[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: PC thoughts (try to not be offended)  (Read 17237 times)

DoctorV

• All American
Re: PC thoughts (try to not be offended)
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2019, 11:45:03 PM »
I know there is a separate thread in stog where sam gets his nod but I can’t believe I read through all this with very little mention of him.

First half was one of the worst of the year, second half was great. Marquette chipped away until they got in position and then took control under the 8 min mark.

Markus was awesome for a dude coming off a dnp. Couldn’t believe it when I looked at the box and saw 4/15. Kid had an excellent game and was strong, some big boards and drew big fouls.

Imo that was one of sams best games at Marquette. Not so much what he did, but more how he did it. He came on huge in the second half and made some contested and tough shots exactly when the team needed. He carried the team late and seemed to take on a leadership role, it was awesome to see. I’ve been harsh on him for being so passive but I’ve said it before- the second that Creighton shot went in my wife popped up and said ‘maybe that’ll help him turn the corner!’ He’s playing like a rejuvenated man right when the team needs it.

Odd ends and notes-
-weird to see wojo not use heldt at all, or Cain, especially in a game he could’ve used them. He will need help late outside the main guys so I hope he plays that smart.
-There were some awesome passes over the press tonight. Markus made an awesome pass to Joey in the first half during a stall in scoring and he hit a 3. A picture perfect press break late in the game w Sam/Markus/sacar for another Joey 3.
-Sam seemed to be giving Markus some tough love a few times today and was demonstrative in not getting the ball early. It was pissing me off cause when he got it he was passive, but then the 2H happened and they seemed great. The Hauser brothers relationship on the court seems very workmanlike and they push each other, but I wonder if Sam needs to take on the loving big bro coddle approach later this season to get Joey to have more fun and loosen up to hit another gear

Another awesome game to be at, We Are Marquette!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 11:48:55 PM by DoctorV »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2019, 11:55:46 PM »
A few thoughts on Chartouny:

Turnovers
No disagreement here -- he's been way too loose with the ball. Is there any light at then end of the tunnel? In 7 games against Top 50 opponents, his turnover rate has been just 19.7% per KenPom. We need him to be a more reliable ball handler the rest of the way.

Outside shooting
Joseph has only taken 32 threes to date, 6th most on the team. He only shoots when he's wide open. And he's actually hit 34.4% of them, slightly higher than his career average (32.5%). I'm okay with that. By the way, he's shooting far better than either Vander Blue (27.7% for his career) or Junior Cadougan (22.1%) from long range.

Defense
Joseph's on-ball defense has looked strong to me. His steal rate (2.6%) is way down from his time at Fordham (5.6% last season). However, it's still best on the team. And I don't think Wojo's defense emphasizes steals much, anyway -- the team's steal percentage (7.2%) is ranked 301st in the country. The emphasis is more on playing good man-to-man defense and contesting shots.

I'll admit that I expected him to perform better. But he has made an important contribution to the team's success so far.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2019, 12:00:05 AM »
Well that’s a hot take

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2019, 12:07:24 AM »
On another note, impressed with just 6 team turnovers for Marquette today. That's a season low -- and only the third time we've finished in single digits (committed 8 against Wisconsin and 9 against Louisville).

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2019, 12:26:53 AM »
By the way, Chartouny had 3 assists today with no turnovers -- plus a steal and a defensive rebound. Not bad for 10 minutes on the court. Perhaps something to build on.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2019, 12:39:10 AM »
Chartouny hasn't been what I hoped he would be....but he's not nearly as bad as some seem to think. Two sides in basketball, can't just look at one of them.

I wouldn't count Cain out yet. I think in this kind of game Wojo couldn't trust him not to lose the ball. Think he will get some run in other matchups.

Agreed with others that I would have given Heldt a try against Watson with Theo in foul trouble and Ed getting abused. But it all worked out so I can't complain too much.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2019, 01:09:07 AM »
I guess I can take offense at your Theo John comment...

GIVE HIM THE DAMN BALL! I sat up close the entire first half and it was obvious. Maybe I should sit further back as I did in the old Bradley Center in the 400 section so things do not seem so clear to me...and I whine less.

But what do you mean it is too early to coronate him best big in the Big East? They could not get on track early because they should have been feeding the post and going inside out with the way Providence was playing and how physical they were.

Don't judge him by this one game. I was sitting next to his folks and we were looking at each other wondering why they were not at least getting some paint touches to draw up some attention down low and free up the perimeter shooters.

MU did not use Theo like Providence used their big

Theo is a difference maker. Quick off his feet to challenge shots. great hands to catch entry passes if and when they are thrown and once he has the rebound, by and large, he does not fumble it. And he passes well and is locked in.

Plus he was called for some weak touch fouls that were ridiculous. He is open all the time on screen and rolls on the high post! PASS IT!!! When he rolls, he has his hands up and is rolling to the rim to finish, pass it dont dance on the perimeter!

Once MU gets that dimension of using the big man with the shooters they will dangerous. His confidence is high. Lets go.     
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 01:11:49 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2019, 01:14:18 AM »
By the way, Chartouny had 3 assists today with no turnovers -- plus a steal and a defensive rebound. Not bad for 10 minutes on the court. Perhaps something to build on.
Anyone could have done that...a non factor.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2019, 01:20:51 AM »
Good teams find ways to win ugly when they don’t have their best games. Outside of Sam I didn’t think anyone played overly well.

Ed should play the Robert Jackson roll on offense. Just stand behind the basket right on the baseline until a driver draws his man to help and finish the drop off pass. He’s very good at that right around the rim. He is not good at catching it on the block and trying to make a post move.
How do you know!? They dont use their bigs like that....they should more.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2019, 07:17:38 AM »
They posted up Theo on one of the first couple of possessions.   He threw up a near airball from 5 feet.    They have been getting him the ball with regularity.    And he has improved greatly.   I enjoy watching him and his energy.    Watson is as big and strong as Theo.   They had a great match up.   Theo was unable to physically dominate him.   27 minutes, 6 rebounds, 5 blocks.   Only credited with one turnover, but there were at least two rebounds that he fumbled away that were not credited as turnovers.    So be it.   I am in no way turning on the kid.    He is only getting better.   
 Providence was only in this game because of their work on the offensive boards.   Defensive rebounding has to be a team effort but it is telling that Markus had more rebounds than Theo.     It is OK.   The strength of the team is the team.    And Theo is a huge and growing part of the reason why this team is doing so well.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2019, 08:08:27 AM »
MU did not use Theo like Providence used their big

And that's good.  Theo is good for a change up, but the offense needs to flow through others.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2019, 08:48:31 AM »
Theo does not get as many rebounds as he could.  He goes flying at every interior shot in an attempt to block the shot, not saying this is bad, in fact i belive the coaches want him  to do this and then send the other 4 in to help rebound. When the other team has a good big this at times can leave 4 “smalls” trying to get rebounds with an opposing big already in position.  I think going forward Theo can improve his decision making in what shots he can block or intimidate n which ones he cant n should stay back n fight for rebounding position.
Additionally, while his offensive accumen has grown exponentially, he is still not much of an option or threat on a post up.  On a pick n roll or a drive draw and dish?, yes.  His post moves are ok at best and he is a black hole.  I think by next year at this griwth rate he can be more of an option next year.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2019, 08:52:12 AM »
Theo does not get as many rebounds as he could.  He goes flying at every interior shot in an attempt to block the shot, not saying this is bad, in fact i belive the coaches want him  to do this and then send the other 4 in to help rebound. When the other team has a good big this at times can leave 4 “smalls” trying to get rebounds with an opposing big already in position.  I think going forward Theo can improve his decision making in what shots he can block or intimidate n which ones he cant n should stay back n fight for rebounding position.
Additionally, while his offensive accumen has grown exponentially, he is still not much of an option or threat on a post up.  On a pick n roll or a drive draw and dish?, yes.  His post moves are ok at best and he is a black hole.  I think by next year at this griwth rate he can be more of an option next year.

This was proven false by advanced metrics in a previous thread discussing theo's rebound numbers vs block attempts.

Further, I believe some teams employ a strategy of using their 5 as a pure block out man and letting the other 4 players go for the rebound. For example, Otule's and Gardner's rebound numbers weren't great. But their role was to prevent their man from getting to the ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2019, 08:52:58 AM »
As Wade commented during the game, boxing out has become a lost art. Why is that?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2019, 08:54:48 AM »
This was proven false by advanced metrics in a previous thread discussing theo's rebound numbers vs block attempts.

Further, I believe some teams employ a strategy of using their 5 as a pure block out man and letting the other 4 players go for the rebound. For example, Otule's and Gardner's rebound numbers weren't great. But their role was to prevent their man from getting to the ball.
Well, to be fair, Gardner could not rebound outside his immediate area and Chris, due to his ocular limitations, could not react to a ball rapidly changing directions, so his best option was to create as much space as he could for teammates. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Danny Noonan

• Starter
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2019, 08:58:17 AM »
On another note, impressed with just 6 team turnovers for Marquette today. That's a season low -- and only the third time we've finished in single digits (committed 8 against Wisconsin and 9 against Louisville).

Excellent point about the turnovers. Markus, Theo and Joey had TO's in the first half that were uncharacteristic as they just bobbled them. Very impressive taking care of the ball.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2019, 09:00:36 AM »
JC's assists were nullified by his absolute air ball shots I believe both resulted in baskets and also on the resulting fast break was backing away from the opponent and gave him a little love tap just enough to get the and 1 called but zero percent chance of contesting the shot. We need to move on and limit him only for breathers for guys ready to play D1 big east basketball. 

Maybe he can gain some confidence back if we ever manage to get garbage time at the end of a game. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2019, 09:10:37 AM »
So...with that logic Cain should play and not be glued to the bench to regain his confidence. After all, Cain did not throw up two airballs today. BTW, Cartooney is not here next year while we will need Cain next year.

Not remotely analogous.
There are multiple alternatives to Cain on the wing (Bailey, Joey, even Sacar) when Sam needs a rest. When  Markus needs a rest ... who's your point if not JC? You want Sam running the point in a tournament game?

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2019, 09:13:56 AM »
Marquette has 3 TOs in the first 4 minutes. 3 more over the next 36.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2019, 09:23:47 AM »
Chartouny's minutes have decreased since BE play has begun. Wojo is seeing his limitations and reacting to them. If Elliott were here, he would probably have JC nailed to the bench. But he's not and he can still play the back up PG role.

Sam and Sacar did fine against Georgetown, who didn't pressure the ball well. I would rather have JC then them for most opponents.

However he has clearly been a disappointment. Of the graduate transfers MU has landed, he has been by far the most limited.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2019, 09:43:54 AM »
Marquette scored on 9 consecutive possessions from the 6:30 mark to the 1:30 mark in the 2nd half. They scored 23 points on those possessions.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2019, 10:09:43 AM »
Marquette scored on 9 consecutive possessions from the 6:30 mark to the 1:30 mark in the 2nd half. They scored 23 points on those possessions.

Pretty sure there was about a 9 possession stretch in the first half where we didn't score.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2019, 10:19:13 AM »
I’m not trying to defend JC cause yes he has been a bit off. But in this game he had some good assists and I do remember 2 very good defensive plays. One of which in the second half I believe, he saw a guy cutting on a low screen and was able to get a hand on the ball which lead to a steal and points on our end when the game was close.

That screen he stepped into and got the steal on, that was the same play that Sam had gotten burned on about 3 times in the first half.

So has he been what we hoped? Nope, but has he been better than most are likely giving him credit for. Yes.

But you can’t have him out there a ton when he’s a bit of a liability on offense.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2019, 10:23:49 AM »
Pretty sure there was about a 9 possession stretch in the first half where we didn't score.

We were stuck on 14 for what seemed like 2 days.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2019, 10:27:04 AM »
There seems to be a lot of negativity here following IMO a pretty solid win.  We had our worst offensive half at the FiFo, and were only down 8 because of our D.  Last year, if we only score 25 in a half, we're probably down 15-25.

Wojo has said it since the beginning of the season; "the strength of our team is our team".  There was no Ed against Gtown, and Theo stepped up and had a big game.  Against PC, Theo struggled with foul trouble, and Ed had an extremely efficient 9 points in 13 minutes.  We should look less at what Ed vs Theo produce, and look more at what Ed + Theo produce.  11 points, 5 blocks, 7 boards from our Center spot is fine.