'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Curious on how prepared MU is on program  (Read 11074 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: Curious on how prepared MU is on program
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2019, 12:34:16 PM »
Toff Turner is the old AD at Vandy and Washington (fired at both) who now runs a highly used search firm. 3 of Goodman’s 10 worst hires of the decade were Turner hires. The most notable Stallings at Pitt. As fir COI, he had hired Stallings to Vandy and his former deputy at UW, was the AD at Pitt.

https://watchstadium.com/news/the-10-worst-college-basketball-coaching-hires-this-decade-03-07-2019/

My opinion is that the AD should run the search, they know what the department is all about more than anyone else.

How do other search firms perform?  If this guy is as bad as you say, how does he stay in business?  He must have some hits, too?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2019, 12:37:03 PM »
Found it.  This message by one of their members struck me, they recognize fans are idiots everywhere:

If you think Willard has it rough from some of our idiotic fans, it’s nothing compared to the hatred the Marquette fans have for Wojo. The collapse to end this year was just the straw that broke the camels back.

Has anyone put a For Sale sign in Wojo’s front yard like the Hall fans did?  That was pretty funny.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2019, 12:37:16 PM »
Twice in a row now we have been caught with our pants down.
Strange, Wojo was caught with his pants down in 6 of his last 7 games.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2019, 12:38:46 PM »
Unfortunately, Bill Cords isn't walking back thru that door...The AD came from a mid major, so guess where he'd probably look for the next Head Coach??  :(
So if not Mid Major, another assistant? Or do you expect MU to steal a high major coach from another school?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2019, 12:39:02 PM »
From that criteria, I would think that Matt McMahon, Nate Oats, Porter Moser, and Brian Wardle would all be considered.  There's little chance a standing B1G/Big 12/SEC/ACC head coach would come over.  There's always the chance of Stan/Brett getting the opportunity, as would Travis Diener (since that is the current trend within the Big East).

Dear God ... enough with the Porter Moses nonsense. Outside of one magical tourney run, he's done absolutely nothing in 15 years as a head coach to merit even a sniff at the MU job.
And the history of hiring coaches because of one big tourney run isn't exactly sterling (see: Andy Enfield, Stan Heath, Jim Groce, Dan Monson, etc.).

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2019, 12:39:06 PM »
Highly doubt Wojo to UNLV, but when you have our fanbase anything is possible.  It would look like he is running away, not a good look for his career.

But whatever, a lot of dominoes are going to fall here anyway because Arizona, Kansas May have new coaches.  Va Tech likely will, Texas next year, LSU this year.  Anything can happen, if I were Wojo and wanted to escape, I wait to see the carnage over the next few weeks.
Kansas! Where the hell does that come from?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2019, 12:52:01 PM »
How do other search firms perform?  If this guy is as bad as you say, how does he stay in business?  He must have some hits, too?

Fogler’s has misses too. But, college sports at the highest levels is rather incestuous. They take care of their own. Very much an old boys network.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2019, 01:08:24 PM »
Why in the hell would he go to a lesser school in a lesser conference,unless he was asked to leave?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2019, 01:09:11 PM »

The FBI

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2019, 01:15:24 PM »
Has anyone put a For Sale sign in Wojo’s front yard like the Hall fans did?  That was pretty funny.

Kevin O'Neill made that statement at the 100th celebration, sounds like a coach's fable more than anything.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2019, 01:16:54 PM »

Bill Self cheated and caught on FBI tapes, that’s where it comes from.  We will see what happens.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2019, 01:23:21 PM »
Bill Self cheated and caught on FBI tapes, that’s where it comes from.  We will see what happens.
Thanks. Did not know they have Self on tape. That is sure under the radar. Why hasn't Kansas done something already. If it is on tape  I would still be surprised if Kansas does anything. And the NCAA  you are right, we'll see how that goes. Maybe by 2025 they will get around to it, by the time Self has retired.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2019, 01:27:56 PM »
Let me tell you how it works. If Wojo is getting canned the AD picks up the phone first and places a call to Korn Ferry and begins the search process.

If Wojo leaves, the AD will pick up the phone and call Korn Ferry which initiates the search process.

At both PepsiCo and GE we used Korn Ferry and Spencer Stuart. They are discreet and professional.

Within a week of retaining the search there will be a list of candidates. This is hardly rocket science. And for the University administration it is pretty painless. The fees are steep but it's big business.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2019, 01:28:28 PM »
Our short list and long should be Kelvin Sampson, Lon Kruger and Tony Bennett. 

Enough of this learning on the job nonsense.  We supposedly have the best of everything in men's basketball, it is time our coaching reflected the rest of our commitment to men's hoops.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2019, 01:35:12 PM »
Our short list and long should be Kelvin Sampson, Lon Kruger and Tony Bennett. 

Enough of this learning on the job nonsense.  We supposedly have the best of everything in men's basketball, it is time our coaching reflected the rest of our commitment to men's hoops.

Now that makes me laugh.

Sampson dirty at two different programs.

Bennett already said no, not a chance in hell this ever happens.

Kruger lost in a Final Four game by more than Crean did and you and others destroy Crean for that as one of the mortal sins of life.

Besides, none of them are leaving warm weather at their age to come to Milwaukee. Not a single one of them.

So what assistants do you have on your list since that seems to be the only ones we hire.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2019, 01:36:19 PM »
Our short list and long should be Tony Bennett. 

"Well I'll be goddamned! You guys really want me as your coach?"

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2019, 01:43:38 PM »
A good friend of mine who is also a big KU booster told me he is unsure of Self's future.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2019, 01:53:11 PM »
Dear God ... enough with the Porter Moses nonsense. Outside of one magical tourney run, he's done absolutely nothing in 15 years as a head coach to merit even a sniff at the MU job.
And the history of hiring coaches because of one big tourney run isn't exactly sterling (see: Andy Enfield, Stan Heath, Jim Groce, Dan Monson, etc.).

Moser has successfully taken Loyola from the Horizon to the top of the Valley, is a strong recruiter, is a disciple of Rick Majerus and has worked at Creighton, Saint Louis and Loyola (all Jesuit institutions, which the admin would love). 

Not saying he would definitely be hired at all.  But to say that he wouldn't even be considered as a candidate is short-sighted and foolish. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2019, 01:55:01 PM »
The Lens
I am very good with your list.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2019, 02:06:55 PM »
The Lens
I am very good with your list.

Well Goose apparently we can have the best of everything in facilities and program management but we have to settle for entry level on coaches. 

God forbid we hire a guy away from Norman, OK or get a guy who sent too many text messages. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2019, 02:07:27 PM »
Highly doubt Wojo to UNLV, but when you have our fanbase anything is possible.  It would look like he is running away, not a good look for his career.

Our fanbase is small and tame as hell compared to a lot of other programs. And yet those coaches seem to be able to deal with it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2019, 02:10:25 PM »
Our fanbase is small and tame as hell compared to a lot of other programs. And yet those coaches seem to be able to deal with it.

So true. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM »
Well Goose apparently we can have the best of everything in facilities and program management but we have to settle for entry level on coaches. 

God forbid we hire a guy away from Norman, OK or get a guy who sent too many text messages.

Name the last high major coach we lured away.  We have tried, and tried, and tried.

Hey, I would love it.  I have been against the assistant thing here for years.  Too big a risk, takes too long to see what you have, if they are good they leave, if not good we push them out.  I’d much rather have a finished product, but it hasn’t happened in decades if forever depending on one’s classification of high major....which UVA and OU are.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2019, 02:12:02 PM »
A good friend of mine who is also a big KU booster told me he is unsure of Self's future.

I’m still waiting for you to produce the names of people who said FSU was lucky to win against MSU and we were unlucky to lose against MSU.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2019, 02:12:12 PM »
If the UNLV rumors are true it tells me Wojo is jumping before being pushed so I’d expect those getting ready to push to be prepared with a plan.
No Finish Line

feedback