[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2019 Coaching Carousel  (Read 201621 times)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Re: 2019 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2019, 11:01:33 AM »
I would be surprised if Buzz left VT.  There's no drama there right now and he is beloved to a level that one would argue is better than the current football head coach (obviously not Beamer).  He got carte blanche in his contract deal (the same rollover clause - always under a five-year deal), and has been given all the resources he has asked for in order to be successful.  He has elevated VT Basketball to the top level of the ACC - and, soon, Boeheim, Coach K and Roy Williams will all be stepping down, allowing him to be at the very top of the coaching ranks within, arguably, the best basketball conference in the country. 

What, exactly, would A&M be able to offer Buzz that VT isn't already providing him?  Buzz can essentially leave VT in a place where he is the face and recognized as the best coach in program history (where at a place at Marquette, you joined by a collection of outstanding coaches).  Unless the offer him a Jimbo Fisher-sized deal, I guess I just don't see the attraction through his lens. 

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 11:11:06 AM »
What, exactly, would A&M be able to offer Buzz that VT isn't already providing him? 

Home.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2019, 11:16:40 AM »
Home.

I get that.  But Buzz could have gone "home" to Texas in 2015; A&M in 2011 (after a Sweet 16); Oklahoma in 2011 (after a Sweet 16); OK State in 2016 or 2017; I know SMU reached out to him in 2012, but that was never a serious opportunity for him IMO. 

I don't know.  I guess I just don't see a reason for Buzz to currently "mess with (his) happy". 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2019, 11:24:31 AM »
He has elevated VT Basketball to the top level of the ACC -

Well not really.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2019, 11:28:05 AM »
I would be surprised if Buzz left VT.  There's no drama there right now and he is beloved to a level that one would argue is better than the current football head coach (obviously not Beamer).  He got carte blanche in his contract deal (the same rollover clause - always under a five-year deal), and has been given all the resources he has asked for in order to be successful.  He has elevated VT Basketball to the top level of the ACC - and, soon, Boeheim, Coach K and Roy Williams will all be stepping down, allowing him to be at the very top of the coaching ranks within, arguably, the best basketball conference in the country. 

What, exactly, would A&M be able to offer Buzz that VT isn't already providing him?  Buzz can essentially leave VT in a place where he is the face and recognized as the best coach in program history (where at a place at Marquette, you joined by a collection of outstanding coaches).  Unless the offer him a Jimbo Fisher-sized deal, I guess I just don't see the attraction through his lens.

A&M has lots more money to burn, better recruiting territory and, as has been mentioned, it's home for Buzz.
Oh, and College Station > Blacksburg.
Buzz was never a serious candidate for Texas. They wanted Shaka or Gregg Marshall.

Also, during Buzz's tenure, VaTech has finished 15th, 7th, 7th, 7th and 5th in the ACC. Not exactly the "top level" of the conference.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2019, 11:38:32 AM »
Buzz had friends in the media to speculate on his behalf.

TC had no friends so he had to "leak" BS by himself. Remember when he was "offered" by Illinois? LOL

TC had lengthy conversations with Illinois, and UCLA that year. MU wasn't as attractive of a job at the time due to CUSA and plenty of schools reached out to him.

In coaches, searches, there may not be an official "offer" but negotiations happen to determine if the coach would take the job and if the offer is going to take place.
 TC got that far with Illinois before saying "thanks but no thanks" no matter what the Illinois spin was.  Like they're going to say "yeah, he turned us down and Bruce Weber was our first choice all along." It's not like recruiting where coaches offer kids, many of whom are just out collecting offers from schools they are not interested in attending (there was a great article on former #1 QB recruit, Jake Heaps, whose mother would write to schools just to get them to offer a scholarship so they could publicize how many offers the kid had). 

Buzz would have friends leak on message boards (e.g. Oklahoma and Arkansas) saying he was in negotiations with that school. That got him more leeway with MU to redo his contact, at least until Larry came aboard and saw through the BS.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2019, 11:48:36 AM »
Also, during Buzz's tenure, VaTech has finished 15th, 7th, 7th, 7th and 5th in the ACC. Not exactly the "top level" of the conference.

This, the ceiling for VT is more approaching the Bobby Cremins' teams at GT than Duke, NC, Cuse.  VT will always be second within its own state.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2019, 12:09:13 PM »

This isn't a bad accounting of the situation, but for me it misses Buzz's motivations and skill set (and for that matter, why lamenting his relatively short stay at MU misses the point). 

Buzz doesn't make 10 year plans. He doesn't slowly and incrementally build programs, build relationships, and position his programs on stable foundations. He's not looking at long term prospects of coaching turnover.  He comes in, burns hot and successfully, and then leaves. His personality is such that there will always be 1,000,000 reasons for the last part, some his fault, others not, and most a little of both. In most places, like at MU, his results on the court will leave the fanbase thinking of what might have been.  He's good at what he does. But wanting that particular type of ex back is fools gold, because its just not in the cards for him to ever root down and remain in one place very long. I think he's a younger Larry Brown.

WindyCityGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2019, 12:15:19 PM »
I’m targeting Nate Oats hard if I’m a high major in need of an upgrade. I think he’s the goods.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2019, 12:16:30 PM »
A&M has lots more money to burn, better recruiting territory and, as has been mentioned, it's home for Buzz.
Oh, and College Station > Blacksburg.
Buzz was never a serious candidate for Texas. They wanted Shaka or Gregg Marshall.

Additionally:

Alexander-Walker NBA
Justin Robinson Senior
Ahmed Hill Senior
Ty Outlaw Senior

Next year will be a down year. He knows when to hold 'em, knows when to fold 'em. He gowne

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2019, 12:21:13 PM »
TC had lengthy conversations with Illinois, and UCLA that year. MU wasn't as attractive of a job at the time due to CUSA and plenty of schools reached out to him.

In coaches, searches, there may not be an official "offer" but negotiations happen to determine if the coach would take the job and if the offer is going to take place.
 TC got that far with Illinois before saying "thanks but no thanks" no matter what the Illinois spin was.  Like they're going to say "yeah, he turned us down and Bruce Weber was our first choice all along." It's not like recruiting where coaches offer kids, many of whom are just out collecting offers from schools they are not interested in attending (there was a great article on former #1 QB recruit, Jake Heaps, whose mother would write to schools just to get them to offer a scholarship so they could publicize how many offers the kid had). 

Buzz would have friends leak on message boards (e.g. Oklahoma and Arkansas) saying he was in negotiations with that school. That got him more leeway with MU to redo his contact, at least until Larry came aboard and saw through the BS.

Damn Billy, for someone that joined the board in April 2016, that sure is a detailed narrative of how it played out! How were you tracking all of that at the time?

Charlotte Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2019, 12:26:06 PM »
Damn Billy, for someone that joined the board in April 2016, that sure is a detailed narrative of how it played out! How were you tracking all of that at the time?
There have been rumblings of Buzz's unhappiness /restlessness at Vtech for over a year.   This leak is his - he gone

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2019, 12:31:50 PM »
There have been rumblings of Buzz's unhappiness /restlessness at Vtech for over a year.   This leak is his - he gone

I would lean towards agreeing, that has nothing to do with the post you quoted though

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2019, 12:34:03 PM »

And what are those?  Not saying you're wrong, but it looks like he has gotten everything he has asked for there.  Babcock increased the basketball budget, gave him all of his contract demands (which Buzz wrote), gave him an extension, etc.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2019, 01:01:16 PM »
Before Creen brought him to MU, Buzz' biggest name supporter was Billy Gillispie, a long time Texas HS coach who later handled TAMU and UK...then flamed out. Buzz was his assistant at TAMU. The TAMU job was a key  career break upward for Buzz . My guess is Buzz remains fond of TAMU, and they of him.

I have no idea if he is considering leaving his success at VT, but Buzz is the epitome of being an Aggie. To a guy like Buzz TAMU would be the dream job, ...facilities, money, recruiting, SEC 
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2019, 01:06:21 PM »
The level of hate for buzz on this forum is so unwarranted lol.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2019, 01:19:22 PM »
And what are those?  Not saying you're wrong, but it looks like he has gotten everything he has asked for there.  Babcock increased the basketball budget, gave him all of his contract demands (which Buzz wrote), gave him an extension, etc.

MU bent over backwards for Bazz year after year.  They finally put their foot in the ground one time and he was gone faster than Tanned Tommy could get "It's Indiana, It's Indiana" out of his mouth.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Charlotte Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2019, 01:38:55 PM »
https://virginiatech.sportswar.com/mid/10499853/board/vtbasketball/

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2019, 02:28:08 PM »

From the VT board...

His evaluation misses plus personality conflicts with his staff put him in a precarious position recruiting-wise for the next several seasons. VT will be facing at least two rebuilding seasons after this one whether or not Buzz leaves.

We'd much rather collect a modest buyout and shop for a new coach in 2019 that might actually come with some touted recruits than cross our fingers that Buzz rebuilds his staff and recruiting from their current state (ashes) while praying he doesn't fail, because his contract makes him unfireable.

When we hired Buzz, we had to sign away the farm re: contract and salary to get a NCAAT-caliber coach. Thanks to Buzz' success, we won't have to do that for the next coach. Buzz has laid the groundwork for us to make a 'normal' ACC hire (i.e. on par with how NCSU/Clemson/Miami/FSU/etc typically hire).

And Buzz would be VERY wise to cash out after a likely 3rd-consecutive NCAAT season, because VT is going to take a major step back after this season. And Buzz isn't even positioned to recruit his way out the mess, thanks to his eval/staff missteps. At a new school he can rebuild his staff from scratch, ride some 'new-hire' enthusiasm on the recruiting trail, and learn from his mistakes.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2019, 02:29:39 PM »
https://virginiatech.sportswar.com/mid/10499853/board/vtbasketball/

from Hokiescoop:

This is the worst case scenario. The timing is bad. Buzz’s buyout is only about $1m right now (if I’m not mistaken), and the school pursuing him has a ton of resources and is in a state it’s no secret Buzz is interested in.

He flies a Texas flag at his home. If Whit lets him interviews he is gone. Buzz has ties to Texas and has indicated throughout his career his love for Texas and he has always been about the Benjamins. He complained at Marquette about his salary and always told them he was being pursued by other big name programs. He has done the same thing at Tech so much so that he is labeled as a complainer. A great coach and a master of Xs and Os but a very needy person. Time to start the search for a new coach

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2019, 02:39:30 PM »
Sounds like this shaped up perfectly for Buzz from a timing perspective. Also, sounds like a lot of the conversation here in his last season.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2019, 02:43:36 PM »
I get that.  But Buzz could have gone "home" to Texas in 2015; A&M in 2011 (after a Sweet 16); Oklahoma in 2011 (after a Sweet 16); OK State in 2016 or 2017; I know SMU reached out to him in 2012, but that was never a serious opportunity for him IMO. 

I don't know.  I guess I just don't see a reason for Buzz to currently "mess with (his) happy".

Those programs didn’t want him then so how could he go home?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2019, 02:46:39 PM »
From the VT board...

His evaluation misses plus personality conflicts with his staff put him in a precarious position recruiting-wise for the next several seasons. VT will be facing at least two rebuilding seasons after this one whether or not Buzz leaves.

We'd much rather collect a modest buyout and shop for a new coach in 2019 that might actually come with some touted recruits than cross our fingers that Buzz rebuilds his staff and recruiting from their current state (ashes) while praying he doesn't fail, because his contract makes him unfireable.

When we hired Buzz, we had to sign away the farm re: contract and salary to get a NCAAT-caliber coach. Thanks to Buzz' success, we won't have to do that for the next coach. Buzz has laid the groundwork for us to make a 'normal' ACC hire (i.e. on par with how NCSU/Clemson/Miami/FSU/etc typically hire).

And Buzz would be VERY wise to cash out after a likely 3rd-consecutive NCAAT season, because VT is going to take a major step back after this season. And Buzz isn't even positioned to recruit his way out the mess, thanks to his eval/staff missteps. At a new school he can rebuild his staff from scratch, ride some 'new-hire' enthusiasm on the recruiting trail, and learn from his mistakes.

Sounds so so so similar.....
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2019, 02:47:15 PM »
The level of hate for buzz on this forum is so unwarranted lol.

Very good coach, his character was revealed....

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2019, 02:49:06 PM »

Yeah, tell us Billy.....you know EFR thinks you and I are the same person....makes me chuckle how wrong they are, but play along as they continue to chase their tails.