'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2019 Coaching Carousel  (Read 199205 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: 2019 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2019, 02:57:19 PM »
Damn Billy, for someone that joined the board in April 2016, that sure is a detailed narrative of how it played out! How were you tracking all of that at the time?

I know, there's no other way for someone, let alone an MU alumnus, to know what goes on in coaching circles than the read MUScoop.  I guess I just got lucky.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2019, 03:00:05 PM »
From the VT board...

His evaluation misses plus personality conflicts with his staff put him in a precarious position recruiting-wise for the next several seasons. VT will be facing at least two rebuilding seasons after this one whether or not Buzz leaves.

We'd much rather collect a modest buyout and shop for a new coach in 2019 that might actually come with some touted recruits than cross our fingers that Buzz rebuilds his staff and recruiting from their current state (ashes) while praying he doesn't fail, because his contract makes him unfireable.

When we hired Buzz, we had to sign away the farm re: contract and salary to get a NCAAT-caliber coach. Thanks to Buzz' success, we won't have to do that for the next coach. Buzz has laid the groundwork for us to make a 'normal' ACC hire (i.e. on par with how NCSU/Clemson/Miami/FSU/etc typically hire).

And Buzz would be VERY wise to cash out after a likely 3rd-consecutive NCAAT season, because VT is going to take a major step back after this season. And Buzz isn't even positioned to recruit his way out the mess, thanks to his eval/staff missteps. At a new school he can rebuild his staff from scratch, ride some 'new-hire' enthusiasm on the recruiting trail, and learn from his mistakes.

If Vtech bows out early we could see him on CBS with his Aggie gear telling us how wonderful the BIG XII is and that he could not recruit in the ACC.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2019, 03:08:12 PM »

If Vtech bows out early we could see him on CBS with his Aggie gear telling us how wonderful the BIG XII is and that he could not recruit in the ACC.

Will A&M use Scott Monarch's picture on their website too?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2019, 03:10:53 PM »

A&M would fire him if he started proclaiming how good the Big 12 is.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2019, 03:14:00 PM »
TAMU will busy...

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2019, 03:14:55 PM »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2019, 03:17:49 PM »

Your heart was in the right place.....

But A&M is in the SEC now.  Second largest athletic budget in all the NCAA
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2019, 03:49:12 PM »
When I first heard this earlier today, Buzz to TAMU made sense.

Now it makes incredible sense.

He's got nothing coming back to VT ... he has reached his ceiling there - it will never be a perennial top-4 ACC program ... he's a Texan ... TAMU will pay him more ... he's a gypsy.

I am not a Buzz hater. I don't know nuthin' about the character issues except what I read here. (One Scooper promised to reveal all and still hasn't done so, to my knowledge.) The way he left, and the immediate aftermath, he was a turd, but I loved watching Buzz's first 5 MU teams play. Brought in two of my all-time faves in Jae and Jimmy, and stole Vander from F%cky.  His sixth season might have been my most frustrating in 40 years of Marquette fandom, but his body of work was strong. Although I have been bullish on Wojo from the get-go, he isn't the coach Buzz is, not yet anyway.

So I have nothing against Buzz. I hope he goes to TAMU and enjoys a few great years there before he bolts for someplace else.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2019, 03:55:27 PM »
Your heart was in the right place.....

But A&M is in the SEC now.  Second largest athletic budget in all the NCAA

With all the Conference musical chairs and not a college football fan thanks for the correction.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2019, 03:59:45 PM »
When I first heard this earlier today, Buzz to TAMU made sense.

Now it makes incredible sense.

He's got nothing coming back to VT ... he has reached his ceiling there - it will never be a perennial top-4 ACC program ... he's a Texan ... TAMU will pay him more ... he's a gypsy.

I am not a Buzz hater. I don't know nuthin' about the character issues except what I read here. (One Scooper promised to reveal all and still hasn't done so, to my knowledge.) The way he left, and the immediate aftermath, he was a turd, but I loved watching Buzz's first 5 MU teams play. Brought in two of my all-time faves in Jae and Jimmy, and stole Vander from F%cky.  His sixth season might have been my most frustrating in 40 years of Marquette fandom, but his body of work was strong. Although I have been bullish on Wojo from the get-go, he isn't the coach Buzz is, not yet anyway.

So I have nothing against Buzz. I hope he goes to TAMU and enjoys a few great years there before he bolts for someplace else.

..but does Buzz hate MU? I hope not. After all we gave him a shot at being a Major D1 coach.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2019, 04:01:20 PM »
..but does Buzz hate MU? I hope not. After all we gave him a shot at being a Major D1 coach.

I don't know, and I guess I don't really care. He doesn't affect us one iota.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2019, 05:14:40 PM »
The level of hate for buzz on this forum is so unwarranted lol.

On the court? Yes.  Off the court? Maybe not.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2019, 05:18:29 PM »
TAMU will busy...

Ha! I do like to keep busy
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2019, 07:14:33 PM »
I’m targeting Nate Oats hard if I’m a high major in need of an upgrade. I think he’s the goods.

Would have figured the same, until...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26265947/buffalo-agrees-5-year-extension-oats

Five year extension @ $837K/yr.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2019, 09:50:56 PM »
I was at the ACC tourney this afternoon. After Fla State hit the tying 3 in the closing seconds, I ran to the men's room before OT.

Lots of angry VaTech fans in line beyotching about Buzz not ordering his guys to foul. I tried to explain that the guy had an incredibly quick release after catching the inbound pass and there wasn't time to foul him, but they wanted none of it.

After the game, as I walked out of the Spectrum Center, I heard one guy say, "Texas A&M can have him."

Funny stuff.

Related: IMHO, A&M would be lucky to get him.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2019, 10:32:29 PM »
Same exact garbage. Gonna leave VaTech with absolutely nothing for the next few years.

Younger Larry Brown is a pretty funny comparison, but pretty accurate as well.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2019, 10:47:08 PM »
After the game, as I walked out of the Spectrum Center, I heard one guy say, "Texas A&M can have him”

“I’ll stay as long as they’ll have me.”
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 10:52:28 PM by TallTitan34 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2019, 10:47:18 PM »
Shaka's 4 years in Texas ...

20-13 NCAA first round loss

11-22

19-15 NCAA first round loss

16-16

Tough being a genius nowadays.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2019, 10:48:19 PM »
Would have figured the same, until...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26265947/buffalo-agrees-5-year-extension-oats

Five year extension @ $837K/yr.

As long as the Buffalo assistants are available for us to hire for a possible vacancy, we should be fine.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2019, 10:49:10 PM »
I was at the ACC tourney this afternoon. After Fla State hit the tying 3 in the closing seconds, I ran to the men's room before OT.

I see what you did there....clever.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2019, 10:52:24 PM »
Washington State parting ways with men’s basketball coach Ernie Kent
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2019, 10:57:35 PM »
Same exact garbage. Gonna leave VaTech with absolutely nothing for the next few years.

That is an interesting comparison. He loves being the new guy with everyone fawning all over him...but as soon as fans begin to question him, he pouts, burns a few bridges, and heads outta Dodge.

He may very well end his career with plenty of wins...and lots of former homes.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2019, 11:05:02 PM »

Larry Brown cheated his ass off....at home and in basketball. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2019, 11:05:28 PM »
Washington State has to be the worst power conference job out there.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2019, 11:12:56 PM »
Washington State has to be the worst power conference job out there.

It's up there Dish, no question, but some guys have had success for a brief stint there.  Tony Bennett, George Raveling, Kelvin Sampson.

It has to be in the top 5 worst, might be number 1.  Oregon State not much better, even if Ralph Miller had it going on there for many years.  Cal and Nebraska in there somewhere.   

feedback