[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Skyline Chili  (Read 7645 times)

swoopem

• All American
Skyline Chili
« on: January 28, 2019, 12:19:42 PM »
I was in Cincinnati this past weekend for the game and decided to try skyline for the first time....Real Chili is so much better. I thought skyline was decent at best. Just another area where Marquette is better than Xavier
Bring back FFP!!!

MU82

• All American
Re: Skyline Chili
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 02:36:01 PM »
Skyline blows.

On a 1-10 scale, Real Chili is a solid 8; Skyline is a minus-2.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 03:14:28 PM »
Where does Real Chili rank on the colon cleanser scale?

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 03:33:58 PM »
Where does Real Chili rank on the colon cleanser scale?

At lunch or dinner time about a 2.

After 2am a full 10.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 03:46:28 PM »
If you were neutral on Cincinnati, the fact that they worship this dog food should be enough to side out the entire metro area.  Its revolting.  The coneys are terrible and if you get a 3-way or 4-way while drunk and pretend its Real Chili, you might not throw up.  But the next morning you'll wake up feeling like you have Dysentery 

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 03:48:17 PM »
Real Chili is 100 times better than Skyline. Skyline is very bland.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 11:58:26 PM »
Did I mention yet that Skyline blows?

I wouldn't feed it to my dog.

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 01:37:19 PM »
My roommate freshman year was from Cincinnati. He would always talk about how great Skyline was compared to Real Chili.
So when we went to Cinci a few years back, I made it a priority to eat at Skyline. It was terrible. Real Chili is waaaay better than Skyline, not even close.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 04:03:44 PM »
Skyline is right up there with St Louis style pizza on the crap list of regional foods. At its absolute best, its barely worthy of existing.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 04:16:12 PM »
I tried Skyline a couple years ago.  I thought it was edible, but not great.  A solid "OK" at best.  Real Chili, on the other hand, MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM  ;D
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 06:57:34 PM »
Speaking of chili, gonna hunker down and make some for the polar vortex.

Which Real Chili recipe on the scoop Wiki is the recommended one?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 07:23:06 PM »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 10:48:42 PM »
Skyline is right up there with St Louis style pizza on the crap list of regional foods. At its absolute best, its barely worthy of existing.

St louis style pizza isn't pizza.  and it really sucks when you haven't been to that hellhole for a while and forget just how absolutely disgusting that $hit is.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 10:54:14 PM »
Guys, while I don't think Skyline is the best chili I ever had, it's not bad. It's regional food at its best since despite Skyline's owners efforts at franchising, it never worked outside Cincinnati.

I had a boss who worked with me in Milwaukee who was from Cincinnati and brought home a special Cincinnati "Chili Seasoning" packet. Gave me a couple of them. I tried it and while I liked the boss, I never understood the big deal about Cincinnati Chili.

Real Chili, on the other hand, is about the same quality and taste of a product called Alpo. Like Real Chili, Alpo was made of beef and beef by-products. Lots of the latter as best I can tell. Real Chili was awful and edible only if you staggered out of the Gym so drunk that your taste buds were numb.

For you young Scoopers, Alpo was dog food!

Sorry gang, don't mean to break a legend, but Real Chili was not very good. Certainly not on par with anything in the south or southwest. Varallios in Nashville was much better.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 11:28:59 PM »
Guys, while I don't think Skyline is the best chili I ever had, it's not bad. It's regional food at its best since despite Skyline's owners efforts at franchising, it never worked outside Cincinnati.

I had a boss who worked with me in Milwaukee who was from Cincinnati and brought home a special Cincinnati "Chili Seasoning" packet. Gave me a couple of them. I tried it and while I liked the boss, I never understood the big deal about Cincinnati Chili.

Real Chili, on the other hand, is about the same quality and taste of a product called Alpo. Like Real Chili, Alpo was made of beef and beef by-products. Lots of the latter as best I can tell. Real Chili was awful and edible only if you staggered out of the Gym so drunk that your taste buds were numb.

Sorry gang, don't mean to break a legend, but Real Chili was not very good. Certainly not on par with anything in the south or southwest. Varallios in Nashville was much better.

I don't have any qualms with seconding this review on Real Chili. I've found that the "cult following" sentiment is fairly localized to the Scoop crowd and perhaps also those with fond memories of drunken times. I assume that some people also are friends with the owners or have some relation to the business.

It was rather salty the couple times I had it and I'm pretty sure the reason wasn't that much salt was added, it was that the whole thing was most likely crafted with canned ingredients (inherently salty). It was not at all seasoned as far as I can remember, outside of the can-salt of course.

I'm also struggling to think of food that I've ever paid for that looked more unappetizing. I mean, it's a little depressing that the "pride and joy" of traditional on-campus food is a place that only sells half-assed chili.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 11:55:22 PM »

1. Alpo > Skyline.

2. Your views on Real Chili = blasphemy! (At least when I'm drunk. Never had it sober, and I aim to keep it that way.)

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 06:22:24 AM »
1. Alpo > Skyline.

2. Your views on Real Chili = blasphemy! (At least when I'm drunk. Never had it sober, and I aim to keep it that way.)

I'm not even sure Real Chili is open when you're sober.  It operates solely in a drunken dimension.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 07:05:35 AM »

#1. But it's missing the red beans from the ingredients list. 
Just made on Sunday since I get back too late from weekend travel m St. Louis to make my traditional Super Bowl batch.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 09:45:06 AM »

^^^^Ban dis guy
Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 09:55:04 AM »
I don't mind Skyline.  Even though it's available here, I don't remember the last time I ate there locally.  I have a client that absolutely loves the stuff, so whenever we're together in Columbus (at least 2x/year) we go there.  I like their coney dogs.

My recollection is that I like Real Chili better, but it's been so long since I've had it I honestly don't remember.  Also, as others have said, I'm not sure I ever ate it sober.

If I want good chili, I'd rather make it myself.  I'm more of a fan of New Mexico-style green chili.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 11:01:43 AM »
I work downtown and I eat Real Chili for lunch (sober) almost weekly.  It's so good I crave it.  I don't think I'll get it this week since it's too f'n cold to walk 3 blocks outside, but I'm definitely a lunchtime regular at the Cathedral Square location.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2019, 11:06:55 AM »
Put me in the camp that’s had Real Chili sober and loves it
Bring back FFP!!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2019, 11:11:30 AM »
I totally allow for the fact that Real Chili might be great sober food. Maybe I'll be more open-minded and give it a try next time in town!

I will say that Mrs. 82 makes sensational chili -- has won contests with it -- so it will be a tough test for RC.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2019, 11:23:44 AM »
I work downtown and I eat Real Chili for lunch (sober) almost weekly.  It's so good I crave it.  I don't think I'll get it this week since it's too f'n cold to walk 3 blocks outside, but I'm definitely a lunchtime regular at the Cathedral Square location.

Just to clarify, I'm not at all averse to trying Real Chili while sober -- just that I'm not honestly sure I ever have.  As I said, I eat Skyline while sober with some regularity, and my recollection is that I like Real Chili better.  So I'd definitely be willing to give it a go.  And if I can ever get one of my kids to visit MU, it'd be pretty high on the list of places I'd want to take them since it seems that there's not too many places still there that were there in the late 80s.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2019, 12:22:49 PM »