[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 08:56:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2019 Coaching Carousel  (Read 201105 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: 2019 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #850 on: April 14, 2019, 10:29:29 AM »
If only Marquette could land any decent transfers.
And, no, Bolden is not a great transfer by any stretch of the imagination.

Yes he is
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #851 on: April 14, 2019, 10:31:57 AM »
He quit on his team before the season was over, many fans saying he sulked most of the year.  Maybe he needed a change of scenery, but let’s not anoint him just yet.

I wouldn't call being injured "quitting on his team".
TAMU

muguru

• All American
« Reply #852 on: April 14, 2019, 10:33:50 AM »

+1000...the kid was injured at the end of January and never played another game after that. That isn't quitting.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #853 on: April 14, 2019, 10:36:03 AM »
In this case,  Guru is right.  A coach leaving doesn't have to mean a rebuild. It often means a rebuild but not always. That being said,  Oats retaining his best players and getting a solid grad transfer doesn't mean he'll be successful. His predecessor had a similar arrival to Tuscaloosa but was still fired three seasons later.

And again, it doesn't matter because there was 0% Wojo was going to be fired. Suggesting that Marquette should fire him after last season was not even close to realistic.
TAMU

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #854 on: April 14, 2019, 11:12:31 AM »

He quit the team March 7th, when the season was still going on. Had traveled previously, did not make the trip to Iowa State.  I would call that quitting on the team.  He could have waited until the season was over.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #855 on: April 14, 2019, 11:13:33 AM »
In this case,  Guru is right.  A coach leaving doesn't have to mean a rebuild. It often means a rebuild but not always. That being said,  Oats retaining his best players and getting a solid grad transfer doesn't mean he'll be successful. His predecessor had a similar arrival to Tuscaloosa but was still fired three seasons later.

And again, it doesn't matter because there was 0% Wojo was going to be fired. Suggesting that Marquette should fire him after last season was not even close to realistic.

Sure, anything is possible...but as has been shown the last two times MU hires a coach, we lost key members of the recruiting class.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #856 on: April 14, 2019, 11:35:12 AM »
Yes he is

Part-time starter on a 15-21 team.
.349 shooter from 3.
2.5/2.1 assist to turnover ratio as a point guard.
.497 eFG
Perhaps we define "great" differently?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #857 on: April 14, 2019, 11:56:25 AM »
Part-time starter on a 15-21 team.
.349 shooter from 3.
2.5/2.1 assist to turnover ratio as a point guard.
.497 eFG
Perhaps we define "great" differently?

I think you have too high of expectations for grad transfers. Top 5 grad transfer so far this season
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #858 on: April 14, 2019, 12:09:03 PM »

That basically describes Wojo's arrival. Kept everyone who was eligible to return, kept Sandy, landed Carlino, still had the worst season in a long time at Marquette. Followed that up with a banner recruiting class that ended up with the top recruit leaving for the NBA after one year, the other two freshman year starters transferring out, and the other two playing supporting roles to a less heralded class the next year.

You never know how early returns will go, but it's definitely more about how you sustain than how you start.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #859 on: April 14, 2019, 12:23:29 PM »
I think you have too high of expectations for grad transfers. Top 5 grad transfer so far this season

So he's great because it's a weak class of grad transfers?
I mean, OK. I was just judging by the actual merits of the player.
Anyhow, he's a 6 foot combo guard who's not a particular good shooter or distributor.
And likely was out of a starting job had he returned to WVU.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #860 on: April 14, 2019, 12:38:35 PM »
This is a great point, and it's why with Moser (and a few others), I try to remember to qualify it by saying, "After the FF, he should have gone for any big-time job if that's what he wants."

Plenty of coaches are satisfied with where they are, and that doesn't mean they lack fire or competitiveness.

I think of Bob McKillop at Davidson. He had many opportunities to go elsewhere but he loves Davidson, he can win there, he has more money than he'll ever need, and the most pressure he faces is the pressure he puts on himself. It doesn't mean he's not highly competitive, or that he doesn't desperately want to win. It means he doesn't feel he has to chase some job that others perceive as the holy grail.

Mark Few is another. John Gagliardi, the old football coach at St. John's in Minnesota, was another. Plenty of other examples.

The coach of the HS team where I am an assistant is outstanding -- young, dynamic, astute, good with people, runs incredibly efficient practices, excellent X's and O's, etc -- and I am 100% certain he could be a college coach. But he loves teaching and coaching at the high school level, his wife is a teacher at the school, they live 5 minutes away. He's one of the most competitive individuals I've ever met, but he's content doing what he does.

Maybe Moser really loves it at Loyola and aspires only to do as well as he possibly can there without dreaming of going elsewhere. Only he and his circle of family/friends knows.

The best example of blooming where you are planted is Morgan Wootten. He was the high school coach at a rival of ours, DeMatha Catholic. Wootten was the National Prep Coach of the 20th Century and was inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame.

Wooden called him not the finest high school coach ever but the best at any level.

Wootten was approached numerous times for jobs at high majors but he always turned them down. I am not talking about the Shippensburgs either. NC State, Georgetown, Duke, Maryland.

Class guy who loved what he did where he was at. I hate to say it but in my many years at Georgetown Prep (an "elite east coast prep school" according to Diane Feinstein) not once did we come close to beating him. And we were good.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #861 on: April 14, 2019, 02:20:24 PM »
The best example of blooming where you are planted is Morgan Wootten. He was the high school coach at a rival of ours, DeMatha Catholic. Wootten was the National Prep Coach of the 20th Century and was inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame.

Wooden called him not the finest high school coach ever but the best at any level.

Wootten was approached numerous times for jobs at high majors but he always turned them down. I am not talking about the Shippensburgs either. NC State, Georgetown, Duke, Maryland.

Class guy who loved what he did where he was at. I hate to say it but in my many years at Georgetown Prep (an "elite east coast prep school" according to Diane Feinstein) not once did we come close to beating him. And we were good.

Just a slight correction.  You are right that he turned down multiple jobs, but he never turned down Maryland.  That's the only place he  wanted to coach but was never offered the job.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #862 on: April 14, 2019, 02:22:30 PM »
Are you involved with the St. John's coaching search?

I am not, but some friends are.

My point was “sources” aren’t always accurate, and often that’s intentional.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #863 on: April 14, 2019, 02:25:50 PM »

Sometimes they aren't. Sometimes they are. But talking about what's being reported is kind of what we do here. That and say ND sucks.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #865 on: April 14, 2019, 02:40:11 PM »
So he's great because it's a weak class of grad transfers?
I mean, OK. I was just judging by the actual merits of the player.
Anyhow, he's a 6 foot combo guard who's not a particular good shooter or distributor.
And likely was out of a starting job had he returned to WVU.

Well I call top 5 of a group of 200+ great. Oates can only get the grad transfers available now and he got one of the best.

Plus, its not a weak class of grad transfers. The reality is if you are a starter for a great team, you probably aren't grad transferring. So the best of the grad transfer group are usually bench players from great teams, and starters from not so great teams like Beetle Bolden.

I think you are also underestimating Beetle a bit. Kid can score quick, fast, and in a hurry. Leading scorer on the team despite only 21 minutes a game. Other than a clunker against Kansas State, he was putting up better numbers against Big 12 competition than he was in the non-conference. He was held back by poor teammates.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 02:45:10 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #866 on: April 14, 2019, 02:41:35 PM »
And again, it doesn't matter because there was 0% Wojo was going to be fired.

This, this, 1000 times this.

We have had dozens of threads started in which all the arguing took place on a hypothetical situation that had 0.00% chance of happening.

If one also includes Wojo deciding to leave, maybe it skyrocketed all the way up to a 5% possibility.

We might as well be arguing about, "What if Sacar sprouts a second nose"?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #868 on: April 14, 2019, 04:11:26 PM »

We might as well be arguing about, "What if Sacar sprouts a second nose"?

What if... he can smell crime

He NOSE the truth!
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #869 on: April 14, 2019, 07:16:35 PM »

Ok

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #870 on: April 14, 2019, 09:06:09 PM »
Will Wade was reinstated by LSU.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #871 on: April 14, 2019, 09:09:50 PM »
Will Wade was reinstated by LSU.

Haha awesome. Arizona, LSU, Auburn, etc. just making a complete mockery of the NCAA and daring them to act, knowing they won’t.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #872 on: April 14, 2019, 09:27:20 PM »

Morgan Wootten ... great call, Crash. Loved his job; it was all he needed to stoke his competitive fires and to give him a rewarding career.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #873 on: April 14, 2019, 10:04:32 PM »
Haha awesome. Arizona, LSU, Auburn, etc. just making a complete mockery of the NCAA and daring them to act, knowing they won’t.

At this point I don't see it as Mockery, it's the way of doing business and keeping the Golden Goose healthy. It is very advantageous to have a faceless NCAA therefore no individual does the heavy lifting.
ous
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #874 on: April 14, 2019, 10:15:40 PM »

They actually want to but the FBI is refusing to turn over the docs despite multiple requests from the newly revamped and expanded Basketball Enforcement Group.  When the entire investigation is over they can get the documents but for now, as long as it's ongoing, the FBI is refusing to turn them over or allow the NCAA to intervene.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”