Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hinkle mystique vanquished  (Read 22095 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: Hinkle mystique vanquished
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2019, 05:37:36 AM »
Butler was a missed three point shot vs Purdue to be in the Sweet 16 last season.

Yes and then lost all their good players
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2019, 05:42:59 AM »
It was really poor in second half tho. A lot of fighting for balls and letting it go to the 1 butler guy

But yeah in the 1H it was great

This

1SE

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2019, 05:58:29 AM »
Yes and then lost all their good players

Right - I meaning winning in a place where we haven't won since the USSR was still standing is huge - but this Butler team isn't great. If half the wide-open looks they clanked had dropped it would have been a pretty tight game.

That said we did what we were supposed to do and then some.

Two big tests coming up - if we win those I think we can start realistically hoping for a 2 seed.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2019, 06:07:51 AM »
Right - I meaning winning in a place where we haven't won since the USSR was still standing is huge - but this Butler team isn't great. If half the wide-open looks they clanked had dropped it would have been a pretty tight game.

Two big tests coming up - if we win those I think we can start realistically hoping for a 2 seed.

The whole 1990 got annoying, gimme a fn break it was 5 games, 5 crapty games with me there for 3 of them including the 18 point blown lead.  But its not like we have been in the same conference, as it alluded to.  In fact, Butler was in  horizon league for much of that, and they looked like a Horizon league team last night.  Hope im wrong but always felt letting Butler in might end up a mistake.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2019, 06:11:20 AM »

Raff and Brando have total man-crushes on Markus. Completely effusive in their praise.

They were chuckling every time he hit a shot.
Have some patience, FFS.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2019, 06:59:36 AM »
Cain. What a puzzle. And it wasn’t even like BB played particularly well. I don’t know what’s going on but I hope he can get it turned around and still make a meaningful contribution this season because at some point I think we’ll want another 6’7” pogo stick who can hit the open corner 3. Don’t want to beat the horse, but if he keeps drawing DNPs hard to see what keeps him around for next year.

I don't *know* what is going on, but I have a good guess.  Bailey is a better defender and his offensive downside isn't all that great compared to Jamal.  We have five players who can hit that corner 3 better than Jamal can right now.

He may play himself back into the rotation, but if he doesn't I'm OK with that.  And if he leaves, he leaves.  Why worry?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2019, 07:26:50 AM »
The whole 1990 got annoying, gimme a fn break it was 5 games, 5 crapty games with me there for 3 of them including the 18 point blown lead.  But its not like we have been in the same conference, as it alluded to.  In fact, Butler was in  horizon league for much of that, and they looked like a Horizon league team last night.  Hope im wrong but always felt letting Butler in might end up a mistake.

That board is pretty remarkable. It’s like they are oblivious to the blatantly obvious talent gap between MU and BU this year. They seem to want Lavall fired because he is not turning Holtzmann’s 3* leftovers into All Big East players. Lavall will get it together down there once he has his own players.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2019, 07:28:25 AM »
D boards in the second half the only real disappointment after the early TOs.

The defense is niiiiiiiiice tho
Butler missed a ton of easy and/or wide open shots in the first 10 minutes of the game.  I thought the first shot defense was better after that  (although defensive rebounding was poor) even though they started scoring some.

I don't know if Butler is really any good, but they were not good last night. 

A lot of credit to Wojo overall for our defense.  It is better than it ought to be, as Howard is very small and the Hausers not blessed with quickness, but we do a good job anyway. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2019, 07:29:41 AM »
That board is pretty remarkable. It’s like they are oblivious to the blatantly obvious talent gap between MU and BU this year. They seem to want Lavall fired because he is not turning Holtzmann’s 3* leftovers into All Big East players. Lavall will get it together down there once he has his own players.
So a whole lot of guys who sound like ners.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2019, 07:39:53 AM »
Great for Marquette basketball to be fun again. Stayed up late for the game last night for a 3 continent, 4 time zone group WhatsApp game watch party. Wouldn’t have done that for the team last year. Thanks Wojo.

Markus was definitely STOG, but was really excited about Sacar’s game last night. Took charge in the 1st half with some nice drives and finishes  when nothing was falling, hit that lovely 3 in corner. With a reliable 4th scoring option I really like where this team is at.

Ed and Joe also had perfect role games last night - did what they were supposed to, gave 10-15 solid minutes. Markus needed that blow in the 1st half - I think he had scored like 2pts in the first 8 minutes? After that he came out in video game mode. Great that Wojo can still be confident enough in JC to
sit his star in the 1st half on the road in a tough game.

Cain. What a puzzle. And it wasn’t even like BB played particularly well. I don’t know what’s going on but I hope he can get it turned around and still make a meaningful contribution this season because at some point I think we’ll want another 6’7” pogo stick who can hit the open corner 3. Don’t want to beat the horse, but if he keeps drawing DNPs hard to see what keeps him around for next year.

Barring an unthinkable collapse this season I am fully and totally on the Wojo wagon. Thrilled that I was wrong even though I would have liked to be here sooner. Even if for some reason we flame out in the NCAA (madness happens) we’ve checked all the boxes. Would love to win out at the FF, take the BE crown and make an NCAA run but that would really all be icing on what is already a great season.

Next challenge is can we sustain - not only next year but beyond. Am optimistic.

Good, positive, realistic post. Appreciate you owning up to prematurely judging Wojo.

Only slight nit is that you shouldn't assume that just because BB isn't scoring it means he's playing poorly. On this team, his job is to play D, hustle, grab a couple of rebounds, take care of the ball. Very similar role to Sacar's -- do the (not so) little things, scoring is a bonus. My only complaint about BB last night is that he took an early 3 that was completely unnecessary; he could have settled for that shot 20 seconds later if necessary.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2019, 07:43:33 AM »
Don’t want to beat the horse, but if he keeps drawing DNPs hard to see what keeps him around for next year.

Playing for a national championship contender?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2019, 07:44:25 AM »

A #2 seed would be sensational, but we should not stop there. If we can beat Nova once and say go 6-3 for rest of regular season, a 2 seed should be a given. Win the Beast tourney, then we should demand a 1 seed.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2019, 07:45:52 AM »
A #2 seed would be sensational, but we should not stop there. If we can beat Nova once and say go 6-3 for rest of regular season, a 2 seed should be a given. Win the Beast tourney, then we should demand a 1 seed.

Or else what?   ;D
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2019, 07:46:05 AM »
We should demand a 1 seed.   I didn't know that the tournament committee listened to demands.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2019, 07:49:20 AM »

I always poke my head into opposing fan boards right before and after games just to see what they are saying. Holy crap I thought Scoop was bad. Jordan gets them to the Round of 32 in his first year and has them at least in the bubble conversation and it seems like 75% of that board doesn't just want him fired, they want him jailed and his firstborn child in compensation. If they had to go through our first two years of the rebuild they would have burned Hinkle to the ground.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2019, 07:52:09 AM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2019, 08:08:53 AM »
I always poke my head into opposing fan boards right before and after games just to see what they are saying. Holy crap I thought Scoop was bad. Jordan gets them to the Round of 32 in his first year and has them at least in the bubble conversation and it seems like 75% of that board doesn't just want him fired, they want him jailed and his firstborn child in compensation. If they had to go through our first two years of the rebuild they would have burned Hinkle to the ground.
Brad Stevens isn't walking through that door.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2019, 08:26:08 AM »
The way Jamal was dancing around on the bench last night, I'd be more surprised if he left this offseason than if he redshirted.  I could see Wojo pointing to Sacar as an example, explaining that nobody that is getting his potential minutes right now is leaving next season so he might be in the same situation, and Jamal buying into the program and getting back into the same graduating class as his buddy Greg.  The kid's never pouted and has been ready when he's been called upon.  He seems to love the team.

Guess we'll see.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 31, 2019, 08:27:19 AM »
Or else what?   ;D
I guess you did not realize that "demand"  was hyperbole. We could always then pull an Al McGuire and go to the NIT

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 31, 2019, 08:29:45 AM »
We should demand a 1 seed.   I didn't know that the tournament committee listened to demands.
Of course they do
 Whatever coach K wants.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2019, 08:31:22 AM »
I guess you did not realize that "demand"  was hyperbole. We could always then pull an Al McGuire and go to the NIT

I know you're kidding, but actually we can't.  After what McGuire did, NCAA instituted a rule that if you turn down an NCAA bid, you cannot go to any other postseason tournament.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2019, 08:41:45 AM »
The way Jamal was dancing around on the bench last night, I'd be more surprised if he left this offseason than if he redshirted.  I could see Wojo pointing to Sacar as an example, explaining that nobody that is getting his potential minutes right now is leaving next season so he might be in the same situation, and Jamal buying into the program and getting back into the same graduating class as his buddy Greg.  The kid's never pouted and has been ready when he's been called upon.  He seems to love the team.

Guess we'll see.

I don't think reading body language means much. He could very well be happy because he is part of a team that is doing great and he loves his teammates, but still feels that it might be better for his development if he leaves.

But you are right.  We will see.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2019, 08:47:49 AM »
https://twitter.com/mubbnation/status/1090810584541683713?s=21

Everyone is watching the bench’s reaction to the step back three but watch Wojo’s reaction in this GIF.
Haha that’s awesome. Sometimes even as a coach you watch like a fan
No Finish Line

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2019, 09:11:44 AM »
https://twitter.com/mubbnation/status/1090810584541683713?s=21

Everyone is watching the bench’s reaction to the step back three but watch Wojo’s reaction in this GIF.

I was at the game last night and think I remember watching Wojo after the play, though I can’t be sure if this was the shot or not.  But I believe that MH had just committed a stupid TO.  So after he hits this shot and you see Wojo’s short reaction, Wojo turned around to the scorers table and took a sip of his water and it was almost like he was thinking “how can I yell at MH for the TO when next trip down he makes that play”.  Was funny to watch.

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2019, 09:20:12 AM »