Why does it have to be foul line to foul line?  Look at the very few injuries that do happen, and they are nowhere near the foul pole.  Just an over rotation.  Cannot wait for a critical game where a ball could have been caught for a key out that isn’t because we are putting up a net in a place that doesn’t need it and will protect absolutely no one.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #394 on: June 03, 2019, 11:43:28 PM »
Why does it have to be foul line to foul line?  Look at the very few injuries that do happen, and they are nowhere near the foul pole.  Just an over rotation.  Cannot wait for a critical game where a ball could have been caught for a key out that isn’t because we are putting up a net in a place that doesn’t need it and will protect absolutely no one.

Not gonna get into one of your argue-for-sake-of-arguing rabbit holes.

You don't think it should happen. That's your opinion. My opinion is that it should happen and that it will happen. No-brainer. Done deal.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #396 on: June 04, 2019, 07:59:05 AM »

Eh that happens already behind the plate.  No biggie.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #397 on: June 04, 2019, 08:54:57 AM »

I can't say I'm pleased with this decision, especially since I'm stuck with Hiura in my weekly fantasy league, but its probably the right one.

Most of the pitchers have options remaining, but the only position players with options are Gamel (too valuable as the fourth OF), Arcia (swinging a hot bat and the key to the defense), and Hiura.  Shaw has options too.

I think Stearns sees this playing out in one of a few ways:

• Shaw comes back to form, hits 15 dingers and bats .270 for the rest of the season.  Hiura comes back in September.
  • Someone gets hurt (perhaps "conveniently") from the group of Shaw, Moose, Aguilar, Thames, Perez.  Hiura comes back up.
  • Shaw is terrible again for two weeks.  Shaw gets optioned to AAA, Hiura comes back and continues to rake.

Ideally, all of those "Hiura comes back" happen after whenever the Super 2 date is.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #398 on: June 04, 2019, 10:15:04 AM »
Not gonna get into one of your argue-for-sake-of-arguing rabbit holes.

You don't think it should happen. That's your opinion. My opinion is that it should happen and that it will happen. No-brainer. Done deal.

I am curious why the default position of those advocating for more netting is foul pole to foul pole as opposed to some point between the current location and the foul poles?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #399 on: June 04, 2019, 10:35:10 AM »

How often does a catch occur in an area that would be prevented by netting "in a place that protects absolutely no one" in a critical game? Once or twice a season? I guess it depends on what a critical game is and where you would consider netting to be "protecting absolutely no one." If it's only a couple times, wouldn't reacting to the netting getting in the way be an....over rotation?

I would trade hundreds of missed catches for one less fan being injured. My guess is, the ratio of missed catch to fan being protected isn't close to that.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback