[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2019 Coaching Carousel  (Read 201198 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: 2019 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #825 on: April 13, 2019, 08:02:58 PM »
I can see Porter going to Creighton if Daddy McBuckets gets FBIed

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #826 on: April 13, 2019, 08:04:15 PM »
Porter just bought Tom Ricketts's house so I don't think he is hurting.

Yeah.  The guy could never make another NCAA Tournament and he'll have a job at LUC for as long as he wants.  I can understand why he wouldn't jump to a high major program where expectations are higher than what the program is actually able to achieve.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #827 on: April 13, 2019, 08:08:37 PM »
Adam Zagoria tweeted it out. He's pretty well established & tied in among northeast college basketball programs.

Zach Braziller also reported the same, he covers NYC college basketball.

“According to a source.”  I had one coach friend who was reported to be a finalist for a job (including by Zagoria). He wasn’t, not even a place he had interest in, didn’t interview. His agent laughed when I brought it up and admitted to being the “source” to get his client a raise. One search I was out the school’s best reporter assumed it was a high profile individual and reported them as a candidate when it was actually someone else with the same first name.

It seems it will be Cluess or someone with Duke ties. The next coach there has to have connections in NYC. That isn’t Moser.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #828 on: April 13, 2019, 08:11:56 PM »
“According to a source.”  I had one coach friend who was reported to be a finalist for a job (including by Zagoria). He wasn’t, not even a place he had interest in, didn’t interview. His agent laughed when I brought it up and admitted to being the “source” to get his client a raise. One search I was out the school’s best reporter assumed it was a high profile individual and reported them as a candidate when it was actually someone else with the same first name.

It seems it will be Cluess or someone with Duke ties. The next coach there has to have connections in NYC. That isn’t Moser.

Was it Tom crean ?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #829 on: April 13, 2019, 08:14:23 PM »

Well, if a coach's agent tells a reporter they're interviewing for/interested in a specific job, I'd say it's pretty fair for the reporter to...report that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #830 on: April 13, 2019, 09:04:34 PM »

Wow, you have friends who are college coaches, and you’ve even been a part of coaching searches?!  As Al Pacino’s character Rick Roma from Glengarry Glen Ross might’ve said, “Ohhh, what a cool guy you are!”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #831 on: April 13, 2019, 09:28:37 PM »

Are you involved with the St. John's coaching search?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #832 on: April 13, 2019, 11:41:55 PM »
Wow, you have friends who are college coaches, and you’ve even been a part of coaching searches?!  As Al Pacino’s character Rick Roma from Glengarry Glen Ross might’ve said, “Ohhh, what a cool guy you are!”

Instead of acting that way, maybe we could all be nice and perhaps learn a thing or two from his experiences.  I'm guessing 99.999% of people here have never taken part in a NCAA Div I coaching search.  But whatever...
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #833 on: April 14, 2019, 12:28:51 AM »
Instead of acting that way, maybe we could all be nice and perhaps learn a thing or two from his experiences.  I'm guessing 99.999% of people here have never taken part in a NCAA Div I coaching search.  But whatever...

Only cheeks and Billy hoyle have though, aina?

Lemme guess....warrior dad is a sports agent in real life?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #834 on: April 14, 2019, 12:38:07 AM »
Only cheeks and Billy hoyle have though, aina?

Lemme guess....warrior dad is a sports agent in real life?

Sigh.  Suit yourself. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #835 on: April 14, 2019, 02:23:47 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #836 on: April 14, 2019, 05:39:04 AM »
Yeah.  The guy could never make another NCAA Tournament and he'll have a job at LUC for as long as he wants.  I can understand why he wouldn't jump to a high major program where expectations are higher than what the program is actually able to achieve.

This is a great point, and it's why with Moser (and a few others), I try to remember to qualify it by saying, "After the FF, he should have gone for any big-time job if that's what he wants."

Plenty of coaches are satisfied with where they are, and that doesn't mean they lack fire or competitiveness.

I think of Bob McKillop at Davidson. He had many opportunities to go elsewhere but he loves Davidson, he can win there, he has more money than he'll ever need, and the most pressure he faces is the pressure he puts on himself. It doesn't mean he's not highly competitive, or that he doesn't desperately want to win. It means he doesn't feel he has to chase some job that others perceive as the holy grail.

Mark Few is another. John Gagliardi, the old football coach at St. John's in Minnesota, was another. Plenty of other examples.

The coach of the HS team where I am an assistant is outstanding -- young, dynamic, astute, good with people, runs incredibly efficient practices, excellent X's and O's, etc -- and I am 100% certain he could be a college coach. But he loves teaching and coaching at the high school level, his wife is a teacher at the school, they live 5 minutes away. He's one of the most competitive individuals I've ever met, but he's content doing what he does.

Maybe Moser really loves it at Loyola and aspires only to do as well as he possibly can there without dreaming of going elsewhere. Only he and his circle of family/friends knows.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #837 on: April 14, 2019, 07:03:41 AM »
To those who don't think losing a coach is a huge deal, just look at Virginia Tech. 

- They graduate 3 starters.

- 3 holdovers decide to transfer.

- 3 out of 4 recruits (2 following Buzz) opt out and there's a very good chance their final signee asks for his release. 

- It gets worse if they lose their top scorer to the NBA draft.

- As a bonus, top Canadian 2019 recruit Cassius McNielly, thought to be leaning to Tech, committed to Texas A&M where he'll be reunited with his uncle Jamie. 

- Now, what does their big man and second leading scorer do?
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

muguru

• All American
« Reply #838 on: April 14, 2019, 07:08:35 AM »
To those who don't think losing a coach is a huge deal, just look at Virginia Tech. 

- They graduate 3 starters.

- 3 holdovers decide to transfer.

- 3 out of 4 recruits (2 following Buzz) opt out and there's a very good chance their final signee asks for his release. 

- It gets worse if they lose their top scorer to the NBA draft.

- As a bonus, top Canadian 2019 recruit Cassius McNielly, thought to be leaning to Tech, committed to Texas A&M where he'll be reunited with his uncle Jamie. 

- Now, what does their big man and second leading scorer do?

However, on the flip side of that Ted, all of Alabama's key players had entered the transfer portal after Avery Johnson was let go...then they hired Nate Oates, and one by one they all decided to come back. That's what I think people don't get...just because a Coach leaves/gets fired it does NOT automatically mean massive overhaul...it all depends on the Coach you bring in...and for continuities sake it doesn't always have to be an assistant getting hired...Alabama is a perfect example of that, but not the only one through the years either.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #839 on: April 14, 2019, 07:12:25 AM »
However, on the flip side of that Ted, all of Alabama's key players had entered the transfer portal after Avery Johnson was let go...then they hired Nate Oates, and one by one they all decided to come back. That's what I think people don't get...just because a Coach leaves/gets fired it does NOT automatically mean massive overhaul...it all depends on the Coach you bring in...and for continuities sake it doesn't always have to be an assistant getting hired...Alabama is a perfect example of that, but not the only one through the years either.

Yeah for some reason this only happens to Buzz.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #840 on: April 14, 2019, 07:39:58 AM »

Of the five Alabama players who entered the transfer portal, only two have withdrawn and are returning to Bama. Another player declared for the draft and may or may not return.
But don't let facts get in the way.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #841 on: April 14, 2019, 08:37:15 AM »

False

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #842 on: April 14, 2019, 08:39:13 AM »
Crash...I got him Final Four tix in New Orleans, not Disneyland tix.  Otherwise nicely done, I laughed. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #843 on: April 14, 2019, 08:45:18 AM »
Of the five Alabama players who entered the transfer portal, only two have withdrawn and are returning to Bama. Another player declared for the draft and may or may not return.
But don't let facts get in the way.

And...here's another effect of bringing in the right Coach...great transfers want to play for you...

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1117422848027648000

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #844 on: April 14, 2019, 08:52:42 AM »
False

Get your best players to re commit(like Oats has), and then get transfers that are better then any players you might lose(which Bolden is) and what have you lost?? Nothing, you have probably improved. Again, this "fallacy" that you lose everyone when a Coach leaves and you will have a total rebuild is 100% absolutely, patently false. It all depends on the Coach you bring in. Keep the right guys, replace the ones that do choose to leave with at worst the same( a lot of times better), and you go. It's been proven many times, it can and does happen. Just tired of the narrative that people here think it means "automatic rebuild". That's total horsecrap.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #845 on: April 14, 2019, 08:56:34 AM »
And...here's another effect of bringing in the right Coach...great transfers want to play for you...

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1117422848027648000

If only Marquette could land any decent transfers.
And, no, Bolden is not a great transfer by any stretch of the imagination.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #846 on: April 14, 2019, 08:59:48 AM »
Get your best players to re commit(like Oats has), and then get transfers that are better then any players you might lose(which Bolden is) and what have you lost?? Nothing, you have probably improved. Again, this "fallacy" that you lose everyone when a Coach leaves and you will have a total rebuild is 100% absolutely, patently false. It all depends on the Coach you bring in. Keep the right guys, replace the ones that do choose to leave with at worst the same( a lot of times better), and you go. It's been proven many times, it can and does happen. Just tired of the narrative that people here think it means "automatic rebuild". That's total horsecrap.

Sure, is it possible it doesn’t happen...yes.  What happened when Crean left as an example right here close to home...did we keep Tyshawn Taylor?  Nope.  When Buzz left, did we keep all his recruits?  Nope.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #847 on: April 14, 2019, 08:59:54 AM »
My Moser two cents:

He doesn’t like the travel part of the small towns of the MVC.  He and his family have liked living in Wilmette in Chicago. (being from the area, Naperville) He would have taken the SLU position if offered back in the day. He wasn’t. Porter did much of the heavy lifting with recruiting for Majerus at SLU. Once he identified recruits, he’d bring Rick along to close the deal.  He was the nice guy, positive, energetic guy, while Rick spent an hour and a half in practice getting a defender to point his toe in a precise manner, in slow methodical fashion. He was good as an assistant there. His original connection to Majerus was Tony Barone. Porter’s had 4 of 5 winning seasons at Loyola, one dream season, in 16 overall. He’d be a nice assistant on a high major staff, or doing what he is doing now. His contract runs six more seasons at seven figures. Moser is a fall back candidate at St. John’s. A top choice? No. Fall back long shot possibility? Yes. He’s one of the good guys out there so I wish him well. Maybe he can get another run where he is.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #848 on: April 14, 2019, 09:12:31 AM »
If only Marquette could land any decent transfers.
And, no, Bolden is not a great transfer by any stretch of the imagination.

Do you pay attention to college basketball?? Bolden isn't a great transfer?? He is VERY VERY good.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #849 on: April 14, 2019, 09:23:15 AM »
Do you pay attention to college basketball?? Bolden isn't a great transfer?? He is VERY VERY good.

He quit on his team before the season was over, many fans saying he sulked most of the year.  Maybe he needed a change of scenery, but let’s not anoint him just yet.

feedback