'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jamal  (Read 18931 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Jamal
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2019, 01:36:02 PM »
Dang, wojo really getting all the guys to buy into the team concept and their roles within the team.

Yes, but as Jamal put it, the "team" is fine - unless their winning ways stop. (which I have no fear of this year)

As long as the team keeps winning, Cain said he has accepted the reduced role on the court.

“With the rotation that’s going, if they’re winning, I’m fine with it,” Cain said.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2019, 01:39:39 PM »
https://marquettewire.org/4007847/sports/cain-stays-ready-despite-limited-playing-time/

I love this and am surprised at times that this thinking still is there.  Kudos to Jamal and to the staff.  I have been very cynical of the AAU mentality where so many are about I and not team, but Jamal is taking a mature approach here.  A team approach, so refreshing. He is probably disappointed, but I don’t see it on his face or body language.  Mad respect for a guy to do that and stay ready.  He played well the other day and he may be needed in a game again, even if he doesn’t play he has to help get our guys ready in practice.  Selfless.

Thank you for sharing. Love to see the team concept with him and others. Great great great!!
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2019, 01:45:54 PM »
My normal response is that it is an extremely tough sell to convince someone to take a non-medical red-shirt in their third year, but considering his relationship with Greg, and the fact that he can see first hand how much a red-shirt year help both with Sacar, and seeing Greg in practice I think it's a real possibility.  I still think Jamal has the highest ceiling of his class, and taking a year to put some more muscle on his frame, tighten up his handle and work on his shot will raise his floor considerably.

He’s sitting out if he transfers

So sell him on that. Sit out with a winner. Work on some things and then have 2 years of eligibility left with lots of potential minutes open.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2019, 01:52:00 PM »
Love it.  I would love if Jamal redshirted next season, assuming everyone we expect to be back is back and healthy.  With the backcourt/wing losing only Chartouney and adding Koby and Greg to the lineup I'm not sure how he's going to see anything more than what he is this season, so a year to work on his game and be in the weight room while getting another year after our studs graduate would do wonders in my opinion.  And it would put him back in the same class as his buddy Greg.

Exactly what I've been thinking, I'm hoping Sacar's example would give him a tangible success story. Might be tough to pass up an opportunity to get some PT on a title contender though...

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2019, 01:53:00 PM »
I love this and am surprised at times that this thinking still is there.  Kudos to Jamal and to the staff.  I have been very cynical of the AAU mentality where so many are about I and not team, but Jamal is taking a mature approach here.  A team approach, so refreshing. He is probably disappointed, but I don’t see it on his face or body language.  Mad respect for a guy to do that and stay ready.  He played well the other day and he may be needed in a game again, even if he doesn’t play he has to help get our guys ready in practice.  Selfless.

Thank you for sharing. Love to see the team concept with him and others. Great great great!!

Agreed. That and every AAU recruit that says they want to come in right away and start and get majority minutes really grinds my gears. If you are a 5 star that is acceptable but if you are in the middle of the recruiting board you shouldn't be expecting/deserve starting minutes at a high major program

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2019, 02:02:33 PM »
Love it.  I would love if Jamal redshirted next season, assuming everyone we expect to be back is back and healthy.  With the backcourt/wing losing only Chartouney and adding Koby and Greg to the lineup I'm not sure how he's going to see anything more than what he is this season, so a year to work on his game and be in the weight room while getting another year after our studs graduate would do wonders in my opinion.  And it would put him back in the same class as his buddy Greg.

I was hoping Cain would redshirt this season. Still think it would be a good idea next season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2019, 03:56:02 PM »
I was hoping Cain would redshirt this season. Still think it would be a good idea next season.

Same here.  Was clear there was going to be a logjam in the middle of the lineup, and thought he could use a little more development.  That said, I'm glad that he's kept his head on straight despite the inconsistent playing time.  I'd be ok with him getting a few more of Joey's minutes down the stretch if he continues to lag a little bit. 

I do think the connection with Greg is a big thing keeping Jamal here.  I also have wondered if he's struggled a bit not being on the floor with Greg at times this year--I remember the two of them feeding off each other last year.  Greg is a little more intense and I think that helped Jamal play with a little more passion and get out his head a bit more.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2019, 06:49:53 PM »

I know you were, TAMU, and I was among the many who thought you were crazy to even suggest it.

You nailed it, and I bow to your superior intellect on this issue, sir.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2019, 07:22:17 AM »

He’s sitting out if he transfers

So sell him on that. Sit out with a winner. Work on some things and then have 2 years of eligibility left with lots of potential minutes open.

And if the first year back still doesn't work out, he can grad transfer and play immediately.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2019, 08:11:40 AM »
Have some patience, FFS.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2019, 08:27:19 AM »
Make of this what you will...

https://twitter.com/jamalcain24/status/1098070325269532673

The tea leaves that I'm reading are saying that he doesn't even have the thought of a different university. He has been upbeat on the bench every game and I don't think that is because he is putting on a face. He seems genuinely happy to be on this team with these guys. I sure hope his minutes start increasing these last few games. He can be the secret weapon that no one has game planned for come crunch time

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2019, 08:29:00 AM »
Make of this what you will...

https://twitter.com/jamalcain24/status/1098070325269532673

Sounds like Jamal soon will be declared ineligible for being a professional!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

nyg

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2019, 08:44:01 AM »
Lets see if Cain gets some of Bailey's minutes tonight.  Bailey has shown a propensity to play defense and has limited turnovers, yet has been unable to hit the wide open corner threes.  He is 1 for 12 in last five games from the three area, the majority of which have been from the corner.  Cain hit one of those last week and maybe helped his confidence moving forward. 

fjm

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2019, 10:55:55 AM »
Lets see if Cain gets some of Bailey's minutes tonight.  Bailey has shown a propensity to play defense and has limited turnovers, yet has been unable to hit the wide open corner threes.  He is 1 for 12 in last five games from the three area, the majority of which have been from the corner.  Cain hit one of those last week and maybe helped his confidence moving forward.

That’s the thing. Bailey has been outstanding. But his shooting sometimes looks crazy off. If he can find it, it’ll be a game changer. Just like if Chatouney can hit a few 3’s or 2ms a game.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2019, 11:29:29 AM »
That’s the thing. Bailey has been outstanding. But his shooting sometimes looks crazy off. If he can find it, it’ll be a game changer. Just like if Chatouney can hit a few 3’s or 2ms a game.

Yep. Chartouny is quietly up to 36% on 3P shots, albeit on a small volume. He also has not had more than 1 turnover in a game since Seton Hall

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2019, 02:51:33 PM »

Sounds like Jamal soon will be declared ineligible for being a professional!
Like I say, always give 110%, unless you are giving blood

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2019, 03:40:59 PM »
Yep. Chartouny is quietly up to 36% on 3P shots, albeit on a small volume. He also has not had more than 1 turnover in a game since Seton Hall

Honestly, I think how far off his misses are skews the perception of his shooting.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2019, 09:35:36 PM »
Bump...

So much better and athletic then Bailey imo.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2019, 09:43:39 PM »
Better offensively and having a game today. Way happy for him. Would still prefer bailey on D.

But Jamal is showing his worth. Good for he and Wojo putting it together for him!

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2019, 09:45:12 PM »
I love the amount of athleticism Jamal plays with.  He has quite the motor.

If Jamal gets going during this part of the season along with Sam and Joey.  Who knows what MU is capable of.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2019, 09:57:19 PM »
Jamal has really out played joey and bailey last two games.
Bailey fades left or right on almost every shot, increasing the difficulty exponentially
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2019, 10:19:42 PM »
Jamal should get more minutes, full stop. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2019, 10:20:58 PM »
He is earning them.    For a while, he was a turnover machine.    Right now he is an effort machine who is hitting the occasional 3.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2019, 10:23:51 PM »
Nice to see Jamal getting some confidence back on offense. I actually think Bailey was the better defender tonight, did a very nice job on Baldwin. But if Jamal has found his shooting mojo again then he will continue to eat into Bailey, Joey, and Joe's minutes. His rebounding is already so good
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2019, 10:50:13 PM »
Brendan, Jamal, and Sacar on the floor together is some really active D.
If the offense can still be productive, I'd like more of that please.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

feedback