[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: OT Out-of-Bounds Call  (Read 6115 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: OT Out-of-Bounds Call
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 09:29:09 PM »
Great point here. Ballock was mouthing off to the refs on multiple occasions.

A ton of push back on my Joey travel observation. I want to make it clear that the no-call on Markus was way more egregious.

Speaking of bad calls and bug moments - and apologies if this one has been discussed: recall the no-call on Joey’s drive that led to Wojo’s T? Anybody else agree that was actually motivated by events immediately preceding that play: the no-call on Chartouny being hacked while driving after we had cut the deficit to 4, then Creighton hitting a 3 immediately after.

Wojo was hot - and with good reason. I believe it was around the 8 minute mark and Creighton only had 1 team foul. After that, the fouls evened out. And the fouls on the big men hedging screens finally started getting called. I believe that finally got Markus the space that he’d needed to get going and opened up the offense as a whole.

The no-call on Joe was egregious.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 09:33:44 PM »
Also .. Morrow's technical for hanging on the rim was bogus.  Typically, that's given for celebrating a dunk, which was not the case as it was a missed rebound .. but second, there was a player underneath Morrow that he didn't want to fall on.

5 minutes later, a CU player hangs on the rim even longer .. with nobody under him .. no call. 

Neither should have been a T, but the 2nd time it happened would have been a perfect make-up call moment.

edit: Morrow.  Further edit: Was called on Wojo. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:01:30 PM by mu_hilltopper »

squirrel

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 09:36:44 PM »
Also .. Theo's technical for hanging on the rim was bogus.  Typically, that's given for celebrating a dunk, which was not the case as it was a missed rebound .. but second, there was a player underneath Theo that he didn't want to fall on.

5 minutes later, a CU player hangs on the rim even longer .. with nobody under him .. no call. 

Neither should have been a T, but the 2nd time it happened would have been a perfect make-up call moment.

The Tech was on Wojo for complaining about how Joey was fouled on the drive, no?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2019, 09:37:26 PM »
Also .. Theo's technical for hanging on the rim was bogus.  Typically, that's given for celebrating a dunk, which was not the case as it was a missed rebound .. but second, there was a player underneath Theo that he didn't want to fall on.

It was Morrow, but also he was trying to a follow up dunk so it was a doubly dumb call...though I didn't realize there was a T there, I thought it was just on Wojo.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2019, 09:38:15 PM »
It was Morrow, but also he was trying to a follow up dunk so it was a doubly dumb call...though I didn't realize there was a T there, I thought it was just on Wojo.

I thought it was on Wojo, too.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2019, 09:38:22 PM »
It was on wojo
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2019, 09:39:08 PM »

I thought Morrow had jumped for a rebound and grabbed the rim to avoid landing on the Creighton guy under the basket.  I don't think he intended on a put back dunk.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2019, 09:39:15 PM »

If the T was on Ed for hanging on the rim that's even worse.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2019, 09:39:25 PM »
Oh.  That would make more sense.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2019, 09:40:39 PM »
Official box score says:

Technical fouls: #21 Marquette-TEAM.

No idea what that means, but quite sure it was on Wojo.

Oh, and Joey was definitely pushed before the travel. The guy had two hands on Joey's back. And Joey calmly hit the FTs. Good man!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2019, 09:40:58 PM »
The Tech was on Wojo for complaining about how Joey was fouled on the drive, no?

Technically yes but I think he was pissed about the Joe one just before.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2019, 09:41:05 PM »
It was absolutely on Wojo.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2019, 09:41:59 PM »
I disagree. The foul called was for a push which if called would be the reason for the travel. Without a foul called it’s a travel

Agreed

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2019, 09:42:39 PM »
Maquette is up 6 with the ball and a minute left, i felt about as confident mu would win at that point as Creighton prolky did at the end of regulation.
That call n the SJU call against seton hall are tge two worst calls i have seen in a long long long long time.  Unexplainable and simply horrible.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2019, 09:43:50 PM »
I thought it was on Wojo, too.

I think it was. Checked the boxscore and Morrow had 2 fouls. Both were regular personals, so no technical on him.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2019, 09:48:43 PM »
How did the ref miss Joey’s 3? He’s literally 5 feet from that and is 3 or 4 inches behind the line. For once, thanks for replay...

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2019, 09:51:56 PM »
Once again it’s important to point out that the game is just way too fast for the poor quality of refs that dominate college basketball.  There needs to be a better solution.  These guys missed 10-15 calls and got another 10-15 wrong.   Unfortunately that’s the norm.   Until a major conference does something about it, it will get worse.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2019, 09:53:14 PM »
Once again it’s important to point out that the game is just way too fast for the poor quality of refs that dominate college basketball.  There needs to be a better solution.  These guys missed 10-15 calls and got another 10-15 wrong.   Unfortunately that’s the norm.   Until a major conference does something about it, it will get worse.
Robot refs?  With laser beams? 
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2019, 09:54:57 PM »

What is your proposal?

I ref basketball. It is brutally difficult to officiate. And I only do youth rec leagues now. When I used to do high school, at the end of the night I assumed I missed several calls.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2019, 09:58:01 PM »
@JayBilas 34m

Incredible end to regulation in Marquette-Creighton. First, throwing long with .8 up 3 points is the only way you can lose. Inbound under the basket, game is over. Second, closest replay review for the officials you can have. Wow.
That’s exactly what I thought when it happened, if McDermott called that...what a coaching gaffe. Literally just have to inbound without passing directly to an MU player and game is over.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2019, 09:58:50 PM »
Must have been a make up call for not retracting Sam’s shot.  That’s the only reasonable conclusion one can draw from that call, especially after reviewing it.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2019, 10:02:27 PM »
What is your proposal?

I ref basketball. It is brutally difficult to officiate. And I only do youth rec leagues now. When I used to do high school, at the end of the night I assumed I missed several calls.
My proposal is full time refs.   Properly trained, have to pass annual fitness (and vision) tests, with a ranking system so the best refs get the top 25 games.  Similar to the NBA model.   It works there.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2019, 10:11:24 PM »
My proposal is full time refs.   Properly trained, have to pass annual fitness (and vision) tests, with a ranking system so the best refs get the top 25 games.  Similar to the NBA model.   It works there.
Not really. Reffing is hard, they all miss there share of calls, some worse than others.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2019, 10:13:26 PM »

Do you watch a lot of NBA ball? They miss a ton of calls, too. The NBA even comes out afterward to document all the huge calls they miss in the last minute of games. It's just a brutally difficult game to officiate. Refs can call something almost every trip down the court.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2019, 10:54:42 PM »
There were a few obviously bad calls on both sides. The only thing I truly didn't like was the T on Wojo and the no T for McDermott or Ballock later in the game when they were getting in the refs faces and certainly looked like they were saying things not appropriate for young ears. Gotta call those if you are going to get Wojo earlier in the game.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.