[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2019 Coaching Carousel  (Read 201031 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: 2019 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #900 on: April 17, 2019, 04:40:19 PM »
St. John's is having a tumultuous search, to say the least.  Mike Repole just gave a pretty damning interview about the process.  It sounds like they are pivoting towards Ryan Odom, James Jones and/or Frank Haith.  Haith would be an awful hire.

Sounds like there is much disagreement between leadership at the school, administration and the athletic department.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/17/st-johns-booster-mike-repole-goes-scorched-earth-national-embarrassment/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

https://omny.fm/shows/mike-francesa/mike-francesa-with-mike-repole

Damn. I knew the President and GC were too involved and undermining the AD they just brought in, but to piss off your biggest donor too?  Not a good look.

Good perspective for people here who believe the sky is falling because two players are transferring.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 04:41:58 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #901 on: April 17, 2019, 04:42:07 PM »
https://nypost.com/2019/04/17/st-johns-booster-mike-repole-goes-scorched-earth-national-embarrassment/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

Damn. I knew the President and GC were too involved and undermining the AD they just brought in, but to piss off your biggest donor too?  Not a good look.

Hmmm...sounds familiar.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #902 on: April 17, 2019, 04:46:22 PM »
LSU just hired Texas A&M’s AD to be their new AD. Buzz loses his AD 3 weeks into the job. Looks like it’s time for A&M to give ole Larry Williams a call.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #903 on: April 17, 2019, 05:08:05 PM »
LSU just hired Texas A&M’s AD to be their new AD. Buzz loses his AD 3 weeks into the job. Looks like it’s time for A&M to give ole Larry Williams a call.

That is ironic to say the least. But Buzz didn't go to A&M because of the AD (the same cannot be said about his move to VT).

Knowing him, it probably triggered a bonus clause of his in some form. That or additional years added to his deal.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #904 on: April 17, 2019, 05:19:18 PM »
That is ironic to say the least. But Buzz didn't go to A&M because of the AD (the same cannot be said about his move to VT).

Knowing him, it probably triggered a bonus clause of his in some form. That or additional years added to his deal.

I suspect that Buzz just ran him off already. Wanted to establish who was really in charge of the athletic department. (Sorry Jimbo)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #905 on: April 17, 2019, 05:47:31 PM »
Repole doesn’t have a Derby horse this year. Of course he’s throwing his weight around a coaching search. Yawn.

There are people on Scoop who claim alienating Dick Strong led to where we are today. Surely it's not a "yawn" when a major benefactor of the program goes on the radio to blast his own program. At least Strong never did that on WTMJ.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #906 on: April 17, 2019, 07:17:02 PM »
Anyone listen to the Mike Francesa interview with St. John's billionaire benefactor Mike Repole? It's a great listen if you want to hear just how screwed up they are over there. He's calling for board members to resign, says the program is a national laughingstock, absolutely goes off about their hiring process.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #907 on: April 18, 2019, 08:35:12 AM »
Despite the emotional pull, Iona's Tim Cluess has become the third known coach to take himself out of the running for the vacant St. John's job.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26551429/iona-cluess-latest-turn-st-johns

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #908 on: April 18, 2019, 08:36:04 AM »
Anyone listen to the Mike Francesa interview with St. John's billionaire benefactor Mike Repole? It's a great listen if you want to hear just how screwed up they are over there. He's calling for board members to resign, says the program is a national laughingstock, absolutely goes off about their hiring process.

I missed the interview but heard big Mike taking calls on it afterwards.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #909 on: April 18, 2019, 08:41:36 AM »
I agree that MU is a significantly better job than SJU. But I’m not sure I agree that MU would have attracted a proportionately better candidate than SJU - and that’s not just based on timing, it’s more a matter of supply.

Look at all the hires that were made this cycle. Where would an MU hire likely slot in? I think the best case scenario would have been a mid major coach with significant experience like Musselman or maybe Oats. With all the competition though, there’s a really good chance they’d miss on Oats who was the only slam dunk mid major hire in that category IMHO. Even if MU had moved on right after the tournament, I think there’s a greater than 50% chance that search ends with Wardle.

Brian Wardle will NEVER be the head coach for the Marquette Men's basketball team.  Full stop.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #910 on: April 18, 2019, 09:28:39 AM »
Brian Wardle will NEVER be the head coach for the Marquette Men's basketball team.  Full stop.

As much as many would be adamantly opposed to such a hire, let's be real - Wardle would likely be a strong candidate.  Why?  He's an alum of the school, which fits the mission-centered objectives of our administrative leadership; he was had success (again, in the eyes of the individuals running the search) at prior stops; and he has head coaching experience (which would likely be a prerequisite if the current coaching staff is ultimately let go).

Again, and for the same reasons, someone like Porter Moser would also be strongly considered (despite the backlash that many on here would have).

Those expecting a Rick Pitino or Tony Bennett to walk through that door are fooling themselves.  Similarly, no head coach will be taking a paycut to come here either (so cross off other coaches like Nate Oats, Fred Hoiberg, etc. off too). 

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #911 on: April 18, 2019, 09:45:39 AM »
As much as many would be adamantly opposed to such a hire, let's be real - Wardle would likely be a strong candidate.  Why?  He's an alum of the school, which fits the mission-centered objectives of our administrative leadership; he was had success (again, in the eyes of the individuals running the search) at prior stops; and he has head coaching experience (which would likely be a prerequisite if the current coaching staff is ultimately let go).

Again, and for the same reasons, someone like Porter Moser would also be strongly considered (despite the backlash that many on here would have).

Those expecting a Rick Pitino or Tony Bennett to walk through that door are fooling themselves.  Similarly, no head coach will be taking a paycut to come here either (so cross off other coaches like Nate Oats, Fred Hoiberg, etc. off too).

Wardle's coaching success and experience will not be the reason why he will never be considered at MU.

His behavior at both current and previous career posts and resulting negative public exposure fit neither the mission centered objectives of our leadership, nor the desire for our coach to be a responsible public face of the program.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #912 on: April 18, 2019, 09:49:06 AM »
Then why did they grant him an interview when they hired Wojo?  That was after the UWGB incident.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #913 on: April 18, 2019, 09:54:15 AM »
RUMOR: Porter Moser turned down SJU but is said to be interested if MU job opens in a year. He lives in Wilmette and his kids go to Loyola Academy off 94 so they could finish HS without him moving.

Again, rumor through the grapevine.
We Are Marquette

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #914 on: April 18, 2019, 09:55:35 AM »
RUMOR: Porter Moser turned down SJU but is said to be interested if MU job opens in a year. He lives in Wilmette and his kids go to Loyola Academy off 94 so they could finish HS without him moving.

He can be interested all he wants
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #915 on: April 18, 2019, 09:57:35 AM »

I have little doubt he'd be interested. MU is a major step up from Loyola. Would MU be interested? No clue.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #916 on: April 18, 2019, 10:02:14 AM »

That’s nice.  It’s Tony Bennett’s job
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #917 on: April 18, 2019, 10:26:56 AM »
He can be interested all he wants
I agree with this analysis
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #918 on: April 18, 2019, 10:39:34 AM »

And Kelvin Sampson is plan B.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #919 on: April 18, 2019, 10:40:20 AM »
And Kelvin Sampson is plan B.

I’d like to think Chris Beard is plan B
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #920 on: April 18, 2019, 10:43:52 AM »
I missed the interview but heard big Mike taking calls on it afterwards.

Here's the link:

Repole basically just dumps gasoline on the St John's program & starts up the blowtorch. Says he told Mullen not to take the job because he likes him, calls for the president & board members to be fired, says it's a national laughingstock, well worth the 20 minutes if you enjoy schadenfreude.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #921 on: April 18, 2019, 11:46:25 AM »

STOP.  Tony Bennett is never ever walking through the door as MU's head coach.  Ever.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #922 on: April 18, 2019, 11:49:54 AM »
Here's the link:

Repole basically just dumps gasoline on the St John's program & starts up the blowtorch. Says he told Mullen not to take the job because he likes him, calls for the president & board members to be fired, says it's a national laughingstock, well worth the 20 minutes if you enjoy schadenfreude.

The Johnnies have messed this up royally, but ...
1. 98+ percent of the nation is unaware that St. John's has a coaching opening, much less how poorly the search has been handled.
2. Firing a college president over a mishandled search for a basketball coach says quite a bit about one's priorities.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #923 on: April 18, 2019, 12:18:29 PM »

If you transfer back to the school you came from, do you have to sit out a year in residency again?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #924 on: April 18, 2019, 04:23:16 PM »

Bad Soderburg has been sleeping in front of The Al begging for the job the last three times it was open. He, and Moser, may be interested but they have about the same chance of getting the job as any of us do.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

feedback