[Today at 09:50:49 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[Today at 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: PC thoughts (try to not be offended)  (Read 17221 times)

fjm

• All American
Re: PC thoughts (try to not be offended)
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2019, 10:31:35 AM »
There seems to be a lot of negativity here following IMO a pretty solid win.  We had our worst offensive half at the FiFo, and were only down 8 because of our D.  Last year, if we only score 25 in a half, we're probably down 15-25.

Wojo has said it since the beginning of the season; "the strength of our team is our team".  There was no Ed against Gtown, and Theo stepped up and had a big game.  Against PC, Theo struggled with foul trouble, and Ed had an extremely efficient 9 points in 13 minutes.  We should look less at what Ed vs Theo produce, and look more at what Ed + Theo produce.  11 points, 5 blocks, 7 boards from our Center spot is fine.

Agreed on all fronts. Including how dead some of the crowd was. It almost feels like the fan base sees us as a winning team in the top 15 so we shouldn’t have to cheer or try to lift up the team. Have gotten awfully greedy for a team that just a few seasons ago was dead in the water rebuilding.

I also love your Ed comments. There was a guy sitting two rows behind me at the game yelling “get Ed the F out of there! He’s terrible!” Clearly not realizing that he had 9 points and was doing solid relief work.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2019, 10:49:43 AM »
Here's the thing about the 'quiet crowd'.  When things go a little stale on the court, folks get a little nervous, not disinterested.

Every weekend conference game from here on out will be a freakin' sellout or darn near close.  Tickets on the secondary market are routinely going for above face (sometimes way above).  That's the mark of a successful program that has a fully engaged fanbase.

I'm not going to go find the quote but Al always looked up in the corner nosebleeds to see how he was doing.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2019, 10:55:08 AM »
My seats are next to a lovely older fan who knows her MU basketball (season ticket holder forever), but has one horrible, consistent take. 

She calls Theo "soft."

:o

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2019, 10:56:39 AM »
I think the design of the forum has something to do with less "buzz" if you will.  From the curtains to the "acoustic matting designed seats" etc. 

I was in the nosebleeds, there really aren't any anymore, but at some point you could hear the coaches clear as day on the floor , it was actually impressive. 

Was sitting in a section with quite a few providence fans and they were commenting on how you could hear a pin drop in there.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2019, 10:59:05 AM »
I was in the crowd, and thought it was great most of the game.

Very much enjoyed my first Fiserv experience. We were in the 200 level, directly up from the MU bench. and could see everything very well. Much better than upper-level seats at the old place would have been. My section was loud and engaged most of the game. Yeah, there were some grumbles and "come on!"s when we were struggling in the first half, but for the most part there were lots of people on their feet, cheering and high-fiving -- especially as our gallant lads took charge in the second half. I'm going to Wednesday's game, too, and will have much better seats, so I'll be interested in seeing the difference. But I'm impressed big-time.

Sam did in the second half exactly what we needed him to do. Scored, battled their star, got Diallo into foul trouble. Incredible leadership, poise, intelligence and skill shown.

Morrow can't get that T. Could have been crushing for us - we were already down 7 and that could have just handed Providence 5 points. Luckily, Diallo missed a FT and Monroe missed the 3. Ed is not a kid; he's in his 4th year of college, gotta be more disciplined.

JCS obviously lacks confidence, which leads to poor play (especially shooting), which leads to more lost confidence. It's a vicious cycle. I agree with those who say Wojo has little choice against most teams but to keep giving JCS a few minutes here and there because Markus needs some breaks. I also agree that JCS does make a few good defensive plays. But as one of those who urged patience early on, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed.

Theo did just fine. The ball didn't come his way much on offense, and like others he seemed to have fumble-fingers on some rebounds, but he did his primary job. I am no less enthused about his future than I was 2 days ago.

How many would have guessed that we'd go 23-25 from FT line and that Markus would have the 2 misses?

Markus persevered. Wasn't his best game, but he drew a ton of fouls and was there to grab rebounds as the bigs battled. Great example of an outstanding player making a major contribution despite not being at his best. It's what All-Americans do.

Sacar quietly had a good game. He's the kind of role players good teams need.

Props to Wojo. Seemed to make a concerted effort to get the ball inside to Sam in the second half, a strategy that helped change the game. Made us less 3-pointer-centric, got Sam going, got fouls on Diallo and others, opened things up for the shooters, put Friars on their heels. Team played with better defensive intensity, too.

Agree with those who say Heldt could have gotten a few minutes -- as a change of pace and Theo/Ed foul-saver, if nothing else. But that's a pretty minor quibble for me, and it turned out to not be necessary.

Also agree with those who say Providence looks to be a formidable team down the road, if not later this season then next.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2019, 11:28:34 AM »
Ooze used to camp out along the baseline and emerge for the dump off and dunk, too.

Yes, this is how Crean used every big he had on offense

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2019, 01:01:17 PM »
Kinda glad we whiffed on Kalif Young now.

What do you mean?  Just let Todd Smith have him for a year and he'd be All Big East!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2019, 01:08:45 PM »
My seats are next to a lovely older fan who knows her MU basketball (season ticket holder forever), but has one horrible, consistent take. 

She calls Theo "soft."

:o

Glow and I ran into a former section-mate and his bride on Sunday.  I am guessing they are both seventy-somethings.  Theo is her favorite player.  Her husband said, "Yeah, she likes all of his muscles" as she blushed.

This year we have a woman sitting behind us who gasps every time the ball is in the air for any reason

Markus shoots it - *GASP*

Sam passes it to Joey - *GASP*

Opponent accidentally sends the ball out of bounds - *GASP*

I would gladly trade her for your "Theo is soft" lady.
Have some patience, FFS.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2019, 02:03:20 PM »
Glow and I ran into a former section-mate and his bride on Sunday.  I am guessing they are both seventy-somethings.  Theo is her favorite player.  Her husband said, "Yeah, she likes all of his muscles" as she blushed.

This year we have a woman sitting behind us who gasps every time the ball is in the air for any reason

Ah, it could be worse.  You could have 4ever next to you and have to listen to him!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2019, 02:22:46 PM »
I'm in 225 and aside from one guy who consistently screams profanity when we turn the ball over or fail to secure a rebound, the basketball IQ seems pretty high. Pretty sure there are a couple of Scoop/CS guys in that section as well

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2019, 02:24:07 PM »
Ah, it could be worse.  You could have 4ever next to you and have to listen to him!

Have some patience, FFS.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2019, 03:14:45 PM »
I'm in 225 and aside from one guy who consistently screams profanity when we turn the ball over or fail to secure a rebound, the basketball IQ seems pretty high. Pretty sure there are a couple of Scoop/CS guys in that section as well

I definitely rechecked my section number to make sure loud cursing person wasnt me.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2019, 03:20:33 PM »

There are three reasons I prefer to watch at home.

1. Macallan 18
2. Couches
3. Won't offend anyone when I'm cursing.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2019, 03:27:13 PM »

1. Macallan 18
2. Couches

The 18 is child's play 21 or bust
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2019, 03:36:50 PM »

1. Macallan 18
2. Couches

The cursing isn't offensive to me at all, and the only children near us are babies with earmuffs so I say curse away!

The volume could be lowered, though.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2019, 03:44:06 PM »

She really is a delight.  Used to go with her husband until this year, and now he is unable to make it to the games.  I had a nephew who is a junior at MU join me at one game and a nephew who is an 8th grader at another, and she loves chatting with them- but at least it was all about the bball!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2019, 03:47:47 PM »
I'm in 225 and aside from one guy who consistently screams profanity when we turn the ball over or fail to secure a rebound, the basketball IQ seems pretty high.

Older guy in like the 4th/5th row? Dude loves picking on Theo and Markus, especially.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 03:51:05 PM by MUfan12 »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2019, 03:53:54 PM »
Older guy in like the 4th/5th row? Dude loves picking on Theo and Markus, especially.

I never have looked directly, but yes that sounds correct. We're in the 3rd row and he is definitely within two rows of us.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 03:56:47 PM by MUeagle1090 »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2019, 03:56:03 PM »

Envious.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2019, 04:28:22 PM »
We were stuck on 14 for what seemed like 2 days.

You and Chick got to a lot of home games. I'm curious to know which visiting team has the most alum/fans at our home games. I ask because when I go to see MU at the Rock in Newark or when we use to play Rutgers at the RAC in Piscataway there were usually about 500 MU alums at the games.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2019, 05:03:54 PM »

I just won a gift basket at a charity event that filled up some of my cabinet with fresh stock. A couple of 20 year old bourbons and a whistle pig variety setup (10/12/15). Better for after-victory drinks. Too stressed during games to enjoy a good whiskey.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2019, 05:27:12 PM »

We were in 224 yesterday. I hope I wasn't too loud!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2019, 06:16:23 PM »
You and Chick got to a lot of home games. I'm curious to know which visiting team has the most alum/fans at our home games. I ask because when I go to see MU at the Rock in Newark or when we use to play Rutgers at the RAC in Piscataway there were usually about 500 MU alums at the games.

That's a tough one and of course I'm excluding Bucky.  Butler comes to mind because they have somewhat of a common market here in Chicago making the MKE game doable for alums.  We have friends who have kids that went there so there's crossover, for sure.

I know this isn't your question but I was thoroughly impressed Carroll contingency that showed up.  They had really good numbers and had a helluva time.  It was fun to watch.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2019, 06:17:51 PM »
Fracking Louisville fans would show up everywhere.

I remember them filling up two whole sections in the lower part of the AL for the volleyball conference tournament.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2019, 06:20:07 PM »
Chitown's right.  They absolutely travel.

feedback