Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2019 Coaching Carousel  (Read 201471 times)

nyg

• All American
Re: 2019 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2019, 02:36:39 PM »
Not necessarily. Depending on what's testified to during trial, those purported recordings may never be admitted into evidence. And subpoenaed or not, Miller may not testify. The Firth Amendment remains a viable (if not likely) option.

An evidence hearing has probably already been heard considering trial month away.  Miller, even if subpoenaed can still sit on the stand and listen, but refuse to testify, which very seldom happens in court.  That would not be a good thing for him and his career would be over, tapes or no tapes. The tapes can be presented without Miller going on the stand and be introduced by either prosecution or defense witnesses.  Either way, the actual tapes have not been made public, everything is speculative, and if they do contain NCAA coaches incriminating themselves, they soon will be public in this trial.  Can't wait to hear the particulars of these case and that is when the walls start coming down.  Actual evidence.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2019, 02:51:11 PM »
And your basis for saying that is.....
because he isn't going pro because he can't get guaranteed nba $$$. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2019, 03:01:47 PM »
This....I'd bet dollars to donuts he pleads the 5th.
He may very well do that but even the most ardent UofA and Miller fan knows he will be fired for taking the 5th. Could be the right strategy to get a settlement with Arizona though.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2019, 03:27:00 PM »
If Nico reopens his recruitment I would expect Stan and Wojo would be pushing hard to land him.

Nico being projected as a 1 and Done and Duke probably losing T Jones to the NBA he's going to where the Bells & Whistles are.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2019, 04:24:29 PM »
Buzz had friends in the media to speculate on his behalf.

TC had has no friends so he had has to "leak" BS by himself.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2019, 04:26:50 PM »
  An evidence hearing has probably already been heard considering trial month away.  Miller, even if subpoenaed can still sit on the stand and listen, but refuse to testify, which very seldom happens in court.  That would not be a good thing for him and his career would be over, tapes or no tapes. The tapes can be presented without Miller going on the stand and be introduced by either prosecution or defense witnesses.  Either way, the actual tapes have not been made public, everything is speculative, and if they do contain NCAA coaches incriminating themselves, they soon will be public in this trial.  Can't wait to hear the particulars of these case and that is when the walls start coming down.  Actual evidence.

no to drone on about legal stuff, but I wouldn't say it's seldom that a person implicated in a criminal conspiracy or portrayed as an unindicted co-conspirator takes the Fifth.
And I don't see how Miller's situation gets worse by invoking his Fifth Amendment right when the alternative is admitting he was paying players or perjuring himself. Of the three options, it's the least likely to not be a career-killer.
As for the tapes, it's worth noting that the government chose not to introduce the texts involving Self, but rather it was the defense, in an effort to downplay their client's involvement. Judging by that, the government may not want to introduce the purported Miller tapes.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2019, 04:44:14 PM »
no to drone on about legal stuff, but I wouldn't say it's seldom that a person implicated in a criminal conspiracy or portrayed as an unindicted co-conspirator takes the Fifth.
And I don't see how Miller's situation gets worse by invoking his Fifth Amendment right when the alternative is admitting he was paying players or perjuring himself. Of the three options, it's the least likely to not be a career-killer.
As for the tapes, it's worth noting that the government chose not to introduce the texts involving Self, but rather it was the defense, in an effort to downplay their client's involvement. Judging by that, the government may not want to introduce the purported Miller tapes.

I let your opinion be, not sure if you have/had prosecutorial experience.  I am very aware of the entire case and who requested what matters be entered as evidence.   

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2019, 04:49:15 PM »
Shaka's 4 years in Texas ...

20-13 NCAA first round loss

11-22

19-15 NCAA first round loss

16-16

Tough being a genius nowadays.

Thank god he's married to that uptight snob, Maya. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2019, 04:53:25 PM »

She musta figured it'll be more fun getting run out of Austin than Milwaukee....

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2019, 05:18:54 PM »
Since Miller has publicly and by all reports privately sworn he has done nothing wrong, pleading the 5th would undermine his credibility. This is not my opinion; UofA reporters have indicated their sources have said taking the 5th would be the end of Miller's tenure. But to your point, taking the 5th can keep him out of jail and leave open the opportunity for a job at another school.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2019, 05:29:47 PM »

66-66 after 4 years at Texas' landmark university. Zero tourney wins. Three straight seasons with losing conference records. Two seasons without winning overall records. 16-16 in Year 4.

A good chunk of Scoop wants Wojo fired; how would they have handled that?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2019, 06:10:22 PM »
Since Miller has publicly and by all reports privately sworn he has done nothing wrong, pleading the 5th would undermine his credibility. This is not my opinion; UofA reporters have indicated their sources have said taking the 5th would be the end of Miller's tenure. But to your point, taking the 5th can keep him out of jail and leave open the opportunity for a job at another school.

Lost credibility vs federal indictment for perjury or conspiracy.
Which would you choose?

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2019, 06:16:53 PM »

She musta figured it'll be more fun getting run out of Austin than Milwaukee....

She can change her BBQ order, "Make that to go..."

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #138 on: March 20, 2019, 04:56:43 AM »
Lost credibility vs federal indictment for perjury or conspiracy.
Which would you choose?
Lol. Easy choice. Crean to Arizona!

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2019, 06:37:46 AM »
Lol. Easy choice. Crean to Arizona!

He'd still bring his tanning bed.  The real sun doesn't give provide the right orange-ish glow.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2019, 07:03:14 PM »
Goodman reported yesterday that Nebraska will be firing Tim Miles and Hoiberg is the frontrunner to replace him. No word on whether Fred Hoiberg is aware that he is the frontrunner at Nebraska.

Per the guy that was the first to report on Scott Frost to Neb, I guess this is a #donedeal. Kinda surprising, I would have thought Hoiberg could do better. It’ll be interesting to see the $$

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2019, 07:10:32 PM »
Hoiberg has ties to Nebraska.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2019, 08:38:32 PM »
Hoiberg has ties to Nebraska.

Ahh okay that makes more sense then.  And good for Nebraska, that's two home run coaching hires for their programs based on guys with ties.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2019, 08:56:29 PM »
His grandfather was the head coach there in the 50s and his parents are both alumni. He has extended family in the state too.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2019, 08:58:21 PM »
Nebraska really isn’t a bad gig. Sure it’s a football school, but great resources, good fan base. You can certainly win there.

• All American
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2019, 09:00:10 PM »
Nebraska really isn’t a bad gig. Sure it’s a football school, but great resources, good fan base. You can certainly win there.

I agree. Furthermore pressure won’t be huge.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

VegasWarrior77

• All American
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

• All American
« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2019, 08:30:25 AM »
Ex-NBA player Mike Miller could be ideal fit for UNLV

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/sports-columns/ed-graney/ex-nba-player-mike-miller-could-be-ideal-fit-for-unlv-1622953/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I can't for a second think that would be a good idea.  He's been a college assistant for less than a year, and the idea that recruits would be interested in him because he played with Lebron James?  I don't he has a good understanding of how the recruiting process works.

That being said, Porter Moser would be a terrible choice too.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #148 on: March 21, 2019, 01:40:52 PM »
The UNLV fan base is delusional. Six weeks ago the rumor was the athletic department was talking to Pitino. A few weeks later they were supposedly talking to Thad Motta...
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #149 on: March 21, 2019, 03:42:37 PM »

I can't for a second think that would be a good idea.  He's been a college assistant for less than a year, and the idea that recruits would be interested in him because he played with Lebron James?  I don't he has a good understanding of how the recruiting process works.

That being said, Porter Moser would be a terrible choice too.

He’s well connected in the AAU scene. Also, Miller’s older brother is the associate HC at TCU under Jamie Dixon. He was on Calipari’s staff at Memphis and at New Mexico under Alford. Also was at UNLV recently. They are supposed to be a package deal. So I would imagine Mike Miller knows how the game works. And he has a good X&Os guy and experienced assistant to help.