[Today at 12:28:56 AM]

NCAA Sites by TallTitan34
[Today at 12:27:57 AM]

Big East Conference Results by RJax55
[January 23, 2019, 11:54:07 PM]

At 2 am, after enough beers, it might be a pretty win by WarriorFan
[January 23, 2019, 11:52:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What theatre shows have you seen?  (Read 726 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: What theatre shows have you seen?
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2019, 03:46:25 PM »
Saw Les Mis when I was in in London. Surprisingly tickets weren’t that expensive.

But man when that first note of “Look Down” hit, I got chills.

I seen virtually every musical mentioned in this thread and totally agree that Les Miserables is head and shoulders #1. Seen it three times and would see it again in a heartbeat.

Among those not mentioned, I liked "Beautiful", the story about Carol King before her move to the west cost.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 10:49:17 AM by Lennys Tap »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • There's been no evidence of collu... Oh, wait...
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2019, 08:25:24 PM »
Saw Chicago and The Producers on Broadway.

The former was OK, the latter was awesome.

21Jumpstreet

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2019, 07:44:58 AM »
Have seen a lot of the newer biggies: Hamilton, Chicago, Wicked, Phantom, West Side Story, Rent, Book of Mormon, Stomp, on and on, mostly in Chicago and Milwaukee, some others in excellent smaller theaters, some plays, love the ballet and symphony, all great. I’m not too much of a critic as these performers do something I can only dream of being able to do.

Biggest Surprise: American Idiot

Biggest Dud: Jesus Christ Superstar (with an aged Ted Neeley that couldn’t quite hit the money note)

Big Dad Win: Empire Strikes Back by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (played the score along with showing the movie, awesome)

London: Saw We Will Rock You (I love Queen and Freddie)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 07:57:54 AM by 21Jumpstreet »

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2019, 03:28:22 PM »
The most recent show I’ve seen on Broadway was Hamilton.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2019, 03:39:31 PM »
I saw Mamma Mia many years ago in Hong Kong with a traveling Aussie cast.  After the show - which was great - they stayed back and did a bunch more Abba songs with the orchestra.  The whole audience was dancing in the aisles for an extra 40 minutes or so.

UWSP used to do summer stock (maybe they still do) so I've been to every musical you can imagine starting from there and later in London, Broadway, Singapore, HK, and Chicago.

My one bit of advice - look for the "home" casts... the ones that stay in a single theater for years.  The cast, the set, the whole performance will be better than the traveling groups. 

London tix can be bought online just as cheap as the discount booths these days.

Some of the London theatres have really changed.  Saw Rock of Ages there and it's not even semi-formal any more.  Everyone was in shorts and t-shirts and vendors were selling beer and snacks in the aisles during the show.  It was a lot of fun.  Overall London is a lot less formal than it used to be - even for the top end shows.  No need to really dress up unless you're going to an opening or closing. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2019, 05:32:46 PM »
I, too, did theater in high school.    Including the lead in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.      Good time.   
These days, whatever is coming to town that is relatively family friendly and fits into our schedule.

I played Schroeder in "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown" when I was at MU. I also played Judd in Oklahoma with the Princeton Playhouse players at the McCarter Theatre after I graduated MU.

I still sing with the Capital Singers of Trenton.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 05:34:35 PM by muwarrior69 »

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2019, 07:40:30 PM »
I was disappointed with Book of Mormon. It was entertaining, but completely unmemorable.

I had been going regularly to Steppenwolf in Chicago. Generally pretty amazing across the board.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.