collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What theatre shows have you seen?  (Read 8874 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
What theatre shows have you seen?
« on: January 10, 2019, 11:10:19 PM »
Figured we have TV, movies, music, why not throw in a little bit of theatre.

Finally saw Hamilton, and I was a little worried it wouldn’t live up to the hype but it was tremendous.

Super talented cast, and Lin Manuel Miranda is one heck of a writer.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: What theatre shows have you seen?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 12:05:43 AM »
Jersey boys is so good. Saw the original cast in Chicago.

Book of mormon was awful. 

Lots of Shakespeare going back to high school.

Love the really small, indy theatres,  maybe 50 people there.  About the only time I'll sit through crap.  And a lot of it is total crap.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 07:39:25 AM »
While in NYC theBabyDavid's mom dragged me to Come From Away. I went reluctantly but would go again in a heartbeat.

Superbly crafted theatre telling the story of how Gander, N.L. sheltered stranded air travelers in the immediate aftermath of 9/11.

Their PM is a schmuck but the Canadian people are fabulous.
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 07:48:31 AM »

theBabyDavid

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 07:48:56 AM »
I saw Hamilton with my daughter last fall, and it certainly lived up to the hype in my opinion.  I think it's a brilliant show.

Focusing on the bigger touring shows, off the top of my head I've also seen:

Evita
Phantom of the Opera
West Side Story
Cats
Jesus Christ Superstar
Rent
A Chorus Line
My Fair Lady

I've never seen anything in NYC, but I'd love to.  Historically, Evita was one of my favorites, but Hamilton is in the discussion.  I really liked Rent, but listened to it recently with my daughter (who loved it) and it is really dated (I still enjoy the music, though).

I've seen countless smaller shows and, like Ziggy, love smaller theaters.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 07:49:31 AM »
Not only no but F#ck no.

Your loss, Crash.  It's fantastic.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 07:57:56 AM »
I've never seen anything in NYC, but I'd love to.

American theatre is, as your list demonstrates, given more to big musicals. If ever in London, a night or two in Covent Garden is mandatory. London's theatre scene is broader and is generally staged in more intimate venues.

I saw Rent and Miss Saigon in both NYC and London and the Brit productions were the better.

But if given a choice between Andrew Lloyd Webber or Noel Coward I would take Coward every time.

theBabyDavid

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 08:04:54 AM »

American theatre is, as your list demonstrates, given more to big musicals. If ever in London, a night or two in Covent Garden is mandatory. London's theatre scene is broader and is generally staged in more intimate venues.

I saw Rent and Miss Saigon in both NYC and London and the Brit productions were the better.

But if given a choice between Andrew Lloyd Webber or Noel Coward I would take Coward every time.

As would I.  And there are many, many others I'd add to that list.  I was very involved in theater years ago and used to see a lot.  But, as my children grew older, more and more of our "entertainment" time was spent watching their sporting events, concerts, shows, etc.  During that time, my rare theater-going has been geared more toward the bigger touring shows which, as you noted, tend to be musicals.  As they're getting older, I intend to return to more of stuff I used to watch.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 08:07:29 AM »
Your loss, Crash.  It's fantastic.

I get that people like it but, compared with anything by David Mamet, G B Shaw, Samuel Beckett, O Wilde, Pinter, Camus, etc..., it simply misses the mark.

I see it as pageantry versus thought provoking. Which is precisely why I don't care for ALW, as well.

theBabyDavid

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 08:13:53 AM »
I get that people like it but, compared with anything by David Mamet, G B Shaw, Samuel Beckett, O Wilde, Pinter, Camus, etc..., it simply misses the mark.

I see it as pageantry versus thought provoking. Which is precisely why I don't care for ALW, as well.

Well, if you're going to give a "Not only no but F#ck no" to anything that doesn't live up to the greatest playwrights and authors history has to offer, you're going to severely limit yourself.  Pageantry, done well, can be quite enjoyable even if it does not live up to your impeccable intellectual standards.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 08:16:03 AM »
As would I.  And there are many, many others I'd add to that list.  I was very involved in theater years ago and used to see a lot.  But, as my children grew older, more and more of our "entertainment" time was spent watching their sporting events, concerts, shows, etc.  During that time, my rare theater-going has been geared more toward the bigger touring shows which, as you noted, tend to be musicals.  As they're getting older, I intend to return to more of stuff I used to watch.

Durango

When in NYC do check out one of the bigger venues but also look at the off-Broadway fare.

Another superb option is college productions. Here in Seattle, we support the U Dub School of Drama. The Jones Playhouse is the right size and the fare is always well done.

I recall while in Milwaukee we used to have tix to Theatre X which offered compelling, thought-provoking drama. Not sure if they are still around. Willem Defoe was one of the regular cast back in the day.

theBabyDavid

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 08:19:26 AM »
Well, if you're going to give a "Not only no but F#ck no" to anything that doesn't live up to the greatest playwrights and authors history has to offer, you're going to severely limit yourself.  Pageantry, done well, can be quite enjoyable even if it does not live up to your impeccable intellectual standards.

C'mon, I think you know why I detest Hamilton. I will not ever attend anything by a cast who pulled what these guys did to the VP-elect. It was churlish, at best.

theBabyDavid

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 08:20:05 AM »
Book of Mormon was awful. 
I don't know about awful, but given the hype, it was terribly disappointing.  It was OK, I guess.

Living in CT and being a 70 minute train ride from Times Square, I go to Broadway maybe once every other year, usually based on what my wife wants to see.

One of the funniest I've seen recently is something called A Gentlemen's Guide to Love and Murder.  Not running in NYC now, but if you see a travelling show its worth a look.

We've seen some Disney ones, and The Lion King is pretty great due to the sets and costumes.  You know the story.

I've never seen a drama I liked.

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 08:21:51 AM »
I've never seen a drama I liked.

Not a one???

theBabyDavid

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 08:28:14 AM »
Durango

When in NYC do check out one of the bigger venues but also look at the off-Broadway fare.

Another superb option is college productions. Here in Seattle, we support the U Dub School of Drama. The Jones Playhouse is the right size and the fare is always well done.

I recall while in Milwaukee we used to have tix to Theatre X which offered compelling, thought-provoking drama. Not sure if they are still around. Willem Defoe was one of the regular cast back in the day.

I will.  I was actually a theater major for my first three semesters at Marquette, and remained actively involved throughout my entire time.  I worked in the scene shop at MU as my work study job for several years, and also worked on some shows at the Milwaukee Rep in various capacities.  The Rep was a great theater with several spaces, and I saw pretty much everything they did there while in Milwaukee.  They did some really great (and experimental) stuff.  Working on (in a very limited capacity) and seeing the English language premier of a show called The Miracle at the Rep was honestly one of the highlights of my years in Milwaukee.

As I said, I miss it and would like to get back to it.  With the kids leaving, I'll have more opportunity.  The Cleveland Play House is quite good, so I'll likely start there.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 08:30:30 AM »

I agree with you here.  Not a fan.

The missus is a huge musical fan and goes off to NYC with her sisters every other year or so to see both new and traditional stuff.  She has taken me to a few in Chicago and to touring productions in Milwaukee and dinner theatres all over the area.  We tend to like traditional musicals without a lot of pageantry.  So I would say our favorites are "West Side Story" and "Fiddler on the Roof."  A good production of "South Pacific" is good too.  And lest you think I just like the old stuff, I loved "Kinky Boots" as well.

The best show I have seen, and the exception to my dislike of ALW, was "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" with Donny Osmond as the lead.  Blew.  Me.  Away.  25 years ago.  Sigh.

Disliked "Wicked."  An assault on the eyes that diverts you from a bland story and nothing memorable musically.  Haven't seen "Hamilton."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 08:32:27 AM »
C'mon, I think you know why I detest Hamilton. I will not ever attend anything by a cast who pulled what these guys did to the VP-elect. It was churlish, at best.

I agree.  And if you'd copped to that in your first response, I would have left it alone.  But you'd lose respect for me if I just sat idly after you said you'd seen both Rent and Miss Saigon twice, but wouldn't see Hamilton because it's mere pageantry.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 08:37:40 AM »
Not a one???

Not a one, though admittedly after seeing three or so, I decided to not go to them any more.  That sort of thing works better as a movie for me, I think.  I always say the just because I don't like something, it doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile or good.  Just means I didn't like it.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 08:43:09 AM »
I will.  I was actually a theater major for my first three semesters at Marquette, and remained actively involved throughout my entire time.  I worked in the scene shop at MU as my work study job for several years, and also worked on some shows at the Milwaukee Rep in various capacities.  The Rep was a great theater with several spaces, and I saw pretty much everything they did there while in Milwaukee.  They did some really great (and experimental) stuff.  Working on (in a very limited capacity) and seeing the English language premier of a show called The Miracle at the Rep was honestly one of the highlights of my years in Milwaukee.

As I said, I miss it and would like to get back to it.  With the kids leaving, I'll have more opportunity.  The Cleveland Play House is quite good, so I'll likely start there.

On any given weekend in Seattle we have so many options for getting out to decompress. Miss Wendy usually dictates what we do and thankfully she balances theatre, the SSO, Jazz Alley, wine tasting, or gathering with friends over dinner (paired with great WA wines, of course.)

If one were to ask which of those I prefer most I would answer, all of them.

I do know that as theBabyDavid grows his activities will begin to elbow aside some of our current pasttimes. The price of marrying a 30 something.   

theBabyDavid

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 08:43:28 AM »
We made it through almost a full page of this thread and no one has made fun of me for missing the Villanova upset to see Hamilton?  Guess I'll do it myself...

SaveOD...you're an idiot!  (but it was cool to see Wayne Brady as Burr).

Another favorite theatre story is from my folks.  My dad is a minister, and he and my mom went to see the Book of Mormon in Milwaukee a few years ago.  At intermission, after the "F*** you God" song, they ran into very embarrassed church members in the lobby who couldn't believe that their pastor saw them at such a sacrilegious show.  FWIW, my folks loved it (I did too).

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 08:44:51 AM »
I agree.  And if you'd copped to that in your first response, I would have left it alone.  But you'd lose respect for me if I just sat idly after you said you'd seen both Rent and Miss Saigon twice, but wouldn't see Hamilton because it's mere pageantry.

As always, we're good, Durango. That made me laugh.

theBabyDavid

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019, 08:51:03 AM »
Not a one, though admittedly after seeing three or so, I decided to not go to them any more.  That sort of thing works better as a movie for me, I think.  I always say the just because I don't like something, it doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile or good.  Just means I didn't like it.

It's all good. I am not a fan of musicals, per se, but I will find some which I can appreciate. Would I go to see a musical of my own volition? Probably not.

I do enjoy drama, however. And comedies. I think a West End production of The Importance of Being Earnest was the singularly most hilarious show I have ever enjoyed.

It all comes down to the classic Ginger v Mary Ann conundrum.

theBabyDavid

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2019, 08:56:56 AM »
Never seen one in NYC or London but the traveling shows are pretty good.

Hamilton
-Rent (3 times)
-1776 (4 times, it's flat out my favorite musical going all the way back to when I saw the movie as a little kid which starred Gwenyth Paltrow's mom, the White Shadow, and Mister Feeney)*
-Spamalot (2 times, not sure how I managed it but got tickets to opening night in Chicago as it started off-broadway so my brother and I got to watch it with Tim Curry, David Hyde Pierce, Hank Azaria, and Sara Ramirez in the cast with Eric Idle in the audience. Best theater experience I've ever had)
-Phantom (2 times)
-Wicked
-Les Mis
-Jersey Boys (while I like the Four Seasons music I kind of hated the musical)
-Book of Mormon (which I loved unlike some but I'm ride or die for anything the South Park boys do)

*The stage musical has a song called Cool, Cool Considerate Men that isn't in the movie, first time I saw the stage production I was so confused by the extra song and then it was explained to me that when they made the movie in 1972 the song was cut because of pressure from Tricky Dick. Mind blown
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 08:57:11 AM »
ZFB is a member of the international thespians society,  earned from stage crew in high school.   Plus a single walk on appearance in Oklahoma my senior year (I was a cowboy).

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 08:59:49 AM »
We made it through almost a full page of this thread and no one has made fun of me for missing the Villanova upset to see Hamilton?  Guess I'll do it myself...

SaveOD...you're an idiot!  (but it was cool to see Wayne Brady as Burr).

Another favorite theatre story is from my folks.  My dad is a minister, and he and my mom went to see the Book of Mormon in Milwaukee a few years ago.  At intermission, after the "F*** you God" song, they ran into very embarrassed church members in the lobby who couldn't believe that their pastor saw them at such a sacrilegious show.  FWIW, my folks loved it (I did too).

Saw Hamilton with Wayne Brady in Chicago as well. Loved Hamilton overall but I actually thought Wayne Brady didn't add anything so to speak. That dude is super talented and all, but I didn't think they needed a "name" and some of the other cast was actually more talented than him, at least within that genre of theater. Then again maybe I couldn't get the Chappelle show sketch of "is Wayne Brady gonna have to chock a b#$ch" out of my head.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

feedback