[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Scottie Pippen Says Zion Williamson Should "Shut It Down" And End Duke Career  (Read 19706 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
I put it here, as opposed to the superbar because if this happens, does Markus become the leader for NPOY?  Or has Zion already done enough to win it?

Scottie Pippen thinks Zion Williamson ought to 'shut it down' and end Duke career early

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/acc/2019/01/16/scottie-pippen-zion-williamson-shut-down-early-duke-nba-draft/2594203002/

Hall of Famer Scottie Pippen said Duke star Zion Williamson has already proved himself enough at the college level and that it's in the 18-year-old's best interest to "shut it down" so he doesn't risk an injury heading into his NBA career.

"I think he's done enough for college basketball, that it's more about him personally now," Pippen said Tuesday as an analyst during a segment on ESPN's "The Jump." "I think for him as a young player (pauses), I would shut it down. I would stop playing, because I feel that he could risk a major injury that could really hurt his career."
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

#UnleashSean

• All American
100% agree. Just like with Henry Ellenson. He owes Duke nothing. The man is going to the NBA in the top 5. Easily. The only reason he should continue to play is because he enjoys playing college ball.

tower912

• All American
It is an extension of the playing in meaningless bowl games argument.  Zion could shut it down now and be the #1 pick.  The question, as it is for all college athletes projected to be high draft picks, is what are the individual's priorities?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:54:02 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
  the young adults might as well enroll in the school of their choice, practice, play a few games then "shut 'er down'  not very good for the college b-ball, but i guess business is business ?-(
don't...don't don't don't don't

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Hope he shuts it down, then maybe the NCAA and NBA will end this farce by requiring kids to go to college who dont want to be in college
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
Of course, Scottie had a few documented instances of 'me-first' during his career, so it is not surprising he would make this argument.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
Superbar.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Tre Jones is out indefinitely, that has to have an effect on Zion.

Love to see both him and Barrett both decide they are done.  That would gut Duke and shake this broken system to its core. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
I put it here, as opposed to the superbar because if this happens, does Markus become the leader for NPOY?  Or has Zion already done enough to win it?

Scottie Pippen thinks Zion Williamson ought to 'shut it down' and end Duke career early

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/acc/2019/01/16/scottie-pippen-zion-williamson-shut-down-early-duke-nba-draft/2594203002/

Hall of Famer Scottie Pippen said Duke star Zion Williamson has already proved himself enough at the college level and that it's in the 18-year-old's best interest to "shut it down" so he doesn't risk an injury heading into his NBA career.

"I think he's done enough for college basketball, that it's more about him personally now," Pippen said Tuesday as an analyst during a segment on ESPN's "The Jump." "I think for him as a young player (pauses), I would shut it down. I would stop playing, because I feel that he could risk a major injury that could really hurt his career."

I hope he does and we can further stop the nonsense of one and dones.  Don’t even bother recruiting them, because enough will do the same that the elite teams will be reduced to nothing.

Absolutely fine by me to end this nonsense.  Then we can get back to college sports played by people who want to play college sports.  Bring it on.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
100% agree. Just like with Henry Ellenson. He owes Duke nothing. The man is going to the NBA in the top 5. Easily. The only reason he should continue to play is because he enjoys playing college ball.

I don't agree with the idea that he owes Duke nothing. Thit's isn't the actual language but the idea is "We pay your tuition (and all other fees and services) you play a basketball season for us." I think quitting now is going back on that deal.

Now if you're saying we should change things so that isn't the deal going forward, I could have that conversation. But right now I don't think it's right to go back on your end of the bargain. If you're worried about injury,  take out an insurance policy.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

CTWarrior

• All American

I agree he has done enough for college basketball if you consider doing nothing for college basketball enough. 

I hope he does quit because I hate Duke the way most of you hate ND and UW.  But if he does, without question he's done more harm than good for college basketball.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Of course, Scottie had a few documented instances of 'me-first' during his career, so it is not surprising he would make this argument.

Who cares.

Duke and the NCAA are making so much money off Zion, while he can’t.

If it’s allowed, (I’m honestly not sure what the rule is) let him quit school completely, aight a shoe deal and make some money off commercials before he even gets to the NBA.

forgetful

• All American
Who cares.

Duke and the NCAA are making so much money off Zion, while he can’t.

If it’s allowed, (I’m honestly not sure what the rule is) let him quit school completely, aight a shoe deal and make some money off commercials before he even gets to the NBA.

Duke isn't selling any more tickets, or selling any more jerseys, or anything else because Zion is there. Duke sells because of Duke.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Superbar.
Ludum habemus.

Lennys Tap

• All American

Absolutely fine by me to end this nonsense.  Then we can get back to college sports played by people who want to play college sports.  Bring it on.

Yep - The last thing college basketball needs are one and done and two and ones (like D Wade) need apply. Four years or bust!

warriorfred

• All American
Take the money and leave Duke (not just because I hate Duke - that's just a bonus).

Seriously, take the money.

mr.MUskie

• All American
So, 1/2 and done?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
I don't agree with the idea that he owes Duke nothing. Thit's isn't the actual language but the idea is "We pay your tuition (and all other fees and services) you play a basketball season for us." I think quitting now is going back on that deal.

Now if you're saying we should change things so that isn't the deal going forward, I could have that conversation. But right now I don't think it's right to go back on your end of the bargain. If you're worried about injury,  take out an insurance policy.
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Duke isn't selling any more tickets, or selling any more jerseys, or anything else because Zion is there. Duke sells because of Duke.

Bingo
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Yep - The last thing college basketball needs are one and done and two and ones (like D Wade) need apply. Four years or bust!

Wade was at MU 3 years

Never did I say 4 years or bust, but one year is ridiculous. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
ESPN would have to launch ESPNZion.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
From a financial perspective, there’s zero benefit in continuing to pretend he’s a Duke student. He should go not because of injury risk (any decent agent would have secured an enormous insurance policy for him) but to stick it to the ultimate hypocrites at Duke. Anyone who really believes people are tuning in to Duke games just to watch the school, and not Zion, irretrievably lack common sense and should be forced into a prolonged dinner with four Duke alumni as punishment.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
From a financial perspective, there’s zero benefit in continuing to pretend he’s a Duke student. He should go not because of injury risk (any decent agent would have secured an enormous insurance policy for him) but to stick it to the ultimate hypocrites at Duke. Anyone who really believes people are tuning in to Duke games just to watch the school, and not Zion, irretrievably lack common sense and should be forced into a prolonged dinner with four Duke alumni as punishment.

I believe the maximum insurance contract is $5 million.  A Nerlens Noel knee injury at Kentucky or a Joel Embiid type foot injury can cost him orders of magnitude more than this.

Bill Rafferty said he could be the first NBA player with $1 billion in career earnings. 

So, if you are thinking this is unfair.  Zion should drop out now and send Duke $40k for the remaining tuition and room and board and go earn his billions.

It is almost unfair if he stays and gets hurt.  Is Duke going to cover the millions he loses?  Are they going to cover Tre Jones lost wages?

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
I believe the maximum insurance contract is $5 million.  A Nerlens Noel knee injury at Kentucky or a Joel Embiid type foot injury can cost him orders of magnitude more than this.

Bill Rafferty said he could be the first NBA player with $1 billion in career earnings. 

So, if you are thinking this is unfair.  Zion should drop out now and send Duke $40k for the remaining tuition and room and board and go earn his billions.

It is almost unfair if he stays and gets hurt.  Is Duke going to cover the millions he loses?  Are they going to cover Tre Jones lost wages?

Oh, I’m with you here. If the amount he’s insured is capped at such a small figure, he shouldn’t play another second of CBB.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger

Really?  So all these years when every game that was sold out or people viewed without Zion was a lie?  When he is gone next year no one will be watching Zion?  Lol