[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: PC thoughts (try to not be offended)  (Read 17151 times)

tower912

• All American
PC thoughts (try to not be offended)
« on: January 20, 2019, 01:08:00 PM »
1. If MU had held their own on the boards, they win by 20.   Wade said it well that boxing out is a lost art.    Providence stayed in the game through their offensive rebounding.    MU got outworked and had butterfingers.    That was a problem early in the season, but had gotten better recently.   
2.  A tale of two halves..... of officiating.    Very physical first half with a lot of contact not called.     Lots of contact called to start the second half.   
3.  Joey may have hit his proverbial freshman wall.    Sloppy and bad early.    Got better late.   
4.  Providence was far more physical and aggressive.   Daring the officials to call everything.   They flung themselves at the offensive board with reckless abandon.
5.  We can postpone Theo's coronation as best big in the BEast for a while.   Found some guys his size to wrestle with and did not dominate.    But he did block some shots and held his own.  Fumbled away too many rebounds.    He and Watson are going to be fun to watch beat on each other.   
6.  That whole debate about who would be our 8th player is now officially over.
7.  Two airballs, Joe?    And everybody on the floor knew it as soon as they left your hand.
8.  I wonder if Heldt would have been a better option on Watson than Morrow?    For the length, not the width.   Ed got abused.   Maybe still not 100%.   A couple of nice dunks, though.
9.  I liked how PC attacked and trapped out of their zone in spots.    They quit doing it in the second half. 
10.  Markus wasn't sharp by his standards.   Really boring 24 performance.  I don't think MU wins today without him.   
11.   But MU toughed it out, came from 9 down in the first half, survived a BS tech on Morrow, survived the typical inconsistent officiating, survived getting dominated on the boards.    A good team. 
12.   Welcome home, Dwyane.    Thank you.   
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 01:17:22 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: PC thoughts (try to not be offended)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 01:10:58 PM »
TCB’d today, on to DePaul.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 01:12:13 PM »
Sam looked lost early against Diallos pressure

Boy did he heat up.

Made Diallo play his game with the post ups.

We are much better when Joey is on the floor
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 01:13:13 PM »
Outscored them by 20 in the second half. Sure nice to be on the winning end and not the receiving end of that.

Also, mentioned this in the game thread but Providence is gonna be pretty damn good next year if they're healthy. They return everyone except Jackson I believe.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 01:14:44 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 01:14:57 PM »
11. Ed deserved the technical. He got up off the floor and shoved a Friar player.

15.  Worst half of the year. Against a good team, they trail by 20+ at the half. Even so, I never had the feeling they would lose the game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 01:15:19 PM »
Good teams find ways to win ugly when they don’t have their best games. Outside of Sam I didn’t think anyone played overly well.

Ed should play the Robert Jackson roll on offense. Just stand behind the basket right on the baseline until a driver draws his man to help and finish the drop off pass. He’s very good at that right around the rim. He is not good at catching it on the block and trying to make a post move.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 01:16:18 PM »
On 5. He did get 5 blocks. Altered a few others. He also didn't get credit for 2 more blocks that they called fouls on that were clean blocks.

If your bad game includes 5 blocks and 6 rebounds, I'll take that from a big any day. (Agree though, lets hold off on the "best big in the BE")

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 01:16:52 PM »

Ed should play the Robert Jackson roll on offense. Just stand behind the basket right on the baseline until a driver draws his man to help and finish the drop off pass. He’s very good at that right around the rim. He is not good at catching it on the block and trying to make a post move.

Yes.  Could not remember who that was, but that is the right comparison. Camp him down under the basket.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 01:19:42 PM »
PC is a lot better team than their 11-7 record would indicate. When they get their highly talented frosh back they'll start winning more games than they lose.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 01:20:12 PM »
Having Joey back in second half made huge difference.  Ugly win, but got to protect at home.

Knew the streak of Theo not getting in foul trouble was going to end, but he came on strong with 4th foul entering the game.  Very important substitution there. 

Can’t get offensive fouls when you shoot airballs, four in first, one in second.  Two by Joe C., who has some major issues in his game.  16 to 3 in offensive bounds, but many went off the greasy fingers of MU players.

Missed a lot of layups, maybe like 6 to 7?  Strange.   

No Cain, no Heldt, Joe C. only for a few minutes.  Wojo cut rotation big time. 

Nice comeback, protect the home court.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 01:20:43 PM »
Ooze used to camp out along the baseline and emerge for the dump off and dunk, too. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 01:22:09 PM »
That's considered a "blowout" win in the NET rankings correct?

Also, what was our free throw rate. I imagine it had to be pretty good.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 01:24:46 PM »

92% from the line (23/25).

Also it didn't feel like we were 10/22 from 3, at least to me.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 01:27:11 PM »

Take the win and move on. We are going to get every team's best shot. Top 20 ranking means we are an important potential win every game we play.

JC is not BE material. Really a shame. I was hoping for a few good minutes from him.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 01:29:38 PM »
First half was offensive. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 01:32:03 PM »

Wasn't a dissatisfaction with this type of role part of the reason that he transferred from Neb, though? I get that coaches coach and the players play, but maybe an agreement as to a broader role in the offense was part of the understanding when Wojo brought him in.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 01:32:29 PM »
Take the win and move on. We are going to get every team's best shot. Top 20 ranking means we are an important potential win every game we play.

JC is not BE material. Really a shame. I was hoping for a few good minutes from him.

Pretty crazy that most of us thought getting him was what was gonna really help us this year. Turns out we are pretty damn good without him and he’s just lost in BE play right now.

Boy we gonna be scary with Kobe and Greg available next year
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 01:36:17 PM »

He’s fundamentally a pretty good player, he’s just not quick enough. The speed of the BE bothers him. He sees the game well and makes good cuts and good spacing, but he’s not a good shooter and not dynamic enough to create

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 01:38:42 PM »

nyg

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 01:41:29 PM »
He’s fundamentally a pretty good player, he’s just not quick enough. The speed of the BE bothers him. He sees the game well and makes good cuts and good spacing, but he’s not a good shooter and not dynamic enough to create

He played 10 minutes today, probably 8 in the first half due to Joey's foul issues.  No Joey foul issues, he might have played two in first and two in second.  Took two shots, both uncontested and both were airballs.  Wide-open airballs. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 01:42:47 PM »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 01:43:42 PM »
We didn't play well but still won. Mark of a good team.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 01:46:51 PM »
Clearly Joe C has the green light to shoot those - which means he's making them in practice. I don't need know if there's any way to overcome the mental block at this point, but would be great to have him in the role Wojo clearly wants for,him down the stretch.

That said, after his 2nd airball I think they ran the exact same play and Sacar nailed it.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 02:05:41 PM »
Providence wanted an ugly game and got it.
Credit to MU for overcoming and winning by double digits anyhow. This team is proving it can win different games in different wins and, dare I say it, will be dangerous come March.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 02:11:48 PM »

No. There's no such thing as a blowout win in NET. One part of the NET is capped at 10 pts, but winning by more a ton more than 10 is better for your NET than only 10.

FT rate was 46.3%, good for fifth best this year. We're at 35.6% for the year.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback