Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Markus  (Read 85883 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Markus
« Reply #500 on: April 12, 2019, 02:39:13 PM »
I think Symir has an interesting decision.  On one hand, he can save eligibility and be part of the next crew.  On the other, he can get limited minutes but have a shot at a very deep run as a Frosh.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #501 on: April 12, 2019, 02:52:40 PM »
I think Symir has an interesting decision.  On one hand, he can save eligibility and be part of the next crew.  On the other, he can get limited minutes but have a shot at a very deep run as a Frosh.

Me thinks its not really up to Symir at this point.  He's a 2020 unless Wojo to tells him to come for next season.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #502 on: April 12, 2019, 02:53:23 PM »
Me thinks its not really up to Symir at this point.  He's a 2020 unless Wojo to tells him to come for next season.

i don't think so. He's a top 50ish recruit. If he wants to come I think he's welcome here. But I do think the decision has already been made one way or another.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #503 on: April 12, 2019, 04:27:33 PM »

My impression is that if Symir called Wojo tomorrow and said "I wanna be part of next year's run Coach" they would take him without hesitation. But I don't think it's an unlimited offer. They are kicking the tires on some traditional transfers. If one of them beats Symir to the punch I would assume the decision gets taken out of his hands.

My ideal scenario:
Land a stud traditional transfer (would love a true FR like Adam Flagler for class balance)
Symir stays in 2020 class
Land 1 of Dawson Garcia/Dain Dainja/Andre Jackson/Jamari Sibley
Land 1 of Jalen Suggs/Nimari Burnett/Reece Beekman/Julian Strawther/Ethan Morton
Land Jalen Johnson
If Eke's back is a no go: land one more of the previously mentioned players
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #504 on: April 12, 2019, 05:25:46 PM »

If that’s the case, then I don’t have the best feeling about him being at MU. Has he signed or just verballed? He may want to reclassify but sees the logjam MU now has at guard next year. Could easily reclassify, decommit and end up at some place like Syracuse and play right away.

My thought is get him on campus ASAP and redshirt him if possible.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #505 on: April 12, 2019, 06:11:15 PM »
If that’s the case, then I don’t have the best feeling about him being at MU. Has he signed or just verballed? He may want to reclassify but sees the logjam MU now has at guard next year. Could easily reclassify, decommit and end up at some place like Syracuse and play right away.

My thought is get him on campus ASAP and redshirt him if possible.

I think the coach staff has a pretty good feeling about Symir ending up on campus regardless of his reclassification.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #506 on: April 12, 2019, 09:41:06 PM »
Symir has not yet signed, so he has the power.

If he wanted to do something and Wojo told him to do something else, there are dozens of other programs (maybe hundreds) who would take him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #507 on: April 12, 2019, 09:46:50 PM »

If he wanted to do something and Wojo told him to do something else, there are dozens of other programs (maybe hundreds) who would take him.
I agree with this analysis .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #508 on: April 12, 2019, 10:05:09 PM »
27% three point shooter with over 5 attempts per game.  I'm sorry, I just can't see it.  You need Giannis  like ability to get to the rim with that poor of an outside shot.

Really? Wasn't Henry Ellenson the 14th or 15th pick?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #509 on: April 12, 2019, 10:36:28 PM »
Really? Wasn't Henry Ellenson the 14th or 15th pick?

Henry didn't exactly work out for the Pistons in case you didn't notice. I would be very surprised to see Naji leave this summer.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #510 on: April 12, 2019, 10:52:54 PM »
Didn't have a bad run wit da Nicks. Due da name Christian Wood ring a bell, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #511 on: April 12, 2019, 11:00:11 PM »
Henry didn't exactly work out for the Pistons in case you didn't notice. I would be very surprised to see Naji leave this summer.

Oh, I noticed. But he was a power forward who shot a lot of 3s but didn't make many -like Naji. And wasn't exactly Giannis, like Naji. But he was a lottery pick nonetheless - if you didn't notice.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #512 on: April 12, 2019, 11:17:37 PM »
Oh, I noticed. But he was a power forward who shot a lot of 3s but didn't make many -like Naji. And wasn't exactly Giannis, like Naji. But he was a lottery pick nonetheless - if you didn't notice.

Henry was not a lottery pick.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #513 on: April 13, 2019, 12:08:52 AM »

Henry wasn't a lottery pick and Naji isn't a PF.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #514 on: April 13, 2019, 01:10:15 AM »

Meh. If a kid wants out, he’ll be let out. Having not signed isn’t a big deal imo.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #515 on: April 14, 2019, 03:54:04 PM »
For the record, I'd do anything for one more year with Markus. Kid is a second team all-American, can fill it up, and lead us to a 5seed. All the negativity around him is silly. I hope he starts developing an "unfinished business" mindset with Sam.

Interesting suggestion
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #516 on: April 14, 2019, 04:26:00 PM »
Meh. If a kid wants out, he’ll be let out. Having not signed isn’t a big deal imo.

I honestly do not know how often a kid who has signed and decides he wants out is allowed to transfer without having to sit out a year.

Maybe that's the norm. If so, you're right.

I was always told by coaches that "we don't really have him for sure till he signs," but maybe they were just being superstitious or something.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #517 on: April 14, 2019, 04:30:46 PM »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #518 on: April 14, 2019, 10:17:53 PM »
I honestly do not know how often a kid who has signed and decides he wants out is allowed to transfer without having to sit out a year.

Maybe that's the norm. If so, you're right.

I was always told by coaches that "we don't really have him for sure till he signs," but maybe they were just being superstitious or something.

It's the norm. I am correct.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #519 on: April 14, 2019, 10:35:15 PM »
Does anyone think Symir will reclass and redshirt like joey did?

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #520 on: April 14, 2019, 11:14:58 PM »

It has to make the most sense for all parties. Let’s face it, Symir wants to be a pro in, let’s say 3 years. Does it make sense to

1. Stay at prep school in Vermont for another year, and although playing great competition, delay your exposure to the next-level?

2. Join Marquette in 2019 but see relatively limited PT? Less work on individual skills, and less time to adjust to academics and the whole college experience.

3. Join MU in 2019 and fully immerse yourself in the college-level work ethic and speed of the game, while working on your body and a couple quirks in your game, all while both retaining a year of eligibility and gaining the experience of a possible Championship run. You get to focus on self-improvement and individual skills all while learning from a talented group of players and coaches.

It really seems like a no-brainer. Wouldn’t he be most ready for the Next Next level with Option3?  His commit video really focused on D Wade as both a scorer and passer, and it looks like he really wants to develop as a complete guard. I know this post is kinda like duh, capt obvious, but I guess that’s my point.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #521 on: April 15, 2019, 12:01:00 AM »
2. Join Marquette in 2019 but see relatively limited PT? Less work on individual skills, and less time to adjust to academics and the whole college experience.

I’m not sure that’s necessarily true. Think there’s potentially a lot of minutes available for a top level PG/combo guard. Not sure if symir will fit that bill coming a year early but it’s certainly possible. Not as high on GE and koby as some others on here are and I see them as more “energy” guys.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #522 on: April 15, 2019, 01:02:59 AM »

I think it is not as crazy of an idea as it might look at first glance
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #523 on: April 15, 2019, 10:04:50 AM »

Joey was hurt. He wasn't going to play his second semester in high school. The situations are apples and kumquats. He chose to come to Marquette so he could get worked on by elite trainers, get started with his college courses and get exposed to the college scene. He did not give up playing basketball that year to do so. It was a win-win.

3. Join MU in 2019 and fully immerse yourself in the college-level work ethic and speed of the game, while working on your body and a couple quirks in your game, all while both retaining a year of eligibility and gaining the experience of a possible Championship run. You get to focus on self-improvement and individual skills all while learning from a talented group of players and coaches.

It really seems like a no-brainer. Wouldn’t he be most ready for the Next Next level with Option3?  His commit video really focused on D Wade as both a scorer and passer, and it looks like he really wants to develop as a complete guard. I know this post is kinda like duh, capt obvious, but I guess that’s my point.

It might seem like a no-brainer to you, but you are not an 18-year-old elite-level athlete who has supreme confidence in his ability and who probably does not like the idea of sitting out a year while healthy and ready to play. You are bringing logic, maturity and an ability to see the big picture here. Most of these kids want to play, period.

I have absolutely no window into Symir's mind. Maybe he's thinking logically like you. If so, it would make him a rarity. More likely, if he decides to reclassify he will be summoning the exact confidence that has helped him be an outstanding basketball player to believe he is good enough to crack Wojo's rotation next season.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #524 on: April 15, 2019, 12:21:52 PM »
It has to make the most sense for all parties. Let’s face it, Symir wants to be a pro in, let’s say 3 years. Does it make sense to

1. Stay at prep school in Vermont for another year, and although playing great competition, delay your exposure to the next-level?

If he’s aiming to be a pro in 3 years, he doesn’t need to consider benefits of saving a year of eligibility, since he wouldn’t use it up anyway.