[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Let's Nip This Is the Bud Now  (Read 12674 times)

ATWizJr

• All American
Re: Let's Nip This Is the Bud Now
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2019, 02:05:15 PM »
We played 34 games. After 33 games the selection committee said we were one of the top 20 teams (17th to be exact). 33/34 = 97%.

Public opinion is overrated.
how many games were we rated 20th or better?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2019, 02:08:02 PM »
HowardsWorld

Didn't you hear about that "really, really big 2020 recruiting class"?  Several scoopers are talking up the special 2020 recruiting class that Wojo is working on. Fortunately, we are so deep going into next season that Wojo has no holes to fill in.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2019, 02:09:15 PM »
HowardsWorld

Didn't you hear about that "really, really big 2020 recruiting class"?  Several scoopers are talking up the special 2020 recruiting class that Wojo is working on. Fortunately, we are so deep going into next season that Wojo has no holes to fill in.

Yes I have heard many times about the big recruiting class of 2020 who currently has 1 player in it.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2019, 02:17:43 PM »
HowardsWorld

Goose, those same guys will talk up the 2022 class, then it will be 2024, then 2026, etc.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2019, 02:20:42 PM »
HowardsWorld

You do not sound as optimistic of the big 2020 class as some other on here do.

RJax

We have three top 5 players in the nation within 15 miles and no one finds it troubling that we will likely whiff on all three. Same story as the season, just different excuses. The guys want to only go blue blood, get away from home, not Wojo's kind of player. But, you are correct on if not 2020, wait until fill in the blank.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2019, 02:39:17 PM »
Yes I have heard many times about the big recruiting class of 2020 who currently has 1 player in it.

Can we wait until it is completed.....might be a good idea.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

PVMagic

• Starter
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2019, 02:44:29 PM »
Can we wait until it is completed.....might be a good idea.

Well, a lot of these posters aren't around when there is good news.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2019, 02:46:27 PM »
Cheeks

Agreed on seeing how it plays out. Only mentioned because several on here are touting that class and using that as a reason to support Wojo. Curious, do you point out the parade organizers for 2020 class to hold off shutting down Wisconsin Ave until the it is completed?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2019, 02:48:08 PM »
HowardsWorld

You do not sound as optimistic of the big 2020 class as some other on here do.

RJax

We have three top 5 players in the nation within 15 miles and no one finds it troubling that we will likely whiff on all three. Same story as the season, just different excuses. The guys want to only go blue blood, get away from home, not Wojo's kind of player. But, you are correct on if not 2020, wait until fill in the blank.
It's unfortunate, but it's not troubling.  Marquette has never landed these types of kids.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2019, 02:49:29 PM »
Goose, Torrence is already in.    It appears that MU is close on Dainja and Garcia.    If MU were to land both, would that be enough for you?     To replace Sam, Sacar, Markus, and Ed?     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2019, 02:57:10 PM »
Tower
Truthfully, grading recruiting classes is difficult task and really takes shape after the guys start playing college ball. I see what guys say on here about recruits and almost is always rosy, until we lose them. As I said two weeks ago, I hope Wojo has nationally ranked recruiting classes every year, not just certain years.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2019, 03:18:53 PM »
Tower
Truthfully, grading recruiting classes is difficult task and really takes shape after the guys start playing college ball. I see what guys say on here about recruits and almost is always rosy, until we lose them. As I said two weeks ago, I hope Wojo has nationally ranked recruiting classes every year, not just certain years.

That is the dream.   For 2019-2020, however, there is no playing time available.    Difficult to land 5 star talent when a team has 95% of its minutes returning (theoretically) and 3 big guards already in the fold.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2019, 03:44:14 PM »
That is the dream.   For 2019-2020, however, there is no playing time available.    Difficult to land 5 star talent when a team has 95% of its minutes returning (theoretically) and 3 big guards already in the fold.

If they are good enough to play themselves into some of those 95%, they will have done it the old fashioned way-earning it
don't...don't don't don't don't

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2019, 04:04:17 PM »
We played 34 games. After 33 games the selection committee said we were one of the top 20 teams (17th to be exact). 33/34 = 97%.

Public opinion is overrated.

This team was lost for the last 20% of the season though.

But I agree Wojo is going nowhere, and I am not naive enough to think MU is going to upgrade.  Wojo's been good.  Results haven't been great, but I like what he has built.  This team just folded.  It sucked to see.  Took me 22 hours to muster the strength to come here. 

But we should be pretty good next season.  I hope Koby can play point - reviews seem to be mixed there.  I am going against what I said literally days ago, but I wouldn't hate patrolling the market for a backup PG on the grad transfer market.  Or a freshman decommit point. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Osiris

• Starter
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2019, 04:12:23 PM »
I mean come on, there was a fat guy who could barely get up and down the court!  Why not exploit that?  Speed up the play. Something.  Anything.

Exploit?  I’d have settled for matching his motor.  That fat kid outhustled every MU player that saw the court.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill

Goose

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2019, 04:18:28 PM »
Tower
Plenty of playing time available. So, if Nico bumps his head and comes to MU, you don’t play him?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2019, 05:00:23 PM »
Only tells part of the story.

I would have LOVED to play Iowa, for example....but that would mean we were a 7 seed.

What our seed is does not mean a whole lot until you look at the schools that are in it.  There are 12 seeds here that are BETTER teams at this point in time than their seed indicates. 

The committee seeds someone based on their overall resume, but not how one is playing at the moment which is why using purely seeds has holes in it because of how teams are playing.  That includes MU’s collapse at the end, or Oregon’s rise in the last two weeks.

You may have loved to play Iowa. Cincinnati didn't. Is Murray better than their slot (45-48)? Sure, maybe by a lot. Will they totally dominate anyone else and beat them by 19? Unlikely. Are we worse than our slot (17)? Absolutely. By a ton. Were we the most overseeded/overrated team in the tournament? Probably. Did any team in the tournament have a combined end of season/NCAA tournament collapse to rival ours? Nope. We're #1. Sad. Lots of better teams than us playing in the NIT.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2019, 05:03:51 PM »
To everyone who defends Wojo through all of this let me ask you this. What if next years team is equal to this years team or even takes a step back. Losing Howard/Morrow/Sam Hauser the following year isn't going to make the team 2 years from now better than this year. Wojo had a very small window this year and next and he failed on step one. What would Wojo have to do in the next two year to have you lose faith in him and want him fired? His window is now 1 year and thats next year before he has to restart with a new class to carry the team. I'm not trying to be a pessimist here but I am torn on the future here.

I’m expecting Sweet 16.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2019, 02:50:32 PM »
Clearly something is wrong with the committee if Marquette was the 17th best resume and put up that performance. I guess you are just fine and dandy with being okay.

I on the other hand like geico, am not fine with just okay. I'm not okay with having the talent to he a top 10 team, lose 6 of the last 7, lose the big east championship then lose in the big east tournament then lose in the NCAA right away. If wojo pulls the exact same stunt next year he needs to go. Regardless if it's a 5 seed or not. What did we accomplish this year in tangible results? Get back to the NCAA tournament as a 1 and done? Were not depaul...  we should not be excited about this.

Or what? What are you going to do? If you have season tickets are you going to not renew? Go for it and put your money where your mouth is. Just stop whining like some entitled little baby.

feedback