[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Congrats To Tim Tebow  (Read 9285 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Congrats To Tim Tebow
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2019, 12:46:54 PM »
Once again, Boo Boo, you haven't a clue what you are talking about.  You/re very, very wrong...par for the course.

well enlighten me then tiny.  don't just say i "don't have a clue what" i am talking about without giving me something to back up your statement.  otherwise, you can leave your Christian bigotry out of this forum and start over
don't...don't don't don't don't

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2019, 12:57:40 PM »
You made up a false statement.  Then you tried to scold me based on your made up statement.  Idiotic.

Now, please go over my entire posting history and find where I've ever said anything that would remotely back up your false assertion that I would approve of an action by a Muslim while condemning the same action taken by a Christian.  I'll wait.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2019, 12:59:01 PM »
Nope.  One account.

The pontiff said that the media favorited him, totally ignoring the attacks and TDS that existed with so many not because of his play, because of what he believed.  Not cool to believe in God.....those same people willing to die on a hill however for someone to express their belief about police and others.  Interesting.

Comparisons to Kap?  I don’t recall any socks Tebow wore, maybe I missed that, but yes plenty of KDS out there, too.

I hope Tebow continues to progress in baseball, I wish him extreme joy in his marriage...Miss Universe is a beautiful woman and hopefully (more importantly a nice woman), and I hope he will one day receive the “tolerance” that we keep hearing about from people who preach tolerance.

And isn't the opposite true as well?

Why do you seem to support selective tolerance?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2019, 01:07:50 PM »
  well enlighten me then tiny.  don't just say i "don't have a clue what" i am talking about without giving me something to back up your statement.  otherwise, you can leave your Christian bigotry out of this forum and start over

People would be just as annoyed if he was writing Allahu Akbar on his eye black or starting out every interview with "First off all, nothing happens when you die".  There is no Christian bigotry, some people just don't care for religious beliefs being shoved in their face.  Some people love it, hence the cult of personality around Tebow.  Its incredible reductionist and defensive to boil it down to simple anti-Christian sentiment.

One of my best friends is quite religious, goes to mass more than once a week and neither he or his wife went to a school K through college graduation that wasn't Catholic affiliated...and he can't stand Tebow and thinks he's obnoxious.  But I'm sure its just Christian bigotry on his part as well.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2019, 01:21:57 PM »

The pontiff said that the media favorited him, totally ignoring the attacks ......

Sultan?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2019, 02:54:52 PM »
People would be just as annoyed if he was writing Allahu Akbar on his eye black or starting out every interview with "First off all, nothing happens when you die".  There is no Christian bigotry, some people just don't care for religious beliefs being shoved in their face.  Some people love it, hence the cult of personality around Tebow.  Its incredible reductionist and defensive to boil it down to simple anti-Christian sentiment.

One of my best friends is quite religious, goes to mass more than once a week and neither he or his wife went to a school K through college graduation that wasn't Catholic affiliated...and he can't stand Tebow and thinks he's obnoxious.  But I'm sure its just Christian bigotry on his part as well.
There aren't a lot of people in Markus's grill when he gives glory to God in every interview.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2019, 04:35:30 PM »
There aren't a lot of people in Markus's grill when he gives glory to God in every interview.   
I think a lot of the blame for anti-Tebow sentiment can be laid on ESPN for relentlessly shoving this obviously very poor NFL quarterback down everyone's throats and trying to convince the public that he was (pardon the pun) the second coming.  The trade off for Tebow, of course, is that the publicity has earned him millions and millions and millions of dollars that his athletic ability alone would never have managed.

If ESPN lead off every broadcast breathlessly taking about Markus, yet he was a 23% shooter from 3,  and after every made basket he made the sign of the cross and pointed to the sky he'd get a lot of blowback as well I imagine.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2019, 04:58:14 PM »
You made up a false statement.  Then you tried to scold me based on your made up statement.  Idiotic.

Now, please go over my entire posting history and find where I've ever said anything that would remotely back up your false assertion that I would approve of an action by a Muslim while condemning the same action taken by a Christian.  I'll wait.

i find it unnecessary to review your entire posting history to make my point  what i was alluding to was your making light of the fact that he prays and i simply stated that you wouldn't make that same smart a$$ comment if he were muslim.  maybe you haven't said anything anti-muslim to date, that's not my point.  if tim tebow were muslim, would you have said, yeah, maybe he and his fiance could share the same prayer rug or wash their feet together?  i would hope not.

ya see, Christians are mocked way too easily.  i like a good off color joke probably more than most here.  my point is as stated.  you are part of the group-think that believes it's ok or in vogue to pile on Christians for whatever reason. 

for those of you who think TT wears his religion too much on his sleeve or whatever, what about all the athletes who are making the sign of the cross, pointing up to the sky, kneeling after a touchdown, whatever. are they pushing religion?  the post game interviews where an athlete will give thanks to his creator, God(gasp!) etc...  TT has done many more things that have gone without fanfare-the media must not have had a slow enough of a news day to report all of his good deeds

just saying,  we would have a much better society if we had more people of TT's character

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2019, 05:06:48 PM »
  i find it unnecessary to review your entire posting history to make my point  what i was alluding to was your making light of the fact that he prays and i simply stated that you wouldn't make that same smart a$$ comment if he were muslim.  maybe you haven't said anything anti-muslim to date, that's not my point.  if tim tebow were muslim, would you have said, yeah, maybe he and his fiance could share the same prayer rug or wash their feet together?  i would hope not.
So you are admitting that you are absolutely wrong, and then you are doubling down on being wrong again.  Dope.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2019, 05:09:17 PM »
I think a lot of the blame for anti-Tebow sentiment can be laid on ESPN for relentlessly shoving this obviously very poor NFL quarterback down everyone's throats and trying to convince the public that he was (pardon the pun) the second coming.  The trade off for Tebow, of course, is that the publicity has earned him millions and millions and millions of dollars that his athletic ability alone would never have managed.

If ESPN lead off every broadcast breathlessly taking about Markus, yet he was a 23% shooter from 3,  and after every made basket he made the sign of the cross and pointed to the sky he'd get a lot of blowback as well I imagine.

Very true.  As for Markus, ask fans, sportswriters, etc and his faith doesn't come up.  Similarly Steph Curry.  There is a difference between acknowledging it and it being the crux of your personal brand, especially cultivated playing in the South.

I have nothing against Tebow himself.  I know people who have interacted with him and all speak well of him, if not say hes a bit goofy.  I don't need the relentless hype machine behind him and I don't need the fans who over-glorified everything he did.  Rocket claims he's a victim of this overwhelming anti-Christian hate and sentiment yet I heard countless people in person, online, or as a talking head speak of how he was going to be successful because of how hard he worked or how passionate he was, as if all other professional athletes just coasted, or countless other bromides because they liked Tebow or his story.

If people are sick of someone's overexposure, everything they do will get a bit annoying.  Signature celebrations, catchphrases, whatever.  Tebow got insanely overhyped and his brand was a very outspoken Christian message.  Its not crazy to be tired of that and not have to be some anti-Christian bigot.  Ive ripped on Tebow countless times on this board and I consider myself a person of faith.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2019, 05:11:11 PM »

i am by no means a TT kool-aid drinker, but you seem to forget he had a pretty damn good college career.  a pro/nfl qb he was not.  espn used the fact that he was a high draft pick, struggling in the nfl knowing damn well it was putting the spotlight on his Christianity and let that speak for itself.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2019, 07:28:08 AM »
Crucified = a Heisman trophy, first-round draft pick, multiple chances to play pro football despite being bad at it, a hosting gig on ABC, a hosting gig on ESPN, a New York Times besteller and a professional contract in a sport he hadn't played in more than a decade.
He's for sure had a rough go of it.

Yep, Tim's just another rich, white, Christian male who can't catch a break in an American society that so obviously favors poor folks, people of color, Muslims/Jews/atheists and women.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2019, 09:30:11 AM »
Yep, Tim's just another rich, white, Christian male who can't catch a break in an American society that so obviously favors poor folks, people of color, Muslims/Jews/atheists and women.

Well, it's not just that.
It's inarguable that a number of people have said rude, unpleasant and unkind things about Tebow because of his public expressions of faith.  Those people are jerks.
But beyond that, there's been no tangible harm done to him as a result.
To label it as being crucified is asinine hyperbole from someone trying way to hard to portray people like himself as victims of modern society.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2019, 09:33:21 AM »
It's inarguable that a number of people have said rude, unpleasant and unkind things about Tebow because of his public expressions of faith.  Those people are jerks.
To label it as being crucified is asinine hyperbole from someone trying way to hard to portray people like himself as victims of modern society.

Superb point, Pakuni.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2019, 09:40:11 AM »
Very true.  As for Markus, ask fans, sportswriters, etc and his faith doesn't come up.  Similarly Steph Curry.  There is a difference between acknowledging it and it being the crux of your personal brand, especially cultivated playing in the South.

I have nothing against Tebow himself.  I know people who have interacted with him and all speak well of him, if not say hes a bit goofy.  I don't need the relentless hype machine behind him and I don't need the fans who over-glorified everything he did.  Rocket claims he's a victim of this overwhelming anti-Christian hate and sentiment yet I heard countless people in person, online, or as a talking head speak of how he was going to be successful because of how hard he worked or how passionate he was, as if all other professional athletes just coasted, or countless other bromides because they liked Tebow or his story.

If people are sick of someone's overexposure, everything they do will get a bit annoying.  Signature celebrations, catchphrases, whatever.  Tebow got insanely overhyped and his brand was a very outspoken Christian message.  Its not crazy to be tired of that and not have to be some anti-Christian bigot.  Ive ripped on Tebow countless times on this board and I consider myself a person of faith.

I think it's mostly this. People get annoyed about LeBron, Zion, etc the same way. In the case of TT, there's an extra element to pick on.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2019, 11:08:46 AM »
So you are admitting that you are absolutely wrong, and then you are doubling down on being wrong again.  Dope.

The “t” is for tiny right?  Have a good one ;)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2019, 11:27:29 AM »

You get to judge how harmful the verbal attacks against him are?

He’s on record the vitriol that has been thrown his way. Attacks against his mom and family.  I’m going to guess if this was against someone of a non Christian faith there would be UNIVERSAL condemnation, but since he’s a football player and Christian...well he’s big boy and will just have to deal with it.  His mom, and family are just collateral damage and oh well.  Sad.

So then anyone else can decide that any comments against others aren’t that big a deal then, too....right?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 11:31:06 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2019, 11:36:59 AM »
You get to judge how harmful the verbal attacks against him are?

NM.
Let's just say that as a devout Christian, I tend to believe Tim Tebow wouldn't label people saying mean things about him as a crucifixion.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 12:20:51 PM by Pakuni »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2019, 03:03:46 PM »

NM.
Let's just say that as a devout Christian, I tend to believe Tim Tebow wouldn't label people saying mean things about him as a crucifixion.

That's ok, journalists were saying it.  I found about 25 examples, hopefully one is enough but happy to share more.  Point is let's not ignore the crap he took because of his beliefs.  If he had different religious beliefs, he would be backed by the same people that slammed him.  That's the hypocrisy.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/15/tim-tebows-sexy-jesus-pose-gq-photo_n_1778500.html
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 03:38:48 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2019, 03:26:33 PM »
And if he was as out front with his beliefs that were something other than Christian, the same people trying to claim he is being picked on would be the ones doing the criticizing, a la Kaepernick.     Hypocrisy goes both ways, Jamie.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2019, 03:36:50 PM »
That's ok, journalists were saying it.  I found about 25 examples, hopefully one is enough but happy to share more.  Point is let's not ignore the crap the took because of his beliefs.  If he had different religious beliefs, he would be backed by the same people that slammed him.  That's they hypocrisy.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/15/tim-tebows-sexy-jesus-pose-gq-photo_n_1778500.html

Classic Chico's. Make up a scenario that never happened - in this case, people slamming Tebow while backing identical actions by people of different faiths - and then claiming those imaginary examples prove his point.

Reality: Tim Tebow has ascended to heights and been given opportunities well within - if not far beyond - his talents, in large part because of the cult of personality built around him, in no small measure due to his outspokenness about his faith. The notion that he's been crucified because of his faith is dumb, and I very much suspect he would be insulted by your claim that he has.

And if we really want to get into hypocrisy, how about this place's two biggest anti-PC warriors whining about how mistreated Tim Tebow has been.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 03:43:53 PM by Pakuni »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2019, 03:41:20 PM »
And if he was as out front with his beliefs that were something other than Christian, the same people trying to claim he is being picked on would be the ones doing the criticizing, a la Kaepernick.     Hypocrisy goes both ways, Jamie.

Kap got some of his criticisms because of his Pig Socks, don't you think?  And yes, hypocrisy does go both ways.  Never said it didn't. I was originally pointing out the ridiculous claims he was put on a pedestal by some while totally ignoring the hatred and intolerance (by those claiming to be tolerant at every turn).  Indeed, it goes both ways.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2019, 03:50:57 PM »
Classic Chico's. Make up a scenario that never happened - in this case, people slamming Tebow while backing identical actions by people of different faiths - and then claiming those imaginary examples prove his point.

What are you talking about?  Are you saying there aren't those in media and elsewhere that slammed Tebow, but have done the exact opposite to others because they had a different belief system?  I just want to make sure I understand you correctly since that seems to be your claim and you say those examples are imaginary and a made up scenario?

Do I have this correct?  Thanks

Secondly, he got drafted in the first round because of his beliefs (n large part because of the cult of personality built around him)?  Really. I've been around the NFL, their teams, for the better part of 15 years.  You sure about this?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2019, 03:59:41 PM »
What are you talking about?  Are you saying there aren't those in media and elsewhere that slammed Tebow, but have done the exact opposite to others because they had a different belief system?  I just want to make sure I understand you correctly since that seems to be your claim and you say those examples are imaginary and a made up scenario?

Do I have this correct?  Thanks

Secondly, he got drafted in the first round because of his beliefs (n large part because of the cult of personality built around him)?  Really. I've been around the NFL, their teams, for the better part of 15 years.  You sure about this?

Yes, I'm saying you're inventing people who have slammed Tebow for his religious displays on the field while also backing Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, wiccans and satanists for their religious displays on the field.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2019, 04:12:40 PM »
Yes, I'm saying you're inventing people who have slammed Tebow for his religious displays on the field while also backing Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, wiccans and satanists for their religious displays on the field.

Then you are interpreting incorrectly.  I'm talking about people that slammed Tebow for having public religious displays while those same people praised others of different beliefs for having public religious displays.  Why the difference?  Why is it the religion followed was the discerning factor?  Doesn't seem right to me.

The whole knee thing, that's another kettle of worms.  Folks like Dan Zirin, Dan Bernstein, Bill Press and on and on, with some rather colorful comments about Tebow taking a knee vs someone else taking a knee.  Interesting.  Zirin said the NFL "is moving backwards 30 to 40 years" for allowing Tebow to take a knee in prayer.  Said Kap was an inspiration for taking a knee in protest.  Feels like a double standard when I read them.  One feels like an attack on religion to me, but that's just my take.  There are many other examples if interested. Some websites did a great job of capturing all those imagined scenarios and examples.   ;)

And Tebow was drafted in the first round because of his beliefs and the build up of those beliefs?  Can you clarify that?  NFL teams are extremely thorough on players, they will take guys that sometimes are on the border from a behavior perspective because their athletic talents are so high.  But what you seem to be suggesting is that despite some NFL scouts rating him outside the first round and others rating him inside, he got drafted 1st round because of his beliefs?  "in large part...."  Now, NFL misses on talent evaluation all the time (Ryan Leaf, etc, etc), but to take someone in the first round that usually means 1st round talent, maybe second round on a flier.  You tend to take chances of guys, later on in my opinion.