[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2019 Coaching Carousel  (Read 201360 times)

Pakuni

• All American
2019 Coaching Carousel
« on: March 12, 2019, 05:25:14 PM »
Billy Kennedy out at Texas A&M, according to the Houston Chronicle.
Any idea who might be a candidate there?

https://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/article/Texas-A-M-s-Billy-Kennedy-won-t-be-back-13683278.php

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: 2019 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 05:38:39 PM »
Buzz to A&M seems.....possible.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 05:52:37 PM »
Billy Kennedy out at Texas A&M, according to the Houston Chronicle.
Any idea who might be a candidate there?

https://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/article/Texas-A-M-s-Billy-Kennedy-won-t-be-back-13683278.php

Does the Buzz’s Bunch segment air when VT is announced in the bracket or when they breakdown the game?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 06:21:08 PM »
It will be fun to watch MU's previous two head coaches got head-to-head in Texas.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 06:26:20 PM by Pakuni »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 06:42:02 PM »
If Arizona and Kansas lose their head coaches, then the fun really begins.

What assistant coach we looking to hire if Wojo leaves....who is on the short list?  I hear the assistant out of _______ is awesome.

For Kennedy, I hope he is able to continue to fight Parkinson's to his best ability. Dreadful disease we are dealing with at the moment, too. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 08:57:03 PM »

What assistant coach we looking to hire if Wojo leaves....who is on the short list?  I hear the assistant out of _______ is awesome.

For Kennedy, I hope he is able to continue to fight Parkinson's to his best ability. Dreadful disease we are dealing with at the moment, too.

that's right jam man-forgot about that-hoping good things- sending prayers out west to ya!

wondering if buzz wants to leave ACC.  he could own VT if he continues to win
don't...don't don't don't don't

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 09:02:18 PM »

I dont think to many high majors have wojo on their radar with a career of .589 with a 0-1 tournament record and a monumental collapse from #10 to #23 in two weeks.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 09:05:01 PM »
  that's right jam man-forgot about that-hoping good things- sending prayers out west to ya!

Surgery Thursday, prep yesterday.  Thanks for well wishes for her.

In my opinion Va Tech can never be better long haul over UNC, Duke, and a few others. Football king there. SEC has Kentucky and what seems like a revolving door of teams that cycle in and out.  I would be surprised if he doesn’t go to Texas and the SEC
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 08:09:09 AM »

Not unless he changes his name to Frank Beamer

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 08:16:10 AM »
 CBS is reporting that Texas A&M is going to part ways with coach Billy Kennedy and is going to make a hard run at Virginia Tech’s Buzz Williams.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 08:41:14 AM »
CBS is reporting that Texas A&M is going to part ways with coach Billy Kennedy and is going to make a hard run at Virginia Tech’s Buzz Williams.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/report-texas-a-m-coach-billy-kennedy-will-not-return-to-the-aggies-next-season/?fbclid=IwAR0gUevGe8vTuSDukDBs8YF6pP-gVyquX8RSy0hXoDoSYKvQycQET-nF7NQ

The Chronicle reports that Virginia Tech coach Buzz Williams, a Texas native and former A&M assistant, is expected to be a top target. Williams has been the subject of coaching searches in previous years, but has remained with the Hokies since taking the job in 2014. He's expected to lead Virginia Tech to the NCAA Tournament for a third consecutive season.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 08:47:37 AM »
Did I miss something with Texas A&M?  They were in the Sweet 16 a year ago, and have made the Sweet 16 twice in the past 4 seasons.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 08:49:06 AM »

If these jobs come open they are probably coming open with a lot of sanctions attached. May need to find someone who is more off the radar or who has stepped away from the college game like Kentucky did with Pitino.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 08:51:28 AM »

If these jobs come open they are probably coming open with a lot of sanctions attached. May need to find someone who is more off the radar or who has stepped away from the college game like Kentucky did with Pitino.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 09:41:37 AM »
Did I miss something with Texas A&M?  They were in the Sweet 16 a year ago, and have made the Sweet 16 twice in the past 4 seasons.

wades, I thought it was odd that the school was dumping Kennedy now, too.

However, I just read the Chronicle article, and it cited not only this dumpster-fire of a season there but the fact that the arena is less than half-full most games. Kennedy was quoted as saying that even when the team was ranked high last year, there were too few fans in the seats.

Maybe the administration believes that a more dynamic personality like Buzz would help draw fans? Seems unfair to Kennedy, but that's life in the biz.

I always have chuckled at the various "Buzz to ... " rumors over the years, but really, Buzz to Texas A&M makes quite a bit of sense.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 09:45:05 AM »
wades, I thought it was odd that the school was dumping Kennedy now, too.

However, I just read the Chronicle article, and it cited not only this dumpster-fire of a season there but the fact that the arena is less than half-full most games. Kennedy was quoted as saying that even when the team was ranked high last year, there were too few fans in the seats.

Maybe the administration believes that a more dynamic personality like Buzz would help draw fans? Seems unfair to Kennedy, but that's life in the biz.

I always have chuckled at the various "Buzz to ... " rumors over the years, but really, Buzz to Texas A&M makes quite a bit of sense.

He does seem to generate a lot of, ummmm, buzz around a program....

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 09:47:14 AM »

Potentially, but coaches will still gravitate there as they back up the brinks truck.  It buys the new coach extra time, too. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 09:50:32 AM »
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/report-texas-a-m-coach-billy-kennedy-will-not-return-to-the-aggies-next-season/?fbclid=IwAR0gUevGe8vTuSDukDBs8YF6pP-gVyquX8RSy0hXoDoSYKvQycQET-nF7NQ

The Chronicle reports that Virginia Tech coach Buzz Williams, a Texas native and former A&M assistant, is expected to be a top target. Williams has been the subject of coaching searches in previous years, but has remained with the Hokies since taking the job in 2014. He's expected to lead Virginia Tech to the NCAA Tournament for a third consecutive season.

Yeah, but how many of those rumors were started by someone other than Buzz?
Have some patience, FFS.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2019, 09:54:10 AM »
Yeah, but how many of those rumors were started by someone other than Buzz?

Plenty. They were started by Buzz’s associates.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2019, 09:55:49 AM »
Reminder: Texas A&M and Marquette are in the same tournament next year.  TAMUscoop and MUscoop  may not survive. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 10:03:22 AM »
If you really want to get into conspiracy theories, Isaac Chew resigned as an assistant coach at A&M back in January to "spend time with his family."  Maybe Buzz had already given indications, perhaps even through Chew himself, that he would take the deal and hire back Chew who could now recruit almost unfettered.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 10:07:48 AM »
Plenty. They were started by Buzz’s associates.

Buzz had friends in the media to speculate on his behalf.

TC had no friends so he had to "leak" BS by himself. Remember when he was "offered" by Illinois? LOL

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 10:12:12 AM »
Buzz had friends in the media to speculate on his behalf.

TC had no friends so he had to "leak" BS by himself. Remember when he was "offered" by Illinois? LOL

TC didn’t have friends, let alone in the media?

This is morning humor, right?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 10:26:35 AM »

The impression I have gotten is that there are some similarities to Ohio State's parting with Thad Matta. There's a belief that Kennedy's health keeps him from being as successful as he could be.

They are right about the fan support though. No one cares about basketball here. All football and baseball.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 10:29:48 AM »
TC didn’t have friends, let alone in the media?

This is morning humor, right?
Yeah.  Whatever folks may think of TC, he is certainly not shy.

feedback