[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus  (Read 86917 times)

drewm88

• All American
Re: Markus
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2019, 07:34:24 PM »
Drew
There are plenty of special talents over time that never won anything. Truly special talents usually succeed at the highest level. I have learned that special talents vary in degree. Example, Aaron Rodgers is a special talent with limited postseason success. Tom Brady is special talent in different way with a great deal of success.
I hope Howard is back, but would not bet  his talent taking us to promise land next March.

Goose, I think I know what you're getting at, but the example confuses me. In my mind, the difference in results between Brady and Rodgers generally comes down to coaching and the players around them. So to carry it over, it wouldn't be Markus's fault if we're not succeeding.

Markus has limitations, namely his size. Because of it, he'll never be an overwhelming physical presence who can take over both ends of the floor. However, we've seen plenty of times he's done it on one end with his incredible shooting and quickness. I don't think he is enough to win 4-6 straight on his own against the cream of the crop next March, but I think he can be the centerpiece of a team that does. (Not saying he will, but he could.)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2019, 09:52:32 PM »
Totally agree with this.  Having said that...

What this team sorely lacks is a guy that can manipulate the defense and control the pace of a game.  Markus gets manipulated by defenses.  Defenses force him into the shots they want him taking, not the other way around.  Markus is a much better defender than Rowsey was if for no other reason than simple effort.  But Rowsey was infinitely better in terms of getting defenses to react to him.  He had the ball on a string, was constantly reading the defense and seeing the court, and was a much better passer.  He was also much better at avoiding picking up the ball in troubling spots on the floor or getting stuck in double teams (though he did those things more often than I would've liked).  He was also obviously a great shooter.  Markus is better at finishing in the paint.

What this team needs is a guy like Storm Murphy from Wofford, who was a Wisconsin kid (and right down the road from UW).  The kid is constantly pushing the ball up the court with his head up.  If a lane to the bucket is open he keeps pushing, if a teammate is open he finds them, and if not he slows it down and gets the offense going.  Constantly probing, getting a step on his defender but keeping him on his hip instead of in front while reading what the defense is doing, and making the smart play.  He reminds me of the guards from Loyola last season.  Marquette does not have that and desperately needs it.  Markus's difficult down the stretch of the season was that defenses forced him into spots on the court where it was hard for him to do anything other than put up contested shots, and that's exactly what he did.

Interesting, thought-provoking analysis.

Thanks for posting it, wades.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2019, 09:53:18 PM »
MU82. I usually think you are nothing but a massive douche bag but given the nature of this board over the last three weeks this is a very good post

Um ... thanks?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2019, 04:39:17 PM »
I think Markus' left wrist has been bothering him more than he has let on over the last 7 games.  He first injured it during the loss at Nova, and we've only won one game since the injury.  The team's struggles coincidentally line up with the time he hurt the wrist.  His shooting percentages from 3, 2 and the line have all been worse since the injury.  He has had trouble handling the ball, turning it over (even more than before), and even getting himself in position to get good shots off since the injury. 

Although I agree with a lot of the analysis here, and a true distribution-oriented point guard would really make the offense dynamic, it makes me think that there may not be as much adjusting needed as we're all talking about if such a point guard is not available for next year.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2019, 04:52:35 PM »
Brew

Not disputing your post on Howard's wrist to be potentially the case, but...if it was his wrist, why did the HC not adjust to similar game plan that won a big game at Georgetown? I actually do think the wrist affected him and I actually think the HC did nothing in regards to putting in a new plan. As I have noted throughout the season, hoping your PG scores 40+ points for the win is not a coaching plan many would follow.

IMO, the Georgetown was our best 40 minutes of team basketball. Whatever was adjusted to for that 40 minutes possibly might have been a good plan with an ailing chucker on the team. If you believe Howard was hurt, why do you believe Wojo made ZERO adjustments?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2019, 05:02:03 PM »
Goose, I have no answers for Wojo's plan, or lack thereof.  Perhaps Markus lied to Wojo and the staff about his wrist so he could stay on the floor more?  Again, I don't know....
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2019, 05:09:05 PM »
Brew

Not disputing your post on Howard's wrist to be potentially the case, but...if it was his wrist, why did the HC not adjust to similar game plan that won a big game at Georgetown? I actually do think the wrist affected him and I actually think the HC did nothing in regards to putting in a new plan. As I have noted throughout the season, hoping your PG scores 40+ points for the win is not a coaching plan many would follow.

IMO, the Georgetown was our best 40 minutes of team basketball. Whatever was adjusted to for that 40 minutes possibly might have been a good plan with an ailing chucker on the team. If you believe Howard was hurt, why do you believe Wojo made ZERO adjustments?
adjusting to the situation is one thing, but having such a one dimensional game plan was the problem to begin with. Maybe the injury or injuries were significant or maybe more significant was that other coaches adjusted to stop MH and the blueprint was out.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2019, 05:35:32 PM »
hairy
Agreed on original problem.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2019, 05:59:54 PM »
I just want to make this comparison for discussion purposes..Without looking it up can someone tell me who these players are??

Player A                                                                               

Ortg-110.7
%poss- 36.1
% shots- 36.7
Efg%- 52.0
TS%- 59.0
OR%- 1.5
DR%- 11.2
Arate- 27.2
TO rate- 18.4
FD/40- 7.2

Player B

Ortg-107.0
%poss- 34.6
% shots- 37.4
Efg%- 48.0
TS%- 53.4
OR%- 1.4
DR%- 11.0
Arate- 19.1
TO rate- 15.9
FD/40- 5.9

Very similar players based on these metrics, aren't they??

“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2019, 06:57:28 PM »
TheREALwrk

Any update on Markus departure? Has he hired an agent yet?

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2019, 08:14:24 AM »
My friend who goes to marquette was at the Al and saw stan and markus arguing about him staying. Stan was telling him that if he stays we would be a top team with Greg and Koby being able to play next season but markus looked very frustrated and said he talked about it with his family after the murray state game. Sounds like he's gone

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2019, 08:21:05 AM »
My friend who goes to marquette was at the Al and saw stan and markus arguing about him staying. Stan was telling him that if he stays we would be a top team with Greg and Koby being able to play next season but markus looked very frustrated and said he talked about it with his family after the murray state game. Sounds like he's gone

Anything is possible but I'll just say that doesn't sound like Stan at all
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2019, 08:23:46 AM »

Or Markus

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2019, 08:30:08 AM »

Seems like a conversation Stan and Markus would definitely have out in the open at the Al.  I'm guessing Markus told Stan he's just mad that he'll be making more money than Stan in about 5 months?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2019, 08:35:20 AM »
Seems like a conversation Stan and Markus would definitely have out in the open at the Al.  I'm guessing Markus told Stan he's just mad that he'll be making more money than Stan in about 5 months?

I think it's more likely they would wait until someone at MUTV could catch them on camera. Really dramatize it with some music from The Bachelor.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2019, 08:37:52 AM »
Brew

this was my first thought as well...but we won that game by 3 points.  when markus was on his game and everyone was positively feeding off of him...mu was controlling games.  i don't put 100 hour weeks in on MU bball, but my thought was wojo and staff felt their best chance at reaching the ceiling for this team was for markus to go kemba walker.  unfortunately (depending on how you want to look at the decline) markus wasn't able to adjust, wasn't able to be consistent, and/or was playing hurt. 

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2019, 08:40:14 AM »

Was anyone wearing a boot? 

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2019, 08:49:44 AM »
TheREALwrk

Any update on Markus departure? Has he hired an agent yet?

No update. Mum is the word.

Lmao at the "Stan/Markus" conversation. Stan is a consummate professional and wants what's best for Markus, whether that be staying or leaving. The two respect eachother too much to argue in public.

Sam and Markus were chillin in Cartoonys Instagram story the other day, so looks like any bad blood between them (ya, right) is squashed.

For the record, I'd do anything for one more year with Markus. Kid is a second team all-American, can fill it up, and lead us to a 5seed. All the negativity around him is silly. I hope he starts developing an "unfinished business" mindset with Sam.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 27, 2019, 08:51:22 AM »
I just want to make this comparison for discussion purposes..Without looking it up can someone tell me who these players are??

Player A                                                                               

Ortg-110.7
%poss- 36.1
% shots- 36.7
Efg%- 52.0
TS%- 59.0
OR%- 1.5
DR%- 11.2
Arate- 27.2
TO rate- 18.4
FD/40- 7.2

Player B

Ortg-107.0
%poss- 34.6
% shots- 37.4
Efg%- 48.0
TS%- 53.4
OR%- 1.4
DR%- 11.0
Arate- 19.1
TO rate- 15.9
FD/40- 5.9

Very similar players based on these metrics, aren't they??

Rowsey & Howard

Edit: Its not Wowsey. Assist, turnover, efg are all better then either of these guys.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 08:53:59 AM by #UnleashCain »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2019, 08:54:34 AM »
I think it's more likely they would wait until someone at MUTV could catch them on camera. Really dramatize it with some music from The Bachelor.

Will Markus H and Stan J iron out their differences?  Find out next week.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 27, 2019, 08:56:48 AM »
Was anyone wearing a boot?

Stan was wearing one on each foot, and Markus had one on his wrist.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2019, 09:32:59 AM »
i guess we will have to wait and see

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2019, 09:34:57 AM »

'Tis a sign that we will have three transfers out this offseason. 

If Stan or Markus had their arm in a cast up in the air Henry Rowengartner style, it would have meant an surprise commitment.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2019, 10:05:09 AM »

Was this before or after Ferris passed out at 31 Flavors?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2019, 10:23:41 AM »

This made me laugh.

feedback