Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hinkle mystique vanquished  (Read 22097 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Hinkle mystique vanquished
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2019, 09:15:58 PM »
Cain another DNP. is Wojo pressuring him to transfer?

No. Bailey is playing better.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2019, 09:25:33 PM »
Gotta say, I'm worried that Butler may be glued next to DePaul at the bottom of the standings for quite some time.  Tucker, Baldwin, Thompson, and McDermott will be back next year, so they might be decent, but I have seen nothing from Jordan to suggest that he can get the job done.  If Wojo put in a performance like that I would be equally worried.

As for the game.  I thought the biggest challenge would be overcoming Hinkle, and it seemed to be almost a non-factor, job well done.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2019, 09:26:53 PM »
I don't know the last time Butler lost by that much at Hinkle.

It's not for lack of trying, I checked kenpom back to 2001-02 and their previous largest defeat was 17 points on two occasions.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

82fanatic

• Starter
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2019, 09:29:58 PM »
I was mildly stunned with how bad Butler was.  Never sold on Baldwin and without martin, wideman, and Dunham around him he has next to zero help.  Im not sure who on that team besides Baldwin n Tucker are BE players. 
Hadnt seen them play this year, until tonight and they stink.  MU protects the ball a little better n wins by 30.
Your such a (shortened Richard),   Marquette wins, it must be because the other team sucks!  NO!  These guys are good!  Maybe we made then look bad?  Oh of course not, “Wojo sucks.”    Glad your not on my team in any way!

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2019, 09:34:00 PM »
Gotta say, I'm worried that Butler may be glued next to DePaul at the bottom of the standings for quite some time.  Tucker, Baldwin, Thompson, and McDermott will be back next year, so they might be decent, but I have seen nothing from Jordan to suggest that he can get the job done. 
Butler was a missed three point shot vs Purdue to be in the Sweet 16 last season.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2019, 09:35:06 PM »
I don't know the last time Butler lost by that much at Hinkle.

It's not for lack of trying, I checked kenpom back to 2001-02 and their previous largest defeat was 17 points on two occasions.

On December 20, 1992, they lost to #5 UNC by 47 at Hinkle.  My guess is that this was Dean Smith giving Eric Montross a game back home in Indianapolis.  Tonight was their worst home loss since then.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2019, 09:37:09 PM »

Hadnt seen them play this year, until tonight and they stink. 
You have not seen Butler play this season. Where you been. It's not like every game isn't on national TV.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2019, 09:38:53 PM »
Butler was a missed three point shot vs Purdue to be in the Sweet 16 last season.

With both Martin and Baldwin, neither of whom were Jordan players.  I know you need 4-5 years to judge, but tonight was not a good performance by Jordan.  Holtmann was extremely underrated IMO.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2019, 09:41:26 PM »

On December 20, 1992, they lost to #5 UNC by 47 at Hinkle.  My guess is that this was Dean Smith giving Eric Montross a game back home in Indianapolis.  Tonight was their worst home loss since then.

Fun fact...that UNC team went on to win the National Championship.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2019, 09:43:48 PM »
I've watched Butler a fair amount this year. We're a significantly better team. But you still have to go into Hinkle and perform.  We did.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2019, 09:49:16 PM »
Fun fact...that UNC team went on to win the National Championship.

Brew...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2019, 09:54:33 PM »
++ Interesting that the Hinkle Mystique works best when Butler ... I don't know ... actually has a good team?

++ I was pretty surprised Butler was favored and had little doubt we'd win. The whole "Marquette hasn't won there since 1990" really meant nothing. Different players, different teams, different times. We were obviously much better than them going in, and it wasn't close. If only I had ignored my "never bet MU games" credo!

++ The way Markus drove around them all night it reminded me of the way opposing stars abused our defense in recent seasons. Very little resistance. Butler's just not athletic enough.

++ Markus and Sam were the best two players on the court by a mile ... and yet we played well when both were on the bench with foul trouble. Very nice work by JCS and BB.

++ Markus ... wow ... a few more of these and start engraving the BE POY trophy. (Or maybe just start engraving it now.)

++ I was amused by the lengthy conversation between Brando and Raf about how much Butler missed Martin. The first time they talked about it, I had to stop and think, "Wait. Is he hurt? Did he leave early for the NBA? Did he transfer?" Then I realized, no, he just used up his eligibility, which happens with every senior at every program in the country. (Except Otule and Eschmeyer - ha!) I mean ... we miss Butch Lee and Dwyane Wade and Jae Crowder. Does no good to talk about 'em now.

++ For a little while there, everybody EXCEPT Theo seemed to be getting in foul trouble.

++ One of Morrow's best games. Totally held the fort defensively. Didn't need Matt tonight, and Wojo knew it. I like the way Wojo will give a rotation player opportunities to redeem himself after a poor game.

++ Baldwin only outscored Sacar 16-14, showing again how valuable and unsung our guy is. Sacar takes on the opponent's best perimeter player most games, does a darn good job, and sometimes, as a lovely bonus, puts up some nice offensive numbers himself. He's an outstanding complement to our H-Bombs.

++ We needed a little O from Sacar tonight, as Joey had one of his poorer games. He's not only a freshman, he's actually human.

++ A few too many unforced turnovers; against a better team, those would have hurt. Not quite as concerned about the defensive rebounding -- Butler had a lot of chances to get defensive boards, and the refs were letting rebounders crash pretty hard on both teams.

++ Theo demonstrated how even a guy who finishes with zero points can have a big impact on a basketball game.

++ Another well-coached game. Although it's relatively easy to out-coach the opponent when you have far better players, Wojo is responsible for those, too. Hilarious, in retrospect, to read the early-season, Wojo-bashing threads that tower bumped. Aside from Wright, I wouldn't trade Wojo for any other coach in our league.

++ I'm thinking that there's not much chance Nova will lose at home to either GT or Creighton before they come to Milwaukee. Guess our guys will have to take care of business themselves on Feb. 9! This is gonna be the best, biggest National Marquette Day in many, many years.

++ Of course, gotta avenge StJ loss first. (That's for you, wades!)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2019, 10:04:16 PM »
If you need a little entertainment head over to the Butler board.

https://butlerhoops.com/forum/index.php?forums/butler-basketball.5/

They're having a "4 to 5 years to judge" conversation, and a "our coach doesn't say anything in the televised huddles" conversation.  It's like clicking into a time machine.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2019, 10:11:37 PM »
++ Interesting that the Hinkle Mystique works best when Butler ... I don't know ... actually has a good team?

++ I was pretty surprised Butler was favored and had little doubt we'd win. The whole "Marquette hasn't won there since 1990" really meant nothing. Different players, different teams, different times. We were obviously much better than them going in, and it wasn't close. If only I had ignored my "never bet MU games" credo!

++ The way Markus drove around them all night it reminded me of the way opposing stars abused our defense in recent seasons. Very little resistance. Butler's just not athletic enough.

++ Markus and Sam were the best two players on the court by a mile ... and yet we played well when both were on the bench with foul trouble. Very nice work by JCS and BB.

++ Markus ... wow ... a few more of these and start engraving the BE POY trophy. (Or maybe just start engraving it now.)

++ I was amused by the lengthy conversation between Brando and Raf about how much Butler missed Martin. The first time they talked about it, I had to stop and think, "Wait. Is he hurt? Did he leave early for the NBA? Did he transfer?" Then I realized, no, he just used up his eligibility, which happens with every senior at every program in the country. (Except Otule and Eschmeyer - ha!) I mean ... we miss Butch Lee and Dwyane Wade and Jae Crowder. Does no good to talk about 'em now.

++ For a little while there, everybody EXCEPT Theo seemed to be getting in foul trouble.

++ One of Morrow's best games. Totally held the fort defensively. Didn't need Matt tonight, and Wojo knew it. I like the way Wojo will give a rotation player opportunities to redeem himself after a poor game.

++ Baldwin only outscored Sacar 16-14, showing again how valuable and unsung our guy is. Sacar takes on the opponent's best perimeter player most games, does a darn good job, and sometimes, as a lovely bonus, puts up some nice offensive numbers himself. He's an outstanding complement to our H-Bombs.

++ We needed a little O from Sacar tonight, as Joey had one of his poorer games. He's not only a freshman, he's actually human.

++ A few too many unforced turnovers; against a better team, those would have hurt. Not quite as concerned about the defensive rebounding -- Butler had a lot of chances to get defensive boards, and the refs were letting rebounders crash pretty hard on both teams.

++ Theo demonstrated how even a guy who finishes with zero points can have a big impact on a basketball game.

++ Another well-coached game. Although it's relatively easy to out-coach the opponent when you have far better players, Wojo is responsible for those, too. Hilarious, in retrospect, to read the early-season, Wojo-bashing threads that tower bumped. Aside from Wright, I wouldn't trade Wojo for any other coach in our league.

++ I'm thinking that there's not much chance Nova will lose at home to either GT or Creighton before they come to Milwaukee. Guess our guys will have to take care of business themselves on Feb. 9! This is gonna be the best, biggest National Marquette Day in many, many years.

++ Of course, gotta avenge StJ loss first. (That's for you, wades!)

Sheesh! You need to find some things to do with your retired time!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2019, 10:17:39 PM »
Texted chick. As I got in the car to head over to Red Rock (where we were the signature game btw), Gooch at KOMP Rock played Thunderstruck. Cranked it. I knew it was over. #mubb #science #donedeal

MU82

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2019, 10:18:06 PM »
Sheesh! You need to find some things to do with your retired time!

I'm busier as a retired guy than I was as a working stiff. Today ... coached practice, wrote a financial article, walked the dog, went grocery shopping, made dinner for my Sugar Mama and watched the MU game. Oh, and wrote this.

Like Satchel Paige said: "Don't look back; something might be gaining on you"!

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2019, 10:52:33 PM »
https://twitter.com/mubbnation/status/1090810584541683713?s=21

Everyone is watching the bench’s reaction to the step back three but watch Wojo’s reaction in this GIF.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2019, 10:54:40 PM »
I'm busier as a retired guy than I was as a working stiff. Today ... coached practice, wrote a financial article, walked the dog, went grocery shopping, made dinner for my Sugar Mama and watched the MU game. Oh, and wrote this.

Like Satchel Paige said: "Don't look back; something might be gaining on you"!
You should chasing the Missus around the kitchen table with all that free time.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2019, 11:03:17 PM »
You should chasing the Missus around the kitchen table with all that free time.

Maybe she chases me.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2019, 11:53:02 PM »
I'm a bit surprised at everyone ragging on the defensive rebounding.
I realize that 2nd half was not as good as the 1st, but we secured 32 defensive rebounds in the game. We allowed Butler 13 offensive rebounds. That's not too shabby.

If anything, it's the offensive rebounding that was subpar.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2019, 11:59:16 PM »
I'm a bit surprised at everyone ragging on the defensive rebounding.
I realize that 2nd half was not as good as the 1st, but we secured 32 defensive rebounds in the game. We allowed Butler 13 offensive rebounds. That's not too shabby.

If anything, it's the offensive rebounding that was subpar.

It was really poor in second half tho. A lot of fighting for balls and letting it go to the 1 butler guy

But yeah in the 1H it was great
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

1SE

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2019, 03:12:07 AM »
Great for Marquette basketball to be fun again. Stayed up late for the game last night for a 3 continent, 4 time zone group WhatsApp game watch party. Wouldn’t have done that for the team last year. Thanks Wojo.

Markus was definitely STOG, but was really excited about Sacar’s game last night. Took charge in the 1st half with some nice drives and finishes  when nothing was falling, hit that lovely 3 in corner. With a reliable 4th scoring option I really like where this team is at.

Ed and Joe also had perfect role games last night - did what they were supposed to, gave 10-15 solid minutes. Markus needed that blow in the 1st half - I think he had scored like 2pts in the first 8 minutes? After that he came out in video game mode. Great that Wojo can still be confident enough in JC to
sit his star in the 1st half on the road in a tough game.

Cain. What a puzzle. And it wasn’t even like BB played particularly well. I don’t know what’s going on but I hope he can get it turned around and still make a meaningful contribution this season because at some point I think we’ll want another 6’7” pogo stick who can hit the open corner 3. Don’t want to beat the horse, but if he keeps drawing DNPs hard to see what keeps him around for next year.

Barring an unthinkable collapse this season I am fully and totally on the Wojo wagon. Thrilled that I was wrong even though I would have liked to be here sooner. Even if for some reason we flame out in the NCAA (madness happens) we’ve checked all the boxes. Would love to win out at the FF, take the BE crown and make an NCAA run but that would really all be icing on what is already a great season.

Next challenge is can we sustain - not only next year but beyond. Am optimistic.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 03:14:36 AM by 1SE »
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2019, 03:15:40 AM »
Great for Marquette basketball to be fun again. Stayed up late for the game last night for a 3 continent, 4 time zone group WhatsApp game watch party. Wouldn’t have done that for the team last year. Thanks Wojo.

Markus was definitely STOG, but was really excited about Sacar’s game last night. Took charge in the 1st half with some nice drives and finishes  when nothing was falling, hit that lovely 3 in corner. With a reliable 4th scoring option I really like where this team was at.

Ed and Joe also had perfect role games last night - did what they were supposed to, have 10-15 solid minutes. Markus needed that blow in the 1st half - I think he had scored like 2pts in the first 8 minutes? After that he came out in video game mode. Great that Wojo can still be confident enough in JC to
sit his star in the 1st half on the road in a tough game.

Cain. What a puzzle. And it wasn’t even like BB played particularly well. I don’t know what’s going on but O hope he can get it turned around and still make a meaningful contribution this season because at some point I think we’ll want another 6’7” pogo stick who can hit the open corner 3. Don’t want to beat the horse, but if he keeps drawing DNPs hard to see what keeps him around for next year.

Barring an unthinkable collapse this season I am fully and totally on the Wojo wagon. Even if for some reason we flame out in the NCAA (madness happens) we’ve checked all the boxes. Would love to win out at the FF, take the BE crown and make an NCAA run but that would really all be icing on what is already a great season.

The trick is to go to sleep at 9:30, wake up at 1:30, watch the game and go back to sleep. Done it for almost every game so far.
Maigh Eo for Sam

1SE

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2019, 04:28:45 AM »
The trick is to go to sleep at 9:30, wake up at 1:30, watch the game and go back to sleep. Done it for almost every game so far.

That's a thought - will certainly do that for any late tourney games!
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2019, 05:33:01 AM »
Your such a (shortened Richard),   Marquette wins, it must be because the other team sucks!  NO!  These guys are good!  Maybe we made then look bad?  Oh of course not, “Wojo sucks.”    Glad your not on my team in any way!

Haha horrible take.  Been nothing but complimentary of Wojo.  Read my posts in the after IU game thread from November.  Nothing short of patience and compliments for WoJo and the team while many in the thread were losing their minds.  Even a dim wit should be able to understand that remarking on the state of the other team is not a knock on your own. 
FYI, DJOver says the same thing in a post right next to mine. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 05:35:56 AM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

feedback