Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Greg  (Read 14534 times)

Johnny B

• All American
Greg
« on: January 26, 2019, 11:58:07 PM »
I honestly feel greg is the difference between a sweet sixteen and a final four. We lack an athletic guard badly. Sacar and joe will have to step up big time if we want to make a run. Honeslty am I only the one who thinks Greg should consider burning the red shirt  in order to play. Make a deep run ?

94Warrior

• All American
Re: Greg
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 12:06:11 AM »
Is he practicing, and 100% healthy?  If so, when did that happen?

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 12:25:39 AM »
Sweet 16 this year, Final Four next year!
No reason for him to burn his red shirt - watch how much better he is after a year of development.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

wade_county37

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 12:31:01 AM »
Is it just me, or is his face looking a bit fuller? Probably bulking up for our Final 4 run next year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 12:39:37 AM »
I think Wojo is going to become quicker to go to Bailey if Sacar is struggling offensively unless he’s in complete lockdown mode. Bailey’s length makes up for what Sacar has in quickness and strength on the defensive end and Bailey doesn’t force a whole lot offensively and never turns the ball over. Sam and Joey have taken turns on the best stretch big on opposing teams (Sam shut down Strus and Marshall the last 2 games, Joey shut down Wade and Govan earlier in the season) so you can put Bailey on whatever guard is giving you the most trouble and put Markus on the other guard.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 12:44:22 AM »
I honestly feel greg is the difference between a sweet sixteen and a final four. We lack an athletic guard badly. Sacar and joe will have to step up big time if we want to make a run. Honeslty am I only the one who thinks Greg should consider burning the red shirt  in order to play. Make a deep run ?

I think you are.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 12:45:44 AM »
Could Sacar next year turn into what Matt has been this year with Greg coming back and the addition of Koby?

A really good third option that can easily spell some minutes if there’s foul trouble or when matchups dictate.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 08:51:15 AM »
Is it just me, or is his face looking a bit fuller? Probably bulking up for our Final 4 run next year.
he is clearly bulking up his neck

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 08:56:01 AM »
Could Sacar next year turn into what Matt has been this year with Greg coming back and the addition of Koby?

I doubt it. Everyone was predicting the end of Sacar getting minutes this year with Cain, Elliott, Bailey, and Chartouny in the fold. He just keeps on keeping on. While there may be better offensive options, his defense really makes him indispensable, especially when we can put so many offensive options around him. I think he'll still be at least a 20 mpg guy.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 09:44:46 AM »
I doubt it. Everyone was predicting the end of Sacar getting minutes this year with Cain, Elliott, Bailey, and Chartouny in the fold. He just keeps on keeping on. While there may be better offensive options, his defense really makes him indispensable, especially when we can put so many offensive options around him. I think he'll still be at least a 20 mpg guy.

Agreed.

And the "worst 2 guard" nonsense is, well, nonsense. For one thing, it's not true. And for another, he really isn't a 2-guard; he's a wing in this position-less basketball world most teams now live in. He can defend anybody from 6-1 to 6-7 and do a good job, and he can contribute to a victory without putting up offensive numbers -- although sometimes he does put up decent numbers.

I do like what Bailey gave us yesterday and he has shown positive signs in several other games. It's great for Wojo to have that option. I felt real good about him going to the FT line yesterday but unfortunately he missed a 1-and-1. Sacar made his clinching FTs, which hopefully gives him more confidence in similar situations for the rest of the season.

I like the Sacar-BB combo.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 09:52:31 AM »
Sacar is great at D, and great at getting to the rim.  Finishing at rim he can do better.   He needs to take that extra half second to spot the rim before release.  Some minor adjustments and he will be putting up numbers every game.  Love his attitude.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 11:47:03 AM »
I think most here would disagree with you Johnny, but I’m not so sure. After hearing the comments from Wojo regarding Joey yesterday, I think Wojo believes the time maybe now for a run......not next year. Coaches don’t think well.......sweet 16 this year and final four run next year. I think Wojo May pull out all stops this year. If he sees us as a 3 or 4 seed, I’m sure he’s thinking let’s empty the tank. Give me every horse out of the stable I can have.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 11:52:47 AM »
Sacar is great at D, and great at getting to the rim.  Finishing at rim he can do better.   He needs to take that extra half second to spot the rim before release.  Some minor adjustments and he will be putting up numbers every game.  Love his attitude.

Dis. ^^^^^^^^^

the answer

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 01:03:41 PM »
Sacar doesnt lack athleticism he lacks skill.  He is a 4th yr player so he has great experience over BB.  However, if BB plays as he did against X he will continue to get a ton of minutes.  Zero doubt in my mind Greg would get the bulk of Sacars minutes if healthy. 

Lastly im not saying it to be mean but apart from Mcclung at GT and the kid at Butler what other starting 2 in the BE would u not take over Sacar?
Booth? Heron? Scruggs? Ballock or alexander, etc
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 01:06:31 PM »
I never understood why so many think Greg is the answer for this team to go further in the tournament? 

Yes, I understand Markus is our only “pg” we seem to have, but Greg didn’t particularly show me last year that he is our current missing piece.

In no way putting down Greg, I just don’t see what so many others seem to.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2019, 01:18:15 PM »
I agree, look what happened to Jamal, never know what would have happened with Greg. Not a point guard, yes, would take some minutes from somebody because his length on D, but I am really happy he took a red shirt year to get healthy, add some muscle and maturity.  Big asset in the future.  Also, very good teammate on the bench, McEwen and Greg look like great teammates

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2019, 01:20:26 PM »
I never understood why so many think Greg is the answer for this team to go further in the tournament? 

Yes, I understand Markus is our only “pg” we seem to have, but Greg didn’t particularly show me last year that he is our current missing piece.

He was playing 1 handed for a good chunk last year.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2019, 01:21:40 PM »

+1000

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 01:25:02 PM »

No, he is not a PG, but he would give MU excellent defensive depth with his athleticism as he showed last year (and, he certainly would be more of an offensive threat than JC).  But, not to be this year.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 01:33:57 PM »
No, he is not a PG, but he would give MU excellent defensive depth with his athleticism as he showed last year (and, he certainly would be more of an offensive threat than JC).  But, not to be this year.

I don’t disagree that Greg is a decent defender.  I just am not sure this team needs that much defensive depth.  If I were to pick one thing this team needs is a slasher/driver that can finish at the rim consistently (ala Wes/jerel type guard).   Then we’d be a legit top 10 team IMO. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 03:09:45 PM »
I understand he played hurt last year...not sure what he gives us that we dont already have.  If Wojo thought he was the type of talent at this point in his career to be the difference between a S16 and FF...he wouldn't have been allowed to redshirt no matter the teams play.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2019, 04:10:43 PM »
This board has written of Matty and Joe C and in some of those instances, rather rudely.  Both have come back to help us in smaller ways win basketball games.

Now we are writing off Sacar because BB gave us some good minutes.

Good grief.

burger

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2019, 04:47:50 PM »
Sacar lacks confidence.....

If he sees it go through a few times......

He goes off......Very timid at times on the offensive end.....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2019, 05:40:53 PM »
How many games has Greg's absence caused Marquette to lose so far?   

Like everyone else, I think a healthy Greg Elliott would be a boon to this team.     Another perimeter defender.    Another guard for when Chartouny doesn't have it.    Another back up plan if Markus's back continues to be balky.   He and his family chose to keep an entire year of eligibility intact rather than only play half a year.     It appears he could play now.    Great.    Let's hope that everyone else stays healthy so there is no temptation to pull that red-shirt. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2019, 06:36:57 PM »
This board has written of Matty and Joe C and in some of those instances, rather rudely.  Both have come back to help us in smaller ways win basketball games.

Now we are writing off Sacar because BB gave us some good minutes.

Good grief.

Only one person on this board said Sacar is "worst 2 in BE by far." Right after that basketball genius said it, Sacar had a great game against Seton Hall -- absolutely one of the main reasons we won the game -- and followed it up with solid games against GT and Providence.

Frankly, Sacar hasn't played as well the last couple of games, and Wojo has done what a good coach should: give more minutes to Sacar's backup, BB. Which of course has led Sacar's critic to wax poetic about how great BB has been.

The funny thing is although I agree BB has played well, he scored 4 points total in the 2 games, shot 1-for-5 from the floor, and missed the front end of a key 1-and-1 against X. Had Sacar done the exact same, he would have been demoted from the "worst 2 in the BE by far" to worst since Naismith tacked up the first peach basket.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson