Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 03:19:42 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by tower912
[Today at 02:57:23 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: OT Out-of-Bounds Call  (Read 6117 times)

Tha Hound

• All American
OT Out-of-Bounds Call
« on: January 09, 2019, 08:55:09 PM »
In OT, Markus dribbled the ball up the court and into the corner. He had what looked like his arm hit and he lost control. A blue jay player grabbed the ball off the bounce and clearly dribbled it out bounds. The refs gave the ball back to Creighton? Did I miss something? They even reviewed the play? How could anyone with two eyes give the ball to Creighton?

I know we won, but still. That came at a crucial, crucial point of OT. To miss a call like that is disgraceful.

real chili 83

• All American
Re: OT Out-of-Bounds Call
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 08:56:01 PM »
agreed. What are we missing?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 08:56:11 PM »
In OT, Markus dribbled the ball up the court and into the corner. He had what looked like his arm hit and he lost control. A blue jay player grabbed the ball off the bounce and clearly dribbled it out bounds. The refs gave the ball back to Creighton? Did I miss something? They even reviewed the play? How could anyone with two eyes give the ball to Creighton?

I know we won, but still. That came at a crucial, crucial point of OT. To miss a call like that is disgraceful.

It was horrendous and I'd love to hear an explanation.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 08:57:27 PM »
The worst part is it was reviewed. That was unreal
No Finish Line

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 08:58:02 PM »
They reviewed it and still got it wrong.    Although..... the camera angle along the baseline made it look like it may not have touched the line.    From the overhead shot, it looked like it did.   I wonder if they decided it didn't hit the line and Creighton got it due to the inadvertent whistle.    No idea, though.    Just spit balling. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 08:59:15 PM »
Agree with all of the above. Couldn’t have been more obvious. However - I think the no-call on Joey’s travel later on almost made up for it.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 09:00:11 PM »
And it lead to a made three point shot by CU.  The announcers even said, yup, thats gonna be MU ball.  Once the refs said CU ball, the announcers didn't even question it.  It was the strangest call of the year. 

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 09:00:46 PM »
The worst part is it was reviewed. That was unreal
Exactly. Like did they come out of that review and huddle and say that there actually was conclusive evidence that it is Creighton ball?  I get that you can't call the foul they missed but just how do you miss that

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 09:01:27 PM »
I’ll take our win in sams shot vs our loss on Markus OOB. 

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 09:01:48 PM »
Agree with all of the above. Couldn’t have been more obvious. However - I think the no-call on Joey’s travel later on almost made up for it.
I disagree. The foul called was for a push which if called would be the reason for the travel. Without a foul called it’s a travel
No Finish Line

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 09:02:27 PM »

The refs made a HUGE deal out of the missed call on Joey's travel.

But said NOTHING about markus' arm getting hacked during this OOB replay.

Weird.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 09:02:42 PM »
They reviewed it and still got it wrong.    Although..... the camera angle along the baseline made it look like it may not have touched the line.    From the overhead shot, it looked like it did.   I wonder if they decided it didn't hit the line and Creighton got it due to the inadvertent whistle.    No idea, though.    Just spit balling.

Would that be a jump ball though? Which MU would have gotten.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 09:02:47 PM »

DIsagree. He was pushed before he even caught the ball, or at least at the exact moment. The momentum from the push caused him to take the extra steps. THought they got that one right.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 09:02:55 PM »
yep. I think the refs thought Joey must have been pushed. Clearly a walk. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 09:03:33 PM »
Would that be a jump ball though? Which MU would have gotten.

I am not claiming to know.   Tossing out one possibility.   It looked to me like they screwed up, too. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 09:04:18 PM »
The refs made a HUGE deal out of the missed call on Joey's travel.

But said NOTHING about markus' arm getting hacked during this OOB replay.

Weird.

Joey was fouled immediately. The guy had both hands on him as he caught the ball and call was made right away.  The Howard call on the other hand...brutal.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 09:07:04 PM »
I didnt think the ball ever went out of bounds...not sure how that ended up a CU ball either. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 09:08:32 PM »
yep. I think the refs thought Joey must have been pushed. Clearly a walk.

The defender had two hands on Joey.

OOB vs Markus was awful.

But given the way the game went into OT, I am not gonna complain about our luck tonight!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 09:09:39 PM »
I disagree. The foul called was for a push which if called would be the reason for the travel. Without a foul called it’s a travel

Yes.  This.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 09:10:31 PM »
it was clearly MU ball.  Joey was pushed which caused the travel.

Also did not know it was ok for a player to tell a ref he is F'n terrible and not get T'd up.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 09:11:35 PM »
@JayBilas 34m

Incredible end to regulation in Marquette-Creighton. First, throwing long with .8 up 3 points is the only way you can lose. Inbound under the basket, game is over. Second, closest replay review for the officials you can have. Wow.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Warrior1

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 09:12:23 PM »
It was a quick replay. My suspicion was the ref only watched Markus hand throwing the ball towards out of bounds but didn’t continue the play to see Creighton tip it back?

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 09:14:36 PM »
I honestly think they weren't looking past when the ball was near Markus' hand.  I don't think they realized it didn't go out of bounds at that point.

I'm laying out a scenario where the refs just had a brain fart rather than being completely incompetent.  Well, I guess they were either way you look at that review

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 09:18:36 PM »

Inadvertent whistle is the only comprehensible answer.   But can an IW be reviewed?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 09:25:22 PM »
it was clearly MU ball.  Joey was pushed which caused the travel.

Also did not know it was ok for a player to tell a ref he is F'n terrible and not get T'd up.

Great point here. Ballock was mouthing off to the refs on multiple occasions.

A ton of push back on my Joey travel observation. I want to make it clear that the no-call on Markus was way more egregious.

Speaking of bad calls and bug moments - and apologies if this one has been discussed: recall the no-call on Joey’s drive that led to Wojo’s T? Anybody else agree that was actually motivated by events immediately preceding that play: the no-call on Chartouny being hacked while driving after we had cut the deficit to 4, then Creighton hitting a 3 immediately after.

Wojo was hot - and with good reason. I believe it was around the 8 minute mark and Creighton only had 1 team foul. After that, the fouls evened out. And the fouls on the big men hedging screens finally started getting called. I believe that finally got Markus the space that he’d needed to get going and opened up the offense as a whole.