[Today at 09:08:51 AM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What theatre shows have you seen?  (Read 8939 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
What theatre shows have you seen?
« on: January 10, 2019, 11:10:19 PM »
Figured we have TV, movies, music, why not throw in a little bit of theatre.

Finally saw Hamilton, and I was a little worried it wouldn’t live up to the hype but it was tremendous.

Super talented cast, and Lin Manuel Miranda is one heck of a writer.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: What theatre shows have you seen?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 12:05:43 AM »
Jersey boys is so good. Saw the original cast in Chicago.

Book of mormon was awful. 

Lots of Shakespeare going back to high school.

Love the really small, indy theatres,  maybe 50 people there.  About the only time I'll sit through crap.  And a lot of it is total crap.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 07:39:25 AM »
While in NYC theBabyDavid's mom dragged me to Come From Away. I went reluctantly but would go again in a heartbeat.

Superbly crafted theatre telling the story of how Gander, N.L. sheltered stranded air travelers in the immediate aftermath of 9/11.

Their PM is a schmuck but the Canadian people are fabulous.
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 07:48:31 AM »

theBabyDavid

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 07:48:56 AM »
I saw Hamilton with my daughter last fall, and it certainly lived up to the hype in my opinion.  I think it's a brilliant show.

Focusing on the bigger touring shows, off the top of my head I've also seen:

Evita
Phantom of the Opera
West Side Story
Cats
Jesus Christ Superstar
Rent
A Chorus Line
My Fair Lady

I've never seen anything in NYC, but I'd love to.  Historically, Evita was one of my favorites, but Hamilton is in the discussion.  I really liked Rent, but listened to it recently with my daughter (who loved it) and it is really dated (I still enjoy the music, though).

I've seen countless smaller shows and, like Ziggy, love smaller theaters.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 07:49:31 AM »
Not only no but F#ck no.

Your loss, Crash.  It's fantastic.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 07:57:56 AM »
I've never seen anything in NYC, but I'd love to.

American theatre is, as your list demonstrates, given more to big musicals. If ever in London, a night or two in Covent Garden is mandatory. London's theatre scene is broader and is generally staged in more intimate venues.

I saw Rent and Miss Saigon in both NYC and London and the Brit productions were the better.

But if given a choice between Andrew Lloyd Webber or Noel Coward I would take Coward every time.

theBabyDavid

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 08:04:54 AM »

American theatre is, as your list demonstrates, given more to big musicals. If ever in London, a night or two in Covent Garden is mandatory. London's theatre scene is broader and is generally staged in more intimate venues.

I saw Rent and Miss Saigon in both NYC and London and the Brit productions were the better.

But if given a choice between Andrew Lloyd Webber or Noel Coward I would take Coward every time.

As would I.  And there are many, many others I'd add to that list.  I was very involved in theater years ago and used to see a lot.  But, as my children grew older, more and more of our "entertainment" time was spent watching their sporting events, concerts, shows, etc.  During that time, my rare theater-going has been geared more toward the bigger touring shows which, as you noted, tend to be musicals.  As they're getting older, I intend to return to more of stuff I used to watch.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 08:07:29 AM »
Your loss, Crash.  It's fantastic.

I get that people like it but, compared with anything by David Mamet, G B Shaw, Samuel Beckett, O Wilde, Pinter, Camus, etc..., it simply misses the mark.

I see it as pageantry versus thought provoking. Which is precisely why I don't care for ALW, as well.

theBabyDavid

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 08:13:53 AM »
I get that people like it but, compared with anything by David Mamet, G B Shaw, Samuel Beckett, O Wilde, Pinter, Camus, etc..., it simply misses the mark.

I see it as pageantry versus thought provoking. Which is precisely why I don't care for ALW, as well.

Well, if you're going to give a "Not only no but F#ck no" to anything that doesn't live up to the greatest playwrights and authors history has to offer, you're going to severely limit yourself.  Pageantry, done well, can be quite enjoyable even if it does not live up to your impeccable intellectual standards.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 08:16:03 AM »
As would I.  And there are many, many others I'd add to that list.  I was very involved in theater years ago and used to see a lot.  But, as my children grew older, more and more of our "entertainment" time was spent watching their sporting events, concerts, shows, etc.  During that time, my rare theater-going has been geared more toward the bigger touring shows which, as you noted, tend to be musicals.  As they're getting older, I intend to return to more of stuff I used to watch.

Durango

When in NYC do check out one of the bigger venues but also look at the off-Broadway fare.

Another superb option is college productions. Here in Seattle, we support the U Dub School of Drama. The Jones Playhouse is the right size and the fare is always well done.

I recall while in Milwaukee we used to have tix to Theatre X which offered compelling, thought-provoking drama. Not sure if they are still around. Willem Defoe was one of the regular cast back in the day.

theBabyDavid

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 08:19:26 AM »
Well, if you're going to give a "Not only no but F#ck no" to anything that doesn't live up to the greatest playwrights and authors history has to offer, you're going to severely limit yourself.  Pageantry, done well, can be quite enjoyable even if it does not live up to your impeccable intellectual standards.

C'mon, I think you know why I detest Hamilton. I will not ever attend anything by a cast who pulled what these guys did to the VP-elect. It was churlish, at best.

theBabyDavid

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 08:20:05 AM »
Book of Mormon was awful. 
I don't know about awful, but given the hype, it was terribly disappointing.  It was OK, I guess.

Living in CT and being a 70 minute train ride from Times Square, I go to Broadway maybe once every other year, usually based on what my wife wants to see.

One of the funniest I've seen recently is something called A Gentlemen's Guide to Love and Murder.  Not running in NYC now, but if you see a travelling show its worth a look.

We've seen some Disney ones, and The Lion King is pretty great due to the sets and costumes.  You know the story.

I've never seen a drama I liked.

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 08:21:51 AM »

Not a one???

theBabyDavid

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 08:28:14 AM »
Durango

When in NYC do check out one of the bigger venues but also look at the off-Broadway fare.

Another superb option is college productions. Here in Seattle, we support the U Dub School of Drama. The Jones Playhouse is the right size and the fare is always well done.

I recall while in Milwaukee we used to have tix to Theatre X which offered compelling, thought-provoking drama. Not sure if they are still around. Willem Defoe was one of the regular cast back in the day.

I will.  I was actually a theater major for my first three semesters at Marquette, and remained actively involved throughout my entire time.  I worked in the scene shop at MU as my work study job for several years, and also worked on some shows at the Milwaukee Rep in various capacities.  The Rep was a great theater with several spaces, and I saw pretty much everything they did there while in Milwaukee.  They did some really great (and experimental) stuff.  Working on (in a very limited capacity) and seeing the English language premier of a show called The Miracle at the Rep was honestly one of the highlights of my years in Milwaukee.

As I said, I miss it and would like to get back to it.  With the kids leaving, I'll have more opportunity.  The Cleveland Play House is quite good, so I'll likely start there.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 08:30:30 AM »

I agree with you here.  Not a fan.

The missus is a huge musical fan and goes off to NYC with her sisters every other year or so to see both new and traditional stuff.  She has taken me to a few in Chicago and to touring productions in Milwaukee and dinner theatres all over the area.  We tend to like traditional musicals without a lot of pageantry.  So I would say our favorites are "West Side Story" and "Fiddler on the Roof."  A good production of "South Pacific" is good too.  And lest you think I just like the old stuff, I loved "Kinky Boots" as well.

The best show I have seen, and the exception to my dislike of ALW, was "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" with Donny Osmond as the lead.  Blew.  Me.  Away.  25 years ago.  Sigh.

Disliked "Wicked."  An assault on the eyes that diverts you from a bland story and nothing memorable musically.  Haven't seen "Hamilton."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 08:32:27 AM »
C'mon, I think you know why I detest Hamilton. I will not ever attend anything by a cast who pulled what these guys did to the VP-elect. It was churlish, at best.

I agree.  And if you'd copped to that in your first response, I would have left it alone.  But you'd lose respect for me if I just sat idly after you said you'd seen both Rent and Miss Saigon twice, but wouldn't see Hamilton because it's mere pageantry.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 08:37:40 AM »
Not a one???

Not a one, though admittedly after seeing three or so, I decided to not go to them any more.  That sort of thing works better as a movie for me, I think.  I always say the just because I don't like something, it doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile or good.  Just means I didn't like it.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 08:43:09 AM »
I will.  I was actually a theater major for my first three semesters at Marquette, and remained actively involved throughout my entire time.  I worked in the scene shop at MU as my work study job for several years, and also worked on some shows at the Milwaukee Rep in various capacities.  The Rep was a great theater with several spaces, and I saw pretty much everything they did there while in Milwaukee.  They did some really great (and experimental) stuff.  Working on (in a very limited capacity) and seeing the English language premier of a show called The Miracle at the Rep was honestly one of the highlights of my years in Milwaukee.

As I said, I miss it and would like to get back to it.  With the kids leaving, I'll have more opportunity.  The Cleveland Play House is quite good, so I'll likely start there.

On any given weekend in Seattle we have so many options for getting out to decompress. Miss Wendy usually dictates what we do and thankfully she balances theatre, the SSO, Jazz Alley, wine tasting, or gathering with friends over dinner (paired with great WA wines, of course.)

If one were to ask which of those I prefer most I would answer, all of them.

I do know that as theBabyDavid grows his activities will begin to elbow aside some of our current pasttimes. The price of marrying a 30 something.   

theBabyDavid

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 08:43:28 AM »
We made it through almost a full page of this thread and no one has made fun of me for missing the Villanova upset to see Hamilton?  Guess I'll do it myself...

SaveOD...you're an idiot!  (but it was cool to see Wayne Brady as Burr).

Another favorite theatre story is from my folks.  My dad is a minister, and he and my mom went to see the Book of Mormon in Milwaukee a few years ago.  At intermission, after the "F*** you God" song, they ran into very embarrassed church members in the lobby who couldn't believe that their pastor saw them at such a sacrilegious show.  FWIW, my folks loved it (I did too).

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 08:44:51 AM »
I agree.  And if you'd copped to that in your first response, I would have left it alone.  But you'd lose respect for me if I just sat idly after you said you'd seen both Rent and Miss Saigon twice, but wouldn't see Hamilton because it's mere pageantry.

As always, we're good, Durango. That made me laugh.

theBabyDavid

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019, 08:51:03 AM »
Not a one, though admittedly after seeing three or so, I decided to not go to them any more.  That sort of thing works better as a movie for me, I think.  I always say the just because I don't like something, it doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile or good.  Just means I didn't like it.

It's all good. I am not a fan of musicals, per se, but I will find some which I can appreciate. Would I go to see a musical of my own volition? Probably not.

I do enjoy drama, however. And comedies. I think a West End production of The Importance of Being Earnest was the singularly most hilarious show I have ever enjoyed.

It all comes down to the classic Ginger v Mary Ann conundrum.

theBabyDavid

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2019, 08:56:56 AM »
Never seen one in NYC or London but the traveling shows are pretty good.

Hamilton
-Rent (3 times)
-1776 (4 times, it's flat out my favorite musical going all the way back to when I saw the movie as a little kid which starred Gwenyth Paltrow's mom, the White Shadow, and Mister Feeney)*
-Spamalot (2 times, not sure how I managed it but got tickets to opening night in Chicago as it started off-broadway so my brother and I got to watch it with Tim Curry, David Hyde Pierce, Hank Azaria, and Sara Ramirez in the cast with Eric Idle in the audience. Best theater experience I've ever had)
-Phantom (2 times)
-Wicked
-Les Mis
-Jersey Boys (while I like the Four Seasons music I kind of hated the musical)
-Book of Mormon (which I loved unlike some but I'm ride or die for anything the South Park boys do)

*The stage musical has a song called Cool, Cool Considerate Men that isn't in the movie, first time I saw the stage production I was so confused by the extra song and then it was explained to me that when they made the movie in 1972 the song was cut because of pressure from Tricky Dick. Mind blown
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 08:57:11 AM »
ZFB is a member of the international thespians society,  earned from stage crew in high school.   Plus a single walk on appearance in Oklahoma my senior year (I was a cowboy).

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 08:59:49 AM »
We made it through almost a full page of this thread and no one has made fun of me for missing the Villanova upset to see Hamilton?  Guess I'll do it myself...

SaveOD...you're an idiot!  (but it was cool to see Wayne Brady as Burr).

Another favorite theatre story is from my folks.  My dad is a minister, and he and my mom went to see the Book of Mormon in Milwaukee a few years ago.  At intermission, after the "F*** you God" song, they ran into very embarrassed church members in the lobby who couldn't believe that their pastor saw them at such a sacrilegious show.  FWIW, my folks loved it (I did too).

Saw Hamilton with Wayne Brady in Chicago as well. Loved Hamilton overall but I actually thought Wayne Brady didn't add anything so to speak. That dude is super talented and all, but I didn't think they needed a "name" and some of the other cast was actually more talented than him, at least within that genre of theater. Then again maybe I couldn't get the Chappelle show sketch of "is Wayne Brady gonna have to chock a b#$ch" out of my head.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 09:00:15 AM »
ZFB is a member of the international thespians society,  earned from stage crew in high school.   Plus a single walk on appearance in Oklahoma my senior year (I was a cowboy).

That explains the assless chaps I guess.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2019, 09:01:21 AM »
I, too, did theater in high school.    Including the lead in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.      Good time.   
These days, whatever is coming to town that is relatively family friendly and fits into our schedule.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2019, 09:05:12 AM »
I don't know about awful, but given the hype, it was terribly disappointing.  It was OK, I guess.

Living in CT and being a 70 minute train ride from Times Square, I go to Broadway maybe once every other year, usually based on what my wife wants to see.

One of the funniest I've seen recently is something called A Gentlemen's Guide to Love and Murder.  Not running in NYC now, but if you see a travelling show its worth a look.

We've seen some Disney ones, and The Lion King is pretty great due to the sets and costumes.  You know the story.

Curtain Call Theater in Stamford will be putting on Gentlemen’s Guide in the Spring. My sister is the stage manager. Great theater company that, because of its proximity to NYC, gets some phenomenal quality talent.

Also, if anyone happens to be in NYC both Waitress and Dear Evan Hansen are worth seeing. Sara Bareilles, who wrote Waitress, will be rejoining the cast for a limited run. About a year ago I saw a production with her and Jason Mraz in the two lead roles. It was fantastic.

In terms of Hamilton I have seen it 3 times. Once in Chicago and twice on Broadway. There were certain actors in the Chicago production that were better than the Broadway cast and vice versa. However, from a mere cost standpoint it’s almost cheaper to fly to Chicago and see it than it is to see it on Broadway.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2019, 09:15:02 AM »
That explains the assless chaps I guess.

Still have them.  Caused quite a stir at my Catholic high school.

Theater was great for hooking up in high school.  Theater chicks were into some freaky (for high school) ish.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2019, 09:19:56 AM »
If you're in Chicago and into theater, highly recommend Broadway in Chicago season subscriptions. Very affordable (as low as $20/ticket if you go midweek and sit up top) way to see a variety of stuff. Skews heavily musical, but you'll get a variety of shows from Hamilton/Wicked/etc. to cash grabs like Jimmy Buffett and Dirty Dancing down to new, one-act, small cast stuff. They're also quite flexible with customizing your "season," adding/upgrading tickets to certain shows, and giving priority access when big stuff comes to town. We've probably done a half dozen seasons, and almost every show I can find something to appreciate. Even if it's not very good, there's usually an interesting story or a couple great performances to make it worth my time.

Favorite shows I've ever seen are Rent (20th anniversary tour), Hamilton, and Les Mis.
Next level down would be Book of Mormon, Lion King, Newsies, and Avenue Q (not sure how it holds up now, but 21 year-old me was dying.)

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2019, 09:22:42 AM »

I thought the music was a little lacking for something that won the Tony for Best Musical, but agreed on the humor. Very enjoyable.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2019, 09:37:58 AM »
Saw Les Mis when I was in in London. Surprisingly tickets weren’t that expensive.

But man when that first note of “Look Down” hit, I got chills.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2019, 09:48:01 AM »
I thought the music was a little lacking for something that won the Tony for Best Musical, but agreed on the humor. Very enjoyable.
Did you see it with Jefferson Mays?  He was the main reason I liked it so much.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2019, 09:50:54 AM »

We saw a play called "Puffs" off Broadway  last year which was basically the Harry Potter at Hogwarts story told through the eyes of the Hufflepuffs.  Quite funny in some places.  Had a lot of fun with some of the weird changes in the movies (like a different performer as Dumbledore in the middle of the play).

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2019, 09:51:49 AM »
Any suggestions for theaters in London? Going across the pond in April with the kids (12, 10, 4), so would have to be age appropriate.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2019, 10:04:03 AM »
Also, if anyone happens to be in NYC both Waitress and Dear Evan Hansen are worth seeing. Sara Bareilles, who wrote Waitress, will be rejoining the cast for a limited run. About a year ago I saw a production with her and Jason Mraz in the two lead roles. It was fantastic.

Interesting.  I saw Waitress awhile back with Katherine McPhee and it was just eh.  And I like Sara Bareilles.

I personally loved Book of Mormon.  Some of it was a bit aggressive and I could see how it could offend, but if you step away from that, the music is well done and there are a ton of laughs.  Its not supposed to be high brow, more Avenue Q

Any suggestions for theaters in London? Going across the pond in April with the kids (12, 10, 4), so would have to be age appropriate.

Ive seen both Aladdin and Lion King on the West End.  Believe both are playing.  Aladdin was excellent.  An extra musical number or two than the movie, but the costumes, sets, and joking dialogue is great.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2019, 10:15:22 AM »
When I was a junior at MU, I studied abroad at St. Claire’s in Oxford. They regularly had great student ticket prices to London shows as part of group outings, and the school transported students to/from Oxford/London. It didn’t hurt that the girl I liked kept going to shows, but while there, I saw Les Mis, Chicago, Miss Saigon, Annie to name a few. For me, Les Mis is as good as it gets.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2019, 10:39:07 AM »
We are not much into musicals and pretty much just see MKE Rep shows: several McGivern plays, Dick Enberg's Al McGuire and the Lombardi play a few years ago.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 11:32:26 AM by Waldo Jeffers »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2019, 11:37:23 AM »
Not the best production I've ever seen, but perhaps the coolest experience I had at a theatre was watching Twelfth Night at the Globe in London.

Little disappointing, because Twelfth Night is probably my favorite Shakespeare play and the take on it was meh, but man watching a play in the globe was special.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2019, 11:44:22 AM »

Ive seen both Aladdin and Lion King on the West End.  Believe both are playing.  Aladdin was excellent.  An extra musical number or two than the movie, but the costumes, sets, and joking dialogue is great.

Good call Wags.  Thanks.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2019, 12:35:35 PM »
I went to some show on Broadway with a chick a couple years ago. Forget what it was, but I remember I bought a wine and it was $24 and came with a lid and straw.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2019, 12:55:29 PM »
I wrote a play at MU called "The Pipe Goeth Sweet".
It was a kind of historical fiction loosely based on Edmund S. Morgan's "The Puritan Dilemma", where John Winthrop and Anne Hutchinson had a secret affair, and that was the real reason she was banished.
It sucked royally.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2019, 01:37:54 PM »
I wrote a play at MU called "The Pipe Goeth Sweet".
It was a kind of historical fiction loosely based on Edmund S. Morgan's "The Puritan Dilemma", where John Winthrop and Anne Hutchinson had a secret affair, and that was the real reason she was banished.
It sucked royally.

Sounds like it sucked royally.   ;D

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2019, 01:46:05 PM »
Sounds like it sucked royally.   ;D

Maybe I need to work on my pitch.
Come to think of it, yeah, I'm sure THAT must be the reason it never saw the stage.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2019, 01:57:42 PM »

Still ar. Know wonder ewe kept diggin' Buzz's chit while he wuz heer, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2019, 03:02:33 PM »

theBabyDavid

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2019, 03:05:39 PM »

The best way to score tix is the TKTS box at Leicester Square. Dozens of shows at discount. Since there is such a wide variety on offer there is no reason to go elsewhere (unless there is a show you absolutely must attend.)

TKTS will sell seats for up to three days in advance.

theBabyDavid

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2019, 03:14:24 PM »
When I was a junior at MU, I studied abroad at St. Claire’s in Oxford. They regularly had great student ticket prices to London shows as part of group outings, and the school transported students to/from Oxford/London. It didn’t hurt that the girl I liked kept going to shows, but while there, I saw Les Mis, Chicago, Miss Saigon, Annie to name a few. For me, Les Mis is as good as it gets.

I was based at RAF Bicester when I was flying F 16 Vipers and CJs. Oxford is one rail stop away.

We lads often headed down to Oxford where we patronized The Bear as well as The Eagle and Child. Great old pubs. I recall The Bear is about 800 years old. Imagine the catalogue of world problems solved inside those walls over eight centuries.

theBabyDavid

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2019, 03:17:54 PM »
Hamilton is brilliant. Saw it in Chicago last year. Locally, saw Book of Mormon, Rent, Lion King, and Eric Idle Exploits Monty Python in Milwaukee when they were on tour, all very good. Saw The Waitress on Broadway, it was okay. But nothing beats McGuire when it's in Milwaukee.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2019, 03:19:19 PM »

Still ar. Know wonder ewe kept diggin' Buzz's chit while he wuz heer, hey?

The Marquette Years: Zigmeister headed to the Helfaer Theatre for play practice

theBabyDavid

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2019, 03:46:25 PM »
Saw Les Mis when I was in in London. Surprisingly tickets weren’t that expensive.

But man when that first note of “Look Down” hit, I got chills.

I seen virtually every musical mentioned in this thread and totally agree that Les Miserables is head and shoulders #1. Seen it three times and would see it again in a heartbeat.

Among those not mentioned, I liked "Beautiful", the story about Carol King before her move to the west cost.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 10:49:17 AM by Lennys Tap »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2019, 08:25:24 PM »
Saw Chicago and The Producers on Broadway.

The former was OK, the latter was awesome.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2019, 07:44:58 AM »
Have seen a lot of the newer biggies: Hamilton, Chicago, Wicked, Phantom, West Side Story, Rent, Book of Mormon, Stomp, on and on, mostly in Chicago and Milwaukee, some others in excellent smaller theaters, some plays, love the ballet and symphony, all great. I’m not too much of a critic as these performers do something I can only dream of being able to do.

Biggest Surprise: American Idiot

Biggest Dud: Jesus Christ Superstar (with an aged Ted Neeley that couldn’t quite hit the money note)

Big Dad Win: Empire Strikes Back by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (played the score along with showing the movie, awesome)

London: Saw We Will Rock You (I love Queen and Freddie)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 07:57:54 AM by 21Jumpstreet »

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2019, 03:28:22 PM »
The most recent show I’ve seen on Broadway was Hamilton.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2019, 03:39:31 PM »
I saw Mamma Mia many years ago in Hong Kong with a traveling Aussie cast.  After the show - which was great - they stayed back and did a bunch more Abba songs with the orchestra.  The whole audience was dancing in the aisles for an extra 40 minutes or so.

UWSP used to do summer stock (maybe they still do) so I've been to every musical you can imagine starting from there and later in London, Broadway, Singapore, HK, and Chicago.

My one bit of advice - look for the "home" casts... the ones that stay in a single theater for years.  The cast, the set, the whole performance will be better than the traveling groups. 

London tix can be bought online just as cheap as the discount booths these days.

Some of the London theatres have really changed.  Saw Rock of Ages there and it's not even semi-formal any more.  Everyone was in shorts and t-shirts and vendors were selling beer and snacks in the aisles during the show.  It was a lot of fun.  Overall London is a lot less formal than it used to be - even for the top end shows.  No need to really dress up unless you're going to an opening or closing. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2019, 05:32:46 PM »
I, too, did theater in high school.    Including the lead in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.      Good time.   
These days, whatever is coming to town that is relatively family friendly and fits into our schedule.

I played Schroeder in "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown" when I was at MU. I also played Judd in Oklahoma with the Princeton Playhouse players at the McCarter Theatre after I graduated MU.

I still sing with the Capital Singers of Trenton.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 05:34:35 PM by muwarrior69 »

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2019, 07:40:30 PM »
I was disappointed with Book of Mormon. It was entertaining, but completely unmemorable.

I had been going regularly to Steppenwolf in Chicago. Generally pretty amazing across the board.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2019, 07:37:38 AM »
Did anybody watch "Rent Live" on Sunday night?  Unfortunately, the actor who played Roger broke his ankle in the final dress rehearsal on Saturday night and couldn't perform.  So, the show that was billed as live was actually a recording of the dress rehearsal, except for the last 10 minutes or so.  They had no understudies.  It was OK, but really kind of unfair to the cast (and audience, of course) because a dress rehearsal is never going to have the energy that they want.  It's not the performance they wanted to have broadcast, I'm sure.

I enjoy Rent and like the music, but it sure is dated/anchored in the late 90s.

Also, I wish these live productions would focus less on casting "famous" singers and more on casting people who act and sing.  Almost invariably the big name singers stick out like a sore thumb (John Legend, I'm looking at you).  Being a good singer is a far different skill than performing in a show like this.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2019, 08:56:41 AM »
The Chicago performances of Hamilton have been cancelled due to the polar vortex.   Once again, Brrrr kills Hamilton.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2019, 09:13:03 AM »
The Chicago performances of Hamilton have been cancelled due to the polar vortex.   Once again, Brrrr kills Hamilton.

Well done.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2019, 11:57:45 AM »
I had a friend recently move from Florida to Mke.  I really want to show him the Pabst theatre.   Any shows there that y’all would suggest?

Thanks

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2019, 04:03:01 PM »

Bravo!

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2019, 08:06:12 PM »
Arrival the Music of ABBA is coming to Milwaukee!!! 🥳

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2019, 07:23:52 AM »

Tower, don't take credit for that.  I saw that meme on Facebook, too.    ::)
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2019, 07:26:57 AM »
I'm not on Facebook.   My sister texted it to me and I thought it was too good to not share. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2019, 09:23:09 AM »
Did anybody watch "Rent Live" on Sunday night?  Unfortunately, the actor who played Roger broke his ankle in the final dress rehearsal on Saturday night and couldn't perform.  So, the show that was billed as live was actually a recording of the dress rehearsal, except for the last 10 minutes or so.  They had no understudies.  It was OK, but really kind of unfair to the cast (and audience, of course) because a dress rehearsal is never going to have the energy that they want.  It's not the performance they wanted to have broadcast, I'm sure.

I enjoy Rent and like the music, but it sure is dated/anchored in the late 90s.

Also, I wish these live productions would focus less on casting "famous" singers and more on casting people who act and sing.  Almost invariably the big name singers stick out like a sore thumb (John Legend, I'm looking at you).  Being a good singer is a far different skill than performing in a show like this.

Yeah watched it, wasnt very impressed by Tinashe or Valetine, but other than that I thought the cast was solid. It was an unfortunate circumstance, would have rather they had gone live with a wheel chair Roger so it's still live and filled with energy.

I wish I had been playing "what will the censors allow" drinking game. It's good to know you can say masturbation OTA but not dildos #knowledge

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2019, 09:24:17 AM »
Yeah watched it, wasnt very impressed by Tinashe or Valetine, but other than that I thought the cast was solid. It was an unfortunate circumstance, would have rather they had gone live with a wheel chair Roger so it's still live and filled with energy.

I wish I had been playing "what will the censors allow" drinking game. It's good to know you can say masturbation OTA but not dildos #knowledge

How many times have you seen this show?
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2019, 09:30:10 AM »
How many times have you seen this show?

4 times plus it's in heavy rotation on my spotify Broadway playlist

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2019, 09:52:52 AM »
4 times plus it's in heavy rotation on my spotify Broadway playlist

Before this, I saw the movie version once. Not my cup of tea as far as my preference in musicals. I think Trey Parker and Matt Stone summed it up pretty brilliantly.

Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2019, 11:07:52 AM »

More specifically, you can say, "mucho masturbation" but apparently not, "mutual masturbation."

Some of their changes were really strange.  For example, "You want to produce films and write songs?  You need somewhere to do it! It's what we used to dream about, think twice before you pooh-pooh it" became, "...you need somewhere to perfect it!  It's what we used to dream about, think twice before you reject it."

Really?  In this show, "pooh-pooh" is where they drew the line? 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2019, 11:36:30 AM »
More specifically, you can say, "mucho masturbation" but apparently not, "mutual masturbation."

Some of their changes were really strange.  For example, "You want to produce films and write songs?  You need somewhere to do it! It's what we used to dream about, think twice before you pooh-pooh it" became, "...you need somewhere to perfect it!  It's what we used to dream about, think twice before you reject it."

Another that just confused me, especially since its Fox, when they drop the whole

So that's five miso soup, four seaweed salad Three soy burger dinner, two tofu dog platter And one pasta with meatless balls

Eww

It tastes the same

If you close your eyes

Like, really? Gets a laugh every time and is hardly some sort of raunchy innuendo

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2019, 04:12:38 PM »

To be fair, the original line was awkward.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2019, 04:58:24 PM »
I was surprised they put the Contact song in, long thought that was the most bizarre choice I've seen from a major musical ever

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2019, 07:17:07 PM »
Hands down the most entertaining show I’ve seen is Jerry Springer: The Opera  while in London about 15 yrs ago.  It was supposed to come to Broadway in the mid 2000’s but  for whatever reason the Broadway production never materialized.   Porky lives in the NYC burbs, works in the city and goes to shows three or four times a year...... most recently saw Brian Cranston in Network.   With regard to Hamilton specifically don’t believe the hype that its sold out for at least six months.  Porky went to the Hamilton box office earlier today in fact and picked up two decent orchestra seats for a 2/21 performance and not crazy expensive (by Hamilton Standards anyway) for some friends that are going to be in town at that time.   I know it’s not realistic for those traveling to NYC from out of town to try their luck at the BO for the short time they’re in NYC but for scoopers in the NYC area, Porky’s advice is to always go to the theater’s box office and never ever buy tix online.  That’s by far the best way to score a decent tickets on short notice and you don’t get hit with the ridiculous service fees that the aggregators charge either!  Check out this  Jerry clip!

http://youtu.be/JzxUs6P7Vcs

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 07:21:39 PM by PorkysButthole »