Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 10:48:14 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[Today at 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Curious on how prepared MU is on program  (Read 11079 times)

Goose

• All American
Curious on how prepared MU is on program
« on: March 24, 2019, 10:06:15 AM »
Curious to hear folks thoughts on the leadership of our program. If, and I say if, Wojo would leave for another job over the next couple of weeks, is MU prepared for new search? Do you think they always have a short list of candidates in case of emergency need? Do you think they are asleep at the switch? Do you think they had inkling of a possible Woj departure or caught by surprise?
I think these are all fair questions to ask of the guys controlling the destiny of the program. Curious on what others know or feel on the topic.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 10:12:45 AM by Goose »

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Re: Curious on how prepared MU is on program
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 10:14:17 AM »
I think the answer is none of us know.  Has our current AD had to make any hires?  Wojo, Krieger and Amplo were all in place?

Would be interesting to find out.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 10:16:20 AM »
Curious to hear folks thoughts on the leadership of our program. If, and I say if, Wojo would leave for another job over the next couple of weeks, is MU prepared for new search? Do you think they always have a short list of candidates in case of emergency need? Do you think they are asleep at the switch? Do you think they had inkling of a possible Woj departure or caught by surprise?
I think these are all fair questions to ask of the guys controlling the destiny of the program. Curious on what others know or feel on the topic.
Have no way of knowing what leadership is thinking, but they should always have a short list of available candidates, and also have contacts out there in the basketball world that can find other interested candidates quickly.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 10:36:19 AM »
Willie
Agreed. I always get nervous we get caught with our pants down. Several of our best hires were identified and courted under the radar and that should not be the case. Hope they have a list together in case it is needed.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 10:50:53 AM »
We have seen this before with TC and Buzz, is wojo just looking for more money?

MU_Beav

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 10:58:07 AM »
We have seen this before with TC and Buzz, is wojo just looking for more money?

If he really wants unlv, it’s got to be Oats or bust....

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 11:16:24 AM »
Willie
Agreed. I always get nervous we get caught with our pants down. Several of our best hires were identified and courted under the radar and that should not be the case. Hope they have a list together in case it is needed.

Twice in a row now we have been caught with our pants down.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 11:25:14 AM »

For the past five years, the narrative spun by many around here has been that the administration somehow forced Buzz out. Now you're telling us they were "caught with their pants down" when he left.
How can both be possible? They forced him out ... then were shocked to learn he was gone? Hmmm.

I would strongly suspect that they were caught with their pants down on neither occasion.
If a bunch of idiots on a fan forum can catch wind of speculation that a coach may be talking with another program, you can pretty much guarantee that an AD - you know, someone with actual connections in the industry and not wannabe insiders on message board - has heard the same. 
It would be stunning to me if Scholl didn't have a list of potential candidates committed to memory.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 11:27:29 AM by Pakuni »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 11:26:32 AM »
They were prepared for Buzz departure.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 11:33:14 AM »
There is a short list every AD has for key sports positions. Search firms are utilized, too.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 11:39:31 AM »
I’m confused. Is Wojo thinking about leaving?
Bring back FFP!!!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 11:42:46 AM »
I’m confused. Is Wojo thinking about leaving?

A Seton Hall message board started the rumor & some are running with it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 11:46:43 AM »
There is a short list every AD has for key sports positions. Search firms are utilized, too.

I would hope they wouldn’t go with a search firm. IMO, a waste of money and, in cases like Todd Turner’ firm, way too much COI when hiring.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 11:49:20 AM »

Care to explain
— Plato

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 11:51:41 AM »

Actually it started on the National Rivals board and others picked up on it.  All are pretty flimsy.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 11:53:17 AM »
Willie

Unfortunately, Bill Cords isn't walking back thru that door...The AD came from a mid major, so guess where he'd probably look for the next Head Coach??  :(
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 11:53:43 AM »
The rumor is Wojo to UNLV? Or just that he wants out?
Bring back FFP!!!

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 11:53:47 AM »
I would hope they wouldn’t go with a search firm. IMO, a waste of money and, in cases like Todd Turner’ firm, way too much COI when hiring.

You more than I do on this, who is Todd Turner?  Search firms are used for corporations to place executives and they have a hit or miss like anyone else. 
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 11:55:28 AM »
Unfortunately, Bill Cords isn't walking back thru that door...The AD came from a mid major, so guess where he'd probably look for the next Head Coach??  :(

The AD was at Notre Dame for 23 years, spending the last three as the number 2 in their department. 
— Plato

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 12:03:57 PM »
You more than I do on this, who is Todd Turner?  Search firms are used for corporations to place executives and they have a hit or miss like anyone else.

Toff Turner is the old AD at Vandy and Washington (fired at both) who now runs a highly used search firm. 3 of Goodman’s 10 worst hires of the decade were Turner hires. The most notable Stallings at Pitt. As fir COI, he had hired Stallings to Vandy and his former deputy at UW, was the AD at Pitt.

https://watchstadium.com/news/the-10-worst-college-basketball-coaching-hires-this-decade-03-07-2019/

My opinion is that the AD should run the search, they know what the department is all about more than anyone else.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 12:09:36 PM »
While I don't think Wojo is going anywhere, let's say for this discussion Wojo does take another job and leaves.  My initial reaction would be that administration, while satisfied with what Wojo has done between recruiting, professional representation of the program, fan interest and multiple 20-win seasons, would feel like there was a sense of unmet expectations (especially if Howard does, in fact, leave, without ever winning a game in the tournament).  To be clear, March success is not the only indicator of whether a coach is successful or not, but the way the last month of the season has gone, can definitely be labeled a red flag IMO. 

Thus, when administrators have the opportunity to hire a new coach, coming off of a sour ending to the season and that sense of unmet expectations, I feel like they regularly hire an opposing-style head coach.  For example, if you hired a young assistant that did not pan out, then you would go and get a proven head coach.  If you the former coach was older and passive, then you would hire the young and energetic coach.  Going off of that, I would guess that for the first time in a long time, Marquette would look to hire an experienced head coach, if given the opportunity in the near-future. 

From that criteria, I would think that Matt McMahon, Nate Oats, Porter Moser, and Brian Wardle would all be considered.  There's little chance a standing B1G/Big 12/SEC/ACC head coach would come over.  There's always the chance of Stan/Brett getting the opportunity, as would Travis Diener (since that is the current trend within the Big East). 

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 12:24:21 PM »
While I don't think Wojo is going anywhere, let's say for this discussion Wojo does take another job and leaves.  My initial reaction would be that administration, while satisfied with what Wojo has done between recruiting, professional representation of the program, fan interest and multiple 20-win seasons, would feel like there was a sense of unmet expectations (especially if Howard does, in fact, leave, without ever winning a game in the tournament).  To be clear, March success is not the only indicator of whether a coach is successful or not, but the way the last month of the season has gone, can definitely be labeled a red flag IMO. 

Thus, when administrators have the opportunity to hire a new coach, coming off of a sour ending to the season and that sense of unmet expectations, I feel like they regularly hire an opposing-style head coach.  For example, if you hired a young assistant that did not pan out, then you would go and get a proven head coach.  If you the former coach was older and passive, then you would hire the young and energetic coach.  Going off of that, I would guess that for the first time in a long time, Marquette would look to hire an experienced head coach, if given the opportunity in the near-future. 

From that criteria, I would think that Matt McMahon, Nate Oats, Porter Moser, and Brian Wardle would all be considered.  There's little chance a standing B1G/Big 12/SEC/ACC head coach would come over.  There's always the chance of Stan/Brett getting the opportunity, as would Travis Diener (since that is the current trend within the Big East).

What has Porter Moses done in his career?  Same for Brian Wardle?  It feels to me that each NCAA tournament schools jump on the guy that makes some run over the course of 10 days, and 3 to 5 years later they are firing that coach. 

If the current fanbase is not happy with Wojo, why would they be with Stan?  Isn't he an assistant coach that participates in game planning, strategy, recruiting? 
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2019, 12:27:06 PM »

Found it.  This message by one of their members struck me, they recognize fans are idiots everywhere:

If you think Willard has it rough from some of our idiotic fans, it’s nothing compared to the hatred the Marquette fans have for Wojo. The collapse to end this year was just the straw that broke the camels back.
— Plato

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2019, 12:31:57 PM »
Highly doubt Wojo to UNLV, but when you have our fanbase anything is possible.  It would look like he is running away, not a good look for his career.

But whatever, a lot of dominoes are going to fall here anyway because Arizona, Kansas May have new coaches.  Va Tech likely will, Texas next year, LSU this year.  Anything can happen, if I were Wojo and wanted to escape, I wait to see the carnage over the next few weeks.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2019, 12:32:09 PM »
They were prepared for Buzz departure.

Who was they?  Overall, MU was in a very bad spot to hire.  No AD. No President. A new conference. The Smart drama, especially with the #donedeal leak.  A fracture with Strong in the middle of it.  A new BOT head in the middle of it.  Lovell wanting to get involved although not yet started. Doc floating in and out.

Did Cords and Broeker have a list?  Yes, thank god but if it wasn’t for those two it would have been a complete shytshow.

feedback