[Today at 05:39:36 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jamal  (Read 18916 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Jamal
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2019, 06:46:36 AM »
It was also great to see Markus and Sammy encourage him during breaks in the action.  Jamal played an excellent game.  Something he can build off of.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2019, 06:51:08 AM »
Have always liked Cain, can shoot, super athletic, excellent rebounder. What I like more about him, and used it as a teaching moment for one of my sons, is that he hadn’t seen the floor in several games, gets his first touch, is ready, makes the three. One of the most difficult roles is coming off the bench, especially sparingly, and having to be perfect or you’re out right away. He was pure class last night. Well done, young man.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2019, 06:54:10 AM »
And it's not about even hitting a couple shots.  Simply put, he was an 'asset' on the floor.  That's darn good enough when you're 10th man.  Again, well done Jamal.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2019, 07:14:30 AM »
Joey and Jamal are also the two youngest players on the team.

MaRKuS iS oNlY 19!

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2019, 07:30:58 AM »
I'm hoping Woj gives Jamal some run the next couple of games to see if he can do more like he did last night.  He did well  guarding Cain on the defensive end as well as hitting a couple buckets.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2019, 07:44:06 AM »
I'm hoping Woj gives Jamal some run the next couple of games to see if he can do more like he did last night.  He did well  guarding Cain on the defensive end as well as hitting a couple buckets.

He really did a fine job at both ends of the floor, didn't he Lighthouse?

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2019, 07:49:49 AM »
I don't think Eli Cain saw the ball while Jamal was on him.  I hope he sees the floor next week.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2019, 07:52:17 AM »

Came away impressed with his defense. He disrupted a few plays, including a throwaway by DePaul. Could see his confidence growing each play. Pretty amazing statement for our team when he and Matt are the type of depth we can bring off the bench. Given his nice corner 3 and rebounding, I'd love to see him get some run next week.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2019, 07:54:53 AM »
Came away impressed with his defense. He disrupted a few plays, including a throwaway by DePaul. Could see his confidence growing each play. Pretty amazing statement for our team when he and Matt are the type of depth we can bring off the bench. Given his nice corner 3 and rebounding, I'd love to see him get some run next week.

Yep.  And chick and I were close enough to watch and listen to Markus and Sammy coach him up.  It was really good to see.  Hopefully a springboard for him.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2019, 10:39:14 AM »
For those who think Wojo hates Jamal:

"Not playing is not easy," Wojciechowski said. "But what Jamal did is a reflection of how he's practiced. He's had a great attitude.

"I love Jamal. Jamal's going to be a terrific player at Marquette. Because he's had a good attitude, good things happened when he was on the court."

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2019, 11:11:40 AM »
For those who think Wojo hates Jamal:

"Not playing is not easy," Wojciechowski said. "But what Jamal did is a reflection of how he's practiced. He's had a great attitude.

"I love Jamal. Jamal's going to be a terrific player at Marquette. Because he's had a good attitude, good things happened when he was on the court."

Mind games

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2019, 11:14:47 AM »
I totally trust Wojo on playing time decisions. It is one of his strengths as a coach, and has been for several years.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2019, 12:24:42 PM »
I totally trust Wojo on playing time decisions. It is one of his strengths as a coach, and has been for several years.
An alarm just went off in Ners’s apartment. He’s going to create a new account just to vigorously dispute this.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2019, 01:45:26 PM »
Him and Bailey both can offer things. Jamal is the better shooter by a lot. Better rebounder.

Bailey better defender and more secure with ball.

Really hope Jamal is someone who can stay with the program tho. He’s got a lot of game

I like Bailey but I am a bit surprised how poorly he shoots.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2019, 05:02:19 PM »

I don’t agree that it has always been a strength.  He has gotten better every year and this year he seems to be pulling all the right strings. His willingness to move away from certain players in certain games has won us a few games this year.   

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2019, 05:41:36 PM »
I don’t agree that it has always been a strength.  He has gotten better every year and this year he seems to be pulling all the right strings. His willingness to move away from certain players in certain games has won us a few games this year.   

Coincidentally, it's the first year that we have capable players throughout the roster.

MuMark

• All American

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2019, 11:44:16 AM »
https://marquettewire.org/4007847/sports/cain-stays-ready-despite-limited-playing-time/

Dang, wojo really getting all the guys to buy into the team concept and their roles within the team.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2019, 11:59:54 AM »
Dang, wojo really getting all the guys to buy into the team concept and their roles within the team.

Culture=mindgames

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2019, 12:09:12 PM »
The best part of the game is watching the bench at times get excited about hitting some 3's, Jamal has never been moping on the bench, but truly happy for his
teammates, winning does that. 

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2019, 12:16:45 PM »
I firmly believe the overiding factor was turnovers.  I think baikey plays a little better defense but they both play good D.
Last thing u want a kid off the bench to do is come in and give the other team 2-3 live ball turnovers in succession. And Jamal did that in the couple games leading up to his disappearance.  He also played timidly.  To baileys credit no matter what has happened to him this year, miss shots or what not he has never been timid  or shown a lack of confidence.  He has a great “ next play” mentality
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2019, 12:40:22 PM »
I firmly believe the overiding factor was turnovers.  I think baikey plays a little better defense but they both play good D.
Last thing u want a kid off the bench to do is come in and give the other team 2-3 live ball turnovers in succession. And Jamal did that in the couple games leading up to his disappearance.  He also played timidly.  To baileys credit no matter what has happened to him this year, miss shots or what not he has never been timid  or shown a lack of confidence.  He has a great “ next play” mentality

In terms of confidence, Bailey has never gotten the minutes that Jamal got last year, so when Jamal's minutes plummeted, the confidence probably went with it. Jamal went from a good amount of playing time last year to practically nothing this year, which will sap anyone's confidence. Hope the DePaul game starts a good stretch of quality reserve minutes for Jamal.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2019, 01:18:50 PM »
https://marquettewire.org/4007847/sports/cain-stays-ready-despite-limited-playing-time/

Love it.  I would love if Jamal redshirted next season, assuming everyone we expect to be back is back and healthy.  With the backcourt/wing losing only Chartouney and adding Koby and Greg to the lineup I'm not sure how he's going to see anything more than what he is this season, so a year to work on his game and be in the weight room while getting another year after our studs graduate would do wonders in my opinion.  And it would put him back in the same class as his buddy Greg.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2019, 01:27:03 PM »
Love it.  I would love if Jamal redshirted next season, assuming everyone we expect to be back is back and healthy.  With the backcourt/wing losing only Chartouney and adding Koby and Greg to the lineup I'm not sure how he's going to see anything more than what he is this season, so a year to work on his game and be in the weight room while getting another year after our studs graduate would do wonders in my opinion.  And it would put him back in the same class as his buddy Greg.

The best thing about Freshmen is they become redshirt Juniors.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2019, 01:33:36 PM »

My normal response is that it is an extremely tough sell to convince someone to take a non-medical red-shirt in their third year, but considering his relationship with Greg, and the fact that he can see first hand how much a red-shirt year help both with Sacar, and seeing Greg in practice I think it's a real possibility.  I still think Jamal has the highest ceiling of his class, and taking a year to put some more muscle on his frame, tighten up his handle and work on his shot will raise his floor considerably.

feedback